Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738833 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5490 on: May 24, 2022, 05:35:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm about to give up on Ace based on the same type of issue as above. After ripping both an AF1 pivot cup and now the prototype Riptide ones they were kind enough to send me to try out, I'm tired of dealing with a truck that can't handle the abuse all other trucks seem to do just fine at. But god damn I will miss that turn...
[close]

You’re hooked. You’ll be back.  :)

I get pissed about the pivot cups too -but then I remember all the years of having to tap my axles back to center 3-4 times a session with Indys. Can’t win for trying.
[close]

Weird I've been skating Indy for at least 12 years straight and none of my pairs have ever needed a tap back to center. Was that more common prior to Stage 10?

Ben made a video about the stage 7 and brings up axel slip so Indy must have fixed it by stage 8/9

https://youtu.be/EvZkzgOpOQ4

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5491 on: May 25, 2022, 02:14:31 PM »
Well, after ditching my Ace AF1’s for a while to try lighter trucks (Thunder and Indy Titanium), I gave them another try on my new deck with a slightly shorter wheelbase. I think I’m hooked again.

Are my pops higher than with other trucks? No.
Are my flip tricks going better? No.
Do they feel more stable? Yes.

Although it’s not a perfect truck for me, I just like my board best with Aces setup. For me, Ace trucks are like a girl who is not ‘your type’, but somehow you still most enjoy spending time with.

pops

• Rep: 218
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5492 on: May 25, 2022, 11:35:24 PM »
Shame some of you have such bad luck with the pivot cups. Every time I read this thread I check my Aces for cup damage and keep thinking its bound to happen but nope... and I'm a heavy bastard that loves to smash his trucks into things...

I have AF1 55s, 60s and 66s set up at the moment and so far no damage... touch wood...

Same here, no issues except the occasional clicking on AF1s. I have four sets of Aces atm. I've put some heavy stress on my Classics lately but they just keep going.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5493 on: May 26, 2022, 03:29:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Shame some of you have such bad luck with the pivot cups. Every time I read this thread I check my Aces for cup damage and keep thinking its bound to happen but nope... and I'm a heavy bastard that loves to smash his trucks into things...

I have AF1 55s, 60s and 66s set up at the moment and so far no damage... touch wood...
[close]

Same here, no issues except the occasional clicking on AF1s. I have four sets of Aces atm. I've put some heavy stress on my Classics lately but they just keep going.

I'm 250 now but even at 300 I wasn't blowing out my pivot cups. Are the pivot cups bad or are you guys jamming into slappies to heavy.

I also ride my trucks pretty loose but haven't had this clicking issue ever.

somefucker

« Reply #5494 on: May 26, 2022, 04:04:04 AM »
my shop just got in these really sick metallic highlighter gold Ace 60s (8.75") hollow kp

if they made a 55 of this i'd try, i loved my indy hollows

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #5495 on: June 05, 2022, 05:21:58 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that the anodized AF1 truck smell like sulfur as you grind away at the anodized part? I suspect I'll get through the color on the baseplate and it won't happen any longer.

I'm a few sessions in on the AF1s and they're great. The grind, the turn, everything. Honestly, it doesn't feel too much different from the Classics - I don't notice a huge difference, except that the overall appearance and quality of the truck seems to be improved. I keep checking the pivot cup to see if it's getting damaged, but it's chugging along just fine. They finally started clicking yesterday, but it's intermittent and usually only with a really deep turn.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

nevrwasben

« Reply #5496 on: June 05, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
my shop just got in these really sick metallic highlighter gold Ace 60s (8.75") hollow kp

if they made a 55 of this i'd try, i loved my indy hollows
Tactics has hollows in multiple sizes, but they’re lows…

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5497 on: June 05, 2022, 08:17:06 PM »
I think I'm off the AF1 it's a solid truck but after going back to the Classic 44 it's such a goldilocks size at 8.35
Combined with the soft butter metal I'm stocking up for life.

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.

IpathCats

« Reply #5498 on: June 05, 2022, 08:25:30 PM »
I think I'm off the AF1 it's a solid truck but after going back to the Classic 44 it's such a goldilocks size at 8.35

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.

44 classics are nice if you swap your boards up between 8.25 and 8.5, I always liked that the felt at home on any setup in that range. Never been a fan of 8.5 trucks on 8.25 boards, idk how so many people like that.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5499 on: June 05, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »
I know someone running 169s on an 8.25

IpathCats

« Reply #5500 on: June 05, 2022, 08:50:04 PM »

Ouch. I know plenty of people are into some hot rod, but that sounds like hell to me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #5501 on: June 05, 2022, 09:40:16 PM »

Pics of this travesty

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5502 on: June 06, 2022, 04:13:02 AM »
Expand Quote

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.
[close]

44 classics are nice if you swap your boards up between 8.25 and 8.5, I always liked that the felt at home on any setup in that range. Never been a fan of 8.5 trucks on 8.25 boards, idk how so many people like that.

I'm actually running 8.63-8.75 deck with them, slight magic carpet but I love this setup!

I can't do 8.25 for some weird mental reason I'm sure everybody in this thread can relate.

IpathCats

« Reply #5503 on: June 06, 2022, 04:55:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.
[close]

[close]

I'm actually running 8.63-8.75 deck with them, slight magic carpet but I love this setup!

I can't do 8.25 for some weird mental reason I'm sure everybody in this thread can relate.

Some wide wheels and washers on the inside and I'm sure it's not too bad.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5504 on: June 06, 2022, 07:10:22 AM »

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.

44 Classics and the 8.5 AF1 are the exact same hanger width, how are they feeling too wide?

IpathCats

« Reply #5505 on: June 06, 2022, 08:53:05 AM »
Expand Quote

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.
[close]

44 Classics and the 8.5 AF1 are the exact same hanger width, how are they feeling too wide?

Axel width

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5506 on: June 06, 2022, 08:54:32 AM »
Axel width doesn't impact performance but can look annoying if it is too far off deck width and perhaps be scary for the primo prone.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5507 on: June 06, 2022, 09:49:20 AM »
Axel width doesn't impact performance but can look annoying if it is too far off deck width and perhaps be scary for the primo prone.

Your foot can get caught on it while pushing and such if it's really far off.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5508 on: June 06, 2022, 10:06:34 AM »
True.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5509 on: June 06, 2022, 11:16:34 AM »
Expand Quote

The 8.25 are too small

The 8.50 are too wide

The 8.35 is just right.
[close]

The 44 classics are 8.35 and don't come in 8.5

If I'm skating a deck the exact same width as the hangers it feels gross and has a weird tipping point for flip tricks

I was hyped when the 8.25 hangers came out but I couldn't skate them at all.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5510 on: June 06, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »
Hanger width Vs Axle width. Very different thing. Af1 55s vs Classic 44s have a very similar HANGER width.

You will likely never skate a hangers the same width as your deck.

IpathCats

« Reply #5511 on: June 06, 2022, 11:28:57 AM »
Hanger width Vs Axle width. Very different thing. Af1 55s vs Classic 44s have a very similar HANGER width.

the ultimate hot rod. though @LebowskisRug was just mentioning someone running 169s on an 8.25, probably pretty close

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5512 on: June 06, 2022, 11:38:21 AM »

Oh I see the AXLES feel gross in 8.25 as well as 8.50

8.35 44 classics AXLES are the last truck I buy

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5513 on: June 11, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
Got a small question about the AF1's; what exactly (or atleast your guys experiences with it) is the break in period? Pretty much all new trucks I get I will skate stock and mostly carve for a few hours, break them in and give it a few weeks before deciding on any bushing changes or tweaks to the truck. With the AF1's the info I'd received was that they're very soft/loose at first and firm up over time, so my expectation was I'd be starting out with a fairly loose truck to begin with, and may need to tighten as needed. First skate on em today and it felt the opposite to what I expected, far more stable than I'd anticipated. I'm a pretty light guy (140-145) so to really get them to turn I had to lean into them super hard, basically bordering on wheelbite or even the heel side wheels tipping up off the floor.

I've never ridden a truly loose pair of Indys but to me Ace are stable insofar as I know exactly what they are going to do. I can have just my front foot on the board in the middle of big push, give my ankle a wiggle to tip the board back and forth and feel 100% in control.

This post about the one foot and giving it a wiggle, absolutely none of that really occurred for me and I almost bailed a few times from leaning expecting it to turn, but it stayed solid. Do I just need to put more hours in on them or loosen the nut up a bit?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5514 on: June 11, 2022, 11:13:34 AM »
Got a small question about the AF1's; what exactly (or atleast your guys experiences with it) is the break in period? Pretty much all new trucks I get I will skate stock and mostly carve for a few hours, break them in and give it a few weeks before deciding on any bushing changes or tweaks to the truck. With the AF1's the info I'd received was that they're very soft/loose at first and firm up over time, so my expectation was I'd be starting out with a fairly loose truck to begin with, and may need to tighten as needed. First skate on em today and it felt the opposite to what I expected, far more stable than I'd anticipated. I'm a pretty light guy (140-145) so to really get them to turn I had to lean into them super hard, basically bordering on wheelbite or even the heel side wheels tipping up off the floor.

Expand Quote
I've never ridden a truly loose pair of Indys but to me Ace are stable insofar as I know exactly what they are going to do. I can have just my front foot on the board in the middle of big push, give my ankle a wiggle to tip the board back and forth and feel 100% in control.
[close]

This post about the one foot and giving it a wiggle, absolutely none of that really occurred for me and I almost bailed a few times from leaning expecting it to turn, but it stayed solid. Do I just need to put more hours in on them or loosen the nut up a bit?

I'm also 140 and all of my 3 pairs of AF1 have been stupid loose before breaking them in. Like zero resistance into wheelbite and incredible turn. I'd describe it as pretty unstable until the bushings firm up. So what you're experiencing seems really off. I want to say the "break in" only took like 15-30 minutes of carving around but I'm not sure right now.

Are any threads showing above the kingpin nut?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5515 on: June 11, 2022, 11:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm also 140 and all of my 3 pairs of AF1 have been stupid loose before breaking them in. Like zero resistance into wheelbite and incredible turn. I'd describe it as pretty unstable until the bushings firm up. So what you're experiencing seems really off. I want to say the "break in" only took like 15-30 minutes of carving around but I'm not sure right now.

I'd say it's a little bit tighter than being flush, this is stock. Maybe I should back em off a turn?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5516 on: June 11, 2022, 11:24:22 AM »
Mine look exactly the same, but definitely try it.
I'd try it the tech support way and just take them apart and reassemble them again, expecting that it fixes everything.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5517 on: June 11, 2022, 11:28:47 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

This was my experience and I’m 40 pounds heavier than you. I was expecting them to be crazy loose stock and they were extremely stable. They turn fairly nice for me if I lean into them, but that’s probably just the extra weight.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5518 on: June 11, 2022, 02:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd say it's a little bit tighter than being flush, this is stock. Maybe I should back em off a turn?

I’m not at home right now to check, but that top washer looks deeper/more cupped than what I remember, which could make them feel tighter. If you have a washer that’s more flat, give that a go and see if it helps. What you’re describing does seem way off for AF1s.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5519 on: June 12, 2022, 03:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m not at home right now to check, but that top washer looks deeper/more cupped than what I remember, which could make them feel tighter. If you have a washer that’s more flat, give that a go and see if it helps. What you’re describing does seem way off for AF1s.

Hm, good point. I have a bunch of flat washers laying around that I would've put on eventually but I prefer to break in as stock - will throw them on and report back.