Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 702031 times)

da8o8santaclauz, Micki Free, skatebruh, minilogoflow (+ 1 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Frank and Fred

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2790 on: August 09, 2020, 06:23:50 PM »
97a is close to the no man's land of wheel durometer. Potentially too soft to slide really well and feel fast on smooth terrain and also too hard to bounce over shitty terrain. However, 97a speed wheels were the gold standard for wheels in the mid to late 80s as far as I could tell, so there is potential. I'm sure some people will find these too slow and some people will find them too grippy. Its going to be a compromise wheel but for me, in cold wet weather its fun to have a slightly softer wheel to get motivated to just blast around rough streets, grip in slippery indoor parking lots and damp skateparks. I currently use the Classic formula (wears out quick) or the Bones 99a STF for the same reasons. If these are anything like those two wheels with good durability, I'll be stoked.

Diocletian

« Reply #2791 on: August 09, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »
I’m on 97a wheels and they still powerslide pretty easy and chirp real loud. I think it’s a great durometer, not crazy soft by any means.

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2792 on: August 10, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »
hey, any euro pals that can help out?

i am looking for preferably 51/ 52mm F4 Classics in 99du but no luck on whatever online shops.....

Appreciate any info

https://www.nostalgiaskateboarding.com/produkt-kategorie/hardware/?filter_marken=spitfire
The homies in Austria have a few sets. Yeah I know not the greatest colorways but in these times ya know.
IG: @flowterspace

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #2793 on: August 10, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »
Anyone know offhand where I can find a set of 53mm radials or radial slims?
If you're open to used ones, I might be down to sell you my set.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2794 on: August 11, 2020, 05:32:09 AM »
Expand Quote
hey, any euro pals that can help out?

i am looking for preferably 51/ 52mm F4 Classics in 99du but no luck on whatever online shops.....

Appreciate any info
[close]
52mm 99 classics F4: https://www.darkslide.cz/klasicka/kolecka-spitfire-classic-green-black-99du-52-mm/
Not sure if they ship, probably yes. Hope this helps.

yo!!!
Thanks a lot, but after writing that i checked another site and just found some, they should be in the mail today.

www.nostalgiaskateboarding.com
Small Austrian Mailorder/ Boardbrand! Check it out

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2795 on: August 11, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »
The package descriptions are odd. How do tablets have a “thin” riding surface, while classics have a “medium” riding surface.

Stoked to try the 97a OGs.

tablets have a 20mm riding surface on 52mm size and classics have 15.5mm riding surface with the same size, so yeah they tweaking on the descriptions

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2796 on: August 11, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote
The package descriptions are odd. How do tablets have a “thin” riding surface, while classics have a “medium” riding surface.

[close]

tablets have a 20mm riding surface on 52mm size and classics have 15.5mm riding surface with the same size, so yeah they tweaking on the descriptions

I remember when tablets came out someone described them as having the thinnest profile and widest riding surface of any spitfire. Looking at the descriptions on the spitfire site, it seems more or less accurate. Whatever the case, been skating some 51s since like March and I can't quit them...they're like 47mm now and I've swapped them out a couple times but just keep going back. Such a good wheel...feels good on shitty pavement and locks in on slappies perfectly.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2797 on: August 11, 2020, 05:42:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The riding surface difference between a tablet and a conical full is .5 on the 53mms
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2798 on: August 11, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
The riding surface difference between a tablet and a conical full is .5 on the 53mms

And for 54mm the tablet and conical full have the same riding surface, so tablet isn’t a “thin riding surface” at all. Classics are the thinnest and they call it medium. Not that I care about their descriptions really, it’s just odd haha.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2799 on: August 11, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »
I’m kinda interested in those 97a’s. I’m setting up a bigger board that I haven’t decided it’s purpose and I am putting some 92a clouds on it. Would be nice to have a f4 to put on it

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2800 on: August 11, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
I like hard and skinny.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #2801 on: August 11, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »
Any info on when the 97s will hit the shops?
by the way deluxe is operating right now, you'll probably be able to order it from cowtown or tactics 4-6 weeks before your local gets it.

Juanjo789

« Reply #2802 on: August 12, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
Im getting 60mm f4 classics tomorrow, anybody here liked them? should i get 58s?

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2803 on: August 12, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Any info on when the 97s will hit the shops?
[close]
by the way deluxe is operating right now, you'll probably be able to order it from cowtown or tactics 4-6 weeks before your local gets it.

How exactly is it that they are operating right now? Most of my local shops have been steadily getting more DLX product than any of the big online shops.
How much for an order of ribs?

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #2804 on: August 13, 2020, 07:42:33 AM »
OK... at the local park my 51mm 99a F4s do not screech when sliding, and feel very slippery and unstable when tight carving. My bones 56mm 84b SPF do screech when sliding, and feel extremely locked and have literally never slipped as far as I can remember.

Is there an F4 that will screech when I slide and not slip when im carving fast and tight? Is it just a matter of the riding surface size? I clearly just don't understand wheel durometer/formulas.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2805 on: August 13, 2020, 07:54:58 AM »
OK... at the local park my 51mm 99a F4s do not screech when sliding, and feel very slippery and unstable when tight carving. My bones 56mm 84b SPF do screech when sliding, and feel extremely locked and have literally never slipped as far as I can remember.

Is there an F4 that will screech when I slide and not slip when im carving fast and tight? Is it just a matter of the riding surface size? I clearly just don't understand wheel durometer/formulas.

Screeches depend on the surface, and your park is probably better suited for the SPFs (probably a smooth concrete, newish park?) Either adjust your lines so you don’t slip out on F4s or try new urethane. If you like carving fast and tight while still keeping stability and not sliding out, try rain skates wheels in the yellow 98a or white 100a. They’re a smaller company but make sick wheels for bowl riders. I was also having this issue a couple years back.

cjt

« Reply #2806 on: August 13, 2020, 08:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Screeches depend on the surface, and your park is probably better suited for the SPFs (probably a smooth concrete, newish park?) Either adjust your lines so you don’t slip out on F4s or try new urethane. If you like carving fast and tight while still keeping stability and not sliding out, try rain skates wheels in the yellow 98a or white 100a. They’re a smaller company but make sick wheels for bowl riders. I was also having this issue a couple years back.

It's actually a slightly older concrete park (built 1999), but tons of spraypaint/paint covering the spraypaint which may be causing the issue. It's definitely still slipping where there's no paint, though. The F4s feel awesome on street, so that's probably where i'll keep them. I will absolutely look into Rain Skates!!!!

I assumed the 99a F4 would "grip" everything at the park better vs. the 101-104 or whatever my SPF wheel is specifically. I definitely gotta blow that logic outta the pipes though cause it ain't workin!!!

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2807 on: August 13, 2020, 09:27:49 AM »
Oh dude it’s definitely the paint. I also slip out like crazy on spraypainted surfaces with F4s, with the SPFs slightly better but still slippy. Definitely look into those rainskates, when I was skating this one bowl a couple years back it had layers on layers of spray paint which made carving fast feel like skating on ice. Picked up some rainskates stingers and they stuck to the wall, no slip outs. I think they’re produced by creative urethane, but they’re a trip because they carve like a soft wheel despite being 100A, but they keep speed like a hard wheel and rolls with the same feeling like a hard wheel does

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2808 on: August 13, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
Im getting 60mm f4 classics tomorrow, anybody here liked them? should i get 58s?

The 60s are really wide. I have set that are now about 56 and look very  fat and coned. I much prefer the 58s. They just hold a better shape as they get smaller. The 60 F4 classics are still a great wheel and if you want width- go for it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2809 on: August 13, 2020, 12:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 60s are really wide. I have set that are now about 56 and look very  fat and coned. I much prefer the 58s. They just hold a better shape as they get smaller. The 60 F4 classics are still a great wheel and if you want width- go for it.
Any chance those 60mms are classics and not F4s? The classic and F4 60mm are different shapes. I bought F4s 60s thinking they would be the wide guys but they were just big classics.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2810 on: August 13, 2020, 01:20:28 PM »
Mine are F4 formula classic shape.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2811 on: August 14, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100. This is why I look for a 54-58.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

cjt

« Reply #2812 on: August 14, 2020, 09:14:17 PM »
Oh dude it’s definitely the paint. I also slip out like crazy on spraypainted surfaces with F4s, with the SPFs slightly better but still slippy. Definitely look into those rainskates, when I was skating this one bowl a couple years back it had layers on layers of spray paint which made carving fast feel like skating on ice. Picked up some rainskates stingers and they stuck to the wall, no slip outs. I think they’re produced by creative urethane, but they’re a trip because they carve like a soft wheel despite being 100A, but they keep speed like a hard wheel and rolls with the same feeling like a hard wheel does

bless u for the insight!!!

Kaiser Ben

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2813 on: August 17, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
I'm looking for my first set of F4's. What's a good shape for a balance of hills and slappies? I though about classics because of slappies and powerslides, but probably not the best shape for control with speed down hills.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2814 on: August 17, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »
I'm looking for my first set of F4's. What's a good shape for a balance of hills and slappies? I though about classics because of slappies and powerslides, but probably not the best shape for control with speed down hills.

Conical fulls or lock-ins.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2815 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:58 AM »

conicals, conical fulls or radials

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2816 on: August 18, 2020, 05:49:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Conical fulls or lock-ins.
+1 for conical fulls
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Kaiser Ben

« Reply #2817 on: August 18, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Looking like 54mm 99a conical fulls for slappies and hill bombing. Do they still power slide pretty easily being that big?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #2818 on: August 18, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
I'd say tablets, they have almost the same riding surface as the conical full but have a slimmer profile. I'm riding them right now and they are dopeeeee. I bomb a lot of hills and are fucking choice for this, way better than the Classics (also f4) I had before.

Kaiser Ben

« Reply #2819 on: August 18, 2020, 09:33:43 AM »
I'd say tablets, they have almost the same riding surface as the conical full but have a slimmer profile. I'm riding them right now and they are dopeeeee. I bomb a lot of hills and are fucking choice for this, way better than the Classics (also f4) I had before.
I just heard that the straight profile makes it harder to slappy vs wheels with a rounded profile. Those were my first choice actually until I found out about the rounded profile for slappies thing.