Author Topic: Things You Pondered Today  (Read 577111 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1219
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Things You Pondered Today
« Reply #5970 on: April 18, 2023, 03:42:11 PM »
I know I'm showing my age here, but I always felt like the producers of Family Double Dare set the Mom up purposely to fail on the last obstacle. And I always wondered how shitty her kids would act on the drive home to her for not finding the final flag in the kiddy pool filled with green oatmeal.

I have a lot of thoughts about this.  Are you talking about one specific episode or an overall trend you’ve noticed?  Why would they set her up?  Some sick misogyny on the set?

Do you remember the salad physical challenge?  I always liked that one for some reason.

And how ironic is it that Mark Summers suffered from crippling OCD, yet hosts a show where slime and food and shit is getting splattered all over the place.  I think I read somewhere that he’d carefully comb all the fibers of his shag carpeting so they all faced the same direction.

Would you rather go on Double Dare or Guts?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #5971 on: April 18, 2023, 04:36:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I know I'm showing my age here, but I always felt like the producers of Family Double Dare set the Mom up purposely to fail on the last obstacle. And I always wondered how shitty her kids would act on the drive home to her for not finding the final flag in the kiddy pool filled with green oatmeal.
[close]

I have a lot of thoughts about this.  Are you talking about one specific episode or an overall trend you’ve noticed?  Why would they set her up?  Some sick misogyny on the set?

Do you remember the salad physical challenge?  I always liked that one for some reason.

And how ironic is it that Mark Summers suffered from crippling OCD, yet hosts a show where slime and food and shit is getting splattered all over the place.  I think I read somewhere that he’d carefully comb all the fibers of his shag carpeting so they all faced the same direction.

My memory is fuzzy, but I definitely think it was a trend rather than a once in a while occurrence. I could be remembering it wrong though. I never thought past just feeling bad for the lady for costing her family a stay at Universal Orlando.  Misogyny could be their motive. Like maybe they hated women or their Mom, and this was their way to stick it back to them. Maybe they felt it was bad TV if they had the kids blow it at the end with them crying because all they got was a Bushnell telescope. Mom's are tough and are able to handle being the fall guy could've been the reason, I'm not sure.

I kinda remember the salad physical challenge with them having salad bowl helmets on, winging vegetables at each other and shit trying to catch em.

And yes I remember hearing about Mark Summers years after the show stopped and his OCD. Now did this show trigger his OCD, or did he have it before? Because that seems like a shit job to shoot for if you're combing your shag carpet the same direction every night. Dude had to be hyperventilating during commercial breaks. Maybe these producers knew he had it and they are more sadistic than I thought. Fucked up if that's the case.

I'm not familiar with Guts, so I'd have to say Double Dare for sure.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5972 on: April 18, 2023, 05:35:53 PM »
It just dawned me why they would have the mom in the pizza: she’s likely the slowest and least nimble of the family so they park her there in the pizza so she just has to crawl around a little bit.  I also think the families might have the chance to strategize and put their own lineup together.  Double Dare tested the mind as well as the body.

He has a book where he talks about his ocd (Everything in its Place… good title). I think I’m going to get just because I’m curious.

I actually just watched one of the shows because of this thread and I remembered how lame the pizza one was.  Both of the families were dumber than a box of rocks haha
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 05:48:22 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #5973 on: April 18, 2023, 08:25:25 PM »
It just dawned me why they would have the mom in the pizza: she’s likely the slowest and least nimble of the family so they park her there in the pizza so she just has to crawl around a little bit.  I also think the families might have the chance to strategize and put their own lineup together.  Double Dare tested the mind as well as the body.

He has a book where he talks about his ocd (Everything in its Place… good title). I think I’m going to get just because I’m curious.

I actually just watched one of the shows because of this thread and I remembered how lame the pizza one was.  Both of the families were dumber than a box of rocks haha

The pizza was always a shit show. Keepin on tha Nickelodeon tip, I fux wit Mr Wizard hardcore as a kid. No way that shit would've flown nowadays. Yeah "Hey mah, I'm going to Mr Wizards house to do experiments."

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5974 on: April 18, 2023, 09:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

YOU KNOW GOD DAMN WELL I WANT THAT AGGRO CRAG SNEAKY

... always have... and always will...
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5975 on: April 19, 2023, 06:48:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

YOU KNOW GOD DAMN WELL I WANT THAT AGGRO CRAG SNEAKY

... always have... and always will...

Fucking a right. I used to watch that show religiously. The language spread into skating out here. In the 80s we called fly boxes? Aggro crags.

Hey what are you building. Aggro crag. It's gonna have a rail like Savannah slama
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5976 on: April 22, 2023, 09:18:29 AM »
Why is it that when people talk about 360 flips and 360 shoves they mean backside by default? Is that true of any other tricks where it's just assumed you mean bs or fs?

adam22savage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #5977 on: April 22, 2023, 09:29:51 AM »
Why is it that when people talk about 360 flips and 360 shoves they mean backside by default? Is that true of any other tricks where it's just assumed you mean bs or fs?
shoves, noseslides, boardslides, crooks and arguably lipslide and tailslide are fs unless otherwise stated. varial heel is fs unless someone says 'inward heel'. it's a whole lot of them.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5978 on: April 22, 2023, 10:02:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
shoves, noseslides, boardslides, crooks and arguably lipslide and tailslide are fs unless otherwise stated. varial heel is fs unless someone says 'inward heel'. it's a whole lot of them.

good point. I think you meant bs crooks but I know what you mean. also feeble grinds.

adam22savage

« Reply #5979 on: April 22, 2023, 10:51:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

good point. I think you meant bs crooks but I know what you mean. also feeble grinds.
of course i meant bs crooks, that's what 'crooks' means. fs crooks are like vegans. they'll let you know.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #5980 on: April 24, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »
Is there a polite way to tell people they need to moisturize?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5981 on: April 24, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »
No.
You aren't the boss of other people's skin.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5982 on: April 24, 2023, 10:52:22 AM »
you are in a jail
there are 2 doors with a guard in front of each one
one always lies
one always tells the truth
one is standing to a door to freedom
the other standing a door to hell
you are allowed 1 question then you must make a decision.
WHAT DO YOU DO?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #5983 on: April 24, 2023, 11:56:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No.
You aren't the boss of other people's skin.

You know what, you’re right.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5984 on: April 25, 2023, 05:33:03 AM »
you are in a jail
there are 2 doors with a guard in front of each one
one always lies
one always tells the truth
one is standing to a door to freedom
the other standing a door to hell
you are allowed 1 question then you must make a decision.
WHAT DO YOU DO?

Go to either guard and ask them "if I asked the other guard if your door leads to freedom, what would they say?"

If I asked the truthful guard, they would truthfully convey the answer the lying guard would give. If I asked the lying guard, they would lie about the truthful guard's answer.  The truth will always be the opposite of whatever the given answer is. If the answer is yes, I'll pick the other door. If the answer is no, I'll pick the door I'm in front of.

That one took me quite a while. Good one.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5985 on: April 27, 2023, 11:20:51 PM »
It's kinda crazy how long we live past our teeth. Reading the Alex mould thread and everyone's got multiple paragraphs of their dental routines just to keep their heads from rotting out. We weren't much more than glorified apes pretty recently and didn't do any of that. Sure we also have way more sugar now but sugar isn't even necessarily that bad for teeth

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #5986 on: May 02, 2023, 08:20:26 AM »
Does not wanting a male masseuse mean I’m insecure or homophobic?  It’s not that I need them to be a young hot woman, in fact, quite the opposite.  I’d really prefer them to be a little older and experienced, and not so attractive that my mind wanders to inappropriate places.  Someone with the strength to work things out, but also gentle when it calls for it.  If I were an athlete and needed some serious work done, sure, give me a dude.  But if I’m going for a soft tissue/relaxation massage, I’d prefer not having another man oiling me up.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -33
« Reply #5987 on: May 02, 2023, 09:02:06 AM »
Does not wanting a male masseuse mean I’m insecure or homophobic?  It’s not that I need them to be a young hot woman, in fact, quite the opposite.  I’d really prefer them to be a little older and experienced, and not so attractive that my mind wanders to inappropriate places.  Someone with the strength to work things out, but also gentle when it calls for it.  If I were an athlete and needed some serious work done, sure, give me a dude.  But if I’m going for a soft tissue/relaxation massage, I’d prefer not having another man oiling me up.

I personally don't care who's doing it, as long as they know what they're doing.

I once went to father in laws favorite massage place and had 2 small asian women massaging me at the same time, it was too much. One was standing on me and the other massaging my face at the same time.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5988 on: May 02, 2023, 11:20:02 AM »

You might think about why you consider gender to be an important/noteworthy attribute in this regard. It kinda reads like you believe men can do more "serious work" on your body whereas women are more sensual, which seems to align pretty well with traditional concepts of masculinity and feminity and gender rolls.
Or you could just book a woman for the appointment and move on. It's your body, you can absolutely just decide who gets to touch it and who doesn't without providing any reasons.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #5989 on: May 02, 2023, 11:51:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You might think about why you consider gender to be an important/noteworthy attribute in this regard. It kinda reads like you believe men can do more "serious work" on your body whereas women are more sensual, which seems to align pretty well with traditional concepts of masculinity and feminity and gender rolls.
Or you could just book a woman for the appointment and move on. It's your body, you can absolutely just decide who gets to touch it and who doesn't without providing any reasons.
This probably societal not spiritual  but I do think old ladies really do have the most healing energy - old people in general have a lot of wisdom but I’d rather have an old lady do serious work on me then a dude. - like I’d trust an old lady to do that neck cracking thing - but an old man? Hell na gramps let’s get some beers n talk about life doe
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

adam22savage

« Reply #5990 on: May 02, 2023, 12:46:38 PM »
if you're getting a Stan massage then it's not homophobic to get a woman. it would be downright homophiliac to do otherwise.

adam22savage

« Reply #5991 on: May 02, 2023, 02:17:21 PM »
I wonder what became of that nice Asian boy who used to post here. he had bigspins and 360 flips like hella.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5992 on: May 02, 2023, 04:12:56 PM »
Are our brains capable of conceiving of a post-apocalyptic world?  All we have ever known is order and procedure.  I think we’ll be surprised at first but then we’ll quickly adapt.

That first year or two is going to be fucked up though.  People are going to be murdering each other with claw hammers for cans of tuna fish.  Mass starvation.  Genocide.  Mad max 2…

But after ten years or so, those that survived, by strength or guile will found another society that echoes ours.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #5993 on: May 03, 2023, 07:38:40 AM »
You know those tiktok/instagram style videos were one side is the video and then on the other side or in the corner it's the guy/girl just showing their reaction to the videos? Usually they're just nodding or doing some other mundane shit. Well I think those videos must be playing some kind of trick on our psyches because despite being stupid they're really hard to stop watching. Like maybe we naturally anticipate human reactions and it gives us a big dopamine spike or something... idk
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5994 on: May 03, 2023, 08:56:51 AM »
You know those tiktok/instagram style videos were one side is the video and then on the other side or in the corner it's the guy/girl just showing their reaction to the videos? Usually they're just nodding or doing some other mundane shit. Well I think those videos must be playing some kind of trick on our psyches because despite being stupid they're really hard to stop watching. Like maybe we naturally anticipate human reactions and it gives us a big dopamine spike or something... idk
I don't have tiktok but think I know what you're talking about. I've been saying for a couple years now all streaming shit is kinda sinister like it's just preying on lonely people. Maybe originally it was unintentional but it's like the same idea as a poker machine like just making little noises and giving the viewer just enough interaction to keep them sitting there

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5995 on: May 04, 2023, 08:45:31 PM »
If humans had evolved from some kind of bird would we have invented a bunch of flying machines first instead of cars and trains etc. Maybe some kind of hang glider would have been around before the wheel

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5996 on: May 04, 2023, 11:09:09 PM »
Are vulcs and boardfeel responsible for bad style? Good style probably comes from NOT being able to feel your board too much and perfecting the motions that work for skateboard tricks. When you're controlling the board with too much "feel" it's less stylish because you're doing it more based on manipulating the board directly according to how if directly feels, rather than with practiced motions. IDK if this makes sense.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5997 on: May 04, 2023, 11:22:58 PM »
Are vulcs and boardfeel responsible for bad style? Good style probably comes from NOT being able to feel your board too much and perfecting the motions that work for skateboard tricks. When you're controlling the board with too much "feel" it's less stylish because you're doing it more based on manipulating the board directly according to how if directly feels, rather than with practiced motions. IDK if this makes sense.
I think there's been way too many skaters who prefer vulcs with good styles to really blame the shoes. While I miss the days of guys like cale nuske stomping the absolute living shit out of every trick there was still chima in authentics doing the same. I think it's more loose trucks fucking up people's style than the shoes. (Or maybe a combo of both with like some low cut cons or lrabs or whatever). I guess it's also mostly down to what people like or dislike personally I hate the wiggly boys style of skating like gifted hater for lack of better example

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5998 on: May 07, 2023, 11:34:57 AM »
Did Amber Heard become the Cardiel of the scat kink community following the Johnny Depp trial?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 11:44:55 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5999 on: May 14, 2023, 12:23:09 PM »
Mark is to Chuck Berry
As
MJ is to Jeff Beck
And
PJ Eddie Van Halen

This would make Tom Penny Jimmy Page yes or no?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)