Author Topic: Fucking Awesome Tour  (Read 47801 times)

ill_Murray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
Re: Fucking Awesome Tour
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2015, 10:32:11 AM »
^ shut up.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

zarathustra

• Rep: -8
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
^ haha ok meanie, sorry  :-*

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1206
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »
so, wait, what's the story with the fake tour?  make fake tour dates with no real locations, show up a couple days before said fake tour date, pretend no one showed up, and hope this results in FA looking like they just don't care? 

the real "look at me, I don't care" move is to set-up full fledged demos and then just not show up at all.  or take a page out of Choco tour and just fake injuries at the stops and collect the dough.   
hardly art, hardly starving

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
so, wait, what's the story with the fake tour?  make fake tour dates with no real locations, show up a couple days before said fake tour date, pretend no one showed up, and hope this results in FA looking like they just don't care? 

the real "look at me, I don't care" move is to set-up full fledged demos and then just not show up at all.  or take a page out of Choco tour and just fake injuries at the stops and collect the dough.   
Collect what dough? Looks pretty clear to me nobody paid them to do the demos.

Jacobtylermumford

• Rep: -4
  • Artist, skate rat
    • My art blog avatar image
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
I was pretty bummed when even after reaching out really geneuinely to multiple people on the tour, over multiple different media platforms , They never released any information about where they were going to skate.. They were in Milwaukee for the right date of the tour, but they probably had no idea that Milwaukee has a really fucking rad skate scene, and didn't know where to skate, so they went to the four seasons outdoor park, and of course no one was there, it's the most busted park in Milwaukee for sure... It's like, there's clearly kids reaching out to you that are stoked on what you're doing, and you're just ignoring them? I know a there's a huge fan base here that would have been so stoked to see a demo at our local DIY, or Cream City, but there was no information at all, you would think they would talk to the skateshop in Milwaukee that actually carries their product.. I COULD HAVE SKATED WITH LOGAN LARA!

Grind King Rims

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
Nigga, what's your signature from? That's Jamal Smith, right?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
Like it or not 'laziness' is an important part of the game now.  Romantic notions of purity and originality are rightly being eroded by newer generations wiling to push the boundaries of socially constructed prohibitions limiting certain forms expression.

Appropriation in art is the use of pre-existing objects or images with little or no transformation applied to them.

The use of appropriation has played a significant role in the history of the arts (literary, visual, musical and performing arts).

In the visual arts, to appropriate means to properly adopt, borrow, recycle or sample aspects (or the entire form) of human-made visual culture.

Notable in this respect are the Readymades of Marcel Duchamp (leading to the films, paintings, gestures of Andy Warhol, Richard Prince, John Baldessari, Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons, Sherrie Levine) etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Duchamp

All of the above appropriated from the interwebs...  ;)

You are an idiot and this post proves what happens when you "appropriate" something with no actual idea what you're doing or talking about.

Also, even if you were right that "'laziness' is an important part of the game now" and "Romantic notions of purity and originality are rightly being eroded by newer generations wiling to push the boundaries of socially constructed prohibitions limiting certain forms expression," citing Marcel Duchamp, who died before any of these guys were born and an art movement that began over 100 years ago does not help your argument.

zarathustra

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
oyolar, for someone throwing around the word idiot you seem a little confused.

What i wrote isn't really that complex. Duchamp's 'readymades' are considered the first instance of appropriation taken seriously in the art world and they prefigure and directly influence the work of all the other artists i mentioned. The fact that he died 'before any of these guys were born' doesn't negate or diminish this lineage.

FA's use of similar strategies might be dismissed as lazy or unoriginal but they follow an established and accepted artistic tradition that has (and continues to) produced legitimately good art. It's simply that the granularity of the medium has steadily increased (from say raw paint to newspaper clippings to an actual novel, in the work of Goya, Braque and Prince respectively for example).

There are a lot of people who still resist these new ways of working whether out of historical ignorance, romantic infatuation with the cult of originality or a stubborn reactionary bent, but progress waits for no-one my boy...

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »

What i wrote isn't really that complex. Duchamp's 'readymades' are considered the first instance of appropriation taken seriously in the art world and they prefigure and directly influence the work of all the other artists i mentioned. The fact that he died 'before any of these guys were born' doesn't negate or diminish this lineage.

FA's use of similar strategies might be dismissed as lazy or unoriginal but they follow an established and accepted artistic tradition that has (and continues to) produced legitimately good art. It's simply that the granularity of the medium has steadily increased (from say raw paint to newspaper clippings to an actual novel, in the work of Goya, Braque and Prince respectively for example).

There are a lot of people who still resist these new ways of working whether out of historical ignorance, romantic infatuation with the cult of originality or a stubborn reactionary bent, but progress waits for no-one my boy...

Please fuck off you pretentious twat.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

abudabi

« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
who gives a shit what the 'art world' says is important?
artists have been borrowing from older works for hundreds of years.
the fact that you are taking a skateboarding company this seriously says a lot about you.
yeah jason dill is a fuckin genius.

zarathustra

« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
haha the slap dumbing-down committee has spoken...

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2015, 05:08:50 PM »
Best thing about art is how rad it makes you feel inside...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:24:59 PM by fulltechnicalskizzy »

abudabi

« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »
haha the slap dumbing-down committee has spoken...
dumbing down would be not actually refuting my points and then telling me im dumbing down the conversation.
if you wanna actually respond to what i said then maybe the conversation wouldnt be dumbed down?

Mother Goose.

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2015, 05:20:30 PM »
readymades, bro

fangen

« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2015, 05:30:38 PM »
All you chameleons will eat any dick you're fed and fucking awesome has zero chance of surviving the next paradigm shift. Nothing but a caboose on the ofwgkta hype train that's steadily approaching irrelevancy.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »
Best thing about art is how rad it makes you feel inside...

The best thing about science is that it's all based on theory.

zarathustra

« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2015, 05:50:32 PM »
ya you silly dick-eating, train-riding chameleons, anything cool today is gonna be lame tomorrow... you'll see...

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
All you chameleons will eat any dick you're fed and fucking awesome has zero chance of surviving the next paradigm shift. Nothing but a caboose on the ofwgkta hype train that's steadily approaching irrelevancy.

I too do not see FA lasting long at all. I imagine hockey will be scrapped even quicker.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I too do not see FA lasting long at all. I imagine hockey will be scrapped even quicker.

Not that FA and Mother are competing with each other, but comparing the two as AWS offshoots....in just the past 30 days Mother drops it's first offering and already seems like a much more focused and interesting effort, with an assured identity, vision and direction.

FA just seems rudderless...adrift in the hypebeast cosmos.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
People are starting to hate FA now? FINALLY. This company sucks

RonBurgundy

• Rep: -40
  • from a whale's vagina
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2015, 12:24:47 AM »
Hey Sean Pablo, when did Dill tell you that? ;D

Speedway

• Rep: 110
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2015, 03:29:43 AM »
It's astounding the lengths people go to to justify FA's shit excuse for art and graphics.

What makes it even fucking lazier is that the only people who've had FA ads are ones who's names you can spell with the letters that make up 'Fucking Awesome' - "Gino's the only guy who's full name you can spell with the Fucking Awesome letters" - get a graphic designer you lazy dipshit.

When you've got AVE, Dill, Gino and Dylan Rieder on the same team and the company still blows, now that is fucking impressive. And this is coming from someone who's pretty much as close to their 'target market' as possible.

I don't think anything in skateboarding has dissapointed me as much as this company.

Harem

« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2015, 04:13:47 AM »
Some of the responses in this thread :D

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1206
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Collect what dough? Looks pretty clear to me nobody paid them to do the demos.

hardly art, hardly starving

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2015, 07:12:27 AM »
did they actually have a demo in chicago yesterday?

hankmasterflex

« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
skatelife

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »
bump because this tour is a total shit show and I want more updates!

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2015, 06:15:37 AM »
I've bought one FA board from Labor because of Gino. FA recently took away Labor's account for god knows what reason, perhaps the same reason why they didn't have it in the first place, which was proximity to Supreme. I'm just one person, but they just lost one person that will ever buy an FA board again.

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:02 AM »
I've bought one FA board from Labor because of Gino. FA recently took away Labor's account for god knows what reason, perhaps the same reason why they didn't have it in the first place, which was proximity to Supreme. I'm just one person, but they just lost one person that will ever buy an FA board again.

so your taking something that is not personal very personal, everybody knows how Dill and Supreme love one another.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:32 AM »
I went to the Earl Sweatshirt show in Pittsburgh on Saturday night and the merch dudes selling FA tees told me "they tried to find shit to skate but it sucks here"

I asked him where they went, who they were with, he just said "the guys were real tired, they went out at like 1am to skate, they probably won't go out again"

On twitter and IG, you'll see people were trying to get at the team with no replies whatsoever..

They were definitely there though.. Sean pablo was standing cross-armed in the wings of backstage throughout the show. Nakel Smith was dj'ing and rapping with Earl