Poll

why have some companies never had any pro black skaters?

why are there so few black pros
14 (56%)
is the industry racist
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Companies who have never had a black pro  (Read 21904 times)

Aatila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -304
Re: Companies who have never had a black pro
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Element = Kenny Hughes. Back when.
[close]

Element = Stevie Williams. Backer when.

Element = TK

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
Loads of regular shit is being typed in this thread, god damn wtf

dillanharp

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Element = Harold Hunter. Backer than that.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
the og skategro jeron is part owner of diamond

rodnegro tx is the onliest negro on lrg since organikarl left

that team is on some bullshit

what FUCK is tommy sandoval and bill marks dirty crakkka asses doing on that team

pure FUCKERY

I swear I read an interview with him where he says his dad is black.... so he is only half cracker!

StimCoCruzer

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
skateboarding was invented by white men, get over it. maybe try basketball and not whining about the skate industry. i for one am sick of substandard skaters getting sponsored just BECAUSE they're black, and the company wants that marketing demographic.

i would hate to see racist affirmative action start invading the skate industry.

malcyvelli

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can I throw in the asian card? What about asian skaters in companies? I think they are more the minority then black skaters.
[close]
Gideon Choi.  Thread Ended.
[close]

Sean Malto, William Phan, Jimmy Cao, John Igei, Jerry Hsu, Gideon Choi, Spencer Fujimoto, Chad Tim Tim, Satv Lueng, Kien Leu, Bill Pepper, Toan Nguyen, Nuge, Kenny Anderson, Pat Channita

Don't throw in minorities just for the hell of it, this thread actually has a purpose

And you might as well rule out African Americans and just make it about pure blooded Africans. Anyone born and raised in the US more than likely isn't full blooded, that's hella rare
[close]
I like that you guys have completely forgotten Eric Koston.

Fuck Eric Koston

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can I throw in the asian card? What about asian skaters in companies? I think they are more the minority then black skaters.
[close]
Gideon Choi.  Thread Ended.
[close]

Sean Malto, William Phan, Jimmy Cao, John Igei, Jerry Hsu, Gideon Choi, Spencer Fujimoto, Chad Tim Tim, Satv Lueng, Kien Leu, Bill Pepper, Toan Nguyen, Nuge, Kenny Anderson, Pat Channita

Don't throw in minorities just for the hell of it, this thread actually has a purpose

And you might as well rule out African Americans and just make it about pure blooded Africans. Anyone born and raised in the US more than likely isn't full blooded, that's hella rare
[close]
I like that you guys have completely forgotten Eric Koston.

[close]

Fuck Eric Koston

What tha fuck-a you!

ICUSUCKA

• Rep: -11
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
skateboarding was invented by white men, get over it. maybe try basketball and not whining about the skate industry. i for one am sick of substandard skaters getting sponsored just BECAUSE they're black, and the company wants that marketing demographic.

i would hate to see racist affirmative action start invading the skate industry.

Great response, except you didn't back it up with an examples; who are these substandard skaters getting sponsored because they are black which you speak of? What companies are you referring to that are trying to market this demographic?

I don't see any type of affirmative action invading our skate industry anytime soon. We hardly let girls and minorities in now, and most of the owners have your Rush Limbaugh type mentality, so its going to be safe for you guys don't worry Americas safety is not in jeopardy.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
Stop whining.

Skateboarding, like pretty much everything else, has never been more ethnically diverse than it is right now.

If you're waiting for your pro show courtesy of affirmative action, you might be waiting a while.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

ICUSUCKA

• Rep: -11
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »
I really didn't know there were so many Sara Palin fans on the Slap Forum. Its interesting how the term "whining" comes up when I keep discussing facts. Yet, when most people rebuttal they can't bring any facts to the topic that I am discussing. No, no lets just use some covert racist talk instead, and say its all good. That is the same ignorant thought process that has ruined this country and societies.  Make a snide comment with no depth behind it.

Go to any skatepark, at its peak time and you will see a landscape of every race and gender there. Its a beautiful thing seeing everyone having a good time and having fun. Seeing the creativity, bond, memories, and friendships is really what its all about. I am not talking about whats right or wrong for one race I am talking about what is right for everyone. Certain people want control through greed by any means necessary, so they use sex, race, religion or whatever else to separate us from the real topic.

Skating is more diverse now than it ever has been just like everything else, but that doesn't mean its fair and the opportunities are there. Just because you have one black or brown guy and 7-8 white guys that makes it fair? Go to any company website for boards, shoes, or clothes take a look at the team page. Then do a little math and look at the numbers, and you will see what I am talking about for most of these companies. How do the percentages look, because numbers don't lie unlike people.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:46 AM »
I really didn't know there were so many Sara Palin fans on the Slap Forum. Its interesting how the term "whining" comes up when I keep discussing facts. Yet, when most people rebuttal they can't bring any facts to the topic that I am discussing. No, no lets just use some covert racist talk instead, and say its all good. That is the same ignorant thought process that has ruined this country and societies.  Make a snide comment with no depth behind it.

Go to any skatepark, at its peak time and you will see a landscape of every race and gender there. Its a beautiful thing seeing everyone having a good time and having fun. Seeing the creativity, bond, memories, and friendships is really what its all about. I am not talking about whats right or wrong for one race I am talking about what is right for everyone. Certain people want control through greed by any means necessary, so they use sex, race, religion or whatever else to separate us from the real topic.

Skating is more diverse now than it ever has been just like everything else, but that doesn't mean its fair and the opportunities are there. Just because you have one black or brown guy and 7-8 white guys that makes it fair? Go to any company website for boards, shoes, or clothes take a look at the team page. Then do a little math and look at the numbers, and you will see what I am talking about for most of these companies. How do the percentages look, because numbers don't lie unlike people.
At first I thought you were straight trolling but it seems you're not and truly think you have a valid point. Here's the thing though, you talk about "facts" and others lack thereof when arguing the topic but I haven't read any facts or hard evidence from you. You ask people to "do a little math". How about you do the math to back it up.

How about taking the top 50 board companies at the moment and working out the ratio of minorities they have turned pro, then compare that to each minorities representation in population to the city each company has its HQ, then try to deduce the percentage of participation in skateboarding of each minority in that city. From there break that down into age groups. Most guys go pro after or around the age that the rest of us have to make decisions about employment and career moves and a lot of them leave skateboarding or reduce their participation around that time regardless of race, nationality or ethnicity. You'll find that ethnicity divided by population divided by participation divided by age groups will give you a fairly accurate representation of diversity in professional skateboarding.

I'm not believing your views are accurate or that diverse ethnicity isn't marketable and that company owners would pass up on any skater due to colour. Either give us the math or specific examples of guys that got passed over because of their race or quit bitching.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:54:23 AM by SodaJerk »

93tilinfinity

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »
If I could piss on this thread I would.

joebudden

• Rep: -51
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2013, 03:57:45 AM »

joebudden

« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2013, 04:00:38 AM »
the amount of black pros is representative of the population and there is no such thing as 50 TOP companies in skateboarding

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »
the amount of black pros is representative of the population and there is no such thing as 50 TOP companies in skateboarding
Ok how about we say the 20/30/40/50/100 brands with the greatest market saturation.

joebudden

« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2013, 04:23:22 AM »
lets not

MFLUDER

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2013, 04:29:03 AM »
There's an influx of hispanic pros popping up... unfortunately for the blacks the baggy pants small wheel phase is over, and that hurts the community on the whole

joebudden

« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »
RODNEGRO TX is the best black pro to ever do it fooywise

filmed in 2 fucking years

after the knee surgery

1 year later

the year after that

2 yrs and another knee surgery later

greatest skategro of all time

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »
One of the best ever.

Funny. I never considered the colour of his skin before now.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

StimCoCruzer

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great response, except you didn't back it up with an examples; who are these substandard skaters getting sponsored because they are black which you speak of? What companies are you referring to that are trying to market this demographic?

I don't see any type of affirmative action invading our skate industry anytime soon. We hardly let girls and minorities in now, and most of the owners have your Rush Limbaugh type mentality, so its going to be safe for you guys don't worry Americas safety is not in jeopardy.

awwww, look how he tries to speak English like a real person.

malcyvelli

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

after the knee surgery

1 year later

the year after that

LMAO he's fucking Brazilian man, with the level of ignorance in this post you have to be trolling

StimCoCruzer

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2013, 07:39:29 AM »

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
guy who started this; you are a ratard

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »
Expand Quote

after the knee surgery

1 year later

the year after that

[close]

LMAO he's fucking Brazilian man, with the level of ignorance in this post you have to be trolling

I'm pretty sure he's half black. you can be from Brazil and be of a different ethnicity than just "brazilian" you fucking idiot

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2013, 08:54:26 AM »
The number of times the difference between ethnicity and nationality have had to be explained in this forum is disheartening.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

malcyvelli

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2013, 09:00:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

after the knee surgery

1 year later

the year after that

[close]

[close]

I'm pretty sure he's half black. you can be from Brazil and be of a different ethnicity than just "brazilian" you fucking idiot

Yea, you're right, I just wouldn't place him in like the category of being black because he was born and raised in Brazil, I don't really define being black solely by skin color whereas with culture, just cause you're dark doesn't mean that you're black necessarily which kinda poses the question of is being defined "black" more of a culture or an actual race?

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

after the knee surgery

1 year later

the year after that

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea, you're right, I just wouldn't place him in like the category of being black because he was born and raised in Brazil, I don't really define being black solely by skin color whereas with culture, just cause you're dark doesn't mean that you're black necessarily which kinda poses the question of is being defined "black" more of a culture or an actual race?

But I'm not talking about his "black" skin, I mean black as in African, which is his ethnicity. You could be born on Mars, but as long as your parents' ethnicity is African, or "black" as it's also referred to, then you're black.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
This whole topic has to be some troll stuff

To decide if there really was racisms against "black" people in skateboarding you would have to do a study of how many are qualified to become Pros . And since companies can turn anyone pro for pretty much anything from markability to best friends forever pro  . How do you check the stats ?

Its also weird to claim a company is racist when they have latinos , caucasian , asian , african and all other types of races and mixed races on their flow , am  and pro teams . Why would a company have a black skater on flow or am and then prevent that person from becoming pro ?

Bringing up Slave and Zero is also confusing since Mystery has a black Pro . Why would a company ban black people on 2 branches of the company but allow it on the third when there is interaction betwen the companies ?

Dark skinned people from brazil are decendents of african slaves brought to brazil , original population was indians . Excluding Rodrigo TX from being "black " is weird

If you are going to claim somebody is a racist or a company is racist you should have more to back it up then " where is your black pro ?"
You would have to check all the company workers , managers , warehouse workers , webdesigners , woodshop workers , flow team , AMs and Pros

A company with all types of races in the warehouse , 20 black kids in europe and america on the flow team and 1 black AM shouldnt be considerd racist because they never had a black Pro

malcyvelli

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

after the knee surgery

1 year later

the year after that

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But I'm not talking about his "black" skin, I mean black as in African, which is his ethnicity. You could be born on Mars, but as long as your parents' ethnicity is African, or "black" as it's also referred to, then you're black.

Okay, I feel you, then that blows this whole thread topic wide open even more, you can put in a shit ton of Brazilians and other nationalities into the equation, Felipe Gustavo, Alex Carolino, Benny Fairfax, David Gonzalez, etc.

Do you know if Rodrigo have African heritage though? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm just curious if you know for a fact

GarbageMan

• Rep: -6
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
companies arent going to turn some dude pro just because they're good and or because of the color of their skin. they do so because the skater fits in with the rest of the team or some image the team is making and obviously because they're killing it meanwhile. Shurikan Shannon is a good example being he was on Black Label. those dudes always had some punk hesh vibe that no one else would want to be a part of. obviously shurikan, being on pig prior, was into such vibes and got on label. There are tons of black skateboarders that rip, I live in the suburbs of chicago area, I've seen em and I'm sure there are more scattered across the states ready to turn pro for companies if they get along with the other riders. If there was a black dude who looked like dylan Reider and let ed Templeton draw him naked I'm sure he'd be on Toy in a heartbeat. Its not racist to not like someones attitude... i.e. Darrell Stanton...