Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225624 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #930 on: February 16, 2021, 02:24:51 AM »
Seen a few pics of his actual board, which is the production shape, as listed in the new Real catalog, but from doing so much in the skate industry for so long, the weirdest thing is most pro or spono dudes don't really know that much about their setups, or get simple things wrong when they say what they ride.

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2021/

Same board size as his first one too, as per this pic that TVV is riding.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #931 on: February 16, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
Yeah I figured that he didn't ride something that small.....it's nit picky but the primitive board I'm riding is a 14" BBS which I like....but they kinda run the same lay up, the kicks are in exactly the same spot as most BBS but they drop the holes back.  For some reason I don't think real does that....they do it proper no? 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #932 on: February 17, 2021, 06:55:51 AM »
Yeah I figured that he didn't ride something that small.....it's nit picky but the primitive board I'm riding is a 14" BBS which I like....but they kinda run the same lay up, the kicks are in exactly the same spot as most BBS but they drop the holes back.  For some reason I don't think real does that....they do it proper no?

I believe that is correct - definitely from what I have seen.

Some brands just use whatever molds for many of their boards, or only a few different molds for general sizes, but from having the 7.3 size Real boards with 12wb (for the juniors / tiny kids) through normal sizes 8, 8.25, 8.5 with 14 to 14.5 up to the bigger boards 8.75 and 9 with 14.75 to 15wb and even some of the much bigger boards like the 9.25 x 33+ with 15.5wb Grosso, the kicks are all in the right length to wheelbase and size of the boards.

There seems to be about 20 main production shapes for DLX boards, all correctly sized, then maybe up to 50 in total with all the Full this or Full SE that, not to mention all the one off specials too - too many to list right here, but it is amazing to look through pre covid catalogs, especially the bigger drops and there are so many boards, with so many different sizes, shapes, etc.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #933 on: February 17, 2021, 08:31:27 PM »
In most of Mason's vids from the past year he's riding the 8.28"x31.7"x14.12WB (and most of his pro boards come in that shape - from what I can tell based on riding them, they are super consistent compared to the other shapes...easily my favorite DLX shape these days...sad no 8.18 or 8.25 SE anymore but those true mids seem cool for smaller board dudes...not sure why they are true mids, whatever that means...true to scale maybe...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #934 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:02 AM »
Come to think of it for short boards, the red 8.12 in the team series is even shorter.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #935 on: February 22, 2021, 07:23:02 AM »
Can anyone give me a comparison of the 8.4 x 32 14.25 wb and the regular 8.5 x 31.8 14.25 wb shapes? I’ve skated the 8.5 for a while but I kind of want that new grimplestix hewitt deck. Just curious about how the 8.4 feels and what the shape is like because on paper the specs are so similar but there has to be a reason there is a separate shape

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #936 on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
Come to think of it for short boards, the red 8.12 in the team series is even shorter.

Stranger used to have his graphics on that shape. My fave length and wb. In a way, it’s a scaled up 7.75 on 129s, the 8.12 on 139s would have the same deck to axle width ratio

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: February 22, 2021, 02:26:51 PM »
Can anyone give me a comparison of the 8.4 x 32 14.25 wb and the regular 8.5 x 31.8 14.25 wb shapes? I’ve skated the 8.5 for a while but I kind of want that new grimplestix hewitt deck. Just curious about how the 8.4 feels and what the shape is like because on paper the specs are so similar but there has to be a reason there is a separate shape

This was my take on it, from a while back, but I used to always ride the AH black eagle 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb (mainly because it had such good nose and tail), but had the blue eagle 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb set up as a fun board but never really liked it, then when I changed it up and set up an 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb, same everything just a bit wider than the black eagle, I found it so much more comfortable (normal length tail, not short like the blue eagle).  Might be the smallest difference, but it made a huge difference to skate it, so I would say a definite YES to that shape.

My comment:

I often procrastinate to the point where my board, my shoes or whatever are well past where i should be skating them to, seeing as I have lots of everything, but tonight I finally pulled my finger out and set up a new one with the emphasis being on a longer tail. My old blue 8.5 eagle had such a short tail, but this new Real 8.4 is just what i needed. And sure enough I got ollie blunts within a few tries. I haven't done them in maybe twenty years. Happy days!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtN2ULPlWmf/

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #938 on: February 22, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This was my take on it, from a while back, but I used to always ride the AH black eagle 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb (mainly because it had such good nose and tail), but had the blue eagle 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb set up as a fun board but never really liked it, then when I changed it up and set up an 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb, same everything just a bit wider than the black eagle, I found it so much more comfortable (normal length tail, not short like the blue eagle).  Might be the smallest difference, but it made a huge difference to skate it, so I would say a definite YES to that shape.

My comment:

I often procrastinate to the point where my board, my shoes or whatever are well past where i should be skating them to, seeing as I have lots of everything, but tonight I finally pulled my finger out and set up a new one with the emphasis being on a longer tail. My old blue 8.5 eagle had such a short tail, but this new Real 8.4 is just what i needed. And sure enough I got ollie blunts within a few tries. I haven't done them in maybe twenty years. Happy days!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtN2ULPlWmf/

Thanks for all the feedback! Definitely want to try it out now. That looked like indys you were skating. I’m curious how the 8.4 will skate with venture. I’ll have to try out that Hewitt board if my local gets it in.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #939 on: February 22, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback! Definitely want to try it out now. That looked like indys you were skating. I’m curious how the 8.4 will skate with venture. I’ll have to try out that Hewitt board if my local gets it in.

Yes I had Indy, but I have Thunder on the old blue eagle now as a cruiser.

Ventures will skate well on it for sure.

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #940 on: February 23, 2021, 09:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stranger used to have his graphics on that shape. My fave length and wb. In a way, it’s a scaled up 7.75 on 129s, the 8.12 on 139s would have the same deck to axle width ratio

The best shape! The nose and tail length work well with thunder cast

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: February 23, 2021, 07:32:08 PM »

Another one too, tiny difference but the Anderson "Drama" deck from Krooked is 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, as per the new Krooked catalog:

Spring 2021, Drop 1, Delivery 1

https://krookedskateboarding.com/

Frank and Fred

« Reply #942 on: February 26, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: February 26, 2021, 08:24:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Another one too, tiny difference but the Anderson "Drama" deck from Krooked is 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, as per the new Krooked catalog:

Spring 2021, Drop 1, Delivery 1

https://krookedskateboarding.com/

That is really interesting a 14.25 wb on 8.38 I feel like that would be a great deck if the shape is the same as the normal 8.38. I always felt like the 14.5 wb was kinda long for an 8.38 but I know a lot of people swear by it

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #944 on: February 26, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
So does Krooked not do the custom pro shapes anymore or do they just not label them? I only see the specification on Bobby and Ronnie's boards. Mike's is the same size but is it the same shape as before?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: February 26, 2021, 06:53:02 PM »
That is really interesting a 14.25 wb on 8.38 I feel like that would be a great deck if the shape is the same as the normal 8.38. I always felt like the 14.5 wb was kinda long for an 8.38 but I know a lot of people swear by it

I still have a couple of the 8.4 / 8.38 x 32 (which is the same board really, not even a mm different in the few that I have) and they are so comfortable to ride, but to me the shorter wheelbase is not so good for how I skate.  The normal 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb seems like a much bigger and wider board overall, closer to 8.5 size, but again really only 1.5mm different in width from the other 8.4 shorter ones.

The shape on the shorter boards is a bit more rounded too, compared to my 8.38 bigger boards seem a bit more tapered in the kicks when I compare them, some more than others, but as you said, the wheelbase is the main thing that is so very different between them.  To ride one for a session, then to get on the other, no matter which one first, I really feel the difference in the turning and even the quick response from the shorter one, which is why I can see you would like it a lot more.  About 6mm difference makes a lot of difference.

So does Krooked not do the custom pro shapes anymore or do they just not label them? I only see the specification on Bobby and Ronnie's boards. Mike's is the same size but is it the same shape as before?

Maybe more so with covid production issues, so things like that might be minimal right now, but there were quite a few other non popsicle shapes in previous years, or are you referring more to the popsicle shape just different dimensions?

There is this one in the current list, barely any difference to the normal 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wheelbase, but the board might be different to see in person...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #946 on: March 05, 2021, 12:06:22 AM »
In most of Mason's vids from the past year he's riding the 8.28"x31.7"x14.12WB (and most of his pro boards come in that shape - from what I can tell based on riding them, they are super consistent compared to the other shapes...easily my favorite DLX shape these days...sad no 8.18 or 8.25 SE anymore but those true mids seem cool for smaller board dudes...not sure why they are true mids, whatever that means...true to scale maybe...

New drop with an 8.25 Full SE board for you...

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #947 on: March 06, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »
I just saw on tactics that the measurements for the 8.5 krooked gonz tracksuit are different than I’ve ever seen. 14 wb. Anyone know if these are just errors on the site?

Dan Gerous

« Reply #948 on: March 06, 2021, 06:33:15 PM »
I just saw on tactics that the measurements for the 8.5 krooked gonz tracksuit are different than I’ve ever seen. 14 wb. Anyone know if these are just errors on the site?
Probably a typo, it's 14.25 according to DLX.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #949 on: March 06, 2021, 10:02:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that’s what I thought except all the other measurements besides width are also different than the standard 8.5 shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: March 07, 2021, 05:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah that’s what I thought except all the other measurements besides width are also different than the standard 8.5 shape.

Two shapes in the 8.5

Normal OG shape 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wheelbase (used on most 8.5 decks for as long as I can remember)

Newer (shorter) 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wheelbase (also used on blue eagle since ages ago, but more commonly on all 8.5 decks)

Sometimes it is a real pain because some boards will come with one and some with the other, even in the DLX listings, that is the case.

See the two boards with 8.5 (not just because they are pro or pricepoint either) with the different shapes.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #951 on: March 07, 2021, 05:41:00 AM »
I have one of these from the last drop and seen and measured others too, even listed as the shorter one, the Real purple flower is 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wheelbase, (which I prefer anyway) so the size issue does happen.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #952 on: March 09, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »
Man, what is with the shortage of 14.25" WB in the DLX stable? Thin boards with long WB is just weird to me.

The DLX 8.5" is great tho, I really liked the last one I had.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #953 on: March 09, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
yea, their normal 8.06” with a 14.3” WB is very difficult for me to skate. But the i shod 8”X31.5” 14.3”WB I love.....so idk.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Fooj

« Reply #954 on: March 09, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
yea, their normal 8.06” with a 14.3” WB is very difficult for me to skate. But the i shod 8”X31.5” 14.3”WB I love.....so idk.

never got why they put such a long wheelbase on such a skinny board, but thats what cromer says he uses so i guess it works for some..

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #955 on: March 09, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »
Bummed on no 8.6 x 32.56 x 14.75 in the Spring '21 stuff.

wheee!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #956 on: March 10, 2021, 07:28:59 AM »
Bummed on no 8.6 x 32.56 x 14.75 in the Spring '21 stuff.

That is the normal cream eagle isn't it?

I thought I had seen some around, but maybe I have not and just thinking of my cream eagle 8.6 that I bought here just when I thought covid was going to give us all an uppercut.

Maybe use the DLXSF.com site "Hit us up" link, top right and ask.

Just read the blurb about the Real drop 2:

The newest delivery of fresh goods from the REAL crew, headed to skate shops now, including a Good Times board from Jack Olson (do we smell a new part in the works?), a Re-up on the Ishod Monarch Twin Tails (yes, we listened), the color-blocked inspired Eclipsing Series for Zion, Ishod and the team (that tee tho!) and a new one by request for K-Walks (with special raised ink embossing!).

DLXSF = rad dudes!!!!!

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #957 on: March 10, 2021, 05:59:39 PM »
Does anyone know if the Robbie Russo "Lusso" Shape, is similar to Franks shape in this catalogue

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring21/ah-2021-spring1-del1-04-updated.jpg

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2021, 09:24:44 PM »
Does anyone know if the Robbie Russo "Lusso" Shape, is similar to Franks shape in this catalogue

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring21/ah-2021-spring1-del1-04-updated.jpg

A bit more "normal" maybe, as in not quite so tapered and tiny in the tail, from the look at Tactics:

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/russo-scavengers-875-lusso-shape-skateboard-deck/brown

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
WIDTH (IN):   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   31.87
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.2
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.5

A good pic showing deck bolt holes and what seems like a more rounded tail, but it could just be me

Fooj

« Reply #959 on: March 12, 2021, 08:58:21 PM »
Anyone got details on this deck