Author Topic: Pressure flips- yay or nay?  (Read 7168 times)

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Pressure flips- yay or nay?
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
Some legendary pressure flips have gone down, notably PJ Ladd's in WHL.. Koston had a few good ones in BATB awhile back

I never wanted to learn this trick, it looks embarassing IMO any combination of it. I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks, you know? Buddy of mine always does them in games of SKATE, he also does sw FS bigspins without popping. These tricks shouldn't count and I won't play him anymore.

What's your stance on this highly controversial trick?

ben3350

• Rep: -156
Re: Pressure flips- yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
gay

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
You won't play him? Haaaaaaa. You hate on late shuvits too? To hard to learn? Nice post. Stop posting go learn a fun trick.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
You won't play him? Haaaaaaa. You hate on late shuvits too? To hard to learn? Nice post. Stop posting go learn a fun trick.
You wouldn't play him either, you're in for a barrage of cropdusting pressure flips and 3 shuvs. For the record I have nothing against late shuvs, they're pretty dope

4wheels

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
I do them in games of S-K-A-T-E. That's about the only time I find them to be useful. But they're fun and it's always funny to see someone's face after you do something ridiculous like a half cab pressure flip.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
Some legendary pressure flips have gone down, notably PJ Ladd's in WHL.. Koston had a few good ones in BATB awhile back

I never wanted to learn this trick, it looks embarassing IMO any combination of it. I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks, you know? Buddy of mine always does them in games of SKATE, he also does sw FS bigspins without popping. These tricks shouldn't count and I won't play him anymore.

holy shit! you can only six decks! youre seriously so good. obviously you neednt waste your time trying to learn bullshit tricks that your wack friend is doing because he cant ollie six boards. but yeah, youre right, fuck that guy, hes a poser should pull the dick out of his mouth.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »
This was like my favorite dork flip trick from '01-'06. In '05 eS was having a signing at this shop in my hometown to build hype for the never-released YeS vid.

Koston and PJ were sitting next to each other, and when I got to PJ I asked him what his opinion on pressure flips was. PJ just replied, "Do 'em if you got 'em." Koston overheard and yelled, "HAAA!" then he drew a rat-faced person on the poster of this rat-faced kid behind me. Atiba was on another planet playing PS2 and eating cheese curls in the TV store down the hall (it's at this gross indoor strip-mall), and Antwuan didn't say a word the whole time.

All time best one was of course Caswell's sarcastic one down MACBA, though. 

what are you talking about? sarcastic one? what a bunch of nonsense. caswell did it because it is sick. seriously it seems like some of you guys really dont know what you think. Is that why you guys come here? so someone can tell you what is good? if you must know, pressure flips are sick when done well. and theyre not any easier than a kickflip.

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »
no not anytime.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:13 PM »
If you can't do them and your friend can, then tough shit. Thats the game.

Personally I like pressure flips, they are fun as fuck and there are a million variations. And they can look good it just takes the right person. Was it Mike Carroll that did one over a picnic table in Fully Flared? I seem to remember that looking pretty great.

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
gay
Second this.
I have a mate who always does them in skate and we made a rule that he cant do them till he is on T. Same with other dumb tricks like shuv sex change.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:28:20 PM by cuntzilla »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Exposure

• Rep: -269
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
Expand Quote
gay
[close]
Second this.
I have a mate who always does them in skate and we made a rule that he cant do them till he is on T. Same with other dumb tricks like shuv sex change.

those are some stupid rules
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:13:26 AM »
last time they were acceptable other than dorking around was in  UNION - RIGHT TO SKATE,
although ellington's one in the deathwish vid was epic.

The Donger

• Rep: -63
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 02:04:01 AM »
I had regular pressure flips on lock but only did them once in awhile, they are fun. Got tired of them. Started trying them with more speed, moved front foot in a little, tried popping it, turned into inward heelflips.

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 06:32:04 AM »
Is there a third option? 

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
gay

Well, this explains why I ruled at them when they were hot. So yeah...I have to agree here.

Doctor Steeze

• Rep: -9
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
Show me one steezy pressure flip please, i can't find one....

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
Show me one steezy pressure flip please, i can't find one....
Like we're going to take style criticism from someone that calls themselves Doctor Steeze

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
People will be doing pressure flips again pretty soon. Itll be the new no comply.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks, you know?

0:07 & 2:13

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1xqJld4vnM
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
i wish i could do pressure flips.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
I like how they feel.

Jovantae had a good one.

Doctor Steeze

• Rep: -9
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »

Tay

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
How dare he! No, lets see if we can publicly shame him on an anonymous internet forum. I hope you feel justified with this ostracism of how your friend chooses to rotate his deck.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »

This post makes me question whether you have true pressure flips mixed up with some other weird dork trick. I say that because comparing it with what's essentially a shuvit bigspin doesn't make sense being that to do a proper pressure flip you do hit your tail on the ground to pop it up.

I happen to like pressure flips. They're fun and when done right your board should do almost the exact same flip and rotation as an inward heel. Every so often I'll get one to flip, rotate, and catch in a fluid motion with fair height (absolutely no "ground scraping") and it feels great. At some point between 1991 and 1994 I did pressure flip noseslides, pressure flip tailslides, pressure flip late backside 180, pressure flip 5-0, and even the occasional pressure flip nose manual. There was this gap in the town I lived in that was a 5 stair with about a 3' sidewalk and landing in the street. There were a few times when I landed on pressure flips over the gap but slipped out on the blacktop. My point is that you can (and should) pop a pressure flip, at least a little bit.

As far as whether they trick is 'cool' or not, that's up to the person who decides for themselves that they do or don't want to do them. Last I checked there weren't rules that regulate individual skating. You want regulations? Go play basketball or lacrosse. I very rarely play SKATE but if I do then there's no shame whipping out a pressure flip. If your tail hits and feet don't touch the ground then it's fair game. The who point of SKATE should be to be forced to try things you might not normally do, not to see who's better than who at the same old tricks.

In closing- if I'm out skating and someone is lame enough to think less of me because I do a pressure flip then that's their problem. I'll decide what's fun for myself and nothing else matters.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
I hate when people think they're doing proper inward heels but they're actually pressureflipping

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
Ellington's in the Death Wish video was some next-level shit.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
I seriously don't get the hate on them. They got played out in the early 90's but who cares anymore? There should be no illegal trick as long as you like them.

iSk84thechicas

• Rep: -47
  • Thats right - Her AND her cousin
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
Yay in games of skate...Nay in Lines or video parts

-"...Because we all know if Baker were Guns N Roses, Braydon would be Steven Adler..."

- "When I'm not getting laid , I'm hauling myself down a 5 flat 5....Time to man up son!"