Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225764 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1470 on: May 28, 2022, 06:06:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know Real does those "Full" shapes. Do any other DLX brands do "Full" shapes?
[close]
THERE has used the 8.25 FULL a couple times since they've been brought into DLX.  Other than that, at least for the time being, they're specific to Real.
[close]

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think I might grab my first Real deck during these sales.

EDIT: Actually I think I'll hold off... their current 8.5 Full/Full SE decks look so lame.
[close]

Graphic issues aside, some shops would have stock from a previous drop or even earlier, so don't just go by what is in the current catalogs.  Check to see what is in the shops that might be on sale.

I know some of the best shapes don't have graphics that I agree with either, but when I think I could get the right size, shape and wood, the pretty picture on it comes second every time.

That is just me though.
[close]

Thanks I always appreciate your insight.

I'm bummed Anti Hero doesn't make that shape because they usually have a bit better graphics.

Hell I would take just the Real logo in the full shape.
[close]

Antihero has had a whole bunch of decks on the full shapes. Not sure about full SE as I don’t like short wheelbases. I still have two Antihero fulls in my stack. I feel overall DLX has made way less fulls lately and they’ve almost all been full SE.

I have more than a few Full shaped boards from all three DLX brands from back before the pandemic and all those issues, pretty much all in 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 sizes.  Funny cause I get them out and compare from time to time, but I still haven't gone through the Full boards I have currently set up so they can stay there until needed.  Also there doesn't seem to be any more of any of those coming either.  It might seem silly, but that is also why I am not in a hurry to set up any of these others, as I am riding shapes I know are still current so I can keep getting more and not have to change anything between each of the same boards.

The last one might have been an AH 8.25 Full Taylor or even a Grosso 8.75 Full which is a beast, but a good board all the same.

As for the Full SE shapes, I don't recall seeing any apart from the Real boards, so there might have been a decision to only have those as Real and not AH or Krooked, as they have their own shapes and variations for riders or team boards.

With the trend of shorter boards with shorter wheelbases, the Full SE (Short Edition) and others with even shorter wb look like the only ones besides the standard shapes and lines coming out in the future, which I think I have said already, but who knows what might happen down the track.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MalHuis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #1471 on: May 30, 2022, 07:14:44 AM »
Need some advice on a Krooked 8.38x32.25x14.5

Went to the shop to get the 8.44 hockey but this shape had me, Hockey just looked way to steep/short compared to the Krooked, plus Krooked vs Hockey...

Not keen to jump around and get the feel for what will work best.

Any of you skated this shape before/have any experience? Ace AF1, indy Ti or thunders teams? I've been on the thunder kick with a quasi but somehow feel this shape will work best with the aces....

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #1472 on: May 30, 2022, 08:28:45 AM »

Went to the shop to get the 8.44 hockey but this shape had me, Hockey just looked way to steep/short compared to the Krooked, plus Krooked vs Hockey...

Any of you skated this shape before/have any experience? Ace AF1, indy Ti or thunders teams? I've been on the thunder kick with a quasi but somehow feel this shape will work best with the aces....
I have rode that shape a few times on independent standards and it is one of my favorites. You should try it on the Ace first and if it doesn't feel good try it on the Indy.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1473 on: May 30, 2022, 09:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have rode that shape a few times on independent standards and it is one of my favorites. You should try it on the Ace first and if it doesn't feel good try it on the Indy.

Was gonna say the same thing, had a Anti Hero with those same dims and it was really good on Indys. I'm guessing it will be as good if not better on Aces.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #1474 on: May 30, 2022, 10:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Was gonna say the same thing, had a Anti Hero with those same dims and it was really good on Indys. I'm guessing it will be as good if not better on Aces.
I second the idea to use Indys. I've had this shape a few times and I've run Indy Standard, Indy Standard Hollow, and Indy Forged Hollow - all with positive experiences on each!
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1475 on: May 30, 2022, 01:32:18 PM »

I've skated 3 of these shapes in a row on Indy Cast Hollow and liked it. 54mm Classic Fulls. There should be some pics of mine in the setup thread. The Baker I have is a slightly less full version or it's all in my head.

I mean, no one on Krooked skates Ace's. I'm not even sure who skates it at all since it's pretty big, but most of the team skates Thunders with 3 dudes on Venture and Ronnie on Ace. Dunno what Sebo rides. So, it'll probably be cool with whatever

MalHuis

« Reply #1476 on: May 31, 2022, 01:02:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've skated 3 of these shapes in a row on Indy Cast Hollow and liked it. 54mm Classic Fulls. There should be some pics of mine in the setup thread. The Baker I have is a slightly less full version or it's all in my head.

I mean, no one on Krooked skates Ace's. I'm not even sure who skates it at all since it's pretty big, but most of the team skates Thunders with 3 dudes on Venture and Ronnie on Ace. Dunno what Sebo rides. So, it'll probably be cool with whatever

Haha thanks for the insight guys. Probs gonna give the ace a go but otherwise its the Indy Ti with some risers if the ace works out to be to much effort.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1477 on: May 31, 2022, 01:53:21 AM »
Doesn't Eddy Cernicky ride Ace? He's on Krooked and might even skate that 8.38 with Aces unless he's on Thunder via the Deluxe package like many skaters get.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1478 on: May 31, 2022, 02:47:54 AM »
It’s the same shape for Real and Antihero also. Not sure if anyone in the teams ride it on Aces though. I’ve had several of these boards and I remember liking it on Indys when I still skated those but not getting along with it on Ace Classics for some reason. It’s been a few years though and I was recovering from a broken leg so it could have been many other things also. Got a few in my stack I’m gonna skate with Ace Classics or AF1s at some point but definitely not soon enough to give any useful input for this occasion.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1479 on: May 31, 2022, 03:34:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Haha thanks for the insight guys. Probs gonna give the ace a go but otherwise its the Indy Ti with some risers if the ace works out to be to much effort.

It is my regular DLX go to for shape, so I have had a lot of them.

I usually ride Indy 149 trucks, but I also have tried Venture 5.8, Thunder 149 and Ace 44 classics on them too with no issues, currently a set of AF1 55s on one board and it skates well (no risers on Indy standards but 1 to 2 mm risers on the other lower trucks).

Overall it just works well for me, but I am a bit taller than average and I like the dimensions along with how everything sits, medium sized wheels (usually something similar to conical full 54 or 54 to 56 classics), comfortable with that flush wheel to truck to deck ratio.

Other people I know ride them on Indy 144s or Venture 5.6s and they like that for the street / rail / tech setup too.

Besides DLX, that same shape is used by quite a number of other companies that use BBS wood, so if you like it, there are a good number of options including Baker and others.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #1480 on: May 31, 2022, 04:42:09 AM »
Doesn't Eddy Cernicky ride Ace? He's on Krooked and might even skate that 8.38 with Aces unless he's on Thunder via the Deluxe package like many skaters get.
He's on venture my guy.

MalHuis

« Reply #1481 on: May 31, 2022, 05:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It is my regular DLX go to for shape, so I have had a lot of them.

I usually ride Indy 149 trucks, but I also have tried Venture 5.8, Thunder 149 and Ace 44 classics on them too with no issues, currently a set of AF1 55s on one board and it skates well (no risers on Indy standards but 1 to 2 mm risers on the other lower trucks).

Overall it just works well for me, but I am a bit taller than average and I like the dimensions along with how everything sits, medium sized wheels (usually something similar to conical full 54 or 54 to 56 classics), comfortable with that flush wheel to truck to deck ratio.

Other people I know ride them on Indy 144s or Venture 5.6s and they like that for the street / rail / tech setup too.

Besides DLX, that same shape is used by quite a number of other companies that use BBS wood, so if you like it, there are a good number of options including Baker and others.

Yeah shape looks perfect. Haven't set her up yet. My current still has 1-2 sessions in her.

So you have risers on your current AF1 55s?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1482 on: May 31, 2022, 06:16:18 AM »

Yeah shape looks perfect. Haven't set her up yet. My current still has 1-2 sessions in her.

Super thin rubber about 1 mm is all and it works well on the AF1 55s.

My truck experience has been based on what I can get away with, more so than what I think I might need to lift, so coming from Indy standard trucks, no risers (just a sticker on the deck under the baseplate) to trying the same with the other brands, then finding Thunder needed a couple of mm in extra height, Venture was almost there but 1 mm was good, then Ace being about the same 1 mm as well.  I could have just gone for the 1/8" riser of whatever brand, but I felt that lifted things a little too much for what I wanted, so went the DIY approach instead.

I tend to cut up rubber material or use these thin reasonably hard rubber risers I bought a ton of back when I could get them, as I used them under Indy Stage 9 trucks and others, back in the day.  Overall any trucks end up being just under Indy Stage 11 standard height (55 mm) which works perfectly for me, on any board with up to 58 mm wheels, then the least possible after that.

More so now, some people cut up bike tubes, or get some rubber sheet offcuts and cut them up easily enough, as there are not really the super thin risers on the market any more, or if they are around, they are rather hard to get.  I don't think much of the ultra thin foam type ones as they flatten out to nothing anyway.

I would say try whatever you have first, even go no risers and see, then if needed cut up a bit of cardboard and use that just to see how much height you need, or if you have risers, try them, otherwise a bike tube is very easy to cut up and punch or cut deck bolt holes or slits in to use under the trucks and that is all you might need.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1483 on: May 31, 2022, 06:47:53 AM »

Eddie rides for Venture and I think has a short Venture part.

MalHuis

« Reply #1484 on: May 31, 2022, 08:19:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Super thin rubber about 1 mm is all and it works well on the AF1 55s.

My truck experience has been based on what I can get away with, more so than what I think I might need to lift, so coming from Indy standard trucks, no risers (just a sticker on the deck under the baseplate) to trying the same with the other brands, then finding Thunder needed a couple of mm in extra height, Venture was almost there but 1 mm was good, then Ace being about the same 1 mm as well.  I could have just gone for the 1/8" riser of whatever brand, but I felt that lifted things a little too much for what I wanted, so went the DIY approach instead.

I tend to cut up rubber material or use these thin reasonably hard rubber risers I bought a ton of back when I could get them, as I used them under Indy Stage 9 trucks and others, back in the day.  Overall any trucks end up being just under Indy Stage 11 standard height (55 mm) which works perfectly for me, on any board with up to 58 mm wheels, then the least possible after that.

More so now, some people cut up bike tubes, or get some rubber sheet offcuts and cut them up easily enough, as there are not really the super thin risers on the market any more, or if they are around, they are rather hard to get.  I don't think much of the ultra thin foam type ones as they flatten out to nothing anyway.

I would say try whatever you have first, even go no risers and see, then if needed cut up a bit of cardboard and use that just to see how much height you need, or if you have risers, try them, otherwise a bike tube is very easy to cut up and punch or cut deck bolt holes or slits in to use under the trucks and that is all you might need.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah will defs go vanilla Ace for now and start tweaking from there. Will give you guys a shout on which set i end up with and share my experience.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1485 on: May 31, 2022, 04:05:53 PM »
Thanks for the correction on Eddy! Could have sworn he was  on Ace... must be thinking of someone else I thought was getting Krooked and Ace (not Ronnie) ???
Super Champion Fun Zone

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1486 on: May 31, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »
Ended up grabbing a 8.5 Full SE with a lame graphic... It's not the worst thing ever, but not my style... Going to just blast the deck with stickers I think... Hopefully I like the shape

There's things I like about this Quasi but it's not the deck for me. High hopes for this one!
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1487 on: May 31, 2022, 04:29:11 PM »
Ended up grabbing a 8.5 Full SE with a lame graphic... It's not the worst thing ever, but not my style... Going to just blast the deck with stickers I think... Hopefully I like the shape

There's things I like about this Quasi but it's not the deck for me. High hopes for this one!

Before you grip it, note the stamped number on top - I steepest to IV least concave - as that can also be an important thing for future DLX boards.

I like mellow IV options more so than I or II but I know others are all about that concave and prefer I stamped boards when they can get them.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1488 on: May 31, 2022, 04:39:41 PM »
Yeah good call. I'm also afraid because I don't want to get madness about that. I'm going to make sure I take note out of curiosity but not dwell on it too much.

Edit: ...or I could extra dwell on it and make a window in my grip tape specifically for the Roman numeral and force an unhealthy OCD fixation onto myself. Maybe draw that Roman numeral all over the grip tape... Just really fuck with my head a bit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:56:28 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

VarialDisease

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1489 on: June 06, 2022, 09:25:14 AM »
These rule. Wish they were produced regularly.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1490 on: June 06, 2022, 10:25:12 AM »

I almost did this 2 weeks ago, ended up going with a polar instead. I want to try a Full SE but the graphics are always fucking miserable...

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1491 on: June 06, 2022, 12:04:41 PM »

This shape looks so rad. Is it out again now?
Drehobl is the man.
IG: @flowterspace

nevrwasben

« Reply #1492 on: June 06, 2022, 12:54:53 PM »

What are the details on the middle/left??

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1493 on: June 06, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
all three boards are the same shape
listed at 9.25/31.8/14.25 or 14.75wb
nose either 6.75 or 7.125 and tail is 6.375
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

nevrwasben

« Reply #1494 on: June 06, 2022, 08:26:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
all three boards are the same shape
listed at 9.25/31.8/14.25 or 14.75wb
nose either 6.75 or 7.125 and tail is 6.375
Oh snap, ok; thanks for the reply!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1495 on: June 06, 2022, 08:55:01 PM »

Yup! I had that Hockey and hated it, gave it to a buddy and he killed the shit outta it. I like that 8.38 as it doesn't feel big, but is nice and long and stable. Great pop! Indy Standard Hollows. Personally I'd try it on Indys and Thunders, Ventures would be stupid long and I dunno, AF1 aren't that different than Indy so those work too but I've seen a fuck ton of people with crumbling AF1 bushings recently

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1496 on: June 06, 2022, 08:56:33 PM »

I've been interested in this shape but haven't tried it for this reason. I don't want to be tied to a shape that I will never really truly enjoy looking down at. The Polar shapes are similar enough I'd grab one of those if I wanted 14.38 and a bigger nose

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1497 on: June 07, 2022, 07:13:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This shape looks so rad. Is it out again now?
Drehobl is the man.

I had to check if it was in the latest catalog, but yes it is the current board that is out, first in a couple of years I think, the last one being the drop or two before the pandemic hit and turned everything to generic shapes and sizes to get everyone through.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2022/

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #1498 on: June 07, 2022, 07:17:19 AM »
Man I wish Grimplestix would make more decks around 8.75-9". Since the new video I've been fiending to get a Grimple deck but I prefer to ride wider decks. I've been wanting one so bad I've even thought about sizing down to 149s just to ride one.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1499 on: June 10, 2022, 01:20:18 PM »
Man I wish Grimplestix would make more decks around 8.75-9". Since the new video I've been fiending to get a Grimple deck but I prefer to ride wider decks. I've been wanting one so bad I've even thought about sizing down to 149s just to ride one.

You're in luck, newest drop has a grimple deck in 8.85 the new Jimmy Wilkins shape. Not sure how you feel about 15 wb but this shape seems killer for skating bigger transition. Might give it a try myself as I'm getting back into skating bigger bowls more.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/hewitt-grimple-on-vacation-885-skateboard-deck/blue