Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689249 times)

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5100 on: May 30, 2023, 09:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial Slim is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.
[close]

Fixed. :)
[close]
Honestly I feel regular Conicals are fucking great, and Id dare to say they are the best F4 option?! They have a wide(r) contact patch but are still only a bit wider than a Classic (or atleast feels this way) and you get all the benefits of a square shaped wheel while still looking like a normal wheel (meaning not a huge wide one like CFs)

Do you like them better than OGs? Aside from availability

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #5101 on: May 31, 2023, 12:23:36 AM »
How do you guys feel about OGs/Conicals that have originally been 55-56mm but have been worn down to c. 53mm? Do they feel "too wide" for you or do you just not give a f---? My old 55 OGs are now around 52-53 and they seem kinda clunky. Maybe I'm just projecting and should just skate them and shut up, but still. Y'know. Gear madness / OCD.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5102 on: May 31, 2023, 10:48:12 AM »
How do you guys feel about OGs/Conicals that have originally been 55-56mm but have been worn down to c. 53mm? Do they feel "too wide" for you or do you just not give a f---? My old 55 OGs are now around 52-53 and they seem kinda clunky. Maybe I'm just projecting and should just skate them and shut up, but still. Y'know. Gear madness / OCD.

The edge definitely gets a bit sharp and they square off quite badly when worn down a lot.

I use an angle grinder and gently round the corners off the wheels, which does wonders for their longevity - almost makes them feel like new wheels again for me anyway, but it is not something to just jump at and I recommend going very slow and steady to work out the best way to do it, even using some old wheels first, just to get a feel for it, but it is relatively easy once you get the hang of it and even a small battery powered angle grinder works well / may even be better than a big high powered industrial grinder type of thing.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5103 on: May 31, 2023, 11:54:56 AM »
Nothing much to add, and I know it's been said before, but spitfire really nailed it with F4's.

I'm an "older" guy and have recently gotten back into it with my kids after a long break. So far I've tried Dragons and X97's on my own setup, and Bones 99's, 103a STF's and 104 SPF's on buddies setups.

Decided to buy into the hype and picked up 56mm Conical Full's in 99a and bam, done, love them. I dunno what it is but they just feel and sound like what a skateboard is supposed to for me. Dragons and X97's feel a bit rubbery, STF's and SPF's feel like plastic, F4's just feel perfect.

That's it, love F4's, carry on.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #5104 on: May 31, 2023, 02:05:09 PM »
Nothing much to add, and I know it's been said before, but spitfire really nailed it with F4's.

I'm an "older" guy and have recently gotten back into it with my kids after a long break. So far I've tried Dragons and X97's on my own setup, and Bones 99's, 103a STF's and 104 SPF's on buddies setups.

Decided to buy into the hype and picked up 56mm Conical Full's in 99a and bam, done, love them. I dunno what it is but they just feel and sound like what a skateboard is supposed to for me. Dragons and X97's feel a bit rubbery, STF's and SPF's feel like plastic, F4's just feel perfect.

Dude, I just got back from taking my new 57mm lock-ins for a test drive and was gonna hop on here and post ‘these are perfect, these sound and feel exactly how a skateboard should feel’. Also older dude coming from a hiatus and spurned on by my kids interest in my old pastime. Fuckin weird koinkidink

Samsquantch

« Reply #5105 on: May 31, 2023, 02:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude, I just got back from taking my new 57mm lock-ins for a test drive and was gonna hop on here and post ‘these are perfect, these sound and feel exactly how a skateboard should feel’. Also older dude coming from a hiatus and spurned on by my kids interest in my old pastime. Fuckin weird koinkidink

Ha! Right on. Yep, first warmup lap around the skatepark and it's like, yeah, love these...

The sound and feel thing cannot be overstated, first push always just feels awesome.

Went with Dragons and X97's first after drinking the YouTube old guy Kool aid, but honestly I'm happier with one setup with F4's for park and normal skating, and another setup with 78a OJ's for cruising.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #5106 on: May 31, 2023, 02:48:02 PM »
I don't think I could ever stray from F4s at this point. Some wheels might be faster on certain terrains or slide better in certain situations and even more durable but no other wheel has the entire package along with that unmistakeable 'feel' on nearly all terrain.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #5107 on: May 31, 2023, 02:52:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha! Right on. Yep, first warmup lap around the skatepark and it's like, yeah, love these...

The sound and feel thing cannot be overstated, first push always just feels awesome.

Went with Dragons and X97's first after drinking the YouTube old guy Kool aid, but honestly I'm happier with one setup with F4's for park and normal skating, and another setup with 78a OJ's for cruising.

I was going to try Dragons and X97s (same thing, YouTube) but went with my gut. I’ve tried a few different things under the Powell umbrella and well, hated them. The sole exception being OJs because of course we have to have more in common.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5108 on: May 31, 2023, 03:39:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was going to try Dragons and X97s (same thing, YouTube) but went with my gut. I’ve tried a few different things under the Powell umbrella and well, hated them. The sole exception being OJs because of course we have to have more in common.

I also love Elder... 

OJ super juice are such a riot for bombing around the neighborhood, just plow through whatever.

Powell... I really like how they innovate and actually make their own shit, but holy moly, their whole "brand" I just can't get into. All their graphics look like they were done in Microsoft paint.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #5109 on: May 31, 2023, 03:55:49 PM »

I also love Elder... 

Lmao get the fuck outta here. Lore is probably my favorite record of that whole decade. Modeled my whole stoner guitar tone on it. Not to mention my handle.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5110 on: May 31, 2023, 04:13:07 PM »
Expand Quote

I also love Elder... 

[close]

Lmao get the fuck outta here. Lore is probably my favorite record of that whole decade. Modeled my whole stoner guitar tone on it. Not to mention my handle.

Only discovered them in the past five years or so, but yeah, Lore is a banger. My no 1 get fired up on the way to the trail when I go DH mtn biking album.

rikki

« Reply #5111 on: June 01, 2023, 06:35:35 AM »
I don't think I could ever stray from F4s at this point. Some wheels might be faster on certain terrains or slide better in certain situations and even more durable but no other wheel has the entire package along with that unmistakeable 'feel' on nearly all terrain.

This.

The only wheel that has come close from other brands is the OJ Elite Hardline 99, which I've liked in indoor parks that have a lot of plywood transition. They have a bit more grip than the F4 on plywood but are fast. However, the sound is not there. :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:52:17 AM by rikki »

Samsquantch

« Reply #5112 on: June 01, 2023, 07:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

The only wheel that has come close from other brands is the OJ Hardline 99, which I've liked in indoor parks that have a lot of plywood transition. They have a bit more grip than the F4 on plywood but are fast. However, the sound is not there. :D

Good to know, my indoor is dusty AF usually. Just about busted my nose slipping out on the skatelite mini during the winter. I was running X97's and the dust kept building up on them. My buddy had Dragons and dust didn't seem to stick to them?

rikki

« Reply #5113 on: June 01, 2023, 07:54:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

The only wheel that has come close from other brands is the OJ Hardline 99, which I've liked in indoor parks that have a lot of plywood transition. They have a bit more grip than the F4 on plywood but are fast. However, the sound is not there. :D
[close]

Good to know, my indoor is dusty AF usually. Just about busted my nose slipping out on the skatelite mini during the winter. I was running X97's and the dust kept building up on them. My buddy had Dragons and dust didn't seem to stick to them?

Softer wheels are def grippier in dusty indoors, but they tend to be slow. Haven't tried the Dragons, though. Buddy of mine had OJ Keyframes (87a or so) there in the winter and I tried them once – worst wheels ever for park, felt like flat tires on train tracks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:27:08 AM by rikki »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #5114 on: June 02, 2023, 02:34:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

[close]

[close]

Softer wheels are def grippier in dusty indoors, but they tend to be slow. Haven't tried the Dragons, though. Buddy of mine had OJ Keyframes (87a or so) there in the winter and I tried them once – worst wheels ever for park, felt like flat tires on train tracks.
I don’t know what terrain keyframes should be good,  too hard for bad finnish asphalt and too slow for smooth parks/indoors…
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 103
« Reply #5115 on: June 02, 2023, 03:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I also love Elder... 

[close]

[close]

Only discovered them in the past five years or so, but yeah, Lore is a banger. My no 1 get fired up on the way to the trail when I go DH mtn biking album.

I am seeing Elder tonight, I think it’s silly that some people DON’T put F4’s on their board, and I’ve been downhill mountain biking like once.

But I think Reflections Of A Floating World is Elder’s undisputed masterpiece.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5116 on: June 02, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »

Ever word of this.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5117 on: June 02, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »
I used to feel the same about F4's but they're way too slippery. Even the 97a's sometimes surprise me with a close call of almost slipping out. Forget about even trying them indoors. Until they make offerings in 92a-95a I'll keep skating Dogtown's. If harder wheels are your thing, then yeah I agree they are the premium choice if you have the money. Crazy reading how expensive they are in some countries outside the USA.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #5118 on: June 02, 2023, 10:19:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the normal Radial Slim is great combination of basically every F4 wheel. Not too conical, not too round, not too wide, not too slim. Flips, locks in, does basically everything. Am I tripping? If so, it's a good trip.
[close]

Fixed. :)
[close]
Honestly I feel regular Conicals are fucking great, and Id dare to say they are the best F4 option?! They have a wide(r) contact patch but are still only a bit wider than a Classic (or atleast feels this way) and you get all the benefits of a square shaped wheel while still looking like a normal wheel (meaning not a huge wide one like CFs)
[close]

Do you like them better than OGs? Aside from availability
I'd say they are just as good. It just depends if you are feeling a skinnier wheel or a wider one. My top shapes are for sure Conicals and OG classics.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5119 on: June 02, 2023, 03:42:56 PM »
I used to feel the same about F4's but they're way too slippery. Even the 97a's sometimes surprise me with a close call of almost slipping out. Forget about even trying them indoors. Until they make offerings in 92a-95a I'll keep skating Dogtown's. If harder wheels are your thing, then yeah I agree they are the premium choice if you have the money. Crazy reading how expensive they are in some countries outside the USA.

Almost everything for me is ok on F4 99s, but yeah some of the slippery surface ramps / indoor parks or even new parks are way better on softer / more grippy wheels.  I have the 97s on for a little more grip on a couple of boards for one new park near me I go to, but there are definitely places I would still find them not quite so safe and I ride 90 to 92 duro wheels on the skatelite ramps at the indoor park and don't feel like I am going to be rolling the dice every run.

Others I know who have cat like reflexes and way better balance ride 99s or 101s on everything, so sure some people can still deal with it and not change them out, but for most people, either older or just not quite so light on their feet, the slip out factor is very real and altogether too many slams happen on the skatelite surfaces or slippery new parks round here that I have seen and heard.

Re cost of goods - Funny thing about places like here in Australia, everything has gone up considerably, so although Spitfires are going up (AU $80 - $90), those new OJ wheels still top out as the most expensive wheels I have ever seen by a mile (AU $120), so Spitfires are still pretty much medium / regular price, definitely not the highest but that is what we are used to as well, for pro quality products.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #5120 on: June 02, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I also love Elder... 

[close]

[close]

[close]

I am seeing Elder tonight, I think it’s silly that some people DON’T put F4’s on their board, and I’ve been downhill mountain biking like once.

But I think Reflections Of A Floating World is Elder’s undisputed masterpiece.

You bastard, have fun. I want to see them so badly. I love Reflections too. Every bit as good as Lore, though Lore was my first so it has a special place to me.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5121 on: June 02, 2023, 06:28:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost everything for me is ok on F4 99s, but yeah some of the slippery surface ramps / indoor parks or even new parks are way better on softer / more grippy wheels.  I have the 97s on for a little more grip on a couple of boards for one new park near me I go to, but there are definitely places I would still find them not quite so safe and I ride 90 to 92 duro wheels on the skatelite ramps at the indoor park and don't feel like I am going to be rolling the dice every run.

Others I know who have cat like reflexes and way better balance ride 99s or 101s on everything, so sure some people can still deal with it and not change them out, but for most people, either older or just not quite so light on their feet, the slip out factor is very real and altogether too many slams happen on the skatelite surfaces or slippery new parks round here that I have seen and heard.

Re cost of goods - Funny thing about places like here in Australia, everything has gone up considerably, so although Spitfires are going up (AU $80 - $90), those new OJ wheels still top out as the most expensive wheels I have ever seen by a mile (AU $120), so Spitfires are still pretty much medium / regular price, definitely not the highest but that is what we are used to as well, for pro quality products.

Man, you poor Aussies sure pay through the nose. I'm in Canada and wheels haven't really gone up since last year. Still around $58-$65 Canuck bucks for premium wheels like Bones and Spits. Except those goofy new OJ's, Yeesh.
My crystal ball prediction is that the dual duros are not exactly going to fly off the shelves at that price.

Regarding softer duros, definitely going to throw the Dragons back on for the dusty indoor this winter.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5122 on: June 03, 2023, 12:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Spit used to make those "Soft D's" which, IMHO, were great from some those extra slippery places. Wish they still made them.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5123 on: June 03, 2023, 01:49:20 PM »
i need those kader 59s so bad.

are they only in those shops on the ig or are they going out everywhere? i dont care about the cool tray really. i want it but the wheels are a necessity in my life
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #5124 on: June 03, 2023, 06:02:40 PM »
i need those kader 59s so bad.

are they only in those shops on the ig or are they going out everywhere? i dont care about the cool tray really. i want it but the wheels are a necessity in my life
I'm not sure, but 35th Ave has two sets of the 59s in stock, at the moment.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5125 on: June 03, 2023, 06:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Spit used to make those "Soft D's" which, IMHO, were great from some those extra slippery places. Wish they still made them.

That is what I use for the slippery surfaces, usually the 92 duro 56 mm size, but I have them in a few sizes in both 92 and 95 as well as some 97s in 56 and 57 mm from "back in the day" type of stock.

They definitely work well for me, but others always say my board feels so slow with them, which is true as they didn't hold speed like the harder wheels did, as well as being more prone to lumps or flatspots.

The 92 duro 59 mm wheels I put on so long ago now are still going strong and I think the bigger sizes last a lot better and keep speed more so than the smaller ones too.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5126 on: June 04, 2023, 08:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember trying a set of the 95s for some more crusty spots...and was immediately like, "Oh, hell no." So slow. Felt like trying to skate through wet sand.

[close]

[close]

That is what I use for the slippery surfaces, usually the 92 duro 56 mm size, but I have them in a few sizes in both 92 and 95 as well as some 97s in 56 and 57 mm from "back in the day" type of stock.

They definitely work well for me, but others always say my board feels so slow with them, which is true as they didn't hold speed like the harder wheels did, as well as being more prone to lumps or flatspots.

The 92 duro 59 mm wheels I put on so long ago now are still going strong and I think the bigger sizes last a lot better and keep speed more so than the smaller ones too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5127 on: June 04, 2023, 04:44:05 PM »

I remember trying a set of the 95s for some more crusty spots...and was immediately like, "Oh, hell no." So slow. Felt like trying to skate through wet sand.

I only really ride the softer wheels on slippery new parks / ramps, not rough street spots.

The bigger wheels at least gave me a bit more "go" in that regard, but yeah they were slow, which is most likely why they were discontinued.  The funny thing is the older original formula in 95 and 97 were really good and had a lot more to them without feeling like soft wheels, as per the Soft D wheels of 92 and 95 duros.  They were mostly in big wide round shapes in 56 and 57 mm size.

Even the Formula Four 97s are a little slower but I get used to it and with decent bearings, I am not fussed.  I would rather the wheels were a bit slower and I don't slip out, than as fast and hard and slipping all over the place.  The Classic 56 mm 97s feel no where near as grippy as the Conical Full 54 mm 97s so they are both good for different things.

It would be interesting to see the F4 95 duro wheels if or when they are released, but I am happy with what I have right now anyway.

The 99s are still the go for almost everything - just can't beat the feeling of them on my own ramp, concrete parks, carparks, etc.

Schinken

« Reply #5128 on: June 05, 2023, 01:29:39 AM »
I think you can't say softer wheels are slower by default. There is much more to it, like rebound and contact patch. The softer your wheel is the wider it should be. Think about those racing bicycles with their skinny wheels and high pressures. Lower pressure means more deformation and therefore more resistance.

In short Spitfire classics in  97a are slower than 97a conical full(same diameter).

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5129 on: June 05, 2023, 06:48:35 AM »
I feel like if I am not riding a F4, I should just get a OJ Super Juice, if the spot is truly that bad
ONTARIO CANADA