Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689309 times)

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4110 on: April 23, 2022, 07:25:18 PM »
what size should i get the 60mm radial fulls down to before selling them? i managed to get them down to 57-58mm. i’m sorta sick of them and wanna get back on the 60mm classics

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4111 on: April 23, 2022, 11:01:32 PM »
I  have some old 54mm classic f4s That are about 52 now. Has anyone used a countersink tool to concave the side so it’s like a V5 or a conical? As long as I don’t go in far enough it doesn’t mess up wear the bearing seats it should be fine right?
Also if it works I’m kinda debating on taking tablets.l and making a narrow lock in. Leave the inside of the tablet alone and on the out side counter sink it so it’s concave and then round the edges a bit. I have all the tools at work. I just gotta make some sort of jig to hold the wheels but also I can just use a drill press for the counter sink and be fine to I think.  How dumb is this? @Mbrimson88  thoughts?

That could be fun!

For size and shape, Lock Ins are one side Tablet and the other side Conical Full, so Tablets are really just narrow double sided Lock Ins right from new.

OG Classics are more of the cutaway shape than anything else, with Conical and Conical Full wheels being the slightly more rounded top edge which makes them a bit more versatile for everything.

Shaping Classics down you can definitely take out a bit more wheel from closer to the bearing seat as they are the widest just there, but I find it easier to just round off the outside edges or flatten the side wall more than cut out the inside area.

Using an angle grinder with a more worn down smaller disc, I could get into the inside area of the wheel fairly well too when I wanted to get rid of the graphic on any wheel from Classics, Conical Full or even Lock Ins, so you could easily take out some of that part of the wheel as well, but more than anything it is about getting the wheel to spin as fast as possible to ensure the material you are taking off is as even as possible across the whole face, side or where ever you are working.

People have used a few different options, including in the clip below, which might be the safest way to change the shape of a wheel, if you had the machine to do it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFjeLGPFwzS/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ol Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4112 on: April 25, 2022, 06:59:25 AM »
Man, I could watch wheel lathing videos all day.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4113 on: April 25, 2022, 02:39:41 PM »

I thought the same thing.

Also, thank the skate gawds I don't have a lathe as I most certainly would do this shit...allowing my OCD to level up.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:44:25 PM by Xen »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4114 on: April 25, 2022, 05:45:55 PM »

I appear to have accidentally purchased the Spitfire Formula Zeros

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4115 on: April 25, 2022, 06:02:36 PM »

I just had a 2 week pair of formula 4s randomly lose a large chunk on me. Nothing as bad as you just posted but considering they are classic shape it is right on the riding surface

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4116 on: April 25, 2022, 06:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, that the skate gawds I don't have a lathe as I most certainly would do this shit...allowing my OCD to level up.

Ha yeah, I don't ever really want to go that far, but I have more fun with an angle grinder with what I have at home, so that is enough.

What were you skating when that happened?

Some rough road surface, sharp edged ledge or other type of thing that will take chunks out of any wheel?

Not meaning to come across as nasty, just asking.  I had definitely had a couple of chunks out of wheels from two things that I know will take chunks out of any wheel, no matter which brand or formula, most common one being screws sitting up just a bit on a DIY ledge / box thing and the edges / screws on wooden ramps, but that looks more like bitumen slides or similar.

Either way, you could send pics to DLX and ask them about it.  You might get some more wheels.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4117 on: April 25, 2022, 07:18:20 PM »

Damn, that's wild. That's like downhill wheel levels of chunk. Any idea what caused it?

My F4 99a Radial Fulls had some mild-ish chunking, but nowhere near as bad as that. I was just riding streets, sidewalks, and a tennis court. Must have been done by a pebble.

Between this and the mis-sized bearing openings/wheel wobble, it feels like Spitfire's QC is suffering a bit right now? I know its all anecdotal... but heck, I don't think I've even heard of F4s chunking before.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4118 on: April 25, 2022, 07:37:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, that the skate gawds I don't have a lathe as I most certainly would do this shit...allowing my OCD to level up.
[close]

Ha yeah, I don't ever really want to go that far, but I have more fun with an angle grinder with what I have at home, so that is enough.

Expand Quote

[close]

What were you skating when that happened?

Some rough road surface, sharp edged ledge or other type of thing that will take chunks out of any wheel?

Not meaning to come across as nasty, just asking.  I had definitely had a couple of chunks out of wheels from two things that I know will take chunks out of any wheel, no matter which brand or formula, most common one being screws sitting up just a bit on a DIY ledge / box thing and the edges / screws on wooden ramps, but that looks more like bitumen slides or similar.

Either way, you could send pics to DLX and ask them about it.  You might get some more wheels.

First big chunk was just from “general skating” (I noticed it skating a parking block in a parking lot).  The insane chunking was from tailsliding a metal edge ledge at a skatepark. Seemed like the loss of integrity from the first chunk was enough to have large pieces tear off in flaps pretty easily. 

Not blaming Spitfire for the extent of the chunking (the almost comical amount was certainly from that ledge) but these do seem somewhat softer and less durable than all of the other F4 wheels I’ve had in the past.  I typically never pay attention to the surfaces I’m skating to avoid this problem with wheels and never have had issues like this with Spitfires before.

Thought it was more amusing than anything else - still only riding F4s in the future and hoping these eventually smooth out (or the next set is a little more durable)… 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4119 on: April 26, 2022, 06:15:21 AM »

First big chunk was just from “general skating” (I noticed it skating a parking block in a parking lot).  The insane chunking was from tailsliding a metal edge ledge at a skatepark. Seemed like the loss of integrity from the first chunk was enough to have large pieces tear off in flaps pretty easily. 

Not blaming Spitfire for the extent of the chunking (the almost comical amount was certainly from that ledge) but these do seem somewhat softer and less durable than all of the other F4 wheels I’ve had in the past.  I typically never pay attention to the surfaces I’m skating to avoid this problem with wheels and never have had issues like this with Spitfires before.

Thought it was more amusing than anything else - still only riding F4s in the future and hoping these eventually smooth out (or the next set is a little more durable)…

That all makes complete sense.

It does seem like some things have been going a bit funny of late, but I know with every set of the older wheels, things feel a bit more controlled than with brand new sets, straight out of the pack.

Not sure if that is more just me feeling like it doesn't matter if an old well used wheel has issues, more so than a brand new one, but I also feel like wheels just perform a bit better once they have aged a bit as well.

Often I would get the older more weathered looking wheels from skate shops on my travels and they would skate so well for me, but there doesn't seem to be that wait time from production to shop sale now either, so maybe they are a bit "undercooked" if that could even be the word to describe them lately.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4120 on: April 26, 2022, 07:10:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I  have some old 54mm classic f4s That are about 52 now. Has anyone used a countersink tool to concave the side so it’s like a V5 or a conical? As long as I don’t go in far enough it doesn’t mess up wear the bearing seats it should be fine right?
Also if it works I’m kinda debating on taking tablets.l and making a narrow lock in. Leave the inside of the tablet alone and on the out side counter sink it so it’s concave and then round the edges a bit. I have all the tools at work. I just gotta make some sort of jig to hold the wheels but also I can just use a drill press for the counter sink and be fine to I think.  How dumb is this? @Mbrimson88  thoughts?
[close]

That could be fun!

For size and shape, Lock Ins are one side Tablet and the other side Conical Full, so Tablets are really just narrow double sided Lock Ins right from new.

OG Classics are more of the cutaway shape than anything else, with Conical and Conical Full wheels being the slightly more rounded top edge which makes them a bit more versatile for everything.

Shaping Classics down you can definitely take out a bit more wheel from closer to the bearing seat as they are the widest just there, but I find it easier to just round off the outside edges or flatten the side wall more than cut out the inside area.

Using an angle grinder with a more worn down smaller disc, I could get into the inside area of the wheel fairly well too when I wanted to get rid of the graphic on any wheel from Classics, Conical Full or even Lock Ins, so you could easily take out some of that part of the wheel as well, but more than anything it is about getting the wheel to spin as fast as possible to ensure the material you are taking off is as even as possible across the whole face, side or where ever you are working.

People have used a few different options, including in the clip below, which might be the safest way to change the shape of a wheel, if you had the machine to do it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFjeLGPFwzS/

Man we have a manual lathe at the shop but I don’t know how to run it. I may try the angle grinder route. I’m also thinking about using a corner round endmill in a drill press then mounting the wheel with a bearing to spin. But i need figure how sketch that is. We’re kinda slow at work so I’m wanting to mess around with some stuff. I run a cnc mill but I don’t know how to program or I’d do it that way.  I don’t want to ask our programmer to write one for me.

This is what I’m thinking to put in the drill press to round the corner and then if the wheel is mounted with the bearings just spin it. And hopefully it works kinda like the lathe video you posted. There old wheels so no big if I ruin them. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Oh and if I add the concave. Remove the bearing then use a countersink like this.

But we have these wide stubby ones that would work better but I can’t find a photo.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:24:48 AM by Murge »

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4121 on: April 26, 2022, 01:21:59 PM »
For sale/trade- 55mm radial Oski’s, ridden once at the indoor park. 97a CF already work perfect for me there and yet I can’t stop myself from ruining a good thing. Ate shit all day and my hand is purple. Get these away from me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4122 on: April 26, 2022, 05:54:52 PM »

Man we have a manual lathe at the shop but I don’t know how to run it. I may try the angle grinder route. I’m also thinking about using a corner round endmill in a drill press then mounting the wheel with a bearing to spin. But i need figure how sketch that is. We’re kinda slow at work so I’m wanting to mess around with some stuff. I run a cnc mill but I don’t know how to program or I’d do it that way.  I don’t want to ask our programmer to write one for me.

This is what I’m thinking to put in the drill press to round the corner and then if the wheel is mounted with the bearings just spin it. And hopefully it works kinda like the lathe video you posted. There old wheels so no big if I ruin them. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Oh and if I add the concave. Remove the bearing then use a countersink like this.

But we have these wide stubby ones that would work better but I can’t find a photo.

That all sounds a bit scary, but that is exactly what people have said to me with the angle grinder and I am used to it.

As you said, old wheels and spare time - give it a go and see how it works out.

Interested to hear and see results, which ever way it ends up.

braksabbath

« Reply #4123 on: April 27, 2022, 10:47:35 PM »
Tempted to get the 97d Classic shape. Wish they did 97 in every shape, OG classic or tablet would be perfect. Conical full works good but I want less clunk, might just hit them with the angle grinder for a narrow contact patch

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4124 on: April 27, 2022, 11:03:16 PM »
Tempted to get the 97d Classic shape. Wish they did 97 in every shape, OG classic or tablet would be perfect. Conical full works good but I want less clunk, might just hit them with the angle grinder for a narrow contact patch

It is definitely easier to take down Conical Full wheels for a more rounded look than getting new Classics.

I do this quite a lot to well used wheels that come back from others and they turn out really well - wide overall width, still medium to wide surface and slightly more rounded edges.

This might be the most I have rounded some off - started as 54mm when new.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNzIL65lTst/

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4125 on: April 28, 2022, 09:00:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is definitely easier to take down Conical Full wheels for a more rounded look than getting new Classics.

I do this quite a lot to well used wheels that come back from others and they turn out really well - wide overall width, still medium to wide surface and slightly more rounded edges.

This might be the most I have rounded some off - started as 54mm when new.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNzIL65lTst/

Does rounding over the edges help with ride quality?  I’ve got some 56mm ConFu’s I rode down to square and they feel pretty bad. I keep meaning to do a direct comparison to some similar size worn 54’s that still have some round over, but just wind up skating my current daily driver. I mean, I’m curious, but we’ve still (fucking STILL) got snow, so I don’t wanna burn a precious session dicking with stuff I prolly won’t ride anyway.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4126 on: April 28, 2022, 09:03:32 AM »

I ended up with a third pair of these, size 54, which I just don't need. If you wanna give them a shot, DM me and we can work out a deal.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4127 on: April 28, 2022, 08:22:36 PM »

Does rounding over the edges help with ride quality?  I’ve got some 56mm ConFu’s I rode down to square and they feel pretty bad. I keep meaning to do a direct comparison to some similar size worn 54’s that still have some round over, but just wind up skating my current daily driver. I mean, I’m curious, but we’ve still (fucking STILL) got snow, so I don’t wanna burn a precious session dicking with stuff I prolly won’t ride anyway.

I feel like it does a lot, but that could be more just me thinking I don't want to chunk out or catch on a sharp wheel edge, which I have seen happen before to others.

The best thing to do is put them on a board ready to skate, or even just set up something on an old truck mounted on a bit of a board, bearings in wheel and on the outer edge, hold the grinder at about a 45 degree angle and take it down a touch (not a lot, just feel it out), turn the wheel over and do the same to the other side.  Repeat times four and then at least they are ready to skate.  If you want to get a bit more into it, you can round the edge off a bit more, but even just to get a feel for them, by doing that one bit on the angle will make them so much more like how they were when new for the shape.

When I did the last few for someone else, I just mounted them one at a time, side on and worked each in turn, checked sizes, did a little more if needed and then packaged them up and sent them off.  If you have the time, but don't want to skate them right away, this is maybe the best way to do it, rather than putting the wheels on your main board, working them, then having issues with them on the odd chance you do get to skate right now.

mushypeas

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4128 on: May 04, 2022, 02:44:48 PM »
I got my board stolen and got a new setup with the black spitfire f4 classic fulls instead of the white/urethane color radials i always skated. They dont make the normal screeching sound that wheels should make and the slide feels unpleasant. Whats up with that? is it because theyre colored or the shape or because theyre new? im upset

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #4129 on: May 04, 2022, 03:16:01 PM »
I got my board stolen and got a new setup with the black spitfire f4 classic fulls instead of the white/urethane color radials i always skated. They dont make the normal screeching sound that wheels should make and the slide feels unpleasant. Whats up with that? is it because theyre colored or the shape or because theyre new? im upset

I've had the same experience with black wheels in the past. Bought the black AA Spitfires and hated them. Was on basically the same wheels but white (conical fulls 54 while the AA were 53s) before that and they felt different. At first I thought they might not be "formula 4" but they were. I honestly couldn't tell you why, maybe someone here had a different experience, or better yet an explanation on why they feel so different.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4130 on: May 04, 2022, 04:18:55 PM »
Honestly a lot of the time with new bearings it can make the wheels sound/feel softer than they are. Loosen your wheels up and maybe pop the caps on your bearings. I've had the same issues with new f4's and bearings too, the colored wheels shouldn't matter for hardness. My last swirl f4's barked like crazy and felt as hard as any "white" ones I've had.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 05:54:36 PM by 144p »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4131 on: May 04, 2022, 04:34:12 PM »

It's the color. The dye that they use messes with the urethane so it doesn't behave the same as the standard potato colored F4s. That's why a lot of people won't ride any of the colored F4s.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4132 on: May 04, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
any aus PALS might want to check out the hemley site:
97a conical full formula 4s got put up recently, for a reasonable price of $79.95
they have 54mm and 58mm at my time of reading
https://hemleyskateboarding.com.au/collections/skateboards/products/spitfire-conical-full-shape-formula-four-97-duro?variant=42018168995991
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4133 on: May 04, 2022, 07:15:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's the color. The dye that they use messes with the urethane so it doesn't behave the same as the standard potato colored F4s. That's why a lot of people won't ride any of the colored F4s.

I have both all black f4’s(Ishod’s) and classic formula black/purple swirls all in the classic shape. They still bark. You just gotta give the axle space some wiggle room. They do sound dead when it’s tighten all the way. The feel is almost like a 96-97A duro that has a signature spitfire slide with less bark.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #4134 on: May 04, 2022, 11:38:00 PM »
i had the skate like a girl 53 radials and they slide/ “barked” just like normal. I also had the orange tablets and they were completely fine. Never had the black so i can’t speak on that.

my question is the real difference between OG classics and conical fulls in regards to their shape. how different are they? i can’t really tell from photos

braksabbath

« Reply #4135 on: May 05, 2022, 12:36:36 AM »
OG classic is narrower, quicker turn and easier slide. Maybe more squared edge. Locks in real good. Doesn’t have the clunk of the CF but also doesn’t soak up rough stuff as well. Only had two park sessions on them but they’re my fav by a long shot now.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #4136 on: May 05, 2022, 06:35:41 AM »
i had the skate like a girl 53 radials and they slide/ “barked” just like normal. I also had the orange tablets and they were completely fine. Never had the black so i can’t speak on that.

my question is the real difference between OG classics and conical fulls in regards to their shape. how different are they? i can’t really tell from photos

OG classic is narrower, quicker turn and easier slide. Maybe more squared edge. Locks in real good. Doesn’t have the clunk of the CF but also doesn’t soak up rough stuff as well. Only had two park sessions on them but they’re my fav by a long shot now.

I think the best way to sum it up is the OG Classic and the Conical Fulls are very similar. As Mike Goldburg would say "virtually identical!" With the CF's overall being a 1-2mil wider over all.

The OG Classic is just a wider Tablet with side cuts. *With the conical edges.

(Would anyone else agree?)

I'll be sticking with the OG classics from now on, now that they are in F4.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4137 on: May 05, 2022, 06:17:51 PM »

Yes to those replies.

OG Classic are a slimmer wheel with a sharper edge and more cutaway inside, when compared to Conical Full wheel shapes.

The set I skated for a day or so, some park but mainly mini ramp session feel like a mix between Classic and Conical Full, in that they don't slip off coping as easily as Classics but they don't grip the coping quite as much as Conical Full wheels do.

Others who have skated them more on ledges and even sitting them on the edge of a bench show they have a little less touching than the Conical Full, which makes what I felt seem true when I skated them.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #4138 on: May 05, 2022, 06:38:37 PM »
thanks all for the replies! seems like OG Classics are next on my list for wheels :)

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4139 on: May 06, 2022, 02:49:27 AM »

Yes to those replies.

OG Classic are a slimmer wheel with a sharper edge and more cutaway inside, when compared to Conical Full wheel shapes.

The set I skated for a day or so, some park but mainly mini ramp session feel like a mix between Classic and Conical Full, in that they don't slip off coping as easily as Classics but they don't grip the coping quite as much as Conical Full wheels do.

Others who have skated them more on ledges and even sitting them on the edge of a bench show they have a little less touching than the Conical Full, which makes what I felt seem true when I skated them.

I'm tempted to go for 55 OG Classic (after going through LockIns, Tablets and currently on Classics)
Classic felt great but i want to go back to a wider wheel cuz they feel better in the streets

In the meantime, i had a session on some huuuuuge wheels with dimensions similar to kader's radial full (but 55 mm) and it was pretty bad in the crooked department and made my hanger feel really small.

TLDR: are crooked grinds feeling good on those OG classic ?