Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 387089 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #3030 on: June 26, 2023, 05:15:14 PM »
There’s just something I can’t stand so much about The Bear and it really gelled in the family drama Christmas dinner episode.    Just exhausting self-importance I sense whenever someone is conspicuously trying to make a “good” show. 

On the other hand, The Other Two S3 has been phenomenal and I highly recommend it. 

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3031 on: June 26, 2023, 10:17:15 PM »
There’s just something I can’t stand so much about The Bear and it really gelled in the family drama Christmas dinner episode.    Just exhausting self-importance I sense whenever someone is conspicuously trying to make a “good” show. 

On the other hand, The Other Two S3 has been phenomenal and I highly recommend it.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  They also overcast that episode… Jamie Lee Curtis is good but adding Sarah Paulson, Bob Odenkirk, Gillian Jacobs and John Mulaney to the mix is way too much star power - completely blows out the groundedness of the show.  Plus throwing in Olivia Colman in a later episode… oof.  And I really liked Season 1.

shouldn't

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3032 on: June 26, 2023, 10:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new season of black mirror is super good
[close]

They rolled out a damn near perfect season until Josh Hartnett popped up. Jesus Christ his acting was so bad.
[close]

I liked it more than previous season but that episode didnt hit the way I expected from trailers…the episode with the Indian lady was well done
that was the best episode, it kind of had a tarantino style to it in some shots i felt. the other episode kinda missed the mark for me too, the first one was great though. the one with the paparazzi’s chasing that girl felt kinda lackluster, like anyone could write that but it was entertaining enough & reminded me somewhat of the metalhead episode in a way.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3033 on: June 26, 2023, 11:50:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Took the words right out of my mouth.  They also overcast that episode… Jamie Lee Curtis is good but adding Sarah Paulson, Bob Odenkirk, Gillian Jacobs and John Mulaney to the mix is way too much star power - completely blows out the groundedness of the show.  Plus throwing in Olivia Colman in a later episode… oof.  And I really liked Season 1.

Yeah it was a little weird in S1 that the brother was Jon Berenthal when the show seems like it’s striving for a semblance of verite in its casting.   But then EVERY guest role is filled by an A- List actor (you forgot Will Poulter in the CPH ep), it gets a bit silly.   

Also, don’t quite get starting and ending the season on the black guy’s mom health issues when he’s a pretty minor character to the whole show (not to mention giving him is own ep which didn’t do much for me, esp when they did a better version in the Olivia Colman ep).

It annoyed me in the same way Ramy annoyed me (these are mostly the white people from that show who you can tell are from Chicago, huge Wilco heads in college, then moved to NY bc that’s where important things were made) and half of the episodes of Master of None, where it’s trying to be NPR “comedy” or something.

Also - I can’t stand another show after Shameless where this guy plays a super talented Chicago man with a large family but for plot reasons always has to get in his own way.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3034 on: June 26, 2023, 11:56:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new season of black mirror is super good
[close]

They rolled out a damn near perfect season until Josh Hartnett popped up. Jesus Christ his acting was so bad.
[close]

I liked it more than previous season but that episode didnt hit the way I expected from trailers…the episode with the Indian lady was well done
[close]
that was the best episode, it kind of had a tarantino style to it in some shots i felt. the other episode kinda missed the mark for me too, the first one was great though. the one with the paparazzi’s chasing that girl felt kinda lackluster, like anyone could write that but it was entertaining enough & reminded me somewhat of the metalhead episode in a way.

Ahahah Aaron Paul’s acting bothers me a little more, but the episode still worked me. 

Loch Henry i wanted to like, but by the end I couldn’t tell what the point they were trying to make (if any) about True Crime.   

Mazey Day was like how I feel about 75% of Stephen King things : compelling premise, got me along for the ride, and then crash into a lame 3rd act.

Joan is Awful though was the BM I love.   I enjoyed the other two as well

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3035 on: June 27, 2023, 12:06:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah it was a little weird in S1 that the brother was Jon Berenthal when the show seems like it’s striving for a semblance of verite in its casting.   But then EVERY guest role is filled by an A- List actor (you forgot Will Poulter in the CPH ep), it gets a bit silly.   

Also, don’t quite get starting and ending the season on the black guy’s mom health issues when he’s a pretty minor character to the whole show (not to mention giving him is own ep which didn’t do much for me, esp when they did a better version in the Olivia Colman ep).

It annoyed me in the same way Ramy annoyed me (these are mostly the white people from that show who you can tell are from Chicago, huge Wilco heads in college, then moved to NY bc that’s where important things were made) and half of the episodes of Master of None, where it’s trying to be NPR “comedy” or something.

Also - I can’t stand another show after Shameless where this guy plays a super talented Chicago man with a large family but for plot reasons always has to get in his own way.

Yeah the Poulter bit didn’t bother me as much since it told me something about the character- young chef but he has some gravitas.

And Berenthal worked for me in S1 since he was used pretty sparingly and he was so central to the season’s story - this Christmas episode could have worked better intercutting with something else, like the main present day story.  But they wanted to make a fancy hour long bottle episode.  The show seems to keep referencing Ordinary People, which I thought showed that less is more with flashbacks to deceased brothers.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3036 on: June 27, 2023, 12:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah the Poulter bit didn’t bother me as much since it told me something about the character- young chef but he has some gravitas.

And Berenthal worked for me in S1 since he was used pretty sparingly and he was so central to the season’s story - this Christmas episode could have worked better intercutting with something else, like the main present day story.  But they wanted to make a fancy hour long bottle episode.  The show seems to keep referencing Ordinary People, which I thought showed that less is more with flashbacks to deceased brothers.

Yeah it was definitely their attempt at the Master of None Thanksgiving Coming out episode that blew Lena Waithe up to undeserving levels.   

Also, it seemed like that episode was supposed to be Carm telling Claire about the time his mother drove a car through the house which he mentions in one of the last episodes.   

I think I would like the show so much more without Carm.   How much could actually date someone who works in a hospital where it’d effect your own job?   She def works long shifts, so I don’t know wtf he’s doing when he’s not with her

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3037 on: June 27, 2023, 12:47:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah it was definitely their attempt at the Master of None Thanksgiving Coming out episode that blew Lena Waithe up to undeserving levels.   

Also, it seemed like that episode was supposed to be Carm telling Claire about the time his mother drove a car through the house which he mentions in one of the last episodes.   

I think I would like the show so much more without Carm.   How much could actually date someone who works in a hospital where it’d effect your own job?   She def works long shifts, so I don’t know wtf he’s doing when he’s not with her

Haha and her character came out of nowhere.  The scene where she remembers what the name of his restaurant was going to be was so on the nose.  Agree Carm’s character isn’t super likeable this season.

Richie’s light bulb moment- all of a sudden understanding/getting passionate about service felt way too quick.  I appreciated what they were going for with the Tangerine Dream sequence in terms of showing the stakes of operating in a 3-star restaurant but it all felt pretty smug.

Like you mentioned the pacing and balance of the stories this season is odd.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3038 on: June 28, 2023, 10:07:32 AM »
"Muscles and mayhem"
the doco series about American gladiators was ok. You probably need some interest in the original show to get anything out of it you wouldn't get out of a thousand other similar doco series. Not overly long (I watched it in two chunks). Was a little worried at first it's just going to be some people sucking their own dicks for four hours but it's mostly not like that really.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3039 on: June 28, 2023, 03:13:04 PM »
"Muscles and mayhem"
the doco series about American gladiators was ok. You probably need some interest in the original show to get anything out of it you wouldn't get out of a thousand other similar doco series. Not overly long (I watched it in two chunks). Was a little worried at first it's just going to be some people sucking their own dicks for four hours but it's mostly not like that really.
Plan to check it out tonight

I watched the show a ton as a kid and always thought something was up with those gladiators...a lot of them went after people really fucking hard.  I always liked that shooting tennis ball obstacle thing the most.  I think I stopped watching because of ninja turtles becoming a thing.  Being a kid in the 80s I had no idea about roid-rage so I expect that is what it's going to go into. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3040 on: June 29, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »
There’s a show where Robert Downey Jr on MAX is making his classic car collection eco friendly that is interesting especially in context of seeing a rich celebrity put his money where his mouth is and be more responsible.    It’s not a groundbreaking show by any means, but it’s an interesting process and shows he is doing more than just being purely performative about his commitment.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3041 on: June 29, 2023, 08:33:21 PM »
Buried it in another post, but wanted to strongly recommend The Other Two on Max.   

Series finale was today - three tight seasons, very funny.  Basic premise is about the older siblings of a Justin Bieber type who has just blown up fame-wise. 

Also, Southside on Max is another great one

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #3042 on: June 30, 2023, 02:09:33 PM »
I really wish they had kept it HBO max… i keep thinking of Cinemax now ha. Granted they have the best content of all the streaming services… the HBO catalogue is unfuckablewith
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3043 on: June 30, 2023, 05:37:21 PM »
I really wish they had kept it HBO max… i keep thinking of Cinemax now ha. Granted they have the best content of all the streaming services… the HBO catalogue is unfuckablewith

I mean Cinemax is technically under their umbrella.   I miss the year or two Cinemax started making good tv.   Banshee and Hunter(?) were such good shows

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3044 on: July 01, 2023, 10:04:09 PM »
10 Year Old Tom s2 is up on MAX.  Still amazing.    Fills the Life and Times of Tim hole quite nicely

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #3045 on: July 02, 2023, 12:14:35 AM »
Yall fuckin with the new black mirror season?

I'm pissed I spent an hour 20 to watch an obvious resolution unfold with nothing extra.   As usual I'm just gonna go back to rewatching the twilight zone

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3046 on: July 02, 2023, 10:00:36 AM »
Alone: Frozen is on Hulu.  Only 6 contestants and they start right as winter begins, but only need to make it 50 days to win.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #3047 on: July 02, 2023, 09:07:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean Cinemax is technically under their umbrella.   I miss the year or two Cinemax started making good tv.  Banshee and Hunter(?) were such good shows

Never watched Hunter, but I don't know if I would say the Banshee was "such a good show", but it was definitely fun and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. That and Strike Back. Pretty campy 80s ish style action. If you like Bruce Lee though, then Warrior is actually pretty legit.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3048 on: July 02, 2023, 09:16:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean Cinemax is technically under their umbrella.   I miss the year or two Cinemax started making good tv.  Banshee and Hunter(?) were such good shows
[close]

Never watched Hunter, but I don't know if I would say the Banshee was "such a good show", but it was definitely fun and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. That and Strike Back. Pretty campy 80s ish style action. If you like Bruce Lee though, then Warrior is actually pretty legit.

I thought S2 and S3 had amazing action set pieces in almost every episode.   It’s not a great show like a Sopranos - but it knew what it was and excelled at that I thought.  Never thought Antony Starr would do much after, he never showed he had Homelander chops in it

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3049 on: July 03, 2023, 02:40:05 AM »
Yall fuckin with the new black mirror season?

I'm pissed I spent an hour 20 to watch an obvious resolution unfold with nothing extra.   As usual I'm just gonna go back to rewatching the twilight zone

I watched it over this weekend and I loved it

My favourite was the one with Aaron Paul due to the shock factor - fuck humans

But.... the Mazey Day episode has a special place in my heart lol who knew it would close out like that

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3050 on: July 04, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »
Buried it in another post, but wanted to strongly recommend The Other Two on Max.   

Series finale was today - three tight seasons, very funny.  Basic premise is about the older siblings of a Justin Bieber type who has just blown up fame-wise. 

I jammed through this this past weekend. I liked it and thought that season 3 was the best of them all. What is the production history for this? I'm assuming it was somewhat troubled? They wrote the Covid disruption into the storyline so I figure that had to knock them off track but was there meant to be more seasons? The finale felt weirdly compressed even if the last few episodes were super sized.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3051 on: July 04, 2023, 02:31:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I jammed through this this past weekend. I liked it and thought that season 3 was the best of them all. What is the production history for this? I'm assuming it was somewhat troubled? They wrote the Covid disruption into the storyline so I figure that had to knock them off track but was there meant to be more seasons? The finale felt weirdly compressed even if the last few episodes were super sized.

They said it was always intended to be the ending, but there are reports that the show runners were assholes or something that necessitated an internal investigation

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3052 on: July 15, 2023, 12:00:33 AM »
Anyone watching Soderberg’s new show Full Circle on Max?  Digging the first ep!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3053 on: July 15, 2023, 01:58:13 AM »
 :o
Its good. Fukn stressful.

Only tiny tiny gripe (that I'm willing to even cop as my own fault/user error) is it's one of those shows where the dialogue is really quiet and then something like a car drives past or the backing music kicks in and completely blows out the tv speakers. (And yes I've tried changing all the settings)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3054 on: July 15, 2023, 02:37:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only tiny tiny gripe (that I'm willing to even cop as my own fault/user error) is it's one of those shows where the dialogue is really quiet and then something like a car drives past or the backing music kicks in and completely blows out the tv speakers. (And yes I've tried changing all the settings)

Oh damn.  Wish I could help with that.  Didn’t have that same issue

Very glad I didn’t watch any ads for it bc it was fun trying to figure what the show was going to be.   Even after these two eps, don’t know what’s coming next but I’m pumped. 

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3055 on: July 15, 2023, 03:15:49 PM »
“ZOM 100 - Bucket list of the dead” is so cool. Shame it’s only one ep per week.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #3056 on: July 15, 2023, 05:01:16 PM »
the show ‘beef’ is really good. it’s only one season so far. it’s definitely worth watching if you enjoy dark humor/drama.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3057 on: July 16, 2023, 06:57:18 AM »
The Jewel Thief on Hulu is an amazing doc.   Guy looks like the missing Kid in the Hall

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3058 on: July 17, 2023, 07:39:01 AM »
My partner and I binged Yellowjackets (on Paramount+ through Amazon Prime). Brutal depiction of what I imagine it would be like to survive a plane crash and have to face the dangers of the forest. Very graphic in terms of violence and well written for the most part. Cast has a few notable names, but Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis are standout in this.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3059 on: July 17, 2023, 08:44:30 AM »
The Jewel Thief on Hulu is an amazing doc.   Guy looks like the missing Kid in the Hall

Was good, the dramatization of when he stole the cop car had me in stitches

Expand Quote
[close]

The rich kid in the beginning who had decks on his wall kind of gave me a lol
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:59:17 AM by Abyss1 »