Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 232164 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1020 on: September 03, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »
So good!

Another Real teamrider pro, with the shorter 8.28 x 31.7 deck and the line "The exact size and shape Harry skates", same as Mason.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1021 on: September 03, 2021, 05:14:19 PM »
So good!

Another Real teamrider pro, with the shorter 8.28 x 31.7 deck and the line "The exact size and shape Harry skates", same as Mason.

Weird on the Ace site it says he skates an 8.4 with 44s. That might be out of date

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1022 on: September 03, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote
So good!

[close]

Weird on the Ace site it says he skates an 8.4 with 44s. That might be out of date
Real put out one of those am boards with Harry's name on it in 8.4 maybe a couple of months before Mason got on and they started putting out the 8.28 heavily. He probably changed it up for the slightly tighter wheelbase. From what I understand, both of those are Julien shapes. It would have been cool to have somebody consistently put out an 8.4 with their name on it so there might be more in shops but the 8.28 seems really popular and the 8.4 is more of an AH shape anyway.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1023 on: September 03, 2021, 09:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So good!

[close]

[close]
Real put out one of those am boards with Harry's name on it in 8.4 maybe a couple of months before Mason got on and they started putting out the 8.28 heavily. He probably changed it up for the slightly tighter wheelbase. From what I understand, both of those are Julien shapes. It would have been cool to have somebody consistently put out an 8.4 with their name on it so there might be more in shops but the 8.28 seems really popular and the 8.4 is more of an AH shape anyway.

Ah makes sense thanks for clearing that up. I’ve never skated the 8.4 but I really dig the 8.28 shape. Definitely going to pick up his pro board

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1024 on: September 03, 2021, 09:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So good!

[close]

[close]

Back in 2018 I put aside this Real Donnelly (green / white graphic) 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb thinking it would be perfect and after finally set it up Jan 2019, I wondered why I had not set it up the day I got it.  It was perfect.  That size and shape along with the 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wb, often called the Mike Anderson shape, are still fairly common across the whole DLX range, but I think they often get overlooked.  It definitely skated much better than the 8.5 blue eagle, which I found just a touch too short, but that is just me.

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1025 on: September 06, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if the brown bomber shape will be continued in the future? That on 159s is my lazy day setup and it feels awesome.
[close]

@sammyz had a few of those and ended up selling them in favour of something more popsicle shaped, but I haven't seen anything to say they are coming back.

They had 14.25 wb, which is about .5" less than the "Blue Meanie" shaped eagle for much the same size in width (a little narrower and longer though).

The yellow "Beach Bum" might be an option if you liked shorter and wider for a fun board, or redrill the wheelbase on the "Blue Meanie" as another option.

I'm about to setup a Blue Menie tomorrow with some Aces. Stoked to try a little bigger board for change after some shorter boards. Were the first presses of shaped eagles more like transparent paint on the bottom also? It seems the current press is solid paint.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1026 on: September 06, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »

I'm about to setup a Blue Menie tomorrow with some Aces. Stoked to try a little bigger board for change after some shorter boards. Were the first presses of shaped eagles more like transparent paint on the bottom also? It seems the current press is solid paint.

Yes, sure did.

The last series before everything went sideways was the "overspray eagle" series, which had the top and bottom ply in the stained colour (in this case blue) and then the whole board was sprayed blue after that, before the eagle graphic was put on.

Unless you had one or have a really close up pic, it doesn't really show up well, but they have gone back to the more standard way, normal board with normal graphic applied.

These three were second hand from others clearing things out, which you can sort of see on the end of the kicks, but is difficult unless you have a big screen / zoom in a whole lot.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1027 on: September 07, 2021, 12:14:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if the brown bomber shape will be continued in the future? That on 159s is my lazy day setup and it feels awesome.
[close]

@sammyz had a few of those and ended up selling them in favour of something more popsicle shaped, but I haven't seen anything to say they are coming back.

They had 14.25 wb, which is about .5" less than the "Blue Meanie" shaped eagle for much the same size in width (a little narrower and longer though).

The yellow "Beach Bum" might be an option if you liked shorter and wider for a fun board, or redrill the wheelbase on the "Blue Meanie" as another option.

[close]

What Aces are you gonna pair it with? 44 classics? 55 AF1? 55 classics? 66 AF1?

I have a blue meanie waiting. Bought it thinking Ace would come out with an 8.75” truck which was strongly rumored but then it never happened and I dunno which Aces to skate the blue meanie with. Got all of the ones I listed above.  :)

pops

« Reply #1028 on: September 07, 2021, 01:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a blue meanie waiting. Bought it thinking Ace would come out with an 8.75” truck which was strongly rumored but then it never happened and I dunno which Aces to skate the blue meanie with. Got all of the ones I listed above.  :)

I'm going to use Af1 66, three washer rings outside, and see how they work with it. I also have the Af1 55s if I need to size down my axle width but so far I've had good luck with 66s and 8.75s and I'm sure it will work. I believe the Blue Meanie does not taper that much.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #1029 on: September 07, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm going to use Af1 66, three washer rings outside, and see how they work with it. I also have the Af1 55s if I need to size down my axle width but so far I've had good luck with 66s and 8.75s and I'm sure it will work. I believe the Blue Meanie does not taper that much.

Kinda interested in getting the beach bum for a liquor store cruiser board, and I wanted to get a set of aces with, would I be better off getting Indys? Since ace doesn’t make a big enough truck?
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

al_cvbrera

« Reply #1030 on: September 07, 2021, 08:31:23 AM »
So good!

YESSSSS. i love the 8.28 dlx shape. my board madness ended once i tried it out. not switching it up for a while because the 8.28 is that good.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: September 07, 2021, 10:13:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice! I'd be interested in hearing how you like it. If you remember can you post your impressions when you've skated it properly enough?

pops

« Reply #1032 on: September 07, 2021, 10:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice! I'd be interested in hearing how you like it. If you remember can you post your impressions when you've skated it properly enough?

Just put it together, stood on it at home but haven't skated it yet. It seems it tapers towards the tail to about 8.5" where the back axle is. I'm still not sure if I should put the 55s on this or not. Maybe I'll just skate it with 66s at first and decide then.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1033 on: September 07, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
Beach Bum is perfect on 161s/169s, so classic 55s or AF1 66s are probably the Aces you’re looking for.
SPB!

pops

« Reply #1034 on: September 07, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
Beach Bum is perfect on 161s/169s, so classic 55s or AF1 66s are probably the Aces you’re looking for.

Ok, I'm going with Af1 66s for now.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #1035 on: September 07, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »

Thanks my guy
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

pops

« Reply #1036 on: September 07, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry, replied to wrong post. @Roisto, I put the Af1 55s on that Blue Meanie and it looks so much better fitting. Put my af66s on my regular 8.75 popsicle.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1037 on: September 08, 2021, 01:23:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sorry, replied to wrong post. @Roisto, I put the Af1 55s on that Blue Meanie and it looks so much better fitting. Put my af66s on my regular 8.75 popsicle.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll try mine with the AF1 55s too. Haven’t skated those apart from a short 30 min test. Been mainly on the AF1 66s this summer with some wider boards.

pops

« Reply #1038 on: September 08, 2021, 01:58:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice. Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll try mine with the AF1 55s too. Haven’t skated those apart from a short 30 min test. Been mainly on the AF1 66s this summer with some wider boards.

Same for me, I generally like wider trucks but 55s seem like better fitting trucks for this deck.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #1039 on: September 08, 2021, 02:53:51 AM »
Anyone else here think it's a bit odd (putting it politely) that most DLX decks (with wheelbases above 14.25") don't match the geometry of Thunder trucks? For example Thunder trucks on an Ishod 8.3 TT feels way harder to manual compared to when paired with Indys or Ace. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:58:26 AM by Bigwheelbite »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1040 on: September 08, 2021, 04:47:26 AM »
Anyone else here think it's a bit odd (putting it politely) that most DLX decks (with wheelbases above 14.25") don't match the geometry of Thunder trucks? For example Thunder trucks on an Ishod 8.3 TT skates like shit and almost impossible to manual compared to when paired with Indys or Ace.
ishod
gewher
busenitz

keep it going
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1041 on: September 08, 2021, 06:08:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Same for me, I generally like wider trucks but 55s seem like better fitting trucks for this deck.

It is weird looking at the taper with the back trucks / wheels poking out, but I did find overall the slightly wider trucks were more stable on the Blue Meanie I have, with 159s.  Given there is no option in that size in Ace, as you said, going with the AF1 55s at 8.5+ (washers on the inside) fits better than 9- (washers on the outside), so it should work well, especially if you have slightly wider wheels that stick out a bit.

My normal setup is around the 8.38 to 8.5 deck on 149s with washers on the inside and classic full wheels, which sit nicely on the Blue Meanie when positioned above it to check it out too.

Given mine was already well used when I got it, I was almost tempted to shave the shoulders down a bit so it was more like a shaped 8.5 board, but it works well how it is, from the couple of skates I have had on it.

assvogel

• Rep: 195
« Reply #1042 on: September 08, 2021, 06:43:35 AM »
I went back to a Blue Meanie after skating 4 of those 9.81 Gonz Sweatpants in a row (though had one Polar 1992 between those because there weren't any boards over 8.5 available for a while).

Also had rails for the past 3 years, so I kinda wanted to have a "street board" for a change. The new Blue Meanie had solid paint compared to the previous ones I had which just had colored ply, took a while to do enough slides so the board didn't feel that sticky. But that could also be because I was so used to the rails.

I really like it, but I think it would be perfect if you shortened the wheelbase a bit, but left everything else like it was. I ride 159 indys with 55 Spitfire Classic, but i'd go for AF1 55's if I had Aces, because of the tapering.

pops

« Reply #1043 on: September 08, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It is weird looking at the taper with the back trucks / wheels poking out, but I did find overall the slightly wider trucks were more stable on the Blue Meanie I have, with 159s.  Given there is no option in that size in Ace, as you said, going with the AF1 55s at 8.5+ (washers on the inside) fits better than 9- (washers on the outside), so it should work well, especially if you have slightly wider wheels that stick out a bit.

My normal setup is around the 8.38 to 8.5 deck on 149s with washers on the inside and classic full wheels, which sit nicely on the Blue Meanie when positioned above it to check it out too.

Given mine was already well used when I got it, I was almost tempted to shave the shoulders down a bit so it was more like a shaped 8.5 board, but it works well how it is, from the couple of skates I have had on it.

I used two washers inside and ride 54mm conical fulls. They look great on that deck and I should be able to skate it tomorrow. I'll report back how it feels.

Oaf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #1044 on: September 08, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else here think it's a bit odd (putting it politely) that most DLX decks (with wheelbases above 14.25") don't match the geometry of Thunder trucks? For example Thunder trucks on an Ishod 8.3 TT skates like shit and almost impossible to manual compared to when paired with Indys or Ace.
[close]
ishod
gewher
busenitz

keep it going

100% unrideable combination.  These are similar,

Chima
Huf
Zion
Kwalks

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1045 on: September 08, 2021, 10:48:53 PM »

That's because Thunders suck.

Not to derail the thread, but I can't imagine a company that has been in bid'ness for how many years, and they still can't figure out how to make industry standard sized trucks, such that it causes multi-post consternation over which size to ride. Different is one thing. Stupid is another. Lot of turboclown going on over at Ace, IMHO.

But anyway, the 8.25/32/14.38...that is the DLX shape (to bring it back on topic).   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

HowMakeBoardFlip

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1046 on: September 09, 2021, 01:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not to derail the thread, but I can't imagine a company that has been in bid'ness for how many years, and they still can't figure out how to make industry standard sized trucks, such that it causes multi-post consternation over which size to ride. Different is one thing. Stupid is another. Lot of turboclown going on over at Ace, IMHO.

But anyway, the 8.25/32/14.38...that is the DLX shape (to bring it back on topic).

Agreed on that being the GOAT shape, glad DLX churns em out pretty regularly so I don't have to think too much every time I pick up a new one.

What trucks are you running out of curiosity? I've been on Indy's basically my whole skate "career" out of habit (+ change is scary), no complaints but figure it's probably time to try something else out.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1047 on: September 09, 2021, 06:11:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agreed on that being the GOAT shape, glad DLX churns em out pretty regularly so I don't have to think too much every time I pick up a new one.

What trucks are you running out of curiosity? I've been on Indy's basically my whole skate "career" out of habit (+ change is scary), no complaints but figure it's probably time to try something else out.

Indy Ti 144s.

I’ve tried Venture, Thunder, and both incarnations of Ace. And yeah, Indys. That’s where it’s at.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

pops

« Reply #1048 on: September 09, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »
Skated the Blue Meanie with Af1 55s for about two hours today. Took some time to get used to since I've skated only 14.25 and under wb decks. After an hour everything felt so good,. Very stable, quick and responsive turning, I could flip my deck just like before. Only small ramps felt kinda weird but I usually skate bigger ramps anyway. I never really like shaped boards before but something felt so right with this setup. I think the deck's length might have something to do with it. Great, great deck with Aces at least. Definitely would get it again.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1049 on: September 09, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »
Skated the Blue Meanie with Af1 55s for about two hours today. Took some time to get used to since I've skated only 14.25 and under wb decks. After an hour everything felt so good,. Very stable, quick and responsive turning, I could flip my deck just like before. Only small ramps felt kinda weird but I usually skate bigger ramps anyway. I never really like shaped boards before but something felt so right with this setup. I think the deck's length might have something to do with it. Great, great deck with Aces at least. Definitely would get it again.

Yeah, sweet!

So good when you find something that works like that too.

People I know have been enjoying riding their AF1 trucks and the felt good having a few laps round the park on their boards too, so I know what you are meaning.