Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777743 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3570 on: January 23, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »
Other than cores popping out, is there something I’m missing with the welcome orbs wheel design?

I think that was the biggest issue when those sort of wheels were around previously.

Some had a better bond between the urethane and the core, but for the most part, they will all come away sooner or later.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3571 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:37 PM »
I remember always fighting to get bearings in and out with those cored wheels

They should be fucking illegal

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #3572 on: January 24, 2021, 07:31:46 PM »
Anyone try the boardycake princess cut wheels? Debating on trying those or just getting a set of spitfire tablets.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3573 on: January 25, 2021, 06:25:49 AM »
Anyone try the boardycake princess cut wheels? Debating on trying those or just getting a set of spitfire tablets.

I had a set, tried a friend's pair, and then decided to sell. You're better off getting some 50 or 51 tablets...Just a better slide and better on rough terrain for that size. They're not bad at all, just not F4 good.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #3574 on: January 25, 2021, 09:16:05 AM »
sick ill look for some 51 tablets then, will be going on 5.0los so hope they arnt too big

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3575 on: January 25, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3576 on: January 25, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/wheels/products/orbs-ghost-lites-52mm-white-black

White = 52mm
Pink = 54mm
Blue = 56mm

Why reintroduce a concept that's already been proven to fail? More importantly, which one of you guys are going to try this out? Cause $44 is not cheap for a factually failed concept

Any time I remember one of my friends getting those wheels with spokes when they were popular in the mid 2000s they would always break within a month or two. Is there any functional benefit to cored wheels?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3577 on: January 25, 2021, 03:04:17 PM »
I just set up a cruiser with some 87a OJ Keyframes, and I'm not sure how much I like them

The roll and speed are great, but as soon as I get out in the streets I find myself wanting to rip some slappies, and unfortunately the stickiness of the Keyframes makes it much less consistent than I would like

I searched the thread and read previous comments, but there are a few things I'd like to follow up on:

Does the stickiness wear away after you break them in at all?

Do other people get their Keyframes to slide and slappy?

Should I try a slightly harder wheel? Seems like there aren't that many options currently available in the 90a-92a range, but some people like the 92a Ricta Clouds. I see 95a OJ Nomads for sale in a couple places as well.

For background, I normally ride 99a f4s in various sizes and shapes, and I'm looking for something just a little easier on my knees for those lazy/stiff days.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3578 on: January 25, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »

Any time I remember one of my friends getting those wheels with spokes when they were popular in the mid 2000s they would always break within a month or two. Is there any functional benefit to cored wheels?

Spitfire had Firelights, the main thing being they were light, so weight factor was the selling point.

Never noticed the weight difference at all (minimal really) but they look nice for a kid, so sold well to the young cool kids, who I guess were all too young to have cool rims on their cars.

Nicki

« Reply #3579 on: January 25, 2021, 08:00:41 PM »
I just set up a cruiser with some 87a OJ Keyframes, and I'm not sure how much I like them

The roll and speed are great, but as soon as I get out in the streets I find myself wanting to rip some slappies, and unfortunately the stickiness of the Keyframes makes it much less consistent than I would like

I searched the thread and read previous comments, but there are a few things I'd like to follow up on:

Does the stickiness wear away after you break them in at all?

Do other people get their Keyframes to slide and slappy?

Should I try a slightly harder wheel? Seems like there aren't that many options currently available in the 90a-92a range, but some people like the 92a Ricta Clouds. I see 95a OJ Nomads for sale in a couple places as well.

For background, I normally ride 99a f4s in various sizes and shapes, and I'm looking for something just a little easier on my knees for those lazy/stiff days.

Unfortunately, my experience is they’ll stay sticky but also slow down considerably. What size are the keyframes? For cruiser, I skate Powell G-Slides, they’re 85a but not as sticky, feel harder, not bouncy and down lose their speed as much with age - just better quality urethane than OJ etc I guess. I skated the 54s and that was fun changeup to give my knees a break, but didn’t lose all feel like some cruisers. Works for me. I always go back to spitfire 101a for my street setup, but in my experience, spitfire/oj/ricta etc just don’t make a good quality lasting cruiser wheels.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:13:22 PM by Nicki »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3580 on: January 29, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »
Never seen these wheels before...

Roadcrew wheels, from at least 2015.

https://roadcrewwheels.com/

Anyone had them or have any other info on them?

Seems like they are aligned with Scram Skates - big wide wheels for crazy big board dudes, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ALt6iFmsa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKpUTVBDvaD/

https://www.instagram.com/p/_LDz5hkbG2/

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3581 on: January 30, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »
are bones SPF 84b too hard for smooth park concrete bowl?

sketchyrider

« Reply #3582 on: January 30, 2021, 05:26:57 PM »

That's like, what they were designed for and where they excel.

Everywhere else they feel too hard.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3583 on: January 30, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's like, what they were designed for and where they excel.

Everywhere else they feel too hard.

That's the only thing they are good for. I loved them in a big smooth bowl but other than that- forget it.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3584 on: January 30, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »

SPF 84b are spectacular in smooth bowls.  They are the fastest wheel I have used, and still have good enough grip.  I have a set with ceramic bearings that I run on my pool board 9 months of the year.

I use them nowhere else.  Because outside of the bowl they suck.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #3585 on: February 01, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »

Seems like they are aligned with Scram Skates - big wide wheels for crazy big board dudes, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ALt6iFmsa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKpUTVBDvaD/

https://www.instagram.com/p/_LDz5hkbG2/

I don't know the exact details but I heard those Road Crew wheels guys ripped off NFG for a shit ton of product. Also, unnecessary umlauts in logos are played out

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Diocletian

« Reply #3586 on: February 01, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »
I've seen those wheels in person and they definitely weren't coming from NFG. Looked like another brand getting their wheels poured by Creative.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3587 on: February 01, 2021, 12:10:11 PM »
Also, unnecessary umlauts in logos are played out

Motorhead references are never played out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9V5cRSOPg

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #3588 on: February 01, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »
Which brand would you prefer? Wayward, Crupie, or sml?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3589 on: February 01, 2021, 05:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know the exact details but I heard those Road Crew wheels guys ripped off NFG for a shit ton of product. Also, unnecessary umlauts in logos are played out
I've seen those wheels in person and they definitely weren't coming from NFG. Looked like another brand getting their wheels poured by Creative.

Thanks for the replies!

I thought the look of them, as well as the similarity to Spitfire F4 - wheels and packaging - was a curious thing.

This quote comes to mind (had to look it up as I couldn't remember it correctly):

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”- Oscar Wilde.

The earlier ones definitely look like NFG, but the most recent ones look more like the OJ or Slimeball new wheels, not that the look is anything to really go by.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B94d08tlNzg/

EDIT: Also as I am a bit rusty on my languages, aren't they only on A, O and U, not E - German Umlauts: Ä Ö and Ü

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:43:41 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3590 on: February 02, 2021, 01:43:08 AM »

EDIT: Also as I am a bit rusty on my languages, aren't they only on A, O and U, not E - German Umlauts: Ä Ö and Ü

You don‘t get the ë in German, but you do get it in French, e.g. in Citroën, Noël (christmas) and such.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3591 on: February 02, 2021, 02:19:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You don‘t get the ë in German, but you do get it in French, e.g. in Citroën, Noël (christmas) and such.

That would be it, they are San Frenchiscans!

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3592 on: February 02, 2021, 04:49:30 AM »

Never tried wayward or crupie but I have had a positive experience with a set of sml wheels. It's hard to put the on the same level as F4's but I never got flatspots or any major issues with them. I also had the OG formula which is supposed to be similar to F4 compared to the AG which is more like spit classics I've heard.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #3593 on: February 02, 2021, 05:50:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never tried wayward or crupie but I have had a positive experience with a set of sml wheels. It's hard to put the on the same level as F4's but I never got flatspots or any major issues with them. I also had the OG formula which is supposed to be similar to F4 compared to the AG which is more like spit classics I've heard.

sml feels like a wheel others would like IMO, I've flatted 2 pairs of crupie.

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #3594 on: February 02, 2021, 06:25:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thank you kind sir!

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3595 on: February 05, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
are dial tones good? ive been skating 99a f4s (usually 54mm conical fulls, had one pair of 58mm classics) exclusively for the last 5 or 6 years with one set of bones 100s in between, i skated them for like a month because i got them for free and i didnt have any money to spend on wheels, they were kinda ok but as soon as i switched back to f4s i was over them and im never going to buy them again. i wanted to get some loopholes but i would have to order them from the uk (i live in poland) and the shipping is like half the price of the wheels which are already kinda expensive. recently one of the distributions here in poland started carrying dial tones and they look sick so ive been wanting to try them out, the jahmal 99a conicals, especially because my shop sponsor gets their shit from that distro so i could buy them for 30% off. the only problem is that that same distribution also carries spitfire and they would cost exactly the same. are the dial tones worth it or should i stick to f4s? how do they compare? ive been also wanting to try out the new 97 classics and i cant make up my mind. 
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3596 on: February 05, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »
are dial tones good? ive been skating 99a f4s (usually 54mm conical fulls, had one pair of 58mm classics) exclusively for the last 5 or 6 years with one set of bones 100s in between, i skated them for like a month because i got them for free and i didnt have any money to spend on wheels, they were kinda ok but as soon as i switched back to f4s i was over them and im never going to buy them again. i wanted to get some loopholes but i would have to order them from the uk (i live in poland) and the shipping is like half the price of the wheels which are already kinda expensive. recently one of the distributions here in poland started carrying dial tones and they look sick so ive been wanting to try them out, the jahmal 99a conicals, especially because my shop sponsor gets their shit from that distro so i could buy them for 30% off. the only problem is that that same distribution also carries spitfire and they would cost exactly the same. are the dial tones worth it or should i stick to f4s? how do they compare? ive been also wanting to try out the new 97 classics and i cant make up my mind.

For price comparison, Spitfire are the number one wheel for a reason, so if other wheels are the same price and Spitfire are in stock, I wouldn't be thinking twice about anything else, but that is just me.

For any one else, I think a few pages back I asked about them (instagram pic from Uprise) and people said they were good.  Seems "good" is not "great" though, so again it comes back to supply - if you can get whatever you want, it is your choice, but I think you might be a little less happy with any other wheel besides Spitfire.

If you go to the top of this thread and type "dial" first and have a look, then "dialtone" in the search, lots of other people have commented on them.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #3597 on: February 05, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For price comparison, Spitfire are the number one wheel for a reason, so if other wheels are the same price and Spitfire are in stock, I wouldn't be thinking twice about anything else, but that is just me.

For any one else, I think a few pages back I asked about them (instagram pic from Uprise) and people said they were good.  Seems "good" is not "great" though, so again it comes back to supply - if you can get whatever you want, it is your choice, but I think you might be a little less happy with any other wheel besides Spitfire.

If you go to the top of this thread and type "dial" first and have a look, then "dialtone" in the search, lots of other people have commented on them.

I remember seeing a post from Mike Del Negro on insta possibly and seeing the most flatspotted wheels of my life. Will have to do some lurking and see if I can find it. Also I dm'ed Dial Tone before and whoever I talked with was one of the most unhelpful people on earth and couldn't answer basic questions about shape or duro. Literally could only say they were "good" and "what the real nor east pros use..." I just stick with tried and true SF classics and bigheads.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3598 on: February 07, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »
Anybody know where I can score them oj boserio 60 mm wheels 97a or the 95 a oj combos in 60 mm

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3599 on: February 07, 2021, 07:58:31 PM »
Anybody know where I can score them oj boserio 60 mm wheels 97a or the 95 a oj combos in 60 mm

They are lots of fun and I still have some of each of those, but unless you are in Australia, I think you might be out of luck - people have been searching high and low for those for a while and there are none out there since the wheel shortage started.

Santa Cruz Slimeballs are the same size and urethane, so between OJ Elites, OJ combos, the big wide wheels with limited runs were awesome in the last few years.