Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233499 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2130 on: November 05, 2023, 04:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote

My absolute favorite shape. Just perfect.

Though… the newest catalogue doesn’t have many. I sure hope they aren’t phasing the “dreamer” shape out :(
[close]

Ha no I don't think it is going any time soon.

It is almost the most common / main shape a lot of their guys ride, but I also think they go through cycles of certain shapes more than others, so when people really want something like an 8.12 or an 8.28 shape, they will do a few of those and less of the other ones for a minute.

Regardless of graphic, there will always be the AH green eagle, the Real white oval and the Krooked eyes boards in rotation, but there already show half a dozen (maybe more in drop 2 from them).

Fall 2023 8.38 shape:

AH (drop 1 and 2)
Hewitt pigeon grimple
Pfanner Cityscapes
Green eagle

Real (only drop 1)
Patrick Silk
White oval

Krooked (only drop 1)
Cernciky Inferno

Almost forgot this one too, on sale down to $59.50

https://www.unityzines.com/product-page-yt8xe/labels-8-38

"Labels" 8.38
 $70.00 Regular Price
$59.50 Sale Price

8.38 x 32.25 WB14.5 Dreamer shape
Sick, thanks. Can always count on the oval, true

It’s interesting though… I barely ever see the ovals in shops. Maybe they get snatched up quick, or the shops just want to get the pro decks… I don’t think I’ve ever seen a white oval in person before. Strangely enough.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2131 on: November 05, 2023, 05:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Though… the newest catalogue doesn’t have many. I sure hope they aren’t phasing the “dreamer” shape out :(
[close]

It is almost the most common / main shape a lot of their guys ride, but I also think they go through cycles of certain shapes more than others, so when people really want something like an 8.12 or an 8.28 shape, they will do a few of those and less of the other ones for a minute.

Regardless of graphic, there will always be the AH green eagle, the Real white oval and the Krooked eyes boards in rotation, but there already show half a dozen (maybe more in drop 2 from them).

Fall 2023 8.38 shape:

AH (drop 1 and 2)
Hewitt pigeon grimple
Pfanner Cityscapes
Green eagle

Real (only drop 1)
Patrick Silk
White oval

Krooked (only drop 1)
Cernciky Inferno

"Labels" 8.38
 $70.00 Regular Price
$59.50 Sale Price

[close]

It’s interesting though… I barely ever see the ovals in shops. Maybe they get snatched up quick, or the shops just want to get the pro decks… I don’t think I’ve ever seen a white oval in person before. Strangely enough.
Eagles instead of Ovals seems to be the shop thing. The ovals underwent a shape update to some shorter wheelbases a couple of years ago so they're not 1:1 but I figure the big online retailers seem to always keep the ovals in stock at least. That may even be by design so that those big warehouses can get backfilled and sit on stock to some degree while DLX keeps their fresher graphics on the same shapes pumping through the shops where they have to stand out on a board wall.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2132 on: November 05, 2023, 05:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Real also has www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Walker_Canopy_Slick_Deck/descpage-RLKWCPDK.html (custom mellow concave slick bottom) and https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Wair_On_Lock_Deck/descpage-RLWOLKDK.html (standard dreamer shape)
[close]

Yeah there are still a lot of them out there from previous drops too, so even if they don't list dimensions correctly, as per the Walker deck on SW, it is still the same board.

The curious thing is with those mellow boards, some people have seen them and say they are no different to the other R1 boards, so who knows.  At least that one is a slick too, so that would make it stand out a bit more.  Not going to comment on the graphic at all either.

I get them for the wood and the shape first, graphic last in the order of interests, but there has often been significant differences in concave between some of the 8.38 boards, almost like some runs / stock are on a mellow mold, more so than the normal one, which I prefer.

I posted this a while back, but it is relevant now too:

Expand Quote

More just for curiosity than anything else.

Here's the Real 8.38 mellow mold board, on the bottom, against another Real 8.38 and two Antihero 8.38 olive eagles.

All four of them are the same shape and dimensions, just the bottom one is so much flatter throughout.

[close]

Also sick. That mellow mold looks like a (IV) green eagle I got once and had to give away after one session because it felt like I was on a flat 2x4. It was the strangest thing I’ve ever skated: obviously it would pop, but it felt like there was no concave while popping.

As for different runs having different concave, it must be (or this old deck I’m skating is just flattened out from age).

The degree slope (using phones measure) is one degree more steep on the brand new (II) Kyle walker white dipped bird pattern with the pink and blue bottom veneer, than the current (I) mason rainbow bottom veneer cathedral deck.

(All decks above are the 8.38/14.5 wb shape).

It’s possible the (I) cathedral I’m skating now flattened out after popping for a few months?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2133 on: November 05, 2023, 05:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Fall 2023 8.38 shape:

AH (drop 1 and 2)
Hewitt pigeon grimple
Pfanner Cityscapes
Green eagle

Real (only drop 1)
Patrick Silk
White oval

Krooked (only drop 1)
Cernciky Inferno

"Labels" 8.38
 $70.00 Regular Price
$59.50 Sale Price

[close]

[close]
Eagles instead of Ovals seems to be the shop thing. The ovals underwent a shape update to some shorter wheelbases a couple of years ago so they're not 1:1 but I figure the big online retailers seem to always keep the ovals in stock at least. That may even be by design so that those big warehouses can get backfilled and sit on stock to some degree while DLX keeps their fresher graphics on the same shapes pumping through the shops where they have to stand out on a board wall.
That makes so much damn good sense my head is going to explode. o_O   

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2134 on: November 05, 2023, 05:57:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Point of Clarification: The standard DLX 8.38/14.5 is the "dreamer" shape? I don't mess with 8.38s all that much, so I never paid much attention to the nomenclature associated with them.
[close]

Yes.

Funny that it has a shape name, seeing as most others do not, when compared to pro rider shapes, eg Raney shape, Yinzer / Kanfoush shape, Russo Lusso shape, etc.

I always just called it the 8.38 shape, but then people were getting confused so someone asked DLX and they confirmed it was just the normal 8.38 shape.

Thank you.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2135 on: November 05, 2023, 08:05:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Real also has www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Walker_Canopy_Slick_Deck/descpage-RLKWCPDK.html (custom mellow concave slick bottom) and https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Wair_On_Lock_Deck/descpage-RLWOLKDK.html (standard dreamer shape)
[close]

Yeah there are still a lot of them out there from previous drops too, so even if they don't list dimensions correctly, as per the Walker deck on SW, it is still the same board.

The curious thing is with those mellow boards, some people have seen them and say they are no different to the other R1 boards, so who knows.  At least that one is a slick too, so that would make it stand out a bit more.  Not going to comment on the graphic at all either.

I get them for the wood and the shape first, graphic last in the order of interests, but there has often been significant differences in concave between some of the 8.38 boards, almost like some runs / stock are on a mellow mold, more so than the normal one, which I prefer.

I posted this a while back, but it is relevant now too:

Expand Quote

More just for curiosity than anything else.

Here's the Real 8.38 mellow mold board, on the bottom, against another Real 8.38 and two Antihero 8.38 olive eagles.

All four of them are the same shape and dimensions, just the bottom one is so much flatter throughout.

[close]
[close]

Also sick. That mellow mold looks like a (IV) green eagle I got once and had to give away after one session because it felt like I was on a flat 2x4. It was the strangest thing I’ve ever skated: obviously it would pop, but it felt like there was no concave while popping.

As for different runs having different concave, it must be (or this old deck I’m skating is just flattened out from age).

The degree slope (using phones measure) is one degree more steep on the brand new (II) Kyle walker white dipped bird pattern with the pink and blue bottom veneer, than the current (I) mason rainbow bottom veneer cathedral deck.

(All decks above are the 8.38/14.5 wb shape).

It’s possible the (I) cathedral I’m skating now flattened out after popping for a few months?

phone levels are notoriously inaccurate and vary when zero'ed, but honestly I've had III's steeper than I's so it could just be variance from press to press or run to run

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2136 on: November 05, 2023, 11:02:42 PM »
Just curious for the 8.38 crowd....ya'll rocking 8.25s or 8.5s on that thing?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2137 on: November 06, 2023, 08:49:13 AM »
8.5 trucks on 8.38s... but I also always skated 8.5 trucks (149s) on 8.25 decks and loved it
hardly art, hardly starving

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2138 on: November 06, 2023, 08:54:06 AM »
Same as above. It has been awhile but I remember 149s/8.38" being a magic combo for me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2139 on: November 06, 2023, 09:55:38 AM »
isn’t the 8.38 more of an 8.5, but just longer (thinking dlx here).

i think some folks, maybe suciu and busenitz, skate 8.38 on 148s. give that 7.75 on 5.0 ratio. faster flip or something.
hewitt was on the 159s on the 8.38.

i lost my shit trying 8.38s, a krooked and then a polar,  both felt so damn long. had i just dealt with it i would have come to enjoy the stability, but at the time i was really chasing switch treflips (and nollie. and now i’ve just given up wisely), and the length would freak me out.

blah blah. i liked it better when i’d just try a board and not switch trucks.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2140 on: November 06, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »
Skating a BA labelled as a 8.5 (which is actually a 8.4) on 149s at the moment, absolutely loving it.
I do prefer a 8.125 on 144s for flatground but otherwise 8.4 on 149s is awesome.

I might get a 8.25 at some point but I have no idea if I want to set it up on 144s or 149s. I love the stability I get on 149s but 360 flips are easier on 144s. Hhmmm…
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 11:12:08 AM by franc »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2141 on: November 06, 2023, 11:11:26 AM »

Thunder 148, love em on there. I tried 149 as well, but meh. The Twin Tail is basically that tail/middle. The slightly shorter WB seems to come from them dividing the deck in 2 in the middle and just mirroring the rear portion. And since the people's champs (Ishod and Bobby) skate the twins on narrow trucks I might as well too.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2142 on: November 06, 2023, 11:16:41 AM »
since the people's champs (Ishod and Bobby) skate the twins on narrow trucks I might as well too.

What does Bobby skate these days? He was skating 8.18s on 149s ten years ago…

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2143 on: November 06, 2023, 11:27:08 AM »
Reading about 8.25 vs 8.5 trucks is getting me antsy. I love the way 149 feels on the 8.38, and the axle sticks out 1/16-1/32” out from the side (wheels well under the edge)… and Ben’s voice always echos in my head “I love the way 149’s feel on an 8.38)

I really want to try 144, but worried I’ll lose something on the turning, or how stable they are on grinds.

Thoughts?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2144 on: November 06, 2023, 11:35:23 AM »
Reading about 8.25 vs 8.5 trucks is getting me antsy. I love the way 149 feels on the 8.38, and the axle sticks out 1/16-1/32” out from the side (wheels well under the edge)… and Ben’s voice always echos in my head “I love the way 149’s feel on an 8.38)

I really want to try 144, but worried I’ll lose something on the turning, or how stable they are on grinds.

Thoughts?

149s might ‘feel’ better, more than some report landing more on the 144s.
not a huge difference. if you got it you got it.

i also want to know what the bobby skates. someone said 5.2 hi’s.
i have checked out a twin tail. my favorite trick is a nollie, felt like i’d put those in jeopardy. the longer wb, shorts nose/tail if a twin, seems appealing. @LebowskisRug mentioned it in another thread, but the notion of a wheelbase just being what’s left over after determine the nose and tail length, has really been interesting to me. i’m pretty sure (never positive of anything), that i don’t like longer noses and tails (basing this off trying the 8.125 april shape with the 14” wb, board felt unskateable in a way that shocked me). i often look at a big 7”+ nose and just think ‘no thank you’. twin could be cool.

i’ve watched that bobby setup video more than any other. tried to make 149s work, for like the 20th time in homage. he does the best switch treflip of all time. it’s a sick video

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2145 on: November 06, 2023, 12:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote
since the people's champs (Ishod and Bobby) skate the twins on narrow trucks I might as well too.
[close]

I asked him on IG once- 8.38 TT, Venture 5.2 high, 52 Classics

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2146 on: November 06, 2023, 12:16:08 PM »

Thoughts?

Dude they're barely different. Split the difference and run 144 with 3 speed rings for an 8.38 truck. I tried 149s and for whatever reason found I had more wheelbite and didn't like the way they scooped quite as much, but they were fine. I didn't notice them on grinds.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2147 on: November 06, 2023, 12:40:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thank you!
one day i’ll hit you up for all of your ig setup info. that stuff is fascinating to me.
same with bikes: i’ve never tried to ride real fast and that, but loved reading about cav’s setup. the insight in to why they do these things is interesting as well.

setup sounds exactly like ishod’s except with venture instead of thunder

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2148 on: November 06, 2023, 01:23:06 PM »
I used to race bikes and have a deep knowledge of pro setups. It was interesting because at the time I started racing (2010), my setup was fairly unorthodox. I was really broke in college so I did my own bike fit and ran my seat further forward and bars lower, but that opened my hips up and reduced my drag a shit ton. Around 2015 onward this became decently common in the pro peoloton as well and saddles evolved to facilitate things.

Cav ran his bike as he always had. He was notorious for refusing the advice of fitters and often ran wider bars and a lower seat than he should have.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2149 on: November 06, 2023, 01:44:28 PM »
I used to race bikes and have a deep knowledge of pro setups. It was interesting because at the time I started racing (2010), my setup was fairly unorthodox. I was really broke in college so I did my own bike fit and ran my seat further forward and bars lower, but that opened my hips up and reduced my drag a shit ton. Around 2015 onward this became decently common in the pro peoloton as well and saddles evolved to facilitate things.

Cav ran his bike as he always had. He was notorious for refusing the advice of fitters and often ran wider bars and a lower seat than he should have.

he was fascinating to me because he was my general size (but in shape), and for a moment had the juice, exciting to watch. i think he also suffers from some of the same dachshund body type that i have. i vaguely remember most of those guys cramming themselves onto bikes 2 sizes down, with really long stems.
short cranks make sense.
track bikes look different to me now, the current fits with the really long top tubes are interesting.

the dreamer, the 8.3 tt, the 8.25 x 32, all look nice. the 8.5 blue eagle is great, not sure if i want to go back to 8.5 trucks.

remember how ‘everyone’ would skate an anti-hero before they got their board company off of the ground? which one was that? seems like it was maybe the olive eagle. dunno

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2150 on: November 06, 2023, 02:56:11 PM »
people skate any eagle, usually blue or black it seems, sometimes silver

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2151 on: November 06, 2023, 04:14:34 PM »

I am 149s / 8.5 trucks all the way on 8.38 boards, but I prefer stability to anything else, more so transition skating first and dabble in whatever other things to skate but not so much rail / tech compared to some people.

Others I skate with who are way more street / rail / ledge tech go with 144s / 8.25 trucks as they say it just fits better for their skating, so that also makes sense to me.

I have boards set up with 144s / 8.25 trucks, but they just feel too tippy for me and as I am so used to a wider truck, the board feels wrong, but the 144s on an 8.125 or 8.25 board is a lot easier to skate for tech stuff for me, so go figure with that one.

Expand Quote

Thoughts?
[close]

149s might ‘feel’ better, more than some report landing more on the 144s.
not a huge difference. if you got it you got it.

As per reply above, wider trucks for more stability / transition and not as wide trucks for more street / tech seems to be the way to go for a lot of people.

Changing board size can be a bit funny but I prefer board to width pretty much right on, but others like to have magic carpet all the way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2152 on: November 06, 2023, 04:24:23 PM »

i think some folks, maybe suciu and busenitz, skate 8.38 on 148s. give that 7.75 on 5.0 ratio. faster flip or something.

i lost my shit trying 8.38s, a krooked and then a polar,  both felt so damn long. had i just dealt with it i would have come to enjoy the stability, but at the time i was really chasing switch treflips (and nollie. and now i’ve just given up wisely), and the length would freak me out.

Yeah the DLX 8.38 is so very close to a normal 8.5 in width, which is why it works so well for me.

The twin 8.3 is more like 8.3 or even more like the standard DLX 8.25, not as wide as the 8.38 / 8.5 as well, which means it works better on the more narrow trucks.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was interesting setting up a board like that just to try it, but I guess that is the luxury of having a lot of trade in or spare parts too.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2153 on: November 06, 2023, 06:42:45 PM »
149 because Ben said it was the best.

And I put some 144’s up against 8.38 in a shop today, and I don’t think I would dig the magic carpet side. The 149 is like perfect and I think I would miss the extra width for stability when going fast and turning, or going slow and turning.

I’m tall and dad bod heavy-ish.

Maybe I’ll just torture myself later when I actually NEED new trucks.

Right now I’m fiending over hardware, and whether I should get blue Indy bushings or not.
What a silly thing to obsess over. I miss the days when gear didn’t matter… just the skating. This feels like equivalent of sitting on the porch and rocking talking about the good old days.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 06:49:51 PM by JM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2154 on: November 06, 2023, 08:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah the DLX 8.38 is so very close to a normal 8.5 in width, which is why it works so well for me.

The twin 8.3 is more like 8.3 or even more like the standard DLX 8.25, not as wide as the 8.38 / 8.5 as well, which means it works better on the more narrow trucks.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It was interesting setting up a board like that just to try it, but I guess that is the luxury of having a lot of trade in or spare parts too.

My point about the TT being the back half of the 8.38 was from someone who would be really, really trustworthy. I've calipered both and they're the same width in the middle: 8.38

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2155 on: November 07, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »

Got my son the new Pigeon Vision GT 8.5" shape with the 14" wb and it's stamped II... So either these are BBS wood or the overseas boards are also being stamped I through IV...
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2156 on: November 07, 2023, 12:24:10 PM »

Got my son the new Pigeon Vision GT 8.5" shape with the 14" wb and it's stamped II... So either these are BBS wood or the overseas boards are also being stamped I through IV...

Warning sticker says Made in Mexico?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2157 on: November 07, 2023, 02:45:04 PM »

That’s not an overseas deck. You can tell by the “made in Mexico” part of the sticker. :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2158 on: November 07, 2023, 03:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Fall 2023 8.38 shape:

AH (drop 1 and 2)
Hewitt pigeon grimple
Pfanner Cityscapes
Green eagle

Real (only drop 1)
Patrick Silk
White oval

Krooked (only drop 1)
Cernciky Inferno

"Labels" 8.38
 $70.00 Regular Price
$59.50 Sale Price

[close]

I was waiting for them to put up the Krooked Drop 2 info, but this is an 8.38 with wheel wells.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2023/

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2159 on: November 07, 2023, 05:49:26 PM »

I was waiting for them to put up the Krooked Drop 2 info, but this is an 8.38 with wheel wells.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2023/

Ooooooooooooooooooo.... purty.  maybe getting some wheelwells would do me good.  thanks

Oh wow, I really like this blue flowers graphic.