Author Topic: griptape spiel  (Read 10071 times)

Archers of Chaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
griptape spiel
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
I remember seeing a similar thread on here before, but i couldnt find it so i thought id start this one anyways.
This is just a thread to nerd out on griptape and talk about application and cutting methods and so on.

For starters, I never buy Jessup. The quality has gone so down the hill that it's not even worth it. Within the first session that shit starts peeling off and chipping away. Ill usually just get Mob. One plus side to Mob is that it's super stiff which makes for an easy cut.

I usually like to line it up with an even amount of grip hanging off from both sides. I hate it when i accidentally put it on wrong and one side only has like 0.5 mm of grip hanging off, it makes it harder to get an even cut.

Some people file the shit out of their grip, but I usually file it just one time around just to get an outline of the board so i have something to follow when im cutting, it makes it easier to get an even cut.

I always start cutting from the nose and I work my way down. I like to do one solid cut, as opposed to some people who will cut the slits on the side. I never really got why people did that, I just like to do one solid cut. Also ive noticed that it's easier to mess up the cut if you do the slits because you gotta re-dig your blade back into the grip after cutting off a piece of the slitted grip, which gives you more of a chance to accidentally take a chunk out of the grip.

Also, I never really give a shit when im cutting around the nose and tail, because even if you mess up you can just take the board and scrape on the ground Arto style and bam, it's fixed.

Lastly, after im done i use the leftover grip to scrape down the edges and scrape the shit outta the grip cause i hate super grippy boards.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
Re: griptape spiel
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
neat!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
I put a line between the back bolts. Any inconsistencies don't bother me because within 2 sessions the griptape will be uneven regardless.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »
I don't trust a man who let's someone else grip his board.

When I help out at the shop in my spare time I get a kick out of the looks I get sometimes when someone buys a board and without asking I put a mat on the table and hand them a sheet of grip, screwdriver, and a razor.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »
For starters, I never buy Jessup. The quality has gone so down the hill that it's not even worth it. Within the first session that shit starts peeling off and chipping away.

The fuck are you talking about? Jessup is, and has always been straight up quality griptape

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:33:34 AM »
This.

Most of the time I scratch a line between the two front bolts for directional recognition. My friend once told me I give my board fake bridge bolts. Anybody remember those? This is my cool story, bro.

Archers of Chaka

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
For starters, I never buy Jessup. The quality has gone so down the hill that it's not even worth it. Within the first session that shit starts peeling off and chipping away.
[close]

The fuck are you talking about? Jessup is, and has always been straight up quality griptape
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=52993.0

Yeah, back in the day it was quality griptape, but these days that shit is garbage.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:32:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=52993.0

Yeah, back in the day it was quality griptape, but these days that shit is garbage.

Wtf.. I've never had any kind of problems with Jessup. Hm

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:43:54 AM »
always cut my own because i like to have a tiny bit of the top graphic/colour showing, like 1-2mm. hate having slightly overhanging grip ya dig

tend to ride MOB but riding jessops at the moment because when i got a new deck (somehow) it waas too cold for MOB to actually stick to my board.

I usually just write PWBC infront of my front toe, but sometimes ill get stoned and write/draw loads of stupid shit all over it and end up re-gripping it a few days after

BlackEye77

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:54:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This.

Most of the time I scratch a line between the two front bolts for directional recognition. My friend once told me I give my board fake bridge bolts. Anybody remember those? This is my cool story, bro.

Bridge bolts, oh man those were the thing to have for a while, until around '91. When you had bridge bolts on your trucks and hex bolts holding your rails on the top of a skateboard used to look so much different.

I just go with Thunder hardware because you get 2 polished bolts to easily differentiate the front from back. Same thing can be accomplished by getting a similar screw for 5 cents from a hardware store. I just don't like any kind of lines, writing, or whatever. Straight black, front to back.

b.v.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
I grip between 10-20 boards a day sometimes. Kids here have no interest in doing it and when I try to push them into doing it they freak out and refuse. I would never let someone grip or put my board together. It's how I feel connected to it, kinda dumb I guess. I like sticker jobs and grip jobs. I never do the same thing every time. Sometimes A line, sometimes a drehobl inspired grip,sometimes plain.
Ironhorse is my go to as it is the thinnest and the least grippy.Minimal sanding. But now that I've been skating cupsoles I have been skating mob. 

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »
I grip between 10-20 boards a day sometimes. Kids here have no interest in doing it and when I try to push them into doing it they freak out and refuse. I would never let someone grip or put my board together. It's how I feel connected to it, kinda dumb I guess. I like sticker jobs and grip jobs. I never do the same thing every time. Sometimes A line, sometimes a drehobl inspired grip,sometimes plain.
Ironhorse is my go to as it is the thinnest and the least grippy.Minimal sanding. But now that I've been skating cupsoles I have been skating mob. 

What's the trick to the Drehobl Grip? Just cutting it up into tiny pieces and placing it one-at-a-time in a pattern?

I feel you guys on gripping your own deck - did it recently for the first time in a while...makes me feel like Ron Swanson

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
Yeah I don't understand kids who don't grip their own boards. I've been gripping my girlfriend's cousins boards because he's 12 and his parents don't want him fucking around with a razor blade (a little overprotective but understandable) but other than that, no-one gets a pass. I tried to do Drehobl grip a while back and fucked up a little bit since I was drunk, but that was fun. Normally it's just plain though. The only really obsessive thing I do is always paint the top right bolt with a green paint marker. Ever since my first set of bolts (the Lucky bolts with the one green one) if the top right bolt isn't green, I get way less confident about landing tricks for whatever reason.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
I like to write things on my board. Once I did this whole verse from Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, it was a battle verse about charging straight into battle. In hindsight it was goofy but I liked it. Another time I had "Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessle's life." Now I got "Come on feet" written on there. Good conversation starter, either people just say "Quasimoto!" or ask what that could mean.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »
es, same here. i've had kids telling me "c'mon it's your job to do it, so why should i do it? i pay for that." of course it's my job, but it surprises me how they don't want to learn how to grip a board. but i've also gripped boards for people that skate for over 10 years.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

jessup had a HUGH supply if grip get out of the warehouse messed up. it chip's and cracks, and other weird shit. they purged their supply, but there is still ALOT of this stuff out there. if you get a bad piece of batch.  take a photo and contact them. they replaced a whole box no questions asked when i showed them what was happening. they sent out a full new box asap. and the new box was good old jessup.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Paradox Grip cuts the worst! That shit chips and flakes as you cut it.. plus its TOO grippy- my shoes are in shreds after skating that grip for a week.. Any thing else is fine.. mobb, jessup even grizzly..i don't ever notice a difference. I like to start on the sides then use the scraps of grip to file the sides down. I file the nose/tail grip by doing the "Arto Technique" - how he uses his trucks to get a tight grip on his board and files the nose/tail on the ground..works perfect. I haven't had someone else grip my board in years.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
i put a 'V' to right of my bottom truck

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

jessup had a HUGH supply if grip get out of the warehouse messed up. it chip's and cracks, and other weird shit. they purged their supply, but there is still ALOT of this stuff out there. if you get a bad piece of batch.  take a photo and contact them. they replaced a whole box no questions asked when i showed them what was happening. they sent out a full new box asap. and the new box was good old jessup.

I see. Guess I've been quite lucky since I have avoided those. I've had some issues with mob grip tho. The glue has just disolved and the grip has fallen off a couple of times. Might be because of the harsh, cold Norwegian weather.

And to the issue of not gripping your own board:

If you let someone else grip your board, your not a real fuckin skater. Case closed.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 04:36:35 AM »
I do something different with my grip each time. Right now I have a Leslie Nielsen sticker cut out from the grip.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 05:59:14 AM »
whilst at school and younger and poorer, I took a retail job at a surf shop that sold skateboards. pretty kooky.

a guy bought a board, stickers, and clear griptape. he asked the gripping kid to put the stickers on the top of the board,
and the clear grip over so "they don't get scratched off."

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »
whilst at school and younger and poorer, I took a retail job at a surf shop that sold skateboards. pretty kooky.

a guy bought a board, stickers, and clear griptape. he asked the gripping kid to put the stickers on the top of the board,

That was painful even to read..

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:45 AM »
If you're gonna pay for stickers, you gotta protect your investment ;)
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »
from memory they were arnette, SPY and DC stickers. my coworkers thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 07:13:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
from memory they were arnette, SPY and DC stickers. my coworkers thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Hahaha

stonerjesus.

• Rep: 3
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »
Ever Tried Skating With No Grip? Had A Friend Who Could 3Flip Staircases Gripless, But I Could Hardly Kickflip On It.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »

I've done that.  Although the last time I can think of was around 1986. 

FiftyScent

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
jessups always been great for me. i get it free at my shop with a deck purchase so i dont know any different. never had any problems with griptape.

as far as other people gripping boards i pretty much always have the guy at the shop do it. i CAN grip my own boards but i be too lazy for all that shit. as long as theres no air bubbles im fine. i just wanna buy a deck & put the trucks on & go skate. these niggas at the shop be bored as hell anyway so itll give em somethin to do.

BlackEye77

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »
Ever Tried Skating With No Grip? Had A Friend Who Could 3Flip Staircases Gripless, But I Could Hardly Kickflip On It.

I've seen plenty of barefoot San Diegan beach kooks who use surf board wax instead of grip tape. For cruising though of course. There's a kid who comes to one of my local parks that Has been skating without grip recently. He has what seems like mildly severe downs syndrome though so I give him props for being out on a board in the first place.

I tried to explain to him that griptape is important but he just kept asking me for "2 cigarettes" and didn't care about the grip.

Point is the only people I've seen skate w/o grip don't really skate, the one exception was a mentally handicapped kid. I guess that's not much of a point though.

I still don't get not gripping your own board. Setting up a new deck has always been a ritualistic thing for me and I know that if I do it myself it'll be a single smooth cut without air bubbles. Last time someone else did mine it was because they jumped the gun and did it w/o asking while I was looking at other stuff in the shop. It probably took 15 minutes to get all of the bubbles out.

It's so important to me for whatever weird reason that if I find a board at a shop that's already gripped I usually try to find something else I want, even if it means I have to pay for the sheet of tape.

bandini

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I'm anal as hell about lots of aspects of my setup, but grip tape ain't one of them. I can't tell one brand from another after a few days of skating, & I probably haven't gripped my own board since Reagan was in office.