Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233828 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1380 on: April 06, 2022, 08:56:50 PM »
Id love to know how the nose/tail measurements compare on the 8.38, the 8.38 Full SE, and the Dreamer 8.38.

I just got out two both new in shrink to compare - a Real Full SE 8.38 and the normal DLX 8.38, which is often listed as the Dreamer shape but really is just the normal 8.38 shape, so there are only the two options.

Nose on both is just over 7" when measured from the hook over the end of the board straight across (not with concave).

Tail on both is just a bit more over 6.5" when measured the same way, even though I had thought the normal 8.38 had closer to 6.6 tail with other boards I had skated before.

This adds up to what is listed with 7.03 nose and 6.53 tail from the Real Full SE info, as per their site:

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

The overall length differences relates to the wheelbase, with the nose and tails being what appears to be exactly the same, the Full SE being more full in the edges of the kicks than the normal shape but the width is the same as well, coming in at 8.4375 (8 7/16ths) across so a touch wider than 8.38 and a hair off 8.5 as per the same as what others have said before too.

Even though the math just doesn't quite add up, the Full SE is 14.38 wb and 32.18 long, the normal 8.38 being 14.5 wb with 32.25 total length which was about right as well.

Comparing both of those to other BBS 8.38 size boards, the Passport is a lot closer to 8.3 x 32 with 14.38 wb with a 6.8" nose and a 6.65" or slightly longer tail, so all round it is not as wide and a bit shorter too, but a slightly longer tail.

I also have a Baker normal 8.38 which is the same all round as the 8.38 normal DLX and a Baker B2 8.38 which is closer to the Real Full SE, in that it is more squared in the kicks, 14.38 wb, same size nose, again more like 8.3 wide than 8.38 but definitely a whole lot longer in the tail than all the rest, which reminds me of the AWS board shapes.

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

Maybe too much info, but I was curious while I had all of them to compare and see what they were like, what differences, what similarities and all the rest.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1381 on: April 06, 2022, 09:03:08 PM »
The nose on the 8.38 FullSE is considerably more rounded/pointy than the 8.5 FullSE. Not necessarily a bad thing but good to know if you are looking for that square shape. 8.5 on the left, 8.38 on the right. The tails are very similar, just the nose is different.

EDIT: For those that were asking/care, the 8.38 measures 8.4375 (8-7/16") and the 8.5 measures 8.625 (8-5/8") at their widest points.

Thanks that 8.5 looks like the real deal, the amount of room flat from holes to kick and how full it is, makes me adjust less with so much room
yes

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1382 on: April 06, 2022, 09:24:23 PM »
@Mbrimson88 When I can gnar you someday I will. The Passport shape is closest to what I have been on and the other shape I have liked is the DLX 8.25, but curious to explore.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1383 on: April 06, 2022, 09:59:17 PM »
@Mbrimson88 When I can gnar you someday I will. The Passport shape is closest to what I have been on and the other shape I have liked is the DLX 8.25, but curious to explore.

Yeah, all good!

That is why I added those others in too, as I knew what you had skated as well as asking about the 8.38 boards.

I don't have half as many of the other BBS brands in similar sizes as I have seen online or that others have skated, but even just some of the same approximate sized boards still have significant differences, which come down to a few mm this way or that, but it still makes such a difference between a good skate and an average skate.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1384 on: April 07, 2022, 01:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Are there any Deluxe shapes out there that are similar to the Quasi Proto? It's an 8.25, 31.75'' long with a 14.25'' wheelbase and pretty square.
[close]

I’ve somehow not had this board. Worth it? Huge ps fanboy, or something. Skating a quasi now, 8.125 that I’m very into.

The dlx 8.125…is that the one Drehobl used to use? I feel like there was one that some of the locals would ride with 149s, shorter shape. Worrest had a setup video that I’ve watched way too many times, on a combination like that (one of the best switch tres…dude is still amazing, back then he was really doing it).

I absolutely love this shape. It's been my last 4-5 boards. I had one that was slightly more tapered than others and was not a fan, but it seemed to be a one off and I had ordered it online.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1385 on: April 07, 2022, 02:35:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are there any Deluxe shapes out there that are similar to the Quasi Proto? It's an 8.25, 31.75'' long with a 14.25'' wheelbase and pretty square.
[close]

I’ve somehow not had this board. Worth it? Huge ps fanboy, or something. Skating a quasi now, 8.125 that I’m very into.

The dlx 8.125…is that the one Drehobl used to use? I feel like there was one that some of the locals would ride with 149s, shorter shape. Worrest had a setup video that I’ve watched way too many times, on a combination like that (one of the best switch tres…dude is still amazing, back then he was really doing it).
[close]

I absolutely love this shape. It's been my last 4-5 boards. I had one that was slightly more tapered than others and was not a fan, but it seemed to be a one off and I had ordered it online.

The proto 8.25 has been your go to?

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #1386 on: April 08, 2022, 10:27:35 PM »
This thing looks great

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1387 on: April 09, 2022, 12:57:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The proto 8.25 has been your go to?

yeah that's correct

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1388 on: April 10, 2022, 02:34:23 AM »
Do all Cardiel 8.62 popsicles have a 32.25 length and 14.5 WB? Normally they're like 32.5 long and have a 14.75 WB?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1389 on: April 10, 2022, 12:32:07 PM »
https://www.tactics.com/there/james-apartment-83-skateboard-deck

My local has this deck, but it doesn’t have the Roman Numerals on it and it’s not the generic BBS 8.38. Anyone know what shop they mighta been on before or is it the DLX shape without the numbers

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1390 on: April 10, 2022, 01:13:36 PM »

My local has this deck, but it doesn’t have the Roman Numerals on it and it’s not the generic BBS 8.38. Anyone know what shop they mighta been on before or is it the DLX shape without the numbers

I feel like when I checked the first stuff on line, it said bbs, but that’s just from vague memory

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1391 on: April 10, 2022, 03:23:55 PM »
Do all Cardiel 8.62 popsicles have a 32.25 length and 14.5 WB? Normally they're like 32.5 long and have a 14.75 WB?

I have the Cardiel Burro 8.62 deck, just measured the wheelbase at 14.625”. That’s consistent with the specs listed on tactics too. If I remember correctly, the sticker on the packaging said 14.5”. Either way the difference between 14.5 and 14.6 is not noticeable.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1392 on: April 10, 2022, 04:57:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like when I checked the first stuff on line, it said bbs, but that’s just from vague memory

The nose looks a lot more square on that one in the pic too, but it could just be my eye.

Says it is 14.5 wb which is fairly common, but everything else about it looks more like a Polar board or the DLX 8.5 shape, but that is just from looking at the pic from Tactics.

At least if it is in stock at a local shop, get that old board and tape measure and see if it is really what it says from the site in terms of dimensions and Warning sticker, which usually always has "Made in Mexico" for BBS boards.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1393 on: April 10, 2022, 05:04:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have the Cardiel Burro 8.62 deck, just measured the wheelbase at 14.625”. That’s consistent with the specs listed on tactics too. If I remember correctly, the sticker on the packaging said 14.5”. Either way the difference between 14.5 and 14.6 is not noticeable.

The Cardiel shape is a special shorter one, different from the normal longer 8.62 with long wheelbase, but there was some confusion over the sticker and actual dimensions, so it is good to have someone who has it to check.

Even on the latest catalog listing, it has 14.5 wb for that board, but as you said, riding one with 14.5 or 14.6 wb is not a whole lot of difference.

They used to have that specific sticker for the Cardiel shape too, so I don't know if that is still around or not.

Yes they are only 32.25 as well, not 32.7 something which is what the long 8.62 DLX boards actually are.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1394 on: April 10, 2022, 06:08:32 PM »
Didn’t these have a sticker on them that said something like ‘hecka tight construction’? The sticker was different than the measurements listed in the catalog. At first I thought it was a typo, then, if my not great memory is correct, the sticker and the catalog continued to be different. Maybe it was them taking the piss? Dunno.
I had one of those boards, early pandemic. Definitely wasn’t ‘right’. Felt much lighter than a normal bbs, and was dull from the jump. I also just didn’t spend enough time adjusting to a board that’s not even close to a size I have had a good experience with. Turns out I am fine with longer wb, but really struggle with boards over 32” (personal problem). I also bought the board to skate a near by bowl, and then promptly tried to do 360 flips for a few days straight instead of trying to learn how to ride the bowl.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1395 on: April 10, 2022, 06:30:42 PM »
Didn’t these have a sticker on them that said something like ‘hecka tight construction’? The sticker was different than the measurements listed in the catalog. At first I thought it was a typo, then, if my not great memory is correct, the sticker and the catalog continued to be different. Maybe it was them taking the piss? Dunno.
I had one of those boards, early pandemic. Definitely wasn’t ‘right’. Felt much lighter than a normal bbs, and was dull from the jump. I also just didn’t spend enough time adjusting to a board that’s not even close to a size I have had a good experience with. Turns out I am fine with longer wb, but really struggle with boards over 32” (personal problem). I also bought the board to skate a near by bowl, and then promptly tried to do 360 flips for a few days straight instead of trying to learn how to ride the bowl.

Ha yes the bowl board doesn't want to 360 flip.... FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!

Page 28 on here had something about it after a search that came up on Google.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.810

Fall 2020 catalog pic:

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1396 on: April 10, 2022, 07:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Missin that 8.28… dream shape
[close]
its Julien Strangers shape. No wonder it’s magical.
[close]

Is this 8.28 shape different from the one that is usually masons pro model ?
[close]
Same shape. I want to try it again but I’m scared to switch from the G045

If you want a true 8.28 (or 8.27) with essentially the same dims for length/WB/N/T as the DLX '8.28' look to SC - great shape.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1397 on: April 11, 2022, 07:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The nose looks a lot more square on that one in the pic too, but it could just be my eye.

Says it is 14.5 wb which is fairly common, but everything else about it looks more like a Polar board or the DLX 8.5 shape, but that is just from looking at the pic from Tactics.

At least if it is in stock at a local shop, get that old board and tape measure and see if it is really what it says from the site in terms of dimensions and Warning sticker, which usually always has "Made in Mexico" for BBS boards.

It’s super weird- it has no stickers on it at all. Just the dot between the trucks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1398 on: April 11, 2022, 06:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s super weird- it has no stickers on it at all. Just the dot between the trucks.

This one has the normal warning sticker, but I also know a lot of brands pull off the Generator stickers when they don't get their BBS boards directly from BBS, but through a second tier distro who uses Generator boards for their stock, which I would think was most likely the case for the early There boards, as they were not a big brand.

Either way it is not a big deal, most likely the dot being the usual BBS wood, generic shape or whatever - earlier than the newer ones as per the normal BBS warning sticker on that board from the Tactics pic.

*  Sorry that pic really does come up almost too big here, but it also makes it really easy to check out the size and shape of the kicks, which I like the look of and makes me think I would be happy riding a 14.5 wb with a slightly longer tail and shorter nose too, if those dimensions are correct.

WIDTH (IN):   8.3
LENGTH (IN):   32.125
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.75

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:05:10 PM by Woodshop »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1399 on: April 11, 2022, 08:31:49 PM »

I gnar'd him for ya. But that takes away from my normal gnaring of him ;)

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1400 on: April 11, 2022, 10:58:05 PM »

Hey @Mbrimson88 if you hit quote on my post and check out the code I put in the first brackets of your image I quoted you'll find a way to make images smaller when the page loads but that still expands if the reader wants to see the full thing. They just have to click on it and it displays full res on the loaded page. I usually use 400 but it seemed kinda big still.

Basically you want something like [img width=200] where you paste width=whatever number in the first brackets. Hopefully this makes any kind of sense!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1401 on: April 12, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »
Hey @Mbrimson88 if you hit quote on my post and check out the code I put in the first brackets of your image I quoted you'll find a way to make images smaller when the page loads but that still expands if the reader wants to see the full thing. They just have to click on it and it displays full res on the loaded page. I usually use 400 but it seemed kinda big still.

Basically you want something like [img width=200] where you paste width=whatever number in the first brackets. Hopefully this makes any kind of sense!

Yeah that is perfect.

Especially as you can click on the image and it will bring it up to full size if you want to see it bigger too.

I know I post a lot of tops of boards, so this might help with things not blowing out to maximum proportions when people just want to see what is happening in threads, not get bombarded with deck after deck after deck, etc.

Stoked to be able to help keep this place as good as it can be too.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1402 on: April 13, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »
Anyone have an idea if they’re going to continue the Mason Silva 8.28 shape. Feel like every time DLX has come out with a short board I get really used to it, but they stop making it after a couple drops. Happened with the Kanfoush shaped boards too. Also interested if anyone one has suggestions for a similar shape between 8.25 and 8.5.
L: 31.7”
WB: 14.2”

An 8.38” would be perfect in those specs but beggars can’t be choosers and I wonder if it’s just a small minority of people who like boards this wide with shorter wheel base/ length?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1403 on: April 13, 2022, 10:08:25 AM »
Anyone have an idea if they’re going to continue the Mason Silva 8.28 shape. Feel like every time DLX has come out with a short board I get really used to it, but they stop making it after a couple drops. Happened with the Kanfoush shaped boards too. Also interested if anyone one has suggestions for a similar shape between 8.25 and 8.5.

An 8.38” would be perfect in those specs but beggars can’t be choosers and I wonder if it’s just a small minority of people who like boards this wide with shorter wheel base/ length?

It’s an old Julien Stranger shape so I’d think it stick around. Maybe not very drop but I doubt it’s going anywhere for good.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1404 on: April 13, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s an old Julien Stranger shape so I’d think it stick around. Maybe not very drop but I doubt it’s going anywhere for good.

Just out of curiosity, how tall is the god Julien? His shapes have usually been shorter.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1405 on: April 13, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »
There are a few different 8.28s coming over the course of the next few months. They will either be Mason or Harry Lintell boards as they now seem to share that shape.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1406 on: April 13, 2022, 12:26:02 PM »
Occasionally antihero runs that shape as well. Would be curious to know who all skates that shape on the different dlx teams. Seems like it would be a popular shape.

Also just for a fun reference. Anyone who has complained about how squirrely that shape is for them, mason says in a recent ccs video that his shoe size is 7.5. He’s got tons of room on that deck with that size feet

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1407 on: April 13, 2022, 06:22:03 PM »
the mason deck i’m riding is 8.5”… how?
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1408 on: April 13, 2022, 06:34:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just out of curiosity, how tall is the god Julien? His shapes have usually been shorter.

When they all came out to AU for the Tent City tour, with the in store signing and then almost a week skating around at local places, we saw quite a bit of them and they are all very much on the small body, short dude scale.

That was Julien, Tony T, Tony M, John, Frank, with Max among others.

I don't have exact measurements, but I would say about 165 to 170 cm which rounds out about 5 ft 5 or 6 in.

There doesn't seem to be any info out there at all with that stuff.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1409 on: April 13, 2022, 06:39:55 PM »
the mason deck i’m riding is 8.5”… how?

Most pro boards come in a few sizes, mainly to cater to all the skaters out there who want their board, so some like the last lot were in 8.12 and 8.5 for the Mason Jawbreaker deck.

The pro guy might ride one board, but if they only released boards in his size and shape for the general public, that is cutting out a lot of possible sales to other skaters who like the guy but don't ride that same size and shape.  Many companies will rotate through different sizes and shapes for different riders, so I would say that every guy on the team will have a board released with their name on it in 8.5 over the course of a few catalogs, even if no one on the whole team ride that size or shape board.

Was that what you were asking?