Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689282 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5040 on: May 13, 2023, 10:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Spitfire make a classic with side cuts. Like bones v5
[close]

This would be amazing

Or they could just bring back Radial Slims in 99a
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #5041 on: May 14, 2023, 01:32:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This would be amazing
[close]

Or they could just bring back Radial Slims in 99a

This.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5042 on: May 14, 2023, 01:58:25 AM »
It doesn't seem consistent with the lock-ins full description from the catalog:
Expand Quote
A wider version of the lock-in shape.
Asymmetrical shape and design, featuring a conical cut profile on one side and a straight edge "lock-in" cut on the other
[close]
that wheel in the story doesn't really look asymetrical, iirc the inside should be flatter

Radial full are coming in 54mm. Not a new shape per se but a new diameter option for radial full

Anyway Lock-Ins Full and Radial Full 54mm are the only wheels that could be considered new in the Summer catalog

i think Radial full suck, they make your hanger so tiny

I guess it just feels like a “ramp wheel” shape to me and Spitfire has always been more of a “street wheel” brand. That said, these look much better than the regular Lock-Ins to me. Aesthetically, I never liked the Tablet half on those (even though I don’t mind the look of Tablets in general).

For anyone who has had old Lock Ins, does the current back of the wheel look a lot more rounded than it used to?

The first set of those I got seemed like they were so very sharp on the back edge of them, not quite to a point but definitely way more Tablet sided, but seeing the new ones now, they are way more rounded.

I did also notice that the older ones did sit way more offset in covering more hanger, whereas the newer ones sit way more offset out not covering much past the washers on the hanger.  No idea when that shape changed, but it has for sure.

That new shape looks way more "normal" sort of like the mini combo wheel shape, as earlier stated, but I still prefer any wheel that I can flip over and still ride the same, way more than an asymmetrical shaped wheel.

Curious to see these, but not curious enough to buy a set.

Did spitfire give up on the slim wheel market share?
Seems like bones never even tried to get any of the wide wheel share either.

Funny you say that because most shops didn't want to touch the wider Bones wheels and there were some very big wide wheels around, maybe still around, but the V6 shape is the newest one and is round and full.

Can't remember the shape but the SPF 60mm big round ones were 40mm wide and I had a number of those pass through my hands for the guys who wanted something like the Spitfire Bighead shape in 59mm x 39mm sizes.

Looked them up and P3 were the wide ones.

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/bones-wheels-shapes_3_1-1.jpg

I guess too, seeing the smaller Spitfire Lil Smokies, or just the regular F4 Classics, or Tablets, or even Conical shape, there are still a number of options for slim wheels, but they definitely are not the slimmest wheels on the market, as per some of those Bones STF wheels under 30mm wide, or the STF V3 like 54x30mm with thin riding surface, which is what one of the spono guys would always ask for.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5043 on: May 14, 2023, 07:32:54 AM »
The newest batch of conical fulls and Lock ons definitely got a slight shape change. Conicals have a bit more radius on the edges vs the sharper one that seemed more prone to chipping.
The new max Palmer wheels are a lighter color and the graphic seems to wear away slower. The wheels feel awesome and slide better than the last few sets I skated.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5044 on: May 14, 2023, 08:28:09 AM »
The newest batch of conical fulls and Lock ons definitely got a slight shape change. Conicals have a bit more radius on the edges vs the sharper one that seemed more prone to chipping.
The new max Palmer wheels are a lighter color and the graphic seems to wear away slower. The wheels feel awesome and slide better than the last few sets I skated.

whoa, hopefully someone comes through with some comparison pictures

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #5045 on: May 14, 2023, 08:55:22 AM »

same got the 56 cf skatelikeagirl sets and they slide better than the 56 cfs i had in 2020

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5046 on: May 15, 2023, 09:18:03 AM »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #5047 on: May 15, 2023, 10:45:07 AM »
recently switched back from wide F4 stuff, like conical fulls and radials, to classic shape... noticeably clears up some truck real estate, which is fun. 

hardly art, hardly starving

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 58
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #5048 on: May 15, 2023, 11:59:29 AM »
Went from 53mm 99du Conical Full back to an Ishod 53mm 99du Classic and think imma stick with the classics for a bit...

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5049 on: May 15, 2023, 12:30:15 PM »
recently switched back from wide F4 stuff, like conical fulls and radials, to classic shape... noticeably clears up some truck real estate, which is fun.
They're almost exactly the same width though. Classics just have a tiny riding surface, but they're super wide

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5050 on: May 15, 2023, 02:42:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They're almost exactly the same width though. Classics just have a tiny riding surface, but they're super wide

well, there goes that hair-brained theory of mine.  still like the return to the classics.   

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5051 on: May 15, 2023, 04:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

well, there goes that hair-brained theory of mine.  still like the return to the classics.   

For angled grinds like a crook they have more room/less severe angle because the sidewall of the wheel is sliding

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5052 on: May 15, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »
I just went from classics to conical regs and i feel like I keep missing 50 50s but lock in on crooks better. Can someone smarter than me tell me if it’s just me making it up  or is this because of the wheels?

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #5053 on: May 15, 2023, 08:49:54 PM »
I just went from classics to conical regs and i feel like I keep missing 50 50s but lock in on crooks better. Can someone smarter than me tell me if it’s just me making it up  or is this because of the wheels?

Classics tend to give you more hanger, but not a ton more where you should be missing 50-50’s. But, it sounds like there’s a correlation between the 2 for you personally. So, maybe?

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #5054 on: May 23, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #5055 on: May 23, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Classics tend to give you more hanger, but not a ton more where you should be missing 50-50’s. But, it sounds like there’s a correlation between the 2 for you personally. So, maybe?
Classic edges=round=slip on 5050. Conical edges=flat=catch on 5050. Some would argue that classics pinch better as well, but there’s a huge conical trend and all these kids are pinching like crazy so idk if shape truly matters to that. I’ll slip out on back 5050 with classics for sure just cause it’s going over the lip.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5056 on: May 23, 2023, 08:36:16 AM »

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #5057 on: May 23, 2023, 10:20:51 AM »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5058 on: May 23, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote

id love a radial full in the 52-54 range
[close]

Those wheels come in 54mm

oh man, thanks for point that out.  i didnt go through all the slides

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5060 on: May 23, 2023, 04:46:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

id love a radial full in the 52-54 range
[close]

Ha yeah, just skate the 54 mm wheel down a bit and there you go.

I know it is not as easy as that, but once any of the bigger wheels wear down a lot, that is what they look like.

Kinda funny seeing wheels that were 58 x 38 now down to 52 mm but still 38 wide.

I took a screen shot of the new chart anyway, as others might not go through the post to see it.

Lock In Full chart too:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:06:26 PM by Mbrimson88 »

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #5061 on: May 23, 2023, 08:39:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This would be amazing

I’ve been saying this! Flip like a Classic, lock-in like a conical. Conical Slim!

rikki

« Reply #5062 on: May 23, 2023, 10:52:36 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5063 on: May 23, 2023, 10:56:33 PM »
the normal Radial is a great F4 wheel.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5064 on: May 23, 2023, 10:57:09 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial Slim is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.

Fixed. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rikki

« Reply #5065 on: May 23, 2023, 11:04:18 PM »
Expand Quote
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial Slim is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.
[close]

Haha! Well, that's the second best F4 wheel IMO so won't start an argument here. :)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5066 on: May 23, 2023, 11:22:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha! Well, that's the second best F4 wheel IMO so won't start an argument here. :)

Fair. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #5067 on: May 24, 2023, 06:00:14 AM »

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5068 on: May 24, 2023, 06:33:05 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CslxQIMLQEp/

This might be my OCD coming thru, but i love how they used a circular graphic on these.
For shapes where the graphic doesnt fully wear off like radials, CF, OGs, non-circular graphics kind of bum me out once the wheels are worn in, makes me less likely to flip the wheel around for even wear

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5069 on: May 24, 2023, 07:11:49 AM »

This might be my OCD coming thru, but i love how they used a circular graphic on these.
For shapes where the graphic doesnt fully wear off like radials, CF, OGs, non-circular graphics kind of bum me out once the wheels are worn in, makes me less likely to flip the wheel around for even wear

You are not the only one.

I have taken more than a few graphics off, not just for myself, but also when people wanted a wheel shape, but didn't like the graphic that came on the wheel, so besides turning the graphic in, I had often taken a razor blade and scratched off the graphic, just to keep them happy.

They do look good with the thin round circle close in to the bearings on Formula Four Classics and others that have that sort of graphic, but some of the bigger single graphics I can definitely see they will need to come off for some people I skate with.