Author Topic: Washington, DC  (Read 6352 times)

nooky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Washington, DC
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
you'll be fine waving an apology and walking off. if you get a real choad of a cop you might have to book it real quick, but that's unlikely. they're pretty easy to spot coming. the park is also situated on a hill, so it's a quick bomb down 15th or 16th to U street if you're actually being chased. but there's like a close to zero percent chance that'll happen. used to skate there pretty much every afternoon after work and the worst I got was a park cop saying he called the police. I just left before they showed up.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Welfare banks are on the other side of the mall (south side) by

[close]

googled these this morning.  dear heavens.  these are amazing looking.  whats the bust factor on those? can i get in a full solo sesh on that?

based on what you are telling me how does the run sound
bottom of 14th  head north push and hit some places up until i get to franklin square.  hook a right and and another right and come back down 12th and 13th street stopping at archives and return to my hotel?

Expand Quote

There’s a few parks in the city you can skate or take the metro to, but I’ve never been hassled at archives.

[close]

whats the best park close to the metro?

Your itinerary is a good but a few things. The way north is a not that exciting. The first block or so is a pretty steep hill then the next blocks are all very tall office buildings. As a result, if it's around morning rush, the sidewalks will be pretty full and the roads will be packed (and the road is pretty rough). There's not a lot to skate on those blocks either (but you can see the Press Liquors that is still in business due to the folks at Pulaski). That said, if you want to bomb a hill, take the walk and do 13th. It spits right out into Pulaski and it's one way. That said, it's heavily trafficked. You might just want (as many said) to get to Pulaski then push down Pennsylvania to the courthouse. Again, there's plenty of spots along the way and you'll end up at a park with a bunch of downhill ledges and the aforementioned long stairs/ledges across from the National Gallery. Walk a little further and there's the Japanese memorial and that really long ledge. Alternatively, walk across the mall and you're at welfare banks. It's really really compact.

Your hotel is about a five minute walk from L'enfant Plaza. It's a metro hub with access to the green/yellow/silver/orange/blue lines. That's good for getting around. To get to Pulaski, either take the green/yellow to archives and skate down Pennsylvania or take the blue/orange/silver to metro center and it's a block down. That said, you're close enough where (if you have the time) you can rent a bike or walk. You'll walk across the mall and get to see the sights on the way.

For actual skate parks:  As aforementioned you can take the green/yellow line to Shaw for the Shaw skatepark. Or take the orange/blue/silver to Stadium Armory for the Maloof Park. Both are about a five minute walk from the respective station. Outside of that, you're looking at a hour plus commute one way on multiple forms of transportation to get somewhere and the cost/benefit isn't worth it.

If you head to Pulaski around 10:00 there might be one or two folks. The later it gets, the more folks show up. Park Police are not like they used to be at that spot. The days of swarming and chasing are over. You'll get booted if anything but that's it (barring an open container and even that is sometimes just a stern warning). However, even that happens with less and less frequency.

One more kind of dad like thing to say is that you're right by the Smithsonian and should take advantage of that fact. It has a variety of things to see, is free, and is really awesome. it opens up at 10 every morning.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2019, 08:21:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am going back to DC near the end of the calendar year with the wife. staying at the mandarin.  looking to get in a weekday skate park morning or two.   I was there in 2012 and skated this really fun DIY underneath a bridge

is that still standing?  does anyone have the pin for it?
are there any new parks?
its probably going to be during commuter hours and ill be alone so not really trying to get hassled or ticketed at archives or pulaski.
[close]

Sounds like your talking about bridge spot but that’s gone now.
There’s a few parks in the city you can skate or take the metro to, but I’ve never been hassled at archives.
Bust factor for each spot depends on the day and the time pretty much.
[close]
. I miss bridge spot. Went in 2011 at like 10 pm and we ended up smoking weed with some random kids lurking . I Ollied straight over the make shift manny pad and that was super fun. Fun spot . I miss living in DC hence the slap name haha.

I too frequented bridge spot. It sucked seeing it get walled up/pushed out. That said, that place got a lot more time than expected. it seemed it was "being torn down next week" for many years.

Actually went down there a month ago when Pulaski had a festival going on. They tore up the ground, there's huge chucks of rock everywhere, and lots of mud. I got a terrible blunt to rock on the little bump to ledge but the roll in/roll out is trashed. That said there's a brand new brick wave next to it that is really fun and has a kind of hip to drop off the side. Had a ball coming out from under the bridge, popping on the wave, then riding out on the street.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 11:42:40 AM »
heading up to 930 for a show next month with my girl

whats the skinny on the weed delivery services?

Switchpopshuvit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47:32 AM »
heading up to 930 for a show next month with my girl

whats the skinny on the weed delivery services?
Go on Where's Weed. It's a website that lists most weed companies in the city; gives you their menu/prices/phone number. From there it's usually like any dealer, they'll give you a time and location to meet.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
thanks holmes

that shit is not cheap

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 02:58:38 PM »
Just find a fucking parking garage. Most garage owners there are actually cool with you skating if you do it late at night. There used to be one in Baltimore who actually let us skaters in after he closed, just so we could skate. He's gone tho, new management.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

googled these this morning.  dear heavens.  these are amazing looking.  whats the bust factor on those? can i get in a full solo sesh on that?

bottom of 14th  head north push and hit some places up until i get to franklin square.  hook a right and and another right and come back down 12th and 13th street stopping at archives and return to my hotel?

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Your itinerary is a good but a few things. The way north is a not that exciting. The first block or so is a pretty steep hill then the next blocks are all very tall office buildings. As a result, if it's around morning rush, the sidewalks will be pretty full and the roads will be packed (and the road is pretty rough). There's not a lot to skate on those blocks either (but you can see the Press Liquors that is still in business due to the folks at Pulaski). That said, if you want to bomb a hill, take the walk and do 13th. It spits right out into Pulaski and it's one way. That said, it's heavily trafficked. You might just want (as many said) to get to Pulaski then push down Pennsylvania to the courthouse. Again, there's plenty of spots along the way and you'll end up at a park with a bunch of downhill ledges and the aforementioned long stairs/ledges across from the National Gallery. Walk a little further and there's the Japanese memorial and that really long ledge. Alternatively, walk across the mall and you're at welfare banks. It's really really compact.

Your hotel is about a five minute walk from L'enfant Plaza. It's a metro hub with access to the green/yellow/silver/orange/blue lines. That's good for getting around. To get to Pulaski, either take the green/yellow to archives and skate down Pennsylvania or take the blue/orange/silver to metro center and it's a block down. That said, you're close enough where (if you have the time) you can rent a bike or walk. You'll walk across the mall and get to see the sights on the way.

For actual skate parks:  As aforementioned you can take the green/yellow line to Shaw for the Shaw skatepark. Or take the orange/blue/silver to Stadium Armory for the Maloof Park. Both are about a five minute walk from the respective station. Outside of that, you're looking at a hour plus commute one way on multiple forms of transportation to get somewhere and the cost/benefit isn't worth it.

If you head to Pulaski around 10:00 there might be one or two folks. The later it gets, the more folks show up. Park Police are not like they used to be at that spot. The days of swarming and chasing are over. You'll get booted if anything but that's it (barring an open container and even that is sometimes just a stern warning). However, even that happens with less and less frequency.

One more kind of dad like thing to say is that you're right by the Smithsonian and should take advantage of that fact. It has a variety of things to see, is free, and is really awesome. it opens up at 10 every morning.

thanks for all this
we got a pretty good museum list going. Smithsonian is on it. Air & Space is on it too. Plus since im a MM im gunna see see the Masonic National Memorial; but i'm most pumped about the Spy museum; i fucking love that shit.

do you know a spot that does a cool xmas eve dinner?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote

meridian hill park (also called malcom x) has a bunch of cascading fountains that are empty during the winter. very fun, low key spot to warm up at. was in that recent FA video where they were in DC. if you see park police book it before they hassle you.

[close]

when you say hassle -- stern talking to you or sit down and get a ticket?  can i get away with an apology wave and walk or do i really have to fucking run?  because this spot looks dreamy

It’s pretty rare to get kicked out at Malcolm
X (as anyone who is from the city calls it) especially if you go in the morning. In my entire life I’ve been kicked out twice, both times I was asked to leave. Now is a good time to check it out, a bunch of my buddies and I just did a big clean up. Just remember to take your trash.

The Union Market (aka Craters) bowl is a lot of fun. If you want to skate with other people and not have to hop the fence there are big sessions every Friday afternoon/evening.

Both spots are walking/skating distance from metro stops.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
Moving to the Kalorama area next month and trying to scope out a good undercover flatground spot for the winter. I'm coming from NYC where all the parking garages are manned 24/7 and pretty hard to skate in. Does anyone have the lowdown on any "indoor" lit up spots near Dupont circle? Or anywhere for that matter? Surprising how hard it is to find a dry, lit up spot in major cities.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

thanks for all this
we got a pretty good museum list going. Smithsonian is on it. Air & Space is on it too. Plus since im a MM im gunna see see the Masonic National Memorial; but i'm most pumped about the Spy museum; i fucking love that shit.

do you know a spot that does a cool xmas eve dinner?
Air and space was such a cool spot.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2019, 12:11:34 PM »

yea people rave about it. its prettty high on the to do list

im getting so pumped for this trip. we are staying in the Watergate the first night before moving over to the MO.  ive wanted to stay there since i was a little kid. and they have kept the facade. 

have you (or anyone else lurking the thread) been to ArtecHouse?  Someone was telling me it was a cool place to have a drink before dinner but the reviews seem really mixed.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yea people rave about it. its prettty high on the to do list

im getting so pumped for this trip. we are staying in the Watergate the first night before moving over to the MO.  ive wanted to stay there since i was a little kid. and they have kept the facade. 

have you (or anyone else lurking the thread) been to ArtecHouse?  Someone was telling me it was a cool place to have a drink before dinner but the reviews seem really mixed.

Depends on the exhibit. The northern lights thing they have now looks kind of meh, but could be cool. Kind of hard to tell from the photos on their website.

Moving to the Kalorama area next month and trying to scope out a good undercover flatground spot for the winter. I'm coming from NYC where all the parking garages are manned 24/7 and pretty hard to skate in. Does anyone have the lowdown on any "indoor" lit up spots near Dupont circle? Or anywhere for that matter? Surprising how hard it is to find a dry, lit up spot in major cities.

Not sure about Dupont specifically, but there are definitely metro-accessible underground garages that aren't manned. The only ones I've tried that have been busts are at apartment buildings. Just explore, you'll find em!

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
Bump

I'm going to DC with a buddy of mine to skate Pulaski before it gets torn down. Where is a good place to park around there? Anything good to eat close by (that's reasonably priced)? What's the bust factor these days? 

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2022, 08:58:25 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure about Dupont specifically, but there are definitely metro-accessible underground garages that aren't manned. The only ones I've tried that have been busts are at apartment buildings. Just explore, you'll find em!
Also try looking across the Potomac River in the Tyson's Corner area of Northern Virginia. That whole area is full of underground parking garages that are deserted outside of business hours Mon-Fri.

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2022, 12:53:18 PM »
Where is a good place to park around there? Anything good to eat close by (that's reasonably priced)? What's the bust factor these days?

idk anything about parking. basically nothing is reasonably priced in that part of town lol. upside is i’ve been at pulaski every weekend for a few months now and park hasn’t shown up once. idk what weekdays are like tho

beavis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2022, 06:51:22 AM »
Bump

I'm going to DC with a buddy of mine to skate Pulaski before it gets torn down. Where is a good place to park around there? Anything good to eat close by (that's reasonably priced)? What's the bust factor these days?

theres street parking all around it so you can probably find something. it's in middle of downtown so lots of places to eat but nothing will be super cheap. rice bar or &pizza for fast casual..  astro doughnuts for a good fried chicken sandwich or district taco for some okay mexican

almost 0 bust factor but if it's a friday/weekend there's a chance there will be some event or protest meetup happening there

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2023, 04:04:33 PM »
Bumpin again, possibly goin to DC this weekend to catch a show at the Anthem. Looks like there hasn’t really been snow so was wondering if it’s worth it to bring my board? I’m fine skating in the cold, just don’t wanna bring it if it’s shitty out.

I’d probably be staying between the Smithsonian and the waterfront, so close enough to check out Pulaski. Anything else I should try to skate if I can?

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2023, 08:15:06 AM »
Bumpin again, possibly goin to DC this weekend to catch a show at the Anthem. Looks like there hasn’t really been snow so was wondering if it’s worth it to bring my board? I’m fine skating in the cold, just don’t wanna bring it if it’s shitty out.

I’d probably be staying between the Smithsonian and the waterfront, so close enough to check out Pulaski. Anything else I should try to skate if I can?

Basically what everyone above has mentioned already, once you're at Pulaski if you just skate up Pennsylvania Ave towards the Capitol you'll find a ton of famous spots: courthouse, Japanese memorial, Potbelly's, welfare, etc. Malcom X park is good in the winter since they drain the fountains and its a chill lil bowl spot. The newly redesigned Shaw skatepark is a ton of fun too.

Say whatup to my ppl for me, miss my hometown <3

Edit: Also worth checking out Crushed Skateshop, they good ppl and will also have a bunch of good reccomendations

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2023, 08:51:45 PM »
I’m going to be in DC this week for a conference.
Crushed is a mile from the hotel.
Pulaski is 2 miles
Shaw is 1.5.

I would love just to skate pulaski after 5pm each evening. What’s the bust factor like? Can I just skate there for like 2hrs every evening?

Also anything else within a mile that area?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2023, 04:41:06 PM »
I’m going to be in DC this week for a conference.
Crushed is a mile from the hotel.
Pulaski is 2 miles
Shaw is 1.5.

I would love just to skate pulaski after 5pm each evening. What’s the bust factor like? Can I just skate there for like 2hrs every evening?

Also anything else within a mile that area?
There’s a ton a spots between Pulaski and the court house and welfare is a few blocks from the court house.  Plenty of stuff in a mile radius

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2024, 07:10:43 PM »
I’ve skated in DC a number of times before but never specifically at the fountains at Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park.  Was thinking about stopping by for a quick session Saturday morning when I’m down there.  Anyone skate there recently?  Is this spot a bust currently?  Thanks! 

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2024, 06:30:03 AM »
I’ve skated in DC a number of times before but never specifically at the fountains at Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park.  Was thinking about stopping by for a quick session Saturday morning when I’m down there.  Anyone skate there recently?  Is this spot a bust currently?  Thanks!
I haven’t been there recently myself but have seen photos and clips of people skating it. It’s always been mellow when I’ve gone and suspect you will be ok.

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2024, 06:55:19 AM »

i skate these regularly, never had a problem. i have heard of kids getting cited recently but nobody i know

edit

if you havent you should also check the buchanan memorial at the base of the park. really cool but janky ledges/curb

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2024, 07:20:12 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Yeah I’m gonna stop by Saturday morning and check it out.  Definitely will check out that other spot too.  I’ll let you know how it goes haha…

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2024, 06:56:55 PM »
Update: thanks @Esmith5488 and @oak leaf - we skated the fountains at Meridian Hill Saturday morning and had no issues. Got a solid hour in there, then like half an hour at the Buchanan memorial/statue.  That low ledge/curb grinds really nice.  I’m not much of a skatepark guy, but we also drove by the current Shaw park to check it out. 

I was happy to see that there’s still some stuff at the DIY under the highway by Whole Foods too...

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2024, 05:24:36 AM »
Update: thanks @Esmith5488 and @oak leaf - we skated the fountains at Meridian Hill Saturday morning and had no issues. Got a solid hour in there, then like half an hour at the Buchanan memorial/statue.  That low ledge/curb grinds really nice.  I’m not much of a skatepark guy, but we also drove by the current Shaw park to check it out. 

I was happy to see that there’s still some stuff at the DIY under the highway by Whole Foods too...
Hell yeah! I like skating that statue as a manny pad too. Glad you didn’t get hassled. Would have felt like a dick if we said you would be good and you got the boot or a fine lol. New Shaw is cool but I don’t make it out that way much. The ledges at maloof are kinda my go to for parks around there

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2024, 04:21:10 PM »
Moved from dc years ago , anyone know if that diy under the bridge near anacostia still there . It’s a little sketch at night but it was fun, we thought we gonna get robbed one time and they ended up smoking us out. How’s Pulaski these days when I was a kid you couldn’t get 5 minutes and they’d take your board , but by the time I left it was pretty skateable. From what I’ve heard the cops have kinda given up on skating the last few years.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 58
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2024, 06:33:02 AM »
Moved from dc years ago , anyone know if that diy under the bridge near anacostia still there . It’s a little sketch at night but it was fun, we thought we gonna get robbed one time and they ended up smoking us out. How’s Pulaski these days when I was a kid you couldn’t get 5 minutes and they’d take your board , but by the time I left it was pretty skateable. From what I’ve heard the cops have kinda given up on skating the last few years.

Yeah Bridge Spot is still there and skateable.

Pulaski/Freedom is nice & chill now, never really get hassled too much now, my go to day is Sunday because free parking and less people.

However, there are ongoing talks of renovating the current plaza unfortunately...