Author Topic: Gay skateboarders (bi,lesbian,trans)  (Read 17540 times)

steezy_scholz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
Re: Gay skateboarders (bi,lesbian,trans)
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the basis for all the BA gay rumors? is there any real evidence of this or is everybody just assuming? I only ask because it seems like the dude can't even get mentioned without somebody making a gay comment.

i talked to braydon szafranski at SXSW at a bar and i asked him if BA is gay and he said "yes"
knees weak arms spaghetti, theres spaghetti on his spaghetti already, moms spaghetti

srsbsnss

• Rep: 10
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
This is your problem right here

If skateboarding wasn't full of people like this asshole and supported primarily by the parents of hundreds of thousands of younger teenage assholes just like him then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. It is though and it's typically something adolescent males get into in a time of their life when belonging somewhere, fitting into a group and finding something to define themselves and make them feel like a man are important.

People like Torey Pudwill are the poster boys of what a skateboarder is to these kids. This is what they emulate and think is cool. Add on to that the way the culture is marketed with all the tough guy acts, sex (with girls), drugs, and rock n' roll they use to advertise the lifestyle and it's no surprise that skateboarding tends to attract a large amount of little homophobic shithead stoner kids.  The youth market would never buy anything with a faggots name on it because that shit's gay (homosexual)...which is pretty gay(shitty/lame).

That's just the way it is though and they'll continue to sell 100,000 plan b/element decks for every one of these

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
... and the mere style of skateboarding/skaters does not seem attractive to most gay people, in my opinion...? 
[close]
skateboarding is one of the gayest things to do: we talk about clothes and shoes all the time, we get sweaty with a couple of guys, we love watching other guys who can move their body in a beautiful way and we hate when chicks are around. it's like a gay orgy.
[close]

Hahaha!  I was wondering when someone would say something along these lines.  I mean this  forum/all skate forums are gay leaning to say the least, but  just like skateboarding does not attract many women it slacks in the gay department as well, I mean if skateboarding was only forums and fashion then I could see more of both groups but obviously there is more to skateboarding than that.  Want to prove me wrong?  Name the homosexual men in skateboarding, there really are not that many. I have always been made fun of by all of my friends for never knowing what gear the pros are rocking, guess I am trick obsessed and oblivious because I cant tell you anything that any of my favorite pros ever wear: on the other hand I can name almost any trick and the year they were done though!  So in a sense I was made fun of for not being gay enough!

On a personal note, really doesn't matter which way you swing in my book so long as you keep your bat to yourself!  In all honesty though, I still think if a big named pro came out as gay his career would be ruined. 

Seriously? I would buy the most fruity board I could find if someone came out because: A) It's a cause to support B) Chicks dig you if you're pro gays and have got those gay friends (who also know the greatest parties you could ever attend... so I just want to be the gay community's best pal, and I really don't think I'm alone with this view!)

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
... and the mere style of skateboarding/skaters does not seem attractive to most gay people, in my opinion...? 
[close]
skateboarding is one of the gayest things to do: we talk about clothes and shoes all the time, we get sweaty with a couple of guys, we love watching other guys who can move their body in a beautiful way and we hate when chicks are around. it's like a gay orgy.
[close]

Hahaha!  I was wondering when someone would say something along these lines.  I mean this  forum/all skate forums are gay leaning to say the least, but  just like skateboarding does not attract many women it slacks in the gay department as well, I mean if skateboarding was only forums and fashion then I could see more of both groups but obviously there is more to skateboarding than that.  Want to prove me wrong?  Name the homosexual men in skateboarding, there really are not that many. I have always been made fun of by all of my friends for never knowing what gear the pros are rocking, guess I am trick obsessed and oblivious because I cant tell you anything that any of my favorite pros ever wear: on the other hand I can name almost any trick and the year they were done though!  So in a sense I was made fun of for not being gay enough!

On a personal note, really doesn't matter which way you swing in my book so long as you keep your bat to yourself!  In all honesty though, I still think if a big named pro came out as gay his career would be ruined. 
[close]

Seriously? I would buy the most fruity board I could find if someone came out because: A) It's a cause to support B) Chicks dig you if you're pro gays and have got those gay friends (who also know the greatest parties you could ever attend... so I just want to be the gay community's best pal, and I really don't think I'm alone with this view!)

Probably if a pro came out of the closet when they were starting to retire, it would reassure the support of their sponsors. F.ex. if BA came out, Nike would never kick him out unwillingly, for being scared of being portrayed as an anti-gay company. Supporting gay rights is the biggest trend right now and I'm surprised that no companies are trying to get on that yet. For an upcoming pro though it could be a lot more challenging, but once you've secure your spot in the industry and people really know you, it could be a huge benefit.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably if a pro came out of the closet when they were starting to retire, it would reassure the support of their sponsors. F.ex. if BA came out, Nike would never kick him out unwillingly, for being scared of being portrayed as an anti-gay company. Supporting gay rights is the biggest trend right now and I'm surprised that no companies are trying to get on that yet. For an upcoming pro though it could be a lot more challenging, but once you've secure your spot in the industry and people really know you, it could be a huge benefit.

great trend then!

I can seriously not comprehend that you would think it would hurt a pro's career by getting out of the closet (that's just too far from my worldview!). Don't you think that all the pros (maybe with the exception of a few - D-Way) would come out and support the said pro? I for one could easily buy somebody's board if the only reason for it was that they came out - just to support the idea that it shouldn't be an issue to come out.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

great trend then!

I can seriously not comprehend that you would think it would hurt a pro's career by getting out of the closet (that's just too far from my worldview!). Don't you think that all the pros (maybe with the exception of a few - D-Way) would come out and support the said pro? I for one could easily buy somebody's board if the only reason for it was that they came out - just to support the idea that it shouldn't be an issue to come out.

I said it could be a huge benefit for a pro to come out of the closet especially if he was liked by the majority of people before like BA or Prod. But marketing an unknown gay pro to the mainstream kids could be challenging since most of them aren't into politics or human rights or any serious subjects whatsoever. Doesn't really matter how much you or me or the whole industry supports him.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

great trend then!

[close]

I said it could be a huge benefit for a pro to come out of the closet especially if he was liked by the majority of people before like BA or Prod. But marketing an unknown gay pro to the mainstream kids could be challenging since most of them aren't into politics or human rights or any serious subjects whatsoever. Doesn't really matter how much you or me or the whole industry supports him.

Why the fuck would it hurt him? maybe if he tried to get into the conservative christian side of skating - but do you seriously believe that the "normal" skaters would choose not to buy his board if he was gay?

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

great trend then!

[close]

[close]

Why the fuck would it hurt him? maybe if he tried to get into the conservative christian side of skating - but do you seriously believe that the "normal" skaters would choose not to buy his board if he was gay?

Probably the average teenager would be too afraid of getting bullied for it to buy their product, unless it became a huge trend. Kind of a hit and miss type of thing.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 841
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »

my homie stevie is gay, and he rips

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

great trend then!

[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably the average teenager would be too afraid of getting bullied for it to buy their product, unless it became a huge trend. Kind of a hit and miss type of thing.

I disagree. And if You're right it would make it that much more important to support said gay if he came out (or GAY, he seems nice).

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
BA coming out as gay really isn't coming out at all especially if you don't live under a rock.  As for anyone else, maybe they would get a little love from some of the more progressive types in the industry, i.e. Ed Templeton, but I doubt that there career would be helped in any way.  Skateboarding, for better or worse, is still too homophobic/anti-gay to ever really support an outed pro.  Just my opinion though, would love to see what would happen if a big name like P.j. ladd or MikeMo or Marc Suciu came out as gay!  I doubt it would fly.  You can always prove me wrong by buying a felipe ortiz board though!!!!

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »
one of my childhood friends who happens to be a homosexual like brian anderson was/is one of the most naturally talented people I've ever witnessed. Last time I saw him at the park (after MIA for almost a year) he was cruising around in torn era's, borrowed a pair of shoes and happened to grace the camera. I feel more awkward after a week off the board and I doubt he had been skating much if at all.

Jump to 1:31 if you want to jump straight to a gay.
ieatemochilds

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
Just like the general population, some skaters are homophobic and some aren't. Just because we skate doesn't make us special or different from the rest of society. We are just regular as everyone else waiting in line at starbucks.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

I think it depends entirely on who that pro appeals to. If BA came out, it'd probably be good for him. Very few people that are into his skating would view that negatively, and most would probably view it positively. On the other hand, if Nyjah came out, or Sheckler, or some other pro who mostly appeals to the kids, his career would probably be affected negatively. Teenage boys are insecure assholes, esp many suburban kids who get into skating, so a pro that appeals to that group wouldn't do so hot.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2013, 04:14:50 AM »
Idk man are we over estimating peoples homophobia these days? especially modern teenagers? One of my good friends her younger brother is gay, like really really gay, he looks like a younger prettier version of her. He added me on facebook one day and i looked at the mutual friends on his page and their was a lot of the skaters from here that are between 16-20 years old, when i was in high school i don't think we would've been that accepting. I think for younger kids these days homosexuallity isn't that big of a deal, one of the best dudes in this city is super homophobic and he actually gets fucked with more for that than you would think.  I mean lets just be real here everyone thats met BA knows whats up, when he had that Nike Blazer colorway drop he did a party for it here at the local shop, every kid in here knows the rumors and there was no effort to hide anything and tons of kids came out to hang out and support. I really dont think people care as much as the older generation thinks.

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
Idk man are we over estimating peoples homophobia these days? especially modern teenagers? One of my good friends her younger brother is gay, like really really gay, he looks like a younger prettier version of her. He added me on facebook one day and i looked at the mutual friends on his page and their was a lot of the skaters from here that are between 16-20 years old, when i was in high school i don't think we would've been that accepting. I think for younger kids these days homosexuallity isn't that big of a deal, one of the best dudes in this city is super homophobic and he actually gets fucked with more for that than you would think.  I mean lets just be real here everyone thats met BA knows whats up, when he had that Nike Blazer colorway drop he did a party for it here at the local shop, every kid in here knows the rumors and there was no effort to hide anything and tons of kids came out to hang out and support. I really dont think people care as much as the older generation thinks.

Man, I hope so. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, so much. I base my assumptions off the amount of "fag" and "that's gay" I hear thrown around at spots and on videos and such...beyond that, I couldn't really hope to be an authority on the homophobia of kids half my age. But I also know that the things I hear city kids in SF say are miles away from what I hear suburban kids say, and there are a lot more kids in the suburbs.

All this is just conjecture, though...we need a pro to actually come out so we can see the reaction. BA, I'm looking at you.

Dick Rogers

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
Damn, I had no idea Pudwill was so morked-out. Kinda bummed. His skating still kills though and I'll always cherish the hand-jammy he gave me when we were younger.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »

Your gay friend has a mean bigspin kickflip
Cold Ghengis

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3374
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Your gay friend has a mean bigspin kickflip

Agreed. Stoked on this footage.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man, I hope so. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, so much. I base my assumptions off the amount of "fag" and "that's gay" I hear thrown around at spots and on videos and such...beyond that, I couldn't really hope to be an authority on the homophobia of kids half my age. But I also know that the things I hear city kids in SF say are miles away from what I hear suburban kids say, and there are a lot more kids in the suburbs.

All this is just conjecture, though...we need a pro to actually come out so we can see the reaction. BA, I'm looking at you.

Natenola - I agree!

Neko - I blame Tyler The Creator for that!

gatchaman

• Rep: -3
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the basis for all the BA gay rumors? is there any real evidence of this or is everybody just assuming? I only ask because it seems like the dude can't even get mentioned without somebody making a gay comment.
[close]

Well 1st: I know an ex-crailtap pro who confirmed it.
2nd: A good friend who used to live in SF told me he saw him holding hands with his bf.

[close]

How could this NOT be true then?!

Fact is, even as I had my tongue down his throat with my cock buried up his ass I wasn't sure if he was gay...there seemed to be some resistance to my lovin' advances. Turns out it was his second sphincter.

Next time buy a little extra lube then! Prob solved! And I guess your right, fact #2 was a little unnecessary considering fact #1

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »
It bums me out that professional sports has an openly gay player before skateboarding because ultimately it says something is really wrong with the skateboarding industry if a tenured dude with a SOTY at the tail end of his career with nothing to lose in terms of cash or numbers cant say that hes gay out loud. Organized sports is more progressive about LGBT shit than skateboarding is? Pretty fucking lame.

But i could totally be wrong. Brett easton ellis wrote this article about how the media puts gay people on a pedestal and treats them like 5 year olds that just drew their first picture and not like people just trying to live their lives. He goes on to talk about how GLAAD has some agenda or whatever but the larger point about how we treat members of the LGBT community less like people and more like kids remains.

www.out.com/news-opinion/2013/05/13/bret-easton-ellis-gay-men-magical-elves

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:42:30 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2013, 11:08:27 PM »
It bums me out that professional sports has an openly gay player before skateboarding because ultimately it says something is really wrong with the skateboarding industry if a tenured dude with a SOTY at the tail end of his career with nothing to lose in terms of cash or numbers cant say that hes gay out loud. Organized sports is more progressive about LGBT shit than skateboarding is? Pretty fucking lame.

But i could totally be wrong. Brett easton ellis wrote this article about how the media puts gay people on a pedestal and treats them like 5 year olds that just drew their first picture and not like people just trying to live their lives. He goes on to talk about how GLAAD has some agenda or whatever but the larger point about how we treat members of the LGBT community less like people and more like kids remains.

This is probably the real reason BA doesn't come out publicly. I think Ed mentioned it in some video; to come out would make that person "the gay skater" and put them in a spotlight they might not want to be in, and I can't blame them for that. Though I do think it would go a long way towards making other gay kids that skate feel less ostracized in an activity that's supposed to be accepting of outsiders.

• Rep: 12
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »
BEING GAY IS NOT AN ISSUE AT ALL IN ANY WAY WITH ANYBODY SKATEBOARDER OR OTHERWISE

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is probably the real reason BA doesn't come out publicly. I think Ed mentioned it in some video; to come out would make that person "the gay skater" and put them in a spotlight they might not want to be in, and I can't blame them for that. Though I do think it would go a long way towards making other gay kids that skate feel less ostracized in an activity that's supposed to be accepting of outsiders.

Fuck Bret Ellis. He seriously comes off as wanting shit to be worse for gay people. He is total Debbie Downer, who sounds like he is not totally comfortable with being gay or he resents being born gay. I thought the whole "It Gets Better" campaign shit was sort of lame, but at least it got some people to come out and try to let LGBTQ youth know that being young, queer, and hated doesn't mean shit, as there is a lot more to life than high school. As much as some would hate to say it, celebrities, athletes, and other pop culture people influence the way a lot of people think. At least it was trying to change some kind of attitude instead of ignoring it. I think a lot of queer people will tell you that being young was rough, but you start to see things a lot clearer when you get out of the high school mentality.

I also understand his point, but again, he seems to ignore the bigger picture. LGBTQ people have been treated like shit for years. They will start being treated like everyone else once the media/society figures out where the boundaries are. And what were they supposed to do? Find some way to attack him? Coming out can be a pretty big media stunt nowadays, and I prefer people come out like Jodie Foster did than on the cover of Star magazine. But I rather there be a discussion in popular culture than pretend it isn't an issue. It must be hard as fucking to come out in a sport dominated by jock mentalities.

Also, as for the BA thing and being labeled the "gay skater". I understand that, but the reality is someone is going to have to be "the gay skater" at some point. The label is only going to stick until others start coming forward, and then it isn't going to be a big deal at all. Skateboarding might be accepting of all types of people, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to come out and be open about their gay personal life, at least not current pro/am. We hear plenty about hooking up with chicks or having girlfriends, but there's no discussion about dudes anywhere. I just wish someone would do it and fucking get it over with.

I am a gay, by the way!
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2013, 06:45:43 AM »
Beside BA, what other pro or am do you think is gay?  Seems like most the big names are married to women:  Koston, Cole, Prod, etc.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
Pretty sure BA smokes weed though ???
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
Also, as for the BA thing and being labeled the "gay skater". I understand that, but the reality is someone is going to have to be "the gay skater" at some point. The label is only going to stick until others start coming forward, and then it isn't going to be a big deal at all. Skateboarding might be accepting of all types of people, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to come out and be open about their gay personal life, at least not current pro/am. We hear plenty about hooking up with chicks or having girlfriends, but there's no discussion about dudes anywhere. I just wish someone would do it and fucking get it over with.

Yeah, agreed. I just see why someone wouldn't want to take on that role...but I still wish they would.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
what natenola said.

but also, I think skating has traditionally been more asexual than anything else, with as much or more discomfort around the idea of female sexuality as male. Typical skaters don't have healthy sexual lives, most of us just need to look in the mirror to confirm that. Maybe it has something to do with spending time and energy on a solitary pursuit that is a combination of meaninglessness and negative antisocial connotations to 90-some percent of people over the age of consent. Anyway, I am queer so what do I know.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:05 AM »
what natenola said.

but also, I think skating has traditionally been more asexual than anything else, with as much or more discomfort around the idea of female sexuality as male. Typical skaters don't have healthy sexual lives, most of us just need to look in the mirror to confirm that. Maybe it has something to do with spending time and energy on a solitary pursuit that is a combination of meaninglessness and negative antisocial connotations to 90-some percent of people over the age of consent. Anyway, I am queer so what do I know.

How is masturbation anti-social?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE