Author Topic: MLB Thread  (Read 34519 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
Now the Chiefs have to win the Super Bowl...

LOL

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
Well shit congrats to the Royals, they absolutely deserved that.  One could definitely knock the Mets for some stupid mistakes, but the Royals just out-played them in every single way. 

Collins definitely should've pulled Harvey after he walked Cain, but the biggest fuckup of the night was the Mets having the bases loaded with 0 outs and coming up with one measly run on a sac fly.  I told my friend that was gonna come back to get them and it did.  Would've have mattered there was no way the Royals were losing that series.

Now let's get to the offseason stuff!!! Greinke goes to SF any day now... tick...tick... tick......

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »
No chance Mets can sign Murphy now, they dont pay and Murphy shit the bed fielding wise. Some sucker will buy him up, probably Texas.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Now let's get to the offseason stuff!!! Greinke goes to SF any day now... tick...tick... tick......
you think? Haha he'll be vilified in LA the way Wilson was in the Bay when he left SF.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you think? Haha he'll be vilified in LA the way Wilson was in the Bay when he left SF.

yankees could use another pitcher with cc on the way out.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn, I'm surprised that the Cubs haven't squeaked out at least one win.  KC absolutely demolished Toronto.  I'm not 100% on taking it today though I think Volquez is the best man for the job.  Still, really pleased at how well KC is doing.
[close]
I'm stoked on Volquez and Cueto doing well, they're both former Cincinnati Reds. And the Reds suck so bad that the only thing I can get stoked on is seeing guys that used to play here do well for other teams.
[close]

Well I guess a redeeming factor is y'all have Joey Votto. One of my favorites, such great hitting mechanics. Think his numbers this season were pretty damn close to his MVP year.
[close]
He is indeed a great player, seems like a decent enough guy too. What I did catch this year though it did seem that all the losing got to him and he lost his cool a few too many times. I have to say though, Todd Frazier is probably my current favorite Red. Trade Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips, throw Chapman out there and see who bites.

Late reply, but I did see those few occasions where he would argue calls and lose his shit. That probably was a product of a losing record. Not sure of the Reds farm situation, but you could flip some of those players you mentioned for prospects. I'm guessing y'all will be going into rebuild mode? Sucks though, Votto's right in his prime.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
OMG that's bananas. Imagine the #'s if the Chiefs won the super bowl

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

yankees could use another pitcher with cc on the way out.

Well the Giants have big pockets and they are looking for starters.. and he's the best on the market... but I highly doubt it.  these days Sabean seem really weary of the big deal, although they did go after Lester pretty hard.  someone told me in the past Greinke has mentioned wanting to go to SF, but I know the Dodgers want to resign him and the Yankees will go after him so I can't imagine the amount $ that will be thrown around. 

Odds are they will go for Zimmerman or someone like that.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2015, 02:09:06 AM »
A couple of notable offseason deals going down Greinke to the DBacks, and the Giants signing Samardzija. Thoughts?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »
A couple of notable offseason deals going down Greinke to the DBacks, and the Giants signing Samardzija. Thoughts?

Oh man where to begin... I was really hoping the Giants would somehow wrangle Greinke, but I'm ok with him going elsewhere.  Holy fuck that's a big contract for a 32 year old pitcher, and the DBacks are gonna find themselves bogged down with that in a few years.  I guess he wanted that 6th year, and they gave it to him when the Giants/Dodgers wouldn't.  Well enjoy 3rd place there buddy... DBacks have a pretty weak pitching staff all around, and even with Shelby Miller (who they gave up a ton for) I can't see them dominating the division.  Padres tried that last year and it didn't come close.

I am definitely excited about Samardzija... he had a bad year last year with a bad team, but he's a solid/at times great pitcher who is gonna improve in a pitchers park and the NL.  He grew up a Giants fan, too, so hopefully it'll motivate him.  That being said, the Giants definitely have to do more...  They need at least one more starter and an outfielder (i'm very glad they didn't overpay for Jason Hayward), and I hope they resign Timmy just because he's Timmy goddamnit.  Resign Leake and go get Gordon (or even better yet Carlos Gonzales) and we'll be good.

Cubs have been making big moves.. considering how close they were last year I'd say they're a top seed team.  But they are the Cubs, after all.

I have to laugh at the Dodgers.. they picked up Chapman which is HUGE but as of now seems like it all went to shit.  He could be suspended for a long time.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
Giants just signed Johnny Cueto to a 6 year, 130million dollar deal.   

Tracer

« Reply #252 on: December 14, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »
That is very worrying for SF, Barry Zito all over again. These baseball deals are getting seriously out of hand, how can teams like Tampa and Oakland even compete?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

Not really feeling this one.  I would've much rather they resign Leake and get a solid outfielder, Cueto is too unstable of a pitcher.  6 years is a long, long time to get stuck with someone of that shakyness.  Guess one good game in the WS to end your season makes people forget that you really had a poor second half.

Not too mention Giants have to big holes in middle relief that they need to fill, and for the love of god I don't wanna see Blanco out in left field again next year.

I guess he's not a bad #3 (or #4 if Cain can get his shit together), but fuck that's a lot of money for a 4/5 guy. 

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
Bump

Detroit signed j up even though they're loaded with right handed batters. Maybe them healthy will make the AL central slightly more competitive instead of KC steam rolling it.

And finally a full season of Carlos Correa (hopefully Springer as well!)

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
Bump

Detroit signed j up even though they're loaded with right handed batters. Maybe them healthy will make the AL central slightly more competitive instead of KC steam rolling it.

And finally a full season of Carlos Correa (hopefully Springer as well!)

as a Tigers fan, even with the added pieces this year (Zimmerman,upton) we still don't have a legit chance without an improved or 100% healthy bullpen. every year I hope miggy will lead the team to a pennant but come mid season, it just gets tough when we always have leads n games and blow them in the 8th and even worse the 9th. hate to say it but i feel this is the last legit chance for a shot at the World Series with the current somewhat veteran players.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »
I'd like to revisit my previous statement about Johnny Cueto... I'm actually a little more positive about it these days.  His numbers will improve in AT&T, and as a whole the Giants starting 5 looks pretty damn good.  A few years from now he could be the new Armando Benitez, but I'll stay positive.

I've said this before but what worries me more is the bullpen, particularly middle relief as we lost Petite (who was terrible last year anyway) and Affeldt.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Lincecum will get a 1 year deal and maybe offer some help, plus some of the young guys. 

I really dig the Denard Span pickup... he's exactly the type of player the Giants need (gets on base, runs fast and can HIT), obviously a little shaky coming off an injury but all accounts say he's good to go.  As long as the major players stay healthy there's no reason why the Giants couldn't take their division... the Dodgers haven't done shit and the DBacks are gonna be like last years Padres.

I'm ready for this shit to start!! Pitchers and catchers on Feb 17th!!

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »
I'd like to revisit my previous statement about Johnny Cueto... I'm actually a little more positive about it these days.  His numbers will improve in AT&T, and as a whole the Giants starting 5 looks pretty damn good.  A few years from now he could be the new Armando Benitez, but I'll stay positive.

I've said this before but what worries me more is the bullpen, particularly middle relief as we lost Petite (who was terrible last year anyway) and Affeldt.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Lincecum will get a 1 year deal and maybe offer some help, plus some of the young guys. 

I really dig the Denard Span pickup... he's exactly the type of player the Giants need (gets on base, runs fast and can HIT), obviously a little shaky coming off an injury but all accounts say he's good to go.  As long as the major players stay healthy there's no reason why the Giants couldn't take their division... the Dodgers haven't done shit and the DBacks are gonna be like last years Padres.

I'm ready for this shit to start!! Pitchers and catchers on Feb 17th!!

i tried to get my friend to find me a cueto shirt when he was out in sf earlier this week, but he said they didn't have any made yet. can't wait to see him play the reds this year. it'll be a fun series.

Tracer

« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
Spring training in Clearwater is going to be Jays Nation, might head down there for a week or two

Chris Davis got a mammoth deal in Baltimore.. Aside from Yankees the al east should be pretty damn good... Again

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
Spring training in Clearwater is going to be Jays Nation, might head down there for a week or two

Chris Davis got a mammoth deal in Baltimore.. Aside from Yankees the al east should be pretty damn good... Again

what do you think about price going to boston

Tracer

« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
No brainer for Sox they will do anything to get big names playing in that piece of shit Fenway park  :D there's still a lot to be done but Price will obviously help any team he pitches for, Boston could maybe toughen him up for big games.

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
Big bounce, who else is having fun with October this year? I live in the DMV, so watching the Nats win the division was pretty wild last night  ;D The icing on the cake was that Howie Kendrick hit that grand slam immediately after the Dodgers intentionally walked Soto ... like they really thought they got trouble out the way. Eat it!!!

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »
Big bounce, who else is having fun with October this year? I live in the DMV, so watching the Nats win the division was pretty wild last night  ;D The icing on the cake was that Howie Kendrick hit that grand slam immediately after the Dodgers intentionally walked Soto ... like they really thought they got trouble out the way. Eat it!!!

I really enjoy watching the MLB Playoffs every year.

Unfortunately, I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan so I rarely get to see my home team playing in any of the games.

FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »
Seriously... outside of the Yanks/Twins ass-whooping every series has been exciting and unpredictable.

Being a Giants fan I obviously got a kick out of seeing the Dodgers lose last night;  another October choke-job by Kershaw, another poor pitching decision by Roberts, awesome late-inning offense by the Nats who I have no problem rooting for because Harper is gone.

I'm rooting for TB tonight... I figured the Astros were gonna be unbeatable and it would be awesome to see them go so quickly.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
Forgot Bea doesn’t like the ‘Stros ha. I remember posting in the other MLB thread how i would NOT want to face the rays... that’s coming to fruition. Young, no pressure, great pitching. I won’t even be mad if we get upset....

But the dodgers.... why on earth do you keep Kelly out there for two innings ? That was horrible managing....

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
Jesus, Kershaw looked like an absolute shell of a man after that. I almost felt terrible for him.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
Forgot Bea doesn’t like the ‘Stros ha. I remember posting in the other MLB thread how i would NOT want to face the rays... that’s coming to fruition. Young, no pressure, great pitching. I won’t even be mad if we get upset....

But the dodgers.... why on earth do you keep Kelly out there for two innings ? That was horrible managing....

It's not that I don't like the Astros!!  I don't really like Verlander really, that's about it.  That guy Cole is a fucking monster though.  Did I see something like he has over 10k's in each of his last 13 starts??  I guess I'm just pulling for underdog teams.

Yeah I felt pretty bad for Kershaw... by all accounts seems like a nice enough guy, and an amazing pitcher, but his post-season rep is eating himself.

Usually Roberts is too quick to pull the starter (like last years WS).. but I thought he was right to pull him last night.  Why, though, why would you go with Kershaw when you have the best bullpen in the NL??  Why fuck up the flow at all?? He also should've pulled Kelly when he walked that first guy; instead he leaves him in there to load the bases and leaves him in to give up a grand slam.  I'm surprised Roberts hasn't been fired yet. 

Props to the Nats too... the got the biggest hits and the perfect time and now they got all the momentum

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2019, 07:26:27 AM »
Jesus, Kershaw looked like an absolute shell of a man after that. I almost felt terrible for him.

This. Especially seeing those images of him in the dugout. I just think he’s gassed and the leagues caught up to him.

Still I put that loss more on Roberts.

And Gerrit Cole is a machine..

Heather Chandler

« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Hyped to see the Nationals going to the world series. I'm a Mariners fan (sadly), but I'm pulling for them. Plus Juan Soto grabbing his package during WS will be great.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2019, 07:18:26 AM »
Jesus i should’ve put money on the nats winning the NL pennant....