Author Topic: The Lakai Pledge  (Read 127714 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: The Lakai Pledge
« Reply #480 on: January 20, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How many models is the XLK sole on? In addition to my Howards I want to add something else.
[close]
Several: Pico XLK, Linden, Telford, BB3, Guy XLK, etc.
The Howard shoe really seems to be the thinnest of all of the XLK shoes though.
[close]

howard and pico xlk feel similar thickness to me. the pico xlk is my go-to. if anything id say the guy xlk feels the thinnest, but you really cant go wrong with anything xlk. probably already said this ten times in this thread but I cant wait for the BB4. gonna be the perfect shoe
[close]

Chillout/Kinch/Randozzi and anyone that has skated the Guy XLK - I'm about to jump on a pair and I keep reading that it's a "stable" shoe in the heel and ankle area. I'm not expecting them to give me a ton of ankle support (well, none judging by the design) I'm just curious what is meant by that. And in your opinion are they cut around the ankle similar to the Howard Lo? Thanks guys.
[close]

yeah id say the stability is in how they lock your foot in. for me the howard low had the most ankle stability ive ever had in a low-top, but I found the guy xlk to be more comfy around the ankle due to the ankle having less material. my favorite of the three is still the pico xlk though

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to stay in the Howard. It has set a different standard (for me) of everything that a skate shoe should be. And Chillout, I know exactly what you're talking about...people think I'm crazy when I tell them it's one of the most supportive lo cut shoes I've ever had. The way it fits tight and wraps/locks your foot is unmatched by any other brand. But the fact that there isn't much around the ankle is a little misleading to some people that's never worn it.

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #481 on: January 20, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »
4 Sessions, so far i'm happy with These.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

*manchester lean*

i just treated myself with Cambys, cant wait to skate them. 1 more week of knee rehab till rollerboarding.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »
Expand Quote

*manchester lean*

[close]

i just treated myself with Cambys, cant wait to skate them. 1 more week of knee rehab till rollerboarding.

how do they feel? my feet hurt just looking at them

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

*manchester lean*

[close]

[close]

how do they feel? my feet hurt just looking at them

they seem to be pretty fine in terms of cushioning, much more than you would expect, especially since the heel is a little thicker. i?ll let you know as soon as i get a session in them.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
Just posted this in the set-up thread, thought it'd work in here as well...

Girl Mike Mo 8.0x31.88, Chocolate Eldridge pop secret 8.0x31.88 and Chocolate Hsu 8.0x31.88
Theeve tiax 5.5
Spitfire f4 classic 101 52mm

Lakai Fura, Fura, Guy, Vincent and Griffin

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #486 on: January 24, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »
Hell yeah BBK!

Terry

• Rep: 3
« Reply #487 on: January 24, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
Gotta say, Camby's are by far the best shoe i've ever had, onto my 4th pair right now.

I swap the insole for a thinner nike one and they don't require breaking in whatsoever.
Suede ones hold up pretty well but the canvas ones lasted about 5 skates max, has 8 holes in them after a couple of skates, no joke.

If you're gonna get them, definitely go with the suedes.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
Let me know how the fura skates!

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1211
« Reply #489 on: February 03, 2014, 06:13:55 AM »
Let me just start by stating I've tried skating Lakais since their inception and I've always been disappointed.  There always seemed to be something wrong with the construction or the fit was off, or something ... and yet, every other year or so I'd still buy a pair to try out. 

That being said, let me just say ... the Howard is awesome!  skated right out of the box over the weekend.  fits like a glove, good boardfeel, grippy, very light, and comfortable.   

Thanks to Heritage for the recommendation(s).
hardly art, hardly starving

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »
Let me just start by stating I've tried skating Lakais since their inception and I've always been disappointed.  There always seemed to be something wrong with the construction or the fit was off, or something ... and yet, every other year or so I'd still buy a pair to try out.  

That being said, let me just say ... the Howard is awesome!  skated right out of the box over the weekend.  fits like a glove, good boardfeel, grippy, very light, and comfortable.  

Thanks to Heritage for the recommendation(s).

Nice Art!! That gets me so psyched that you are digging them. I couldn't agree more with your post too...whatever internal changes Lakai consciously made to better their product is paying off big time, because the quality is night and day compared to a few years ago. And as I mentioned to you about the Howard specifically, it's sort of setting my personal standard to judge other shoes from. I usually skate in mids 95% of the time, but the Howard gives me so much board control that I don't even have to worry that I am skating in a low cut shoe.

Great looking kit by the way, as always.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #492 on: February 03, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
Chillout - They are all killer.

micky682

« Reply #493 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »

The BB4s look like a pointer Guy XLK. Will buy.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Has anyone had both the Howard's and the Guy xlk? Is the Howard bulkier or do they look about the same on foot?
damn those yarys bout those squats

micky682

« Reply #495 on: February 10, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
Has anyone had both the Howard's and the Guy xlk? Is the Howard bulkier or do they look about the same on foot?
The Howard's are not bulkier, they're actually pretty slim. The big difference I would say is that the Howard is flexible throughout while the Guy's have a heelcup and only a flexible toe.

HASHTAG

• Rep: -18
« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »
Let me know how the fura skates!

Got my first pairs of The Fura yesterday! They feel amazing, fit really well on MY feet at least, great boardfeel, no need to break them in, really grippy. I'll get back here to post more when they're done I guess.
#HASHTAG

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »
Any feedback on the Carroll 5? I have to get down to my local to try a pair on, but wanted to hear from anyone that has skated in them. Are they bulky or fit closer to the foot?

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
How does the Howard fit compared to the vulcanized Pico. Only thing I don't like about the Pico is that they fit a bit too long.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
How does the Howard fit compared to the vulcanized Pico. Only thing I don't like about the Pico is that they fit a bit too long.
I'd say go half a size up unless you like you're shoes ridiculously snug.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #500 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »

I'm curious but haven't had a chance to try them on. I like a bit more beef than an Era but less than a Manchester. Maybe like a Half-Cab. How would you say these rank on the puffy scale?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2014, 02:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm curious but haven't had a chance to try them on. I like a bit more beef than an Era but less than a Manchester. Maybe like a Half-Cab. How would you say these rank on the puffy scale?

not puffy at all but the sole is rather thick.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2014, 02:49:03 AM »
starting to skate the Camby now after walking in it for a week (absolutely not necessary, but i always do that).

some might complain that the insole is too thick, but i love it. also, judging to some friends that skated it, it lasts damn long. much longer than you would expect with such a rather thin shoe.

10/10, would bang again.

micky682

« Reply #503 on: March 10, 2014, 04:54:06 AM »
Howard XLK or Griffin? Only thing that would probably matter most to me would be which one leaves you less sore after a day of skating.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
Howard XLK or Griffin? Only thing that would probably matter most to me would be which one leaves you less sore after a day of skating.

if that's your concern, always go with the cupsole. I can't speak for the griffin's, but I'm skating the Howard's right now and they're perfect. Vulc boardfeel in a solid xlk cupsole.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1211
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if that's your concern, always go with the cupsole. I can't speak for the griffin's, but I'm skating the Howard's right now and they're perfect. Vulc boardfeel in a solid xlk cupsole.

agreed.  once my current pair of Howards die I have a bunch of Adidas to skate through, but then I'm looking to skate the Howard exclusively.  it really is that good. 
hardly art, hardly starving

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
Side by side, the Griffin's are actually a bit thicker than the Howard XLK. The Howard is much more flexible out of the box, you actually have to break in the Griffin before skating it.

I'm currently skating both the Griffin and the Linden (first time ever rotating shoes) and the Griffin feels as if it offers more protection in the sole, but due to being a thicker vulc, there's more weight on the shoe. Additionally, the Griffin feels much less secure on your foot, so ankle rolls are certainly a greater possibility.

Both shoes are roughly the same price on Whiskey Militia --- I'd suggest scooping both of them up (it'll probably be around $60 after shipping for both).

micky682

« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Side by side, the Griffin's are actually a bit thicker than the Howard XLK. The Howard is much more flexible out of the box, you actually have to break in the Griffin before skating it.

I'm currently skating both the Griffin and the Linden (first time ever rotating shoes) and the Griffin feels as if it offers more protection in the sole, but due to being a thicker vulc, there's more weight on the shoe. Additionally, the Griffin feels much less secure on your foot, so ankle rolls are certainly a greater possibility.

Both shoes are roughly the same price on Whiskey Militia --- I'd suggest scooping both of them up (it'll probably be around $60 after shipping for both).
Noice.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #508 on: March 10, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »

anybody skate these?

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #509 on: March 10, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »
I don't think thicker is the right word for the Griffins unless you're talking about the sole, there is very minimal padding on the Griffin, and the Howard is puffier. The Howard does seem like it would have much better board feel. I'm skating the my second pair of Griffins right now and they're great.
damn those yarys bout those squats