Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 148708 times)

Rusty_Berrings

Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #570 on: May 18, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »

El Chupacabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #571 on: May 19, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
Dang. Ironing board status. What are those, like 169s? Looks like it would be fun.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #572 on: May 19, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
215's actually, gotta give it a layer of clear

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2014, 05:19:09 AM »
Any of you guys ever mess with cutting burs? I got some and they've been incredibly useful for a variety of applications. Tonight I used some to clean up some lines in a wood burning and then started carving another deck too. Here's what I got so far

El Chupacabra

« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2014, 06:24:15 AM »
Cool idea. I think etching a board would be super fun to do.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #575 on: May 23, 2014, 06:28:03 AM »
Here's the one I use. I use it with a 4,000 rpm flexible shaft machine but any hand tool could work.

http://www.contenti.com/products/burs/330-703.html

doublesteveburger

« Reply #576 on: June 03, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »
doodled a diddle for my friends band, I enjoy sharing my deck art with slaps resident art nerds.  ;D

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #577 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:30 AM »
nice one @double
@idealhandmades

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #578 on: June 04, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
doodled a diddle for my friends band, I enjoy sharing my deck art with slaps resident art nerds.  ;D

wow! so sick!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #579 on: June 04, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
thanks guys! working on another one as I type this, will post when finished!

louie_bk

« Reply #580 on: June 05, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »

just finished making it yesterday

doublesteveburger

« Reply #581 on: June 05, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »

fuck yes!

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #582 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

fuck yes!
that is a fucking fantastic graphic hahaha
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #583 on: June 21, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

I just did this couple of boards !

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2014, 03:31:05 AM »
Custom shape freestyle (7"x~30") deck. I can trip flip and dub fingerflip on it lol.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:48:23 AM by Rusty_Berrings »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #585 on: June 24, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
Custom shape freestyle (7"x~30") deck. I can trip flip and dub fingerflip on it lol.

Fibreglass?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #586 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fibreglass?

nah, well, one ply might be. not a big deal though. i figure since it's so skinny that the extra reinforcement ply might keep it from snapping. it's pretty fun though. i wouldn't boardslide it or anything.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #587 on: June 30, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
Im starting a little company just for fun and the idea is make some shirts and boards all at home in the weekends.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:29 AM »
This question has probably been answered already in this thread, but how many coats of clear spray paint/coating would you say is a good amount for a sanded down deck? I just recently sanded the graphic of a board off and wanted to add some protection to it before I started skating it, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it or underdoing it.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #589 on: July 22, 2014, 08:06:32 AM »
This question has probably been answered already in this thread, but how many coats of clear spray paint/coating would you say is a good amount for a sanded down deck? I just recently sanded the graphic of a board off and wanted to add some protection to it before I started skating it, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it or underdoing it.

Lots. I dont think you can have too many, honestly. Just apply it in several thin layers, so it doesn't pool up and run. I use Krylon Crystal Clear, its cheap and works really well.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
i wouldnt do a ton. just give it a shaking pass once over from all sides, let it fully dry, and rub with a rag to further buff the finish clean.
@idealhandmades

Bootsy Mooving Cooperation

• Rep: 1
    • Bootsy Mooving Cooperation avatar image
« Reply #591 on: August 29, 2014, 02:28:58 AM »
I'm starting a small board company something called Bootsy Mooving Cooperation and I figured it would make sense to post it in here
because the graphics are all originally handmade and just scanned and put together. So it's rather not the big color field stuff that is produced via Illustrator. The webstuff is not completely done (shipping issues on Bigcartel, etc) but have a look on that stuff!
Boards are made via MDCN Dist. (Polar made their boards there before they went to Generator).

http://bootsymoovingcoop.bigcartel.com/
https://www.facebook.com/bootsymoovingcoop

doublesteveburger

« Reply #592 on: September 09, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lots. I dont think you can have too many, honestly. Just apply it in several thin layers, so it doesn't pool up and run. I use Krylon Crystal Clear, its cheap and works really well.

I'd have to disagree with that, one solid coat should suffice, or else too many layers will build up making it blotchy. the krylon crystal clear can is my go to as well, stuff works like a charm, lasts, and it's under five bucks at walmart.

on a board that's going to be skated though, would you buy the satin coat or the gloss?

I'm thinking gloss... not sure though.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #593 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd have to disagree with that, one solid coat should suffice, or else too many layers will build up making it blotchy. the krylon crystal clear can is my go to as well, stuff works like a charm, lasts, and it's under five bucks at walmart.

on a board that's going to be skated though, would you buy the satin coat or the gloss?

I'm thinking gloss... not sure though.

really just depends on preference. I go high gloss

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: September 21, 2014, 03:00:59 AM »
Random question:
I have a shop deck I'm planning on buying soon that I'm gonna take the graphic off of and do something custom with. Last time I sanded it off with excess grip, i didn't have an electric sander so it's all i had. It wasn't hard but it was real time consuming. I've read that if you use acetone with a rag to rub off the graphic that it would be easier and faster. But Im concerned that the chemicals in acetone might harm the wood and the glue of the deck. To those who've used acetone, does it damage the board at all in any way or should i be good?

Randozzi

« Reply #595 on: September 21, 2014, 08:49:15 AM »
i used paint thinner (similar to acetone) once and you have to do it fast, didn't hurt the wood but you don't want it to sit for long. should work fine.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: September 21, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »
i used paint thinner (similar to acetone) once and you have to do it fast, didn't hurt the wood but you don't want it to sit for long. should work fine.
Cool, thanks.
So I just soak a rag with it and then wipe it down, right? Or is there a specific way to do it? Sorry for all the excess questions, I just wanna make sure I do it right so I don't mess anything up, hah.

Randozzi

« Reply #597 on: September 21, 2014, 09:02:39 AM »
yeah, that's what I did. takes a little more than you think but it comes off fairly quick.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: September 21, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing this soon whenever I get some free time, I'll try to post the results up in this thread if I remember, hah. Hopefully it comes off cleanly. I'll just sand off whatever little bit that doesn't come off with excess grip.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #599 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
I've never had good luck with paint thinner or any other chemical removal. never seems to actually remove the paint completely and always still had to sand after.
You still haven't taken my advice and gotten an electric palm sander, have you Noble?
just do it already. Go down to Savers and drop $8 on one that still has working clips.
@idealhandmades