Author Topic: Girl Deck Shapes  (Read 84608 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Girl Deck Shapes
« Reply #390 on: March 03, 2023, 06:58:48 AM »
I haven’t bought boards in quite awhile, and am trying to skate thru some of my old setups and what not. I noticed that the crail boards are all still quite good.
I like the shapes/dimensions. I skate better on them, specifically the shorter tail. From an aesthetic perspective, the shapes don’t intrigue me, the graphics are not as interesting as they once were, the brand has almost none of the ‘magic’, for me, but the stuff works well. Which is almost a complete reversal of how it used to be.
I really like the G053. I want to try the G05O***, and the G030. I would be hyped on an 8” version of that shape.
I’m still looking for shape that works best with thunder 147s.

The Carl shape looks nice, and I bet it does go well with ventures.

Edit: I want to try the 50, not 52.
I love the short tail, and the long wb works really well for me other than being a mindfuck
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:51:19 AM by Ok »

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #391 on: March 03, 2023, 07:33:10 AM »
GO27 vs gO52 ?

Does it really make a difference?

Venture v hollows btw and want to try a new 8.25 deck.
AWS was good, but forward flips didn’t work as good as with other decks, guess because of the length. It’s not that much difference; but still

I tried the G052 and something felt a bit weird for me. The taper towards the tail. Tail too long, Nose too short. 14 wb too short. That was on Indy 144s. Gave it to my homie with Ventures and he liked it a lot. I wish Crail would make a 8.25 with a 14.2 wb and a slightly shorter tail. Because I really like the wood and I wasn't able to break any of the Crail decks I've ridden before I sized up (both 8.125 variants).

Anyone here tried the G050 with Indys? I just checked the website and I am not familiar with that shape. 6.5 tail and 14.4 wheelbase sounds kinda cool.
IG: @flowterspace

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2023, 08:26:43 PM »
Set up a G008 the other day.  Three sessions in now, and I was thinkimg it seemed a little steep.  I've had this shape numerous times.  Pulled out my last G008 from within the past year, and the tail definitely felt more mellow.  Put the digital angle gauge on both tails, and there was a 2 degree difference.  Now I'm trying to figure out if they were like this from the factory, or if the previous one flattened out that much while riding it.  Madness for sure.

wax poetic

• Rep: 40
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2023, 08:46:42 PM »
Just set up a G069 ... twin nose ... one session in and I'm digging it and hoping I'm able to continue getting it.

mtlhd

• Rep: 3
« Reply #394 on: March 08, 2023, 07:03:14 PM »
I've been using the G052 shape for the past 2 months. I noticed the shape tapers from 8.25" at the front bolts to 8" at the back bolts. With Thunder 148s and 53mm Spitfire tablets, the board still feels solid and light with a good amount of pop. I did have to put some risers on because the board felt too low. My tricks were inconsistent, and I kept experiencing a lot of ghost pop. Also, the 14" wheelbase feels too cramped for me, so I'll be trying a 14.5" wheelbase. Let's see how that goes!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #395 on: March 08, 2023, 10:04:21 PM »
I had the 8.38 version of the G050 and hated it. Too steep and felt longer than any other deck I've had of that length or wheelbase cuz of the massive fingers of flat.

I just want a 14.25 G052. Just move each truck a tiny bit towards the kick or i dunno what- just make it happen.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: March 08, 2023, 10:35:21 PM »
I had the 8.38 version of the G050 and hated it. Too steep and felt longer than any other deck I've had of that length or wheelbase cuz of the massive fingers of flat.

I just want a 14.25 G052. Just move each truck a tiny bit towards the kick or i dunno what- just make it happen.

Damn. I’ve been thinking about the G050. I’ve ridden the 53 plenty, but I don’t really prefer boards, and trucks, that wide.
I just really love the tail, and am strangely fine with the long ass wb.
52 was weird for me, and only worked with ace 44s and huge wheels.

Crail boards are not the most exciting, to me, but they last. And seem to be very consistent.

Trying to find something to go with my 147s

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #397 on: March 09, 2023, 04:41:01 AM »

I always wonder this.  They probably have more shapes than any other company, but we can't get an 8.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase?  I did finally get to set up a g057 yesterday with hollow Ventures.  I felt like it skated more like a skinnier deck instead of an 8.5 - flipped nicely.  I was worried that the nose was going to be too small, but it worked.  I like the small amount of taper toward the tail with the tail still being round instead of pointy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #398 on: March 09, 2023, 07:23:25 AM »
The wood is great, but the shapes are too different from one another and it fries my brain. I don't mind changing the shape up somewhat, but their tails, nose, fingers of flat, etc all change a ton between shapes.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #399 on: March 09, 2023, 08:02:47 AM »
The wood is great, but the shapes are too different from one another and it fries my brain. I don't mind changing the shape up somewhat, but their tails, nose, fingers of flat, etc all change a ton between shapes.

I kinda like this, but it’s not gradual. I like how specific and thought out the shapes are. They really are good.
I really like short tails. They has it. Their shape guide is the fuckin best too

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #400 on: March 10, 2023, 09:14:56 AM »
Just set up a G069 ... twin nose ... one session in and I'm digging it and hoping I'm able to continue getting it.
And...? Thinking about G69 too.
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

wax poetic

« Reply #401 on: March 21, 2023, 01:54:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
And...? Thinking about G69 too.

I'm digging it but I like big noses so I'm not surprised.  Looking at it took longer to get used to than actually skating it, but I think I'd feel the same with a twin tail.  It's also .25" larger than I normally skate too but it felt good and I could see this being what I ride from here on out for a while.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #402 on: March 21, 2023, 07:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always wonder this.  They probably have more shapes than any other company, but we can't get an 8.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase?

Crail could definitely make one but honestly there are plenty of 8.25 / 14.25 wb decks on the market from every other brand so they probably don’t see the point. As a short legged guy I’m happy for all the wider board options they keep with a 14” wheelbase because that’s actually rare to see.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2023, 08:01:23 AM »
How steep is the go27? Compared with Pizza or Alien decks if somebody knows maybe?

Would ride them with high Venture lights

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2023, 09:42:22 AM »
Not steep at all, mellow kicks...I'd say almost certainly AWS are steeper, not sure about Pizza.

I ride them with Thunder lights and the pop is quick and easy. Lost count of the number i've skated now, but it's my go-to shape.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2023, 11:01:00 AM »

For the sake of consistency, I'm gonna call the tips "tails".

I randomly got a hankering for riding a twin tail and the G069 dims got my attention. Got some not-yet-broken-in 149 Indy Mids that seem like a sweet fit on the 8.5.

Is the shape of the tails really that "nosey"? Are they fat and wide like a Hockey nose or a bit more mid-range, al a general DLX nose?

And how steep is the concave? With this kind of change I'm not too worried, just cause I have to get used to the set-up anyway, just wondering about general feel. Flat, mid, steep? The shape guide doesn't really disclose this.

Edit: i was mistaken, I was checking out the G096 - 8.5 twin nose

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 03:56:54 PM by Necktie.w.t.d. »
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2023, 09:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I randomly got a hankering for riding a twin tail and the G069 dims got my attention. Got some not-yet-broken-in 149 Indy Mids that seem like a sweet fit on the 8.5.

Is the shape of the tails really that "nosey"? Are they fat and wide like a Hockey nose or a bit more mid-range, al a general DLX nose?

And how steep is the concave? With this kind of change I'm not too worried, just cause I have to get used to the set-up anyway, just wondering about general feel. Flat, mid, steep? The shape guide doesn't really disclose this.

What do you mean it’s the first thing you see on the shape guide when you pick the shape 

wax poetic

« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2023, 10:10:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't been able to skate for a bit as every weekend between family and clients has been taken for about a month an a half now but from what I remember it felt middle of the road.  But yes the shape is really that nosey... it is way different than a twin tail.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What do you mean it’s the first thing you see on the shape guide when you pick the shape

My guy, this doesn't say anything about concave.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #409 on: April 21, 2023, 10:31:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven't been able to skate for a bit as every weekend between family and clients has been taken for about a month an a half now but from what I remember it felt middle of the road.  But yes the shape is really that nosey... it is way different than a twin tail.

Good to know, pretty excited to try something different

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2023, 07:49:31 AM »
Are crailtap decks heavier than bbs or ps stix?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2023, 08:06:21 AM »
I'd say all 3 are around the same weight if you're only comparing standard 7-ply decks

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2023, 09:02:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd say all 3 are around the same weight if you're only comparing standard 7-ply decks

Perfect!

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2023, 11:12:08 AM »
More GO27 questions:

How steep are they compared to AWS or Fa or Pizza?
Comparable to any other brand?

Any other brand that comes close to the GO27 shape?

notinternetfamous

« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2023, 11:18:01 AM »
More GO27 questions:

are you not able to go into a skate shop and just compare them? I've never seen a crail board as steep as a FA. I'd assume slightly mellower than AWS just from my experience but I've never skated any of the 8.25 crail shapes. Just 8.125 and below which all have been pretty mellow compared to most industry brands

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2023, 12:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
More GO27 questions:

[close]
are you not able to go into a skate shop and just compare them? I've never seen a crail board as steep as a FA. I'd assume slightly mellower than AWS just from my experience but I've never skated any of the 8.25 crail shapes. Just 8.125 and below which all have been pretty mellow compared to most industry brands

Nope man. No skateshop with much choice of brands here.
The Kicks are mellower than from most brands?
I guess I just need to try one.

notinternetfamous

« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2023, 01:25:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
More GO27 questions:

[close]
[close]

Nope man. No skateshop with much choice of brands here.
The Kicks are mellower than from most brands?
I guess I just need to try one.
oh gotcha. the Girl kicks aren't much different from the kicks on the standard Baker 8.0 or Magenta 8.0 in my experience.
the only thing that I could think of that may be different is the amount of fingers of flat

Most of the crailtap shapes I assume were made in the 90's/early 2000's so the shapes are probably on the "mellower" side compared to what's considered popular today (steep blunt noses, fuller shapes, etc.). That doesn't mean that they have the flattest boards. Just saying that they are no where as steep as a FA/Hockey

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2023, 04:04:18 PM »
The G096 I ordered came in yesterday, I set it up and rode it once as of this moment. Concave feels pretty mid, more on the flatter side. It's a twin nose, and the kicks remind me of BBS noses (Similar size and steepness, maybe a touch mellower).

So far the board feels great though, the dims fit and work with the shape. 14" wheelbase might be my sweetspot and getting down to 8.5 feels so much more agile than the >8.5 sizes I've been riding. Twin tip has been a treat play with so far.

wax poetic

« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2023, 09:13:54 PM »
The G096 I ordered came in yesterday, I set it up and rode it once as of this moment. Concave feels pretty mid, more on the flatter side. It's a twin nose, and the kicks remind me of BBS noses (Similar size and steepness, maybe a touch mellower).

So far the board feels great though, the dims fit and work with the shape. 14" wheelbase might be my sweetspot and getting down to 8.5 feels so much more agile than the >8.5 sizes I've been riding. Twin tip has been a treat play with so far.

Happy to hear you're liking it man!  I'll def grab a couple more (hopefully mccrank will get one in this shape) when they do another box deal

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2023, 05:08:21 AM »
I set my first girl deck - 8 inch Breezy G045 shape and the tail is super steep for my liking. I have tried a friend's chocolate deck before, i think it was the G027 and it also had this steep tail. Are all crail shapes with tails like these? I
I put thunders 147 first and it was kind of ok. When i use tha nose as a tail i had perfect pop, but otherwise it is just not comfortable for my ankle. I had an ankle injury recently and this may contribute to the unpleasant feeling, so I decided to go lower with one old pair of royal lows so i could pop easier with the tail.  I hope when i am fully recovered and when the tail eventually mellows a bit i could enjoy the deck with the thunders, or i will ride it with the nose as a tail.