Author Topic: The Lakai Pledge  (Read 127806 times)

micky682

Re: The Lakai Pledge
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
How do the new Guy shoes fit, true to size or .5 size larger? I'm a 9 in Vans, the new reynolds, and the busenitz adv.

chillout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
How do the new Guy shoes fit, true to size or .5 size larger? I'm a 9 in Vans, the new reynolds, and the busenitz adv.

id say true to size. i feel like the busenitz and busenitz adv are both a little long so i had space in between my achilles and the heel of the shoe. but i wear the same size for pretty much every shoe

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »

Okay so I have had the Lakai Howard XLKs for exactly 37 days (skating every other dayish). I would say I skate pretty hard in terms of flip tricks, lots of tre flips and kick flips. Each day I skate consists of 2-3 seshions lasting maybe an hour-hour and a half. So thats at least 56 hours of skating. As you can see the tread is fine. The flick has warn down through the tougher blue ribbon and gotten down to the suede. The suede lasted a surprisingly long time but there seems to be another white material under the suede. The ollie area has worn down but not all the way through. The shoe has perfect boardfeel meaning less protection but Im not exactly jumping down things anyway so it doesn't matter. The reason I bought the shoe was because of the ideal heel lock. The heel panel is sturdy, the tongue has a good amount of cushion, the toe is on the slim side. My last favorite shoe was the earlier Rick Howard XLK the "RH", now its a toss up. This shoe is great, and stylish.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:33:46 AM by swagdragon123 »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
**Howard shoe pic

Okay so I have had the Lakai Howard XLKs for exactly 37 days (skating every other dayish). I would say I skate pretty hard in terms of flip tricks, lots of tre flips and kick flips. Each day I skate consists of 2-3 seshions lasting maybe an hour-hour and a half. So thats at least 111 hours of skating. As you can see the tread is fine. The flick has warn down through the tougher blue ribbon and gotten down to the suede. The suede lasted a surprisingly long time but there seems to be another white material under the suede. The ollie area has worn down but not all the way through. The shoe has perfect boardfeel meaning less protection but Im not exactly jumping down things anyway so it doesn't matter. The reason I bought the shoe was because of the ideal heel lock. The heel panel is sturdy, the tongue has a good amount of cushion, the toe is on the slim side. My last favorite shoe was the earlier Rick Howard XLK the "RH", now its a toss up. This shoe is great, and stylish.

Nice mini review. I am about a week into mine and it's similar experience. I can't rave enough about the sole and the amount of grip and control. I usually don't like skating in low cut shoes, but the Howard make it really tough NOT to skate in.

I am so hyped the Howard XLK Mid is finally out. I just ordered mine from Lakai.com. If the Howard lo is any indicator, I am expecting the mid to be one of the best shoes I've ever had.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
After some initial excitement over the low-mid feature of the Marc, I ended up being disappointed in the "feel" of the shoe after a couple weeks of skating in them.  It could definitely be that I just blew it by getting the nubuck version instead of the regular suede, but still, it resulted in my first exposure to Lakai not being so hot and ultimately trying out the KA-II (which is incredibly comfortable). 

I am, however, interested in trying a pair of the Howards at some point if I have a chance to try them on in person...
hardly art, hardly starving

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »

Okay so I have had the Lakai Howard XLKs for exactly 37 days (skating every other dayish). I would say I skate pretty hard in terms of flip tricks, lots of tre flips and kick flips. Each day I skate consists of 2-3 seshions lasting maybe an hour-hour and a half. So thats at least 56 hours of skating. As you can see the tread is fine. The flick has warn down through the tougher blue ribbon and gotten down to the suede. The suede lasted a surprisingly long time but there seems to be another white material under the suede. The ollie area has worn down but not all the way through. The shoe has perfect boardfeel meaning less protection but Im not exactly jumping down things anyway so it doesn't matter. The reason I bought the shoe was because of the ideal heel lock. The heel panel is sturdy, the tongue has a good amount of cushion, the toe is on the slim side. My last favorite shoe was the earlier Rick Howard XLK the "RH", now its a toss up. This shoe is great, and stylish.

I liked ricks new shoe alot too, but I loved his last shoe (the soccer-esque RH). I have high hopes that biebels next shoe for spring 14 is gonna skate like an improved RH

ALZ

• Rep: 1
« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
**Howard shoe pic

Okay so I have had the Lakai Howard XLKs for exactly 37 days (skating every other dayish). I would say I skate pretty hard in terms of flip tricks, lots of tre flips and kick flips. Each day I skate consists of 2-3 seshions lasting maybe an hour-hour and a half. So thats at least 111 hours of skating. As you can see the tread is fine. The flick has warn down through the tougher blue ribbon and gotten down to the suede. The suede lasted a surprisingly long time but there seems to be another white material under the suede. The ollie area has worn down but not all the way through. The shoe has perfect boardfeel meaning less protection but Im not exactly jumping down things anyway so it doesn't matter. The reason I bought the shoe was because of the ideal heel lock. The heel panel is sturdy, the tongue has a good amount of cushion, the toe is on the slim side. My last favorite shoe was the earlier Rick Howard XLK the "RH", now its a toss up. This shoe is great, and stylish.
[close]

Nice mini review. I am about a week into mine and it's similar experience. I can't rave enough about the sole and the amount of grip and control. I usually don't like skating in low cut shoes, but the Howard make it really tough NOT to skate in.

I am so hyped the Howard XLK Mid is finally out. I just ordered mine from Lakai.com. If the Howard lo is any indicator, I am expecting the mid to be one of the best shoes I've ever had.

Would be cool if you could post your thoughts on the Howard Mid...the shoe looks great, but I have a feeling it will be a few weeks before it drops over here in Europe.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I liked ricks new shoe alot too, but I loved his last shoe (the soccer-esque RH). I have high hopes that biebels next shoe for spring 14 is gonna skate like an improved RH
Thank you! I've been saying this for so long that shoe was the best. Imagine an RH 2 with a Marana like toe cap that was the same shape as the soccer lines. Then have the flare heat transfered on and have the inside flare be that metal mesh that was on the RH. That would be the perfect shoes. I wish I could draw it

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Would be cool if you could post your thoughts on the Howard Mid...the shoe looks great, but I have a feeling it will be a few weeks before it drops over here in Europe.

ALZ - I Will definitely do that. I'm going to skate them for a few days and then post some pics and do a mini review.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
skating the Vincent Alvarez shoe right now, and I've put in about 20 hours on it with hardly any signs of wear, I wouldn't be surprised if these lasted me another month. It did take a while to break in because of the thick sole, but now they have perfect flick and are really nicely broken in. When I'm done skating them, I'll write up a review for you guys, but so far the shoe is great if you don't mind an awkward session or two at first.
damn those yarys bout those squats

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
just got these on sale for ?33

very stoked, a nice fit apart from a bit of rubbing on the right ankle (which should sort it self out after wearing them for a few days I reckon)

nylin

« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »
skating the Vincent Alvarez shoe right now, and I've put in about 20 hours on it with hardly any signs of wear, I wouldn't be surprised if these lasted me another month. It did take a while to break in because of the thick sole, but now they have perfect flick and are really nicely broken in. When I'm done skating them, I'll write up a review for you guys, but so far the shoe is great if you don't mind an awkward session or two at first.

Those shoes look so good I'm siked to hear they skate well.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those shoes look so good I'm siked to hear they skate well.
Yea seriously this is great news.

[img]http://letitrollskateboarding.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/la1-640x392.
How? Where? Link or it didn't happen. Also a mini review is mandatory.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:20:23 AM by swagdragon123 »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
The Guy shoe is great. Mini review over.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Those new Guy XLK's look super good, As do the Howards... not sure which shoe I would rather skate next. Im having trouble deciding... My last pair of Carrol 5's and Manchesters skated great. Havent had any of the XLK series.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »
I'll post pics later but a quick hit on the Howard Mid...So far I love the shoe. Lakai killed it yet again with this one. It's everything I hoped - which is basically all the great stuff about the Howard Lo but with the added benefits of a little bit higher cut of shoe. It's also stylish as hell.

I don't know what technology goes into this XLK sole, but in my opinion there aren't too many shoes on the market that come close to it. It's a great combination of grip and control, without limiting your ability to slide your foot around for tech stuff. It's the exact same shape in the toe as the Lo, so flick is no problem.

One thing I want to point out though is that it doesn't quite fit like a true mid. By the pics I thought it was going to be a little bit taller. No big deal, just pointing it out. It doesn't sit as high as the Caroll mid, and the cuff is cut straight where the Carroll is angled back. It sort of sits right at your ankle bone. I usually rotate shoes when I skate but I have purposely been trying to skate the shit out of these to test the durability, so far they're holding up beautifully.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

How? Where? Link or it didn't happen. Also a mini review is mandatory.

They were up on Flatspot in their sale section - to be honest I thought it was probably a mistake and toyed wtih grabbing two or three pairs.  Gutted now as they're back at ?62

Review wise, they're not being skated yet, seem a bit high and stiff on the ankle from just walking around in although I can feel them softening up a bit as the days pass.

Comfy as hell apart from that though, sole is nice and flexy (koston 1 ish but not quite in that league).  Had a quick scoot about in them and they are a solid shoe.

Once they've been skated in a bit more (off camping for a bit tomorrow) and if I remember I'll post up some pics and more details

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
just got Griffins and they skate great, good job on the new vulc on them and the vincents Lakai!

ALZ

• Rep: 1
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the input heritage, unfortunately the Mids wont be released here as far as my shops go...hopefully they'll get to Europe eventually.

Now I have to decide between the normal howards, guy xlk and vincents new shoe...the only local (read mallshop) that carries Lakai have the Howards but not the other two so can't try them all on...seems like all three are good solid shoes though, maybe it's dice time  ;D

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
just scooped one of the new pico xlk colorways and they've got a new sole and new tongue. ill report back

captainfalcon69

• Rep: 15
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »
ive been eyeing the all brown bb3s and might pull the trigger for my next skate shoes. how does the sizing run for lakais? i wear a 9 in vans and nike.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
ive been eyeing the all brown bb3s and might pull the trigger for my next skate shoes. how does the sizing run for lakais? i wear a 9 in vans and nike.

you should be good in a 9 then

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »
just scooped one of the new pico xlk colorways and they've got a new sole and new tongue. ill report back
Noted, good work Sergeant.

I just order the new Guy XLKs, if theres anyone you can trust to report back its me. over and out.

micky682

« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just order the new Guy XLKs, if theres anyone you can trust to report back its me. over and out.
I've been skating them for a few days, they skate real well except for the insoles which were causing me pain. Had to switch to a thinner fallen insole otherwise they skate right out of the box with good grip and flick.

BALT

• Rep: -28
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
I got the Pico XLK's for a 3rd time yesterday. They really are the best shoe out right now.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I've been skating them for a few days, they skate real well except for the insoles which were causing me pain. Had to switch to a thinner fallen insole otherwise they skate right out of the box with good grip and flick.
Roger that private, thanks for the intel. Are the insoles too thick, thin, oddly shaped?

micky682

« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Roger that private, thanks for the intel. Are the insoles too thick, thin, oddly shaped?
They sort of have an arch pad, the insoles have a concave like shape for the arch side of the foot. It might help others but for me it kept causing discomfort.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »

very stoked, a nice fit apart from a bit of rubbing on the right ankle (which should sort it self out after wearing them for a few days I reckon)

From Flatspot right ? I saw the offer bought them and a few days later got last seasons Mariano Vulcs in the Guy XLK box, had to send them back. In the mean time I decided to skate some Lindens I bought in Vancouver a few months back, half way through the first skate the shoe comes un glued from the sole on the inside of the left big toe. They are still skateable at the mo, but I am having a run of bad Lakai luck!

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From Flatspot right ? I saw the offer bought them and a few days later got last seasons Mariano Vulcs in the Guy XLK box, had to send them back. In the mean time I decided to skate some Lindens I bought in Vancouver a few months back, half way through the first skate the shoe comes un glued from the sole on the inside of the left big toe. They are still skateable at the mo, but I am having a run of bad Lakai luck!

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »