Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701773 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4200 on: June 08, 2022, 09:08:02 PM »
I’m grabbing a set this weekend. This is an old 80hd glow from a few years back under light for about 30 seconds:

I wish they’d keep the glows around as a staple. I can’t wait to see if I can leave smears of glow on lip slides.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4201 on: June 08, 2022, 09:14:51 PM »
I’m grabbing a set this weekend. This is an old 80hd glow from a few years back under light for about 30 seconds:

I wish they’d keep the glows around as a staple. I can’t wait to see if I can leave smears of glow on lip slides.

Now THAT would be so sick. I'm sure you could replicate something like that by putting some glow in the dark paint on your wheels or the obstacle.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4202 on: June 08, 2022, 09:21:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Now THAT would be so sick. I'm sure you could replicate something like that by putting some glow in the dark paint on your wheels or the obstacle.

We could be on the cusp of a new concept video - an (almost) full darkness part, minimal lighting with the glow of the F4 being the light source.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4203 on: June 08, 2022, 09:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

We could be on the cusp of a new concept video - an (almost) full darkness part, minimal lighting with the glow of the F4 being the light source.

It's going to be like a laser tag arena. We just need some KMFDM blasting at the spot too for the full laser tag experience.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4204 on: June 08, 2022, 09:34:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's going to be like a laser tag arena. We just need some KMFDM blasting at the spot too for the full laser tag experience.

Nah, its got to be Sandstorm and 90s Eurodance:

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #4205 on: June 09, 2022, 12:58:20 AM »

I like that they look like regular F4s. I have a set from a few years back
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4206 on: June 09, 2022, 06:52:44 AM »
Does anyone know if the glow changes the urethane?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4207 on: June 13, 2022, 11:06:33 AM »

Holy shit, those new Carlyle 97a 60mm Conical Fulls are HUGE.

If anyone gets their hands on a set, take a picture of the cardboard packaging with the measurements on it. Those things definitely look wider than even the Radial Fulls, which are wide as hell. Unless its somehow just the lens/perspective, they have to be AT LEAST 45mm wide. Honestly maybe 50mm+?

F4 97a are decent. They are very much a utilitarian wheel, but not something I would want to use as my everyday wheel. They do an amazing job at tackling crust, but a bit muted and bouncy feeling. Definitely slower on smooth ground than harder wheels, and not a "fun" wheel, because they don't have a very great slide. I bet they are great for hillbombing San Fran though.

I'm glad they are making the F4 97a in such a large and wide shape. It seems like that makes a lot of sense for that formula. Those things are going to be HEAVY though.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4208 on: June 13, 2022, 12:09:23 PM »
I got the 58 Conical Full 97s (not the Carlyle but exact same shape) and they are a tiny bit wider than OG Classic 60s.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4209 on: June 13, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »
I copped the 60mm 97a CFs. Unfortunately, the insert does not have updated size info (no Radial Fulls even.) But hey that's why they sell cheap digital calipers! They are 38mm wide with a 28mm contact patch. Those are just rough measurements and there might be a .something over what I posted but they are reasonably close. The Radial Full 60mm are 41.5/29 and look noticeably larger when you've got them side by side.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4210 on: June 13, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
How's the slide on 97a compare to 99a f4s?
[close]

Wasn't a fan of the slide. That is my main complaint with them (besides being a bit bouncy and muted feeling). They are hard to get sliding, and then they are really sticky once they do slide. Takes a lot of effort to not get bucked off a standard powerslide from my experience.

They tackle crust super well though, so a wheel with great utility... just not the most "fun" wheel.

When the Powell SSF 93a eventually come out, I recommend those over F4 97a. Similar amount of crust tackling, but feels like a harder wheel and slides super well.

100%. I said this in the wheel thread but the 93a Bones isn’t my favorite wheel but imo it is absolutely better than the 97a Spitfire (which I like a lot). Now that I’ve skated both, I will not be returning to the 97a.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4211 on: June 13, 2022, 03:34:37 PM »

@FuzzGNU

I thought the new 60 mm Conical Full wheels are the same shape as the old (not OG) standard urethane Classic shape, which were not round but actually in the Conical Full shape right from go.

Here is a close up of them anyway, measurements as Jakeumms said are the same.

* And yes they were big solid wheels, which is why a lot of the Bowl Barneys and others liked them so much.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #4212 on: June 13, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wasn't a fan of the slide. That is my main complaint with them (besides being a bit bouncy and muted feeling). They are hard to get sliding, and then they are really sticky once they do slide. Takes a lot of effort to not get bucked off a standard powerslide from my experience.

They tackle crust super well though, so a wheel with great utility... just not the most "fun" wheel.

When the Powell SSF 93a eventually come out, I recommend those over F4 97a. Similar amount of crust tackling, but feels like a harder wheel and slides super well.
[close]

100%. I said this in the wheel thread but the 93a Bones isn’t my favorite wheel but imo it is absolutely better than the 97a Spitfire (which I like a lot). Now that I’ve skated both, I will not be returning to the 97a.

Thanks for reiterating this!
I too like the f4 97s, but they are kinda weird, in that the wheel feels good on bad ground, and bad on good ground. So skating to the spot feels good, and then skating ‘the spot’ usually feels less good. I was all set to get some f4 53 classics and call it good, but these wheels are more and more intriguing.
I’ve been skating f4 52 conical fulls, 101s, the most often, and after a really harsh initial break in, they feel good. Some of the trash roads in the PNW are not fun, but the wheels roll way better than I thought they would, considering the hard durometer.
I actually prefer thinner, ‘classic’, shaped wheels, and really liked bones stf classic shape (v2s?) back in the day, just not as hyped on the plastic feel.
Really interested to hear more about these wheels, and thankful for more wheel options! It’s been awhile since there have been any significant wheel tech inventions

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4213 on: June 13, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »

@FuzzGNU

I thought the new 60 mm Conical Full wheels are the same shape as the old (not OG) standard urethane Classic shape, which were not round but actually in the Conical Full shape right from go.

* And yes they were big solid wheels, which is why a lot of the Bowl Barneys and others liked them so much.

Seems sacrilegious to go with the red swirl since that colorway is usually reserved for the 51mm Classics lineup
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4214 on: June 13, 2022, 06:25:17 PM »
Finally, after years of searching, I finally found 58mm Conical Fulls. Also, got the Jeff 60s.

First since the start of 2020 I think for the Conical Full 58mm in 99 duro.

I know a lot of people have been looking / wanting them.

Those 60mm 97 duro wheels should be good - right size for the shape and duro.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4215 on: June 13, 2022, 06:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for reiterating this!
I too like the f4 97s, but they are kinda weird, in that the wheel feels good on bad ground, and bad on good ground. So skating to the spot feels good, and then skating ‘the spot’ usually feels less good. I was all set to get some f4 53 classics and call it good, but these wheels are more and more intriguing.
I’ve been skating f4 52 conical fulls, 101s, the most often, and after a really harsh initial break in, they feel good. Some of the trash roads in the PNW are not fun, but the wheels roll way better than I thought they would, considering the hard durometer.
I actually prefer thinner, ‘classic’, shaped wheels, and really liked bones stf classic shape (v2s?) back in the day, just not as hyped on the plastic feel.
Really interested to hear more about these wheels, and thankful for more wheel options! It’s been awhile since there have been any significant wheel tech inventions

Yeah that was the EXACT thing I hated about F4 97a... Just so slow on good surfaces, and just never felt great. Like they felt alright on really shitty surfaces, but I don't necessarily want to spend all my time on those shitty surfaces.

The SSF 93a are definitely better on good surfaces than F4... But it really shines in shitty situations. Just feels like it normalizes surfaces to feel more similar, if that makes sense.

I've made tons of posts about all of the new duros in the wheels thread if you want to dig through and find them.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4216 on: June 13, 2022, 06:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Finally, after years of searching, I finally found 58mm Conical Fulls. Also, got the Jeff 60s.

[close]

First since the start of 2020 I think for the Conical Full 58mm in 99 duro.

I know a lot of people have been looking / wanting them.

Those 60mm 97 duro wheels should be good - right size for the shape and duro.

Do the packaging on either give the width and riding surface of those sizes?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4217 on: June 13, 2022, 06:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote

@FuzzGNU

[close]

Seems sacrilegious to go with the red swirl since that colorway is usually reserved for the 51mm Classics lineup

The funny thing is the red swirl was on the 60 mm wheels right from day dot as that was their signature product, so it might have been more the other way round, running out of colours and then having to put the red swirl on the 51 mm wheels when they came out to satisfy the need of so many smaller sizes, given it was at one point just 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60 mm but then they had added in 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 and 63 mm wheels, not to mention some of the weird ones like anything with .5 eg 54.5 for the Cardiel Classic Full shape I have still.

I get what you are saying though.

Edit:

Spitfire info with all the backing cards from this post for people if needed:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3759408;topicseen#msg3759408

Conical Full additions would be (diameter, width, riding surface):

58  37  27.3
60  38  28

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:53:04 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4218 on: June 13, 2022, 07:34:49 PM »
Is everyone skating these big wheels on ace classics/indys?
I tried putting radial full 56s on a set of 151s with 1/8" risers and this is all I could imagine:

I cant even imagine what 60s would look like on thunders, just doesn't seem right.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4219 on: June 13, 2022, 07:45:01 PM »
I tried putting radial full 56s on a set of 151s with 1/8" risers and this is all I could imagine:

I cant even imagine what 60s would look like on thunders, just doesn't seem right.

Ha yeah totally felt like that when I tried something similar, even making cruiser boards, I have to lift Thunders so much higher to get the same clearance as I do on Indy trucks.

Maybe some people are more used to it than others too.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4220 on: June 13, 2022, 08:50:41 PM »

I skate 56mm on Ace 44 without risers. Works well for me... a little bit of wheelbite here and there, but nothing I notice while riding. Radial Full 56mm were too wide/heavy in general for me personally... but even those didn't have major wheelbite issues for me.

I would personally only use risers if I was skating 57/58+ I think.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4221 on: June 14, 2022, 08:21:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
the wheel feels good on bad ground, and bad on good ground

This is exactly it, you said it perfectly. This is what the Bones wheels provide that the Spitfires did not.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #4222 on: June 21, 2022, 04:40:35 AM »
I had something weird happening to my F4 97a wheels after riding them for a few months. On my toe-side back wheel the bearings do not fit the wheel anymore. It seems as if the wheel widened on the inside and is not gripping the bearing anymore. I never had something like this happen before after countless sets of harder F4 wheels. Anybody ever experience something like this? Is this a defect?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4223 on: June 22, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »
Just spent the last few days hitting some very haggard Oregon coastal parks on some 60mm F4 OG Classics. It was so much easier to cruise through haggard crust and get to the coping in areas I previously had to strategize and pump like crazy to reach. Thankful for wheel wells.

That's it. That is my report.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4224 on: June 22, 2022, 06:33:45 PM »
Just spent the last few days hitting some very haggard Oregon coastal parks on some 60mm F4 OG Classics. It was so much easier to cruise through haggard crust and get to the coping in areas I previously had to strategize and pump like crazy to reach. Thankful for wheel wells.

Wheel wells are underrated.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4225 on: June 22, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm actually enjoying my wheel wells as well. Although my trucks are so loose I still sometimes wheelbite even though i'm on 52mm conicals

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4226 on: June 22, 2022, 08:48:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm actually enjoying my wheel wells as well. Although my trucks are so loose I still sometimes wheelbite even though i'm on 52mm conicals

If you ride loose it helps sooooo much; I'm surprised there aren't more boards out there with them.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4227 on: July 04, 2022, 07:11:12 AM »
Maybe it's been answered already, but I didnt find anything:
Got the Kader 60mms Radial Fulls, not yet set up, but want to now and just realised they aren't symmetrical. The printed side has a deeper cut out for bearings, than the unprinted. So if you put the side with the graphics outside, the wheels will stick out more... Normal? The 57mm Oski Radials I'm currently on are perfectly symmetrical...

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #4228 on: July 04, 2022, 08:20:22 AM »
yeah that seems to be the case. at least for the set i’m on rn

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4229 on: July 04, 2022, 11:19:16 AM »
yeah that seems to be the case. at least for the set i’m on rn

Yeah ok they are asymmetrical, but also 2 out of 4 wheels had the unprinted side not properly cut out, so the bearings didnt fit all the way in. Had to carve them out with a knife...