Author Topic: Losing interest for skateboarding.  (Read 7891 times)

HeavenAndHell

Losing interest for skateboarding.
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
Well title says it all, I'm wondering if you guys could help me get more interested in skateboarding. Or should I just take it as a sign and move on.

Also I started skating in the Summer of 1997.

LemonParty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -112
Re: Losing interest for skateboarding.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
 make a thread on sla.. nvm

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
Well title says it all, I'm wondering if you guys could help me get more interested in skateboarding. Or should I just take it as a sign and move on.

Also I started skating in the Summer of 1997.
move on... you can always come back. skating shouldnt be forced upon. as long as your not a pro it isnt a pressured committment. just come back when the urge hits you again.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »
I started in 1994, and it's something ive always been interested in. Even though I pretty much hate skateboarding now it's impossible for me to not be interested in it. I guess my point is, maybe you're over it....

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't hate the act of skateboarding. I hate what skateboarding has become, and where it is right now.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:00:21 PM by TMKF »

krookedjuice

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
go to new places. i was getting sick of skating because i skated the same park/spots every time i'd skate. i took a break and went to some different places. that i've seen driving. and i've never been more hyped on skating.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
new spots, new terrain. Go on a road trip to a city you have never skated before and wander around downtown. Its the equivalent in skateboarding to what a red light bulb that makes it look like old New Orleans does for a romantic relationship.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
if it's no more fun... just move on.
tricks are for kids , style is forever

kevbo999

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
Put the board in the closet and leave it there until you feel like skating.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »
if you take a break...don't get fat....because then you'll never come back....

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »
If you're trying to get your groove back, simply do what Stella did. Go on vacation and fuck a black guy.

burl chung

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
suck a cheetahs dick

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
Do what you're sincerely interested in. If it's in your blood, you'll be back.

If you're just in a slump, definitely skate some new spots or take a trip, as mentioned above. Or take on a new challenge: ledges, tranny, flat, whatever. Over the last couple of years I started skating ledges a little more, and I'm so hyped on the challenge. I'd always been a stairs/gaps and flatground kind of guy. I could count my ledge tricks on one hand...never really gave ledges a proper go. Mix it up!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
You should injure yourself. Completely serious here, it really shows you how much skating means to you. I was kinda over skateboarding last summer but I ended up breaking a few bones in my foot and my collarbone so I couldn't skate at all for an entire semester. I've been back on board since the beginning of the year and I've been having so much fun, it just feels fucking great to just have the opportunity and ability to skate when I couldn't for that period of time
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
Take a break...learn or skate something new. I've lost my drive for skating a few times. Either I got bored or occupied with something else. But with my hiatus, I always have a passions for skating. I've been interested in the industry and mags/videos will never get old. Like everyone else typed, if you lost the love and enjoyment of skating, quit. There's no reason to keep doing something you hate.

spare change

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:51 PM »
It all depends on what you truly get out of skating.Are you just going to the same spots doing the same tricks with the same people every time you roll? Being stuck in a rut is miserable, and only you can alleviate this.Make a change.Go somewhere new, meet new people, step outside your comfort zone. It's your life and your time.Do as you wish with it. Participating in any activity without committing your self is meaningless.
Skating 20+ years and I still find myself learning something new or approaching things differently.Perspective is everything, I advise you get some.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 02:09:54 AM »
I moved into a new town 4 years ago and I lost my interest in going out and skate from year to year. it basicly sucks here. there is no real scene, 2-3 street spots with bad flatground. this year was amazingly bad ... writing my final paper takes so much time, too.

then I went to copenhagen this summer, visiting my family there. I went out skating 5 times within 10 days and I really felt that it's still the best thing to do. I'm really into photography, I have shows and it could be my job at some, then I will receive my social work degree n 2 months and that job can be fun too. and I have awesome sex these days, the chick loves it wild. but damn, skateboarding is something different. a nice spot, some little tricks, some cruising, pushing, getting more control and just enjoying - nothing can beat that. skateboarding is still here, you just need to refill it with the good stuff

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 02:32:29 AM »
go to this site, look at the 411's, videos you did when you first started and you'll get hyped!
http://skate.ly/library/

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 03:30:48 AM »
get nostalgic, take a releasing shit, stretch out... that helps
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -148
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 03:32:10 AM »
go bomb a hill. that feeling never gets old.

Mark

• Rep: 2
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 04:37:12 AM »
Definitely agree with the new people/new spots/new places thing mentioned above, I'm stuck in a rut, most people seem to have lost interest over the years and the very few people who do skate, skate the same parks week after week and won't come out of the comfort zone, its a joke, I haven't lost interest, everyone else has, time to move on to new places/new people.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2221
  • computer says no
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 05:08:34 AM »
While it's true that you should do your own thing, it's also true that every skater I know that's ever quit regrets it.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:49 AM »
I don't believe that you can actually quit. On some level, you'll always be a skater. Can't really explain, but you'll probably understand

DeerTay

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
I don't believe that you can actually quit. On some level, you'll always be a skater. Can't really explain, but you'll probably understand
Real shit right there. I took a "break" for like 10 years, but even when I wasn't skating, I would see shit around and think about how fun it would be to skate it. Like Grim said too, I still regret giving it up, even though I skate every chance I get now.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 05:45:45 AM »
don't quit.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 06:06:35 AM »
you have to get exercise somehow... i don't really know a more fun way to

unless you found a more fun way to break a sweat then why would you quit? learn to skate tranny and try some tricks that are fun instead of cool.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 07:04:01 AM »
explore your surroundings

sometimes the thing you're looking for

is right in front of you.

This hallmark moment has been brought to you by Slap Magazine

HeavenAndHell

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:01 AM »
I'm putting a lot of thought of that road trip thing, my truck could only seat 2 so I'll take a bud of mine with me if it does happen. And on the skating the same spot topic, I've been skating some spots that I've been skating since 2001 or 2002 so that could be it. I might just need to go way out to find new spots. Don't let the title confuse you, I still love skateboarding. If I do stop doing it, I just won't skate, I'll support it in every way possible though. Also, my apartment complex has tons of wonderful spot, the problem is that I've been living there for 3 years and I still haven't skated any of them. Been way to busy with studying and work. I'm moving into a 3 bedroom house in a few weeks or maybe by January I'll be in there, I'm making final payments on that. It's not cheap, the house is from the 1920's, vintage house, been restored obviously. I hardly have any money for myself. After all this I told you, I could be losing interest in it because I'm not doing it as much as I used to like a year or two back because I've been way to busy.

Edit - I never thought about skating tranny before, last time I did I lost my front tooth. This was back when I was 19 or 20, 3 of 4 years ago. I got a fake one implanted in me obviously. I'm more of a stair set, hand rail, ledge type guy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:39:44 AM by HeavenAndHell »

Hola

• Rep: 56
  • 2NE1
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
do you skate street? ? i skated parks alot because of lack of friends who are down and i got bored kinda. ? last year i made a group of friends who were all 24yrs+ and almost over it,but we basically relived our childhoods skating, and exploring fun and shady places. ? skating isnt only about skating.  and you could always go out just for a couple hours, have a fun time, and then go back to the world of work and studying

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »
faggots I thought you dudes were "lifers" and I was some jock that was going to quit. never thought about quitting. this is the shit I'm talking about. you guys aren't even skateboarders.

NYCasphaltSurfer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »
I went through this a few months ago and realized that it wasn't skating that I didn't like, but the fact that the people that I skated with were turning our sessions into full day skate excursions. I just wasn't into spending most of my weekend driving all over the the place going to all of these different skateparks (this is also the primary reason why I stopped surfing regularly).

I need to get some form of regular exercise to keep myself sane and skateboarding is the most fun exercise that I've found.