Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790117 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2580 on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:01 PM »
Ok lol. They’re not the wheel I’m referring to that’s equivalent to the V4 shape.

Am I crazy or did Grosso have a classic full wheel pretty recently?

Also, somewhat related, are bigheads just a wider classic?

Diocletian

« Reply #2581 on: February 13, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »
Bigheads are the same wheel just a different graphic. Grosso ones were a classic full but limited to that set specifically. Other than that, they’re not in production.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2582 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:20 PM »
Bigheads are the same wheel just a different graphic. Grosso ones were a classic full but limited to that set specifically. Other than that, they’re not in production.

Very good to know.

weedgod94

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #2583 on: February 13, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »
Bones V4 are my favorite offering from them. They’re like the spitfire classic full that I think are still discontinued? I like a nice fat n wide round wheel.
there's like one or two classic fulls in every catalog

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #2584 on: February 13, 2020, 01:06:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok lol. They’re not the wheel I’m referring to that’s equivalent to the V4 shape.
[close]

These are the f4 classic full that was discontinued

but they did bring them back with the grosso pro model and now LM has a pool series with them.

I'm almost certain the big head is the classic formula and not f4.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2585 on: February 13, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
These are the f4 classic full that was discontinued

but they did bring them back with the grosso pro model and now LM has a pool series with them.

I'm almost certain the big head is the classic formula and not f4.

Nice, never seen a set of f4 classic fulls before.

Yeah, bigheads are regular formula I just never knew about the shape and always assumed they were wider than classics.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2586 on: February 16, 2020, 06:09:46 PM »
who makes a soft wheel that isnt super bouncy? would happily sacrifice the slide for that
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Diocletian

« Reply #2587 on: February 17, 2020, 07:54:45 AM »
Bones ninety nines STF’s work fine for indoor, just a heads up for anyone that doesn’t wanna try anything below 99a. Spitfire F4 99a’s might be just a liiiitle too slippery from what I remember.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2588 on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:34 AM »
who makes a soft wheel that isnt super bouncy? would happily sacrifice the slide for that

i think rough riders feel way better than juices
🤙

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2589 on: February 17, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote
A bit of advice...

I need a wheel for super crusty ground.

The ground at the local public park (not a skatepark) has ground that is basically gravel and another section has these big crusty redbrick banks.

I tried to skate them both on formula 4s; 56mm 99a conical fulls were best but I still need a little extra help pushing through the crust. Also, the spits are a little slippery I think mostly because the ground is so uneven that only 75-80% of the wheel surface is actually in contact with the ground at any given moment.

Keyframes?

I'd like to be able to skate other spots the same day so I don't want to go full-on cruiser wheels.

I'll still keep f4s on most of my boards because I'm not going to only skate those crusty spots all the time.
[close]

Pennswood sells "winter tires" that sound exactly like what you're looking for. I just got sent some by someone on here. Pumped to try them out.

I just picked some up. Thanks for the recommendation.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2590 on: February 17, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
Anyone skate Orbs? Curious on those. Specters to be exact.

I've heard they feel a lot softer than typical 99a.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #2591 on: February 17, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »
is Ricta Clouds 78A too soft for crusty grounds? or Bones Rough Riders does a better job?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2592 on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:14 PM »
Been thinking about trying some skinny wheels like a Bones V3. Currently riding the V1, liking them but I don't mind a switch up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2593 on: February 17, 2020, 05:24:51 PM »
is Ricta Clouds 78A too soft for crusty grounds? or Bones Rough Riders does a better job?

The clouds work fine for me for medium crusty ground. Rough riders feel better on super crusty ground but chip like crazy, so I use Oj super juice mini for super crusty ground

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2594 on: February 17, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
I keep a set of 92A clouds in my car for crappy terrain. Theyre "ok" and def feel softer than 92. Otherwise, I find the 97a 53mm mini slimeballs are a good compromise if you tend to mostly skate like rough street and park that isnt smooth. Otherwise, 99 f4 or 99 stf

Element 95a all terrain seemed ok but I just tried them for a little bit.

Diocletian

« Reply #2595 on: February 18, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
Been thinking about trying some skinny wheels like a Bones V3. Currently riding the V1, liking them but I don't mind a switch up.

Bones v3’s lighten up the load, too. Skinniest wheels I’ve ever had when I rode them many years ago. Super fast, too.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2596 on: February 18, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bones v3’s lighten up the load, too. Skinniest wheels I’ve ever had when I rode them many years ago. Super fast, too.

How do they compare to Radial Slims? Got some Radial Slims in 54mm, thinking if I should be financially responsible and just use those instead of spending more money on wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2597 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How do they compare to Radial Slims? Got some Radial Slims in 54mm, thinking if I should be financially responsible and just use those instead of spending more money on wheels.

I got you. They're thinner for sure (I only ride Radial Slims if I touch spits these days); side by side the spits are wider for sure, contact patch isn't that far off either, it's the cut of the wheel that is the major difference (and cause for overall wheel width).

V1 vs V3, they're super close in cut, V3s just come narrower in width and contact patch.

As for lightening the load, indeed they do. @52mm a V3 is 2g lighter than a 52mm spit....so you save yourself 8 grams....if you can even tell the difference...(and yes I fucking weighed them, have scale, will weigh).

54mm V3 [top] VS. 52mm Radial Slim

52mm V3 [top] VS. Radial Slim

Hate on bones all you want (remember when they were THE shit, right?), they're still excellent wheels, fast, slidy and only seem to flatspot in sandpapery crete (you know the type) happened to me once; I also prefer how hard they feel.

If spit made a thinner wheel (in a 101, not that lame ass attempt with the reynolds classic slims only coming in 99a) I'd give it ago. I just don't have the need for wide wheels and I like the extra grind room.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 06:23:13 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2598 on: February 18, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They're thinner for sure (I only ride Radial Slims if I touch spits these days); side by side the spits are wider for sure, contact patch isn't that far off either, it's the cut of the wheel that is the major difference (and cause for overall wheel width).

Hate on bones all you want, they're excellent wheels, fast, slidy and only seem to flatspot in sandpapery crete (you know the type) happened to me once; if spit made a thinner wheel (in a 101, not that lame ass attempt with the reynolds classic slims only coming in 99a) I'd give it ago. I just don't have the need for wide wheels and I like the extra grind room./

V1 vs V3, they're super close in cut, V3s just come narrower in width and contact patch.

As for lightening the load, indeed they do. @52mm a V3 is 2g lighter than a 52mm spit....so you save yourself 8 grams....if you can even tell the difference...(and yes I fucking weighed them, have scale, will weigh).

Fucking A man, thanks for the pics! I'll be a financially responsible adult and not spend the $35 on wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2599 on: February 18, 2020, 06:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They're thinner for sure (I only ride Radial Slims if I touch spits these days); side by side the spits are wider for sure, contact patch isn't that far off either, it's the cut of the wheel that is the major difference (and cause for overall wheel width).

Hate on bones all you want, they're excellent wheels, fast, slidy and only seem to flatspot in sandpapery crete (you know the type) happened to me once; if spit made a thinner wheel (in a 101, not that lame ass attempt with the reynolds classic slims only coming in 99a) I'd give it ago. I just don't have the need for wide wheels and I like the extra grind room./

[close]

Fucking A man, thanks for the pics! I'll be a financially responsible adult and not spend the $35 on wheels.

What? I can't hear you over all these wheels!!!!

Not including my cruiser wheels (and granted those easy streets and dogtowns in the box are both going on the kids' boards since 99@).

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 06:49:50 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2600 on: February 18, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »
* furiously masturbates over pieces of urethane *

How are the Easy Streets? I've only ever ridden 101 - 103a wheels, nothing softer. The Radial Slims I have are in 99a.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2601 on: February 18, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »

How are the Easy Streets? I've only ever ridden 101 - 103a wheels, nothing softer. The Radial Slims I have are in 99a.

Prefer 99a ezs over 99a spits without question, they feel more forgiving but work almost exactly like regular STFs, especially on shit terrain.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2602 on: February 18, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
I just cant handle small wheels no mo'. Had to take off my 51mm tablets and throw on my old ass 54mm conical fulls. Fucking can't stand pushing so much with so little speed.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2603 on: February 18, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
I just cant handle small wheels no mo'. Had to take off my 51mm tablets and throw on my old ass 54mm conical fulls. Fucking can't stand pushing so much with so little speed.

You talk a lot about 54mm wheels for someone with that user name of yours.

For real though, the 1 time I skated a 54mm in 99a I felt like I was riding on clouds. Didn't have to tic-tac over every drain cover and crack.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:52:36 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2604 on: February 18, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I got you. They're thinner for sure (I only ride Radial Slims if I touch spits these days); side by side the spits are wider for sure, contact patch isn't that far off either, it's the cut of the wheel that is the major difference (and cause for overall wheel width).

Hate on bones all you want (remember when they were THE shit, right?), they're still excellent wheels, fast, slidy and only seem to flatspot in sandpapery crete (you know the type) happened to me once; I also prefer how hard they feel.

If spit made a thinner wheel (in a 101, not that lame ass attempt with the reynolds classic slims only coming in 99a) I'd give it ago. I just don't have the need for wide wheels and I like the extra grind room.

Imagine a big chip on a extra skinny f4 though. I've gotten some huge frickin chips on my 99a conical fulls both sets over 54 mm and that was like first week.
I rode it out but that would be really bad news on a wheel thinner than a radial slim.

Maybe f4 can't be skinny and sharp?

No chips on any of my other sets but they was radial and classic. The metal ledges at the park don't like sharp edge f4

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2605 on: February 18, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »
I just wanted to give my 2 cents on the Bones easy street wheels after going through a set.

The wheels feel a little bit softer than formula 4 99a, closer to a set of 97a slime balls my buddy let me try out, however they still feel more chattery and plasticy then f4. Easy streets are significantly slower than an stf or forumla four and this is the biggest problem I had with them; but they're very grippy so I prefer them on transition over a f4.

The set I had powerslide on asphalt fine but are a huge pain in the ass to slide on white top or smooth skatepark ground, I never flatspotted them but I never tried to either.

If f4s are too slippery for you I'd check them out, good middle of the road between a regular stf and a f4 99. If you mostly skate bowls/pools these are solid.  :)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2606 on: February 18, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
I just wanted to give my 2 cents on the Bones easy street wheels after going through a set.

The wheels feel a little bit softer than formula 4 99a, closer to a set of 97a slime balls my buddy let me try out, however they still feel more chattery and plasticy then f4. Easy streets are significantly slower than an stf or forumla four and this is the biggest problem I had with them; but they're very grippy so I prefer them on transition over a f4.

The set I had powerslide on asphalt fine but are a huge pain in the ass to slide on white top or smooth skatepark ground, I never flatspotted them but I never tried to either.

If f4s are too slippery for you I'd check them out, good middle of the road between a regular stf and a f4 99. If you mostly skate bowls/pools these are solid.  :)

Thanks for the word, I'll try out the Radial Slims before i go deep into wheel madness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2607 on: February 18, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »

They're really weird, but not in a bad way. They have a lot of grip on the ground, but they slide really well (although they need more effort to powerslide). Problem is because of this extra grip, they'll stick to ledges and the like easier.

I don't think you'll like them if you love harder wheels/formulas. (STF 83b, F4 99a, etc).

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2608 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're really weird, but not in a bad way. They have a lot of grip on the ground, but they slide really well (although they need more effort to powerslide). Problem is because of this extra grip, they'll stick to ledges and the like easier.

I don't think you'll like them if you love harder wheels/formulas. (STF 83b, F4 99a, etc).

Don't love harder formula, but always open to try new shit. This usually happens when I have too much time in front of Slap and not enough time on my board.

Realistically my "skate commute" is pretty short, a couple of minutes on some crusty asphalt before I get onto a bus headed to the park. Still, new gear is always fun.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2609 on: February 19, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »
I've always ridden the hardest wheel possible, no matter what (I like to powerslide on hills). Hard wheels slide better for hills, ledge tricks and especially bluntsides.

I ended up switching back to harder wheels regardless of ground, I'll just make it work. Pros outweigh the cons.

Went back to bones from my last set of F4 radial slims, as they made the board feel dead and one wheel, once again, had an uneven bearing seat and it just doesn't spin right....never had the issue with any bones wheels (and a very rarely with spits but it does happen).

What's crazy is I used to hate the way bones stfs felt, now I don't really give a shit/like them over spits.