Author Topic: The Lakai Pledge  (Read 127812 times)

chillout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
Re: The Lakai Pledge
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
so ive skated the new pico xlks for like a week and im hyped on the changes. the sole pretty much feels exactly the same but gives the impression it may hold out longer. the slimmer tongue is a great improvement the construction overall seems a little more solid. making an already perfect shoe more perfect

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
Anybody skate those canvas Indio's? How were they?
This vegan needs shoes soon.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »

Not yet, would like to try some. I am riding the canvas manchesters right now, great shoe.

JBones

« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not yet, would like to try some. I am riding the canvas manchesters right now, great shoe.

Me too.  :)
The herringbone pattern soles are lasting longer than I thought they would.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
I'm about to get some regular Picos, how do they fit? i got the Carlo and it fits perfectly true to size, amazing shoes too.

shred420

• Rep: -25
« Reply #305 on: September 05, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
anybody got any info on the vincents

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #306 on: September 05, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
Vincent Alvarez
I've skated these shoes a lot over the last 5 weeks, and they are holding up unbelievably well. No ollie hole yet and I don't think there will be anytime soon, also there's a second layer of gum underneath the original white gum that gives the shoe extra life and a good flick even after this long of skating. Still on the first set of laces, and I've been relearning heelflips and varial heels on fresh mob with almost no wear on the side of the shoe. I'll probably keep skating these for a few weeks, best (definitely longest lasting) shoes I've had in a long time. And as you can see the grip on the bottom is still brand new.

Buy this shoe!
damn those yarys bout those squats

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #307 on: September 06, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
what's good with the griffins? they look like they're somewhere weird between mids and lows? and are they good?

HASHTAG

• Rep: -18
« Reply #308 on: September 06, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
what's good with the griffins? they look like they're somewhere weird between mids and lows? and are they good?

Only had one pair. One of the best shoes I've ever skated, for sure.

Yeah they're like mid-mid haha. They don't seem like they're gonna hold up that well, but they really did. Hade em for like 6 weeks, skating rough asphalt.

It's pretty much the sole they created for the shoe that got so popular, and they took the Griffins sole and put on the Vincent and like 3-4 new shoes for Spring 2014.

You should try em.
#HASHTAG

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah they're like mid-mid haha. They don't seem like they're gonna hold up that well, but they really did. Hade em for like 6 weeks, skating rough asphalt.

It's pretty much the sole they created for the shoe that got so popular, and they took the Griffins sole and put on the Vincent and like 3-4 new shoes for Spring 2014.

You should try em.
Woooooooooooooord up. Thanks. And how thick is the sole exactly? Just the right blend of thick and thin? Oh, and what's up with there being some sort of "midsole crate" I keep reading about. Does that mean your heel is raised up a little bit more than like your toes and ball of your foot?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Anyone skate the Belmont Xlk's? I got a pair from a discount store a few weeks ago. I've only cruised around in them and done a few ollies up curbs and such. I'm excited to finally try out the XLK, but I probably won't skate them for another month or 2.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

HASHTAG

• Rep: -18
« Reply #311 on: September 07, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You should try em.
[close]
Woooooooooooooord up. Thanks. And how thick is the sole exactly? Just the right blend of thick and thin? Oh, and what's up with there being some sort of "midsole crate" I keep reading about. Does that mean your heel is raised up a little bit more than like your toes and ball of your foot?

Uhm, the sole is actually pretty thick, it might get annoying at first but that's no problem once they're skated in.

And yes, I think the heel is raised a little bit, I'm not too sure!
#HASHTAG

shred420

• Rep: -25
« Reply #312 on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Vincent Alvarez
I've skated these shoes a lot over the last 5 weeks, and they are holding up unbelievably well. No ollie hole yet and I don't think there will be anytime soon, also there's a second layer of gum underneath the original white gum that gives the shoe extra life and a good flick even after this long of skating. Still on the first set of laces, and I've been relearning heelflips and varial heels on fresh mob with almost no wear on the side of the shoe. I'll probably keep skating these for a few weeks, best (definitely longest lasting) shoes I've had in a long time. And as you can see the grip on the bottom is still brand new.

Buy this shoe!
[close]
awesome that's what I was hoping, mine are coming today

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
I think I'm trying to choose between Griffins and Picos (not xlk) right now. Maybe even the Vincents? Are the soles on the Vincents really super thick or is it like the same as the Griffins? I'm probably most in to the Griffins since they're a little higher than a low, but the Picos also have an upgraded insole... Would anyone care to weigh in? Oh, and I'm wearing in 9 in Vans right now, so how would that translate to Lakai sizing?

The soles on the Vincents are thick.  Probably a little more than the Griffins.  They also taper slightly thicker in the heel.  I skate them as they are out of the box and they are honestly just as supportive as the DC Cupsoles I was wearing.  I have yet to feel the need for upgraded insoles in them.

They also seem true to size.  I wear a 10 in Vans and a 10 in the Vincent fit perfectly.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
These are my Lakai Guy XLKs after maybe 5-6 hours of skating

This is one great skate shoe, even better than my previous Howard XLKs. The shoe skates amazing and is proving to be very durable. The shoe feels like is has more too it on the upper than the Howards did but the sole is thin which is prefect for a modern cupsole. My heel and ankle feel very secure because of the plastic/rubber cup that hold it in place without sacrificing range of motion at all. I can tell the sole will last forever and the upper will have a slightly above average durability.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
^^^^
I'm so tempted to buy a pair of those but I need to stop buying shoes at the moment haha. If it's as good as you say they are I hope they keep making this shoe. Honestly one of the first shoes in a while that I've been super hyped on without actually skating a pair.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »
^^^^
I'm so tempted to buy a pair of those but I need to stop buying shoes at the moment haha. If it's as good as you say they are I hope they keep making this shoe. Honestly one of the first shoes in a while that I've been super hyped on without actually skating a pair.
well Lakai is always coming out with new XLK shoes which are all proper as hell so don't worry about specific models. I do know that these will have several colorways in 2014 though. This shoe looks better skated which is so cool to me. If money is tight and your local shop does't carry them you can find them online for cheap.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »
Anyone skate the Belmont Xlk's? I got a pair from a discount store a few weeks ago. I've only cruised around in them and done a few ollies up curbs and such. I'm excited to finally try out the XLK, but I probably won't skate them for another month or 2.

I have had a pair and an other should be arriving tomorrow, they are very durable & soften quite nicely. The only slightly negative thing was at about three months the grip went bald in the toes & the heel tab came partially unstitched, but that's after three months.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »
Expand Quote
^^^^
[close]
well Lakai is always coming out with new XLK shoes which are all proper as hell so don't worry about specific models. I do know that these will have several colorways in 2014 though. This shoe looks better skated which is so cool to me. If money is tight and your local shop does't carry them you can find them online for cheap.

I plan on buying them online eventually. These are a must have for me. I love when a show looks better skated. Thanks for the advice!

JBones

« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2013, 04:18:26 AM »
Lakai needs to come out with a Manchester midtop!

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #320 on: September 10, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »

Around 2010 they released a version of the Cairo Select Mid that had a Manchester toepiece.
I believe that the shoe, with the regular toe piece, only lasted one season and had three colors.
And to this day I still regret not being able to find a pair of the Manchestered version.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:28:30 PM by Cosme »

JBones

« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Around 2010 they released a version of the Cairo Select Mid that had a Manchester toepiece.
I believe that the shoe, with the regular toe piece, only lasted one season and had three colors.
And to this day I still regret not being able to find a pair of the Manchestered version.

Wow, thanks for that link.
Had no idea.
If they did that but in canvas, this vegan would retire on that shoe! Awesome!!!!!

JBones

« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
I've also always wanted to see a mid-top slip on, kinda like a Beatle boot version of a slip on.
I've seen the Vox Nav's that were like that, but never in canvas.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »

Im skating a pair right now. Im a couple sessions deep, and so far they have been great, and are only getting better the more I skate them. Once the sole is broken in and softens up a little bit, they are perfect.  Ive used them just for walking for about two months though, so they were perfect to skate right from the start.

JBones

« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
Who here has skated the Marc's and likes Half Cabs height?
How much lower are they than Half Cabs? Or higher than say a Manchester? Any annoying ankle/achilles tendon probs w/ them cutting in? I see they're making them in black canvas now and I want to maybe try em next set.  (I'm vegan so this is a big deal to me).

Have been skatin the canvas Manchesters for a while and I really like them, but do miss to the little bit of ankle-age that Half Cabs have.
I like one piece toe shoes, I hate and destroy toe stitching in minutes! And the sole supposedly lasts longer than the normal herringbone pattern cuz the treads are deeper/thicker, which is really good cuz I make my soles bald pretty fast. (Mob) I usually go thru the sole before I go through the uppers on my shoes. I also do the Shoe Goo thing. Ya kinda have to when you can only skate canvas and your on a budget and can't get shoes often.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:22:51 PM by JBones »

ZEBRA

« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
^^^^
[close]

Bought mine on Thursday. Couldn't help myself!!! Should be arriving by Wednesday. Really stoked!!! Hope they're wide enough.

nylin

« Reply #326 on: September 20, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
Got 5 pairs of the Vincents coming that were fuckin dirt cheap from that active sale. Fucking stoked to skate them.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #327 on: September 20, 2013, 11:25:25 PM »
Got 5 pairs of the Vincents coming that were fuckin dirt cheap from that active sale. Fucking stoked to skate them.
such a good shoe.
I'm so hyped to skate these when I'm done with the Deklines I'm skating.

damn those yarys bout those squats

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
such a good shoe.
I'm so hyped to skate these when I'm done with the Deklines I'm skating.

excellent choice in skateboarding sneakers my man!

Randozzi

« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »
both colorways are sick, but the Griffens. ooo lala!