Author Topic: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme  (Read 239680 times)

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: "Cherry" a video by William Strobeck for Supreme
« Reply #1020 on: March 21, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
this video was surprisingly sick!....

until about the ten minute mark, when it turned into the exact video i expected it to.  bad hip hop, odd future mugging for the camera, non-skating excess.  no surprises there.

Guy had sick shit.  Dylan/Alex part.  Chloe Sevigny killing it.  

i was digging the "my early 90's high school stoner mix tape" vibe of the soundtrack too (again, up until 10 minute mark)

overall it was exactly what i was expecting.

shone237

« Reply #1021 on: March 21, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »
over a minute of gonz playing with a lighter is how this video starts. I had to fast forward to make sure this was really the supreme video and not some joke video.

lots of repeat tricks. (I HATE WHEN SKATE VIDEOS DO THIS! It seems like every skater does a back side 360 ollie, a no comply or an impossible before or after every trick.)

once the older guys start showing up in the video more, the kids section becomes completely useless and felt forced.

it's exactly as try hard as you'd expect a supreme video to be.

Overall I liked it, but would love to see a cut down version without the kids or the filler crap. There is about 7 minutes of this 35 minutes worth watching.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:54:42 AM by shone237 »

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1022 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
the Reese Forbes line,
Paulo Diaz Footage
Dill
Gonz ollieovertopivot?
nice video

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1023 on: March 21, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
I feel like it was always clear that the intention of this video was to document a certain time in a certain scene that loosely revolves around the shop that produced it, like the FTC video and other videos of the ilk that surely necessitates put a few less good people in a montage here and there?

I don't know why people are getting pissed off like they were promised the new Questionable or Animal Chin.

GHOSTFACE420

• Rep: -7
  • lean
    • Legoman's Weed Smokin' Paradise avatar image
« Reply #1024 on: March 21, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Nakel>Tyshawn>Sean Pablo>Aidan Mackey>Kevin Bradley>Sage Elsesser
[close]
Nah, nah. Put Sage in Pablo's space and you've got it about right. Dude had some really frail stuff in there on par with Pops. Kadow showed him up and he's not even sponsored by Supreme or FA
kadow rips
i never pour up nothing less than a 4

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #1025 on: March 21, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1026 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nakel>Tyshawn>Sean Pablo>Aidan Mackey>Kevin Bradley>Sage Elsesser
[close]

I have a very hard time believing sean Pablo had better footy than kevin Bradley.

Also can someone tell me what Pops' tricks were that made him look so mediocre? Could they really have been that bad?
[close]

Closest thing he did to an ollie was dropping of a ledge to a controversial 5050. One of my favorite styles in skating but damn, I was disappointed.
[close]

fuck, i think i saw tyler the creator ollie over a picnic table, and that alone was better than all of pops footage.

i love his mosiac part, but why the hell do people still care about this dude? i watch his footage and i feel like im better than him, and im terrible!
Yeah who would have thought that Tyler the creator would have had better footage than Pops? If that was his big comeback we've been seeing on social media... and I surprised that you guys weren't hyped on Sage's footage. I thought it was fuckin good.
Nakel>Tyshawn>Sage>Aidan>Kevin Bradley>Sean

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #1027 on: March 21, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Could someone be kind enough to pm me a link? Need see this shit 8)
[close]

are you that fucking lazy!?

yea

Laban Fetus

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #1029 on: March 21, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
I don't know why people are getting pissed off like they were promised the new Questionable or Animal Chin.

That's what I was thinking. It's a shop video/supreme commercial, guys, calm down.

Overall I really liked it. Need to rewatch it a few times though, for everything to sink in.

Dylan fucking killed it. Guy and Koston footage was a pleasant surprise.

Those FA kids pretty much killed it too, but I'm having a hard time telling them apart. I know the dude with the afro is Nakel and the sort of poster boy is Tyshawn. I thought the ginger kid was Kevin, but from what I can tell (google) he is Aiden, so who the fuck is Kevin?

whatever though.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #1030 on: March 21, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's what I was thinking. It's a shop video/supreme commercial, guys, calm down.

Overall I really liked it. Need to rewatch it a few times though, for everything to sink in.

Those FA kids pretty much killed it too, but I'm having a hard time telling them apart. I know the dude with the afro is Nakel and the sort of poster boy is Tyshawn. I thought the ginger kid was Kevin, but from what I can tell (google) he is Aiden, so who the fuck is Kevin?

whatever though.

so you googled aiden mackey, but couldn't google kevin bradley?

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #1031 on: March 21, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

whatever though.

[close]

Ok, just did that, and now I'm even more confused. I thought that was Tyshawn. Well, now I'm over it, they're just "those FA kids".

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #1032 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

whatever though.

[close]

[close]

Ok, just did that, and now I'm even more confused. I thought that was Tyshawn. Well, now I'm over it, they're just "those FA kids".

tyshawn is the smaller one. kevin is skating a cliche board a lot of the time. it is hard to tell them apart though.

the biggest criticism i have with the video is the large amount of long lens feet fliming. it really made it hard to tell who was who.

Sheffledge

• Rep: -109
« Reply #1033 on: March 21, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
thank GOD for this vidyo gem

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2534
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1034 on: March 21, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From what I gather, the hype was that it would be a game changer, and now that it turned out it's not, people are mad because they believed the hype.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #1035 on: March 21, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Rad video.
Shit feels like mid 90's again.
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1036 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
PM me por favooooooor

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #1037 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »
^^^ Indeed.  Paulo Diaz made me so happy.  Especially nollie over a vagrant, that might be NBD.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

BraveUlysses

« Reply #1038 on: March 21, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
I thought Pops was gonna have decent footy based on IG photos. I even remember someone on here saying they saw him filming a line. How can someone get so much worse at skating at a relatively young age?

Sheffledge

• Rep: -109
« Reply #1039 on: March 21, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
pm me tho

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #1040 on: March 21, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »
so basically if theres a black kid skating in a supreme video he's automatically from odd future... Okay bro your super funny.  I don't even want to bother quoting you.  Besides they're kids having fun it aint no different from other pros when they were kids goofing off.  The video is good i enjoyed it and those kids are going to get really good

Laban Fetus

« Reply #1041 on: March 21, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
I thought Pops was gonna have decent footy based on IG photos. I even remember someone on here saying they saw him filming a line. How can someone get so much worse at skating at a relatively young age?
You know when Gonz is going harder than you at 45 that you need to step it up. It's not surprising that the most influential skater of all time can still throw down though. Did anyone see that backtail on a ledge he does towards the end super nonchalantly?

stayfalse

« Reply #1042 on: March 21, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
i just wanted to see pops on camera so i was mildly satisfied by that, but still not really. sean pablo seems like he has okay style but that line at the la brick banks he really did look scared. all the rest of the fa kids are seriously sick. fs 360 and nollie hard flip into courthouse were fucking sick. everything else was really rad but i wish ben kadow had more footage, that dude seriously rips. kinda surprising he didnt have more, but whatever. im satisfied, ill totally get a ton of rewatch value outta this vid.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1043 on: March 21, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
Shit feels like mid 90's again.

How so?  And be specific.  What years exactly?  

hardly art, hardly starving

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 128
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #1045 on: March 21, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dylans definitely the MVP of the video. too many good tricks to name and none of it was cliched or anything. dude just redrum'd some spots. the only other guy to do anything up that gap is westgate. you know you're in good company if you can say that.

pappalardo seemed like an asshole with the way he was talking to that crack addict.

guy mariano and omar salazar surprise. that was pretty cool.

i think paulo diaz surprisingly had some of the best "new" tricks in there. felt like a really cool throwback without feeling forced. so many kids are going to be half flipping their boards now. also that no grab airwalk was siiiick. that was a smart addition on strobecks part.

alex's metal wallride couldve been really sick but strobeck keeps moving around. its a setpiece spot, keep the fucking camera in one place so its easier to enjoy the trick. wtf was that? the trick on the ping pong table also seemed really sick but its too bad i cant really see it. and then the massive barrier ollie. is he shaking the camera around on purpose? i dont get it. hes a good filmer. i dont know why i have such high expectations of alex everytime hes in a video, he has like 15 tricks total, and it leads to massive disappointment everytime i see him skate on film. everything was sick but i thought he was going to have a ton of shit like dylan did.

if antuwan was in this you guys would all be crying about how supreme was exploiting him for the money, but since its young black kids you guys are cool? i dont get how that works.

tyshawn is fucking great, lots of good tricks, dude really went for it. it sucks he didnt have a real part though. the lifestyle stuff reminds me of knox gadoy, dudes definitely going to be huge. hes got the skating and the personality.

honestly aside from tyshawn the rest of them are pretty underwhelming. for how hyped they are, i was expecting some mindblowing shit.

but whoever did the lipslide with the two benches on each side, that was sick.

also sean pablo looks like he's forcing his style hard.

dill and ave were sick, nothing too crazy but it was solid stuff, i guess theyre saving the heavy stuff for the vans video?

music was good. janes addiction and INXS were a nice touch. the video seemed like chickenbonenowison but in HD and with way more pretense. beagle and reynolds should get a shout out or something.

the video was good but not really what i was expecting at all. didn't like how it was in montages. makes it hard to rewatch this video in pieces but i suppose that might be what he wanted?

i get where the hype is coming from but with the amount of sameness in this video im surprised you guys are so hyped on it.
[close]

Almost every Nakel Smith trick was a banger (especially Gap back feeble at the Williamsburg Monument) if anything he might be the most developed out of that whole young crew (he looks the oldest though) i had a feeling people were gonna overlook his footy, and i dunno if you realize how big that kickflip Kevin Bradley did towards the end was...surprised no one back tailed the Amsterdam rail in Harlem before this video....Furthermore i disagree i think Tyshawn was the video MVP besides the tricks he just seemed like the face for the vid, Dylan's stuff was amazing though.
[close]

Nakel was good but in a not as holy shit kind of way. you're acting like this is the first time you saw someone skate some rails. Jake Ruiz makes me go holy shit , this not so much. Im not even saying hes a bad skater, hes good, it just didn't match the hype for me. Also I'm not fully aware of how big that spot kev kickflipped but that goes back to strobecks kindof shitty filming. I can tell its big but I'm getting zero sense of the spot with the way strobeck moves the camera. I shouldn't be noticing this stuff.

Also its pretty inconsistent the way this message board was pissed off at baker for all the antuwan lifestyle shots but you guys are cheering tyshawn on for all his random shit. He was definitely the focus of the video but as far as skating is concerned Dylan just killed it way harder.

Also didn't palace use that gang gang dance song ? Bill is such a whiner when other people reuse songs but then here he is doing it in his own video. Not a good look.

Nakel is only the third person to get a trick on that specific gap to rail the other 2 are Westgate (gap lip) and Brian Delatorre (gap crooked grind?) and that spots been around forever, maybe its a "you gotta see how big it is in person to realize" thing, that east coasters sometimes complain about. I dont know what kinda hype they built for him or the video other than the 1 min promo and an interview or two not sure what you expected from that.

As for the not having a sense of size of the bradley kickflip because of your qualms with Strobeck's camera work, it was also a nike ad...

Ive never been angry at Twuan for the record and never will, The Tyshawn stuff was random albeit entertaining, i do see your point..

Lastly i never heard that thing about strobeck and abd music...but yea i immediately noticed that song was in Palace's "Gangbanging at Ground Zero" also Dylan's song INXS - Never Tear Us Apart had already been used for Lurker Lou's part in Iron Claw "Faux One One" both were really recent and popular so i highly doubt he wasnt aware..but it doesnt say he was in charge of the Music Supervision in the credits, also its interesting that they had to have gotten clearances for them too..

All and all its a really great shop video, even when you consider they do have a lot more access to things most shops don't. They used their resources well and i think mostly lived to the hype.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:56:38 PM by Tarela »

skateskateskate

« Reply #1046 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
should have been a free 10 min youtube vid

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #1047 on: March 21, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

From what I gather, the hype was that it would be a game changer, and now that it turned out it's not, people are mad because they believed the hype.

who ever said that? & if anyone did, it was random dudes assuming, it's not like Bill was like "yo this shit is gonna change skateboarding"

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #1048 on: March 21, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

whatever though.

[close]

[close]

[close]

tyshawn is the smaller one. kevin is skating a cliche board a lot of the time. it is hard to tell them apart though.

the biggest criticism i have with the video is the large amount of long lens feet fliming. it really made it hard to tell who was who.

not really, Bradley is goofy and Tyshawn is regular.

nashodil

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1049 on: March 21, 2014, 01:07:19 PM »
it feels like after the link appeared everyone was liking it for like 5 pages and than someone criticised it and now almost everyone dislikes it. welcome to slap.