Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387175 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2730 on: December 13, 2022, 11:48:02 AM »

This one is a thriller on netflix from Austrailiar, it's good! I don't want to tell you what it is about, in order to give you the same experience I had. I watched 15 seconds of the trailer, stopped it because it looked good and I didn't want a spoiler.

So, for best results, DON'T watch the (full) trailer but DO watch the movie and enjoy!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2731 on: December 18, 2022, 07:11:17 AM »
best thing i've seen in a while. really good acting, beautiful sets, great costume and character design and a really different take on the western genre as a whole. it had tarrantino vibes for me in the character design and the way some of the action sequences where laid out. it's really good at building tension in both action and dialogue scenes. on the flip side it's very hard to follow and if you don't enjoy those kind of shows it's not for you. i ended up watching spoiler episode reviews after each episode so i could better understand what's going on but characters and plot elements that were introduced in the second episode won't be clear or explained until 5 episodes later. to me it's a testament to how well all the other elements are executed when i was really interested but didn't really understand what was going on half the time. my wife and i are getting ready to rewatch it now that we understand the plot.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2732 on: December 18, 2022, 07:49:13 AM »

This one is a thriller on netflix from Austrailiar, it's good! I don't want to tell you what it is about, in order to give you the same experience I had. I watched 15 seconds of the trailer, stopped it because it looked good and I didn't want a spoiler.

So, for best results, DON'T watch the (full) trailer but DO watch the movie and enjoy!
This is so good. Don't fully know why but Aus makes some of the best grim shit.
Shit that won't matter for non Australians but is nice: lead actor (who's British) actually does a good Aus accent not just a random mix of Aus voices. It fukn feels like Aus. Heaps of production companies make stuff and it's almost like they're trying to give an idea of Aus for other markets but blue tounge makes it real.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #2733 on: December 19, 2022, 12:28:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Shit that won't matter for non Australians but is nice: lead actor (who's British) actually does a good Aus accent not just a random mix of Aus voices. It fukn feels like Aus. Heaps of production companies make stuff and it's almost like they're trying to give an idea of Aus for other markets but blue tounge makes it real.

It’s not necessarily AUS, but it’s Joel Edgerton, his brother, and that whole crew that’s behind that rise in good shit like this and  Mr Inbetween and others

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2734 on: December 19, 2022, 11:06:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I watched it 2x over the weekend, its good, but I just couldnt get past dude being in GOT

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2735 on: December 19, 2022, 11:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I watched it 2x over the weekend, its good, but I just couldnt get past dude being in GOT
Which guy?? I don't think either lead was in GoT.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2736 on: December 19, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
Really the main guy reminded me of this dude

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2737 on: December 19, 2022, 04:40:43 PM »
Really the main guy reminded me of this dude

Oh hahah usually he gets confused for Simon Pegg.   He was the bad guy in one of the last couple of Missjon Impossibles

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2738 on: December 19, 2022, 06:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

It’s not necessarily AUS, but it’s Joel Edgerton, his brother, and that whole crew that’s behind that rise in good shit like this and  Mr Inbetween and others

Thanks for the rec, one of the better things I've watched this year.

The story is based on the Daniel Morcombe case. Maybe not as well-known outside of Australia?

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #2739 on: December 20, 2022, 02:00:15 PM »
Big fan of Joel Edgerton. His swag, mannerisms, & confidence. Loved him as Tom Buchanan in The Great Gatsby & John Connolly in Black Mass!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2740 on: December 20, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
Big fan of Joel Edgerton. His swag, mannerisms, & confidence. Loved him as Tom Buchanan in The Great Gatsby & John Connolly in Black Mass!

He wrote and directed The Gift which iirc was a lot better than you would think it was

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2741 on: December 23, 2022, 08:14:50 AM »
The Stranger was a hell of a thriller. Fun going in blind too

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2742 on: December 26, 2022, 12:48:32 PM »
In bruges

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2743 on: December 26, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »
In bruges

At this point we should just have a “bump when you’ve finally seen In Bruges” thread

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2744 on: December 26, 2022, 01:23:26 PM »
Yea not sure why I put it off for so long, wanted to see it when it came out but never did

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2745 on: December 26, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
Yea not sure why I put it off for so long, wanted to see it when it came out but never did

Haha I’m glad you caught it, it’s just funny to see almost every six weeks someone sees it for the first time. 

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2746 on: December 28, 2022, 06:52:42 AM »
Have to add i now have a crush on Clémence Poésy

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2747 on: January 01, 2023, 12:46:54 PM »
slowly rewatching Bloodline the past few weeks and Kevin is one inept, childish, irritating fucking character

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2748 on: January 01, 2023, 02:14:12 PM »
slowly rewatching Bloodline the past few weeks and Kevin is one inept, childish, irritating fucking character

Kyle Chandler is kind of underrated as an actor.    I really dig him and wish people would let him try so more unconventional roles.    He’d make a good TV Batman

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2749 on: January 01, 2023, 04:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kyle Chandler is kind of underrated as an actor.    I really dig him and wish people would let him try so more unconventional roles.    He’d make a good TV Batman

i agree about Kyle Chandler. as things really start to unravel in Bloodline, it gets stressful to watch it actually, and his role and acting is mostly what does it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2750 on: January 01, 2023, 04:49:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i agree about Kyle Chandler. as things really start to unravel in Bloodline, it gets stressful to watch it actually, and his role and acting is mostly what does it.

Yup and also it plays against his upstanding character in Friday Night Lights well

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #2751 on: January 02, 2023, 06:01:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve annoyingly posted how much i enjoy that show on here hundreds of times ha… it’s a slow burn.

Another one i really liked was the western mini series, Godless.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #2752 on: January 02, 2023, 06:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve annoyingly posted how much i enjoy that show on here hundreds of times ha… it’s a slow burn.

godless was really good. you might want to check out the english, another western mini, that i posted above.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2753 on: January 02, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

godless was really good. you might want to check out the english, another western mini, that i posted above.

That Dirty Black Bag might be another you’d like

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2754 on: January 05, 2023, 02:40:36 AM »
Tokyo vice
Not sure what service around the world but on SBS on demand in aus. Only halfway thru the series it's top quality.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2755 on: January 05, 2023, 03:51:54 AM »
Tokyo vice
Not sure what service around the world but on SBS on demand in aus. Only halfway thru the series it's top quality.

HBOMax in the states

For Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive) fans - Copenhagen Cowboy just got released on Netflix.   Haven’t yet watched

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2756 on: January 05, 2023, 08:49:53 AM »
Top boy summerhouse (BBC original)
And top boy (netflix original)
Both real good

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2757 on: January 05, 2023, 08:59:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Tokyo vice
[close]

HBOMax in the states

For Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive) fans - Copenhagen Cowboy just got released on Netflix.   Haven’t yet watched

Thanks for this ^ Love Refn!  Love the Pusher series and his other stuff.  Only God Forgives is one of the most vile/brutal movies ever. 

Sidebar, Zlatko Buric, who plays Milo in Pusher 3 was in Triangle of Sadness.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #2758 on: January 12, 2023, 12:52:21 PM »
If you're a true crime doc fan please give this a watch.

Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #2759 on: January 12, 2023, 09:02:46 PM »
The Stranger was really good.  Went into it blind (try to avoid trailers for the most part because most spoil the whole movie), and it was great.

Just watched The Pale Blue Eye with Christian Bale and it wasn’t too bad. I’m kind of conflicted, but it’s worth a watch