Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233915 times)

schralp pal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2430 on: January 31, 2024, 10:37:11 AM »
Expand Quote
How wide is it where the rear trucks sit?
[close]

9.5”

Gracias. Will use my thunder 161s if I cop,  that board has been pulling at my heart strings, 215s will stay on the zogger.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2431 on: February 01, 2024, 08:50:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Received a 10” Grimple, today, with a Roman numeral I on it.

Praise Jah
[close]

I'm getting mine from the shop today! Board is going on the wall until the weather stops being shite
[close]

Careful. Hanging a board can cause warpage. Best stored flat in a consistent temp room.

In saying that I once hung a Krooked board for a few years before skating it and it rode and lasted really well.

Just got it, mold III. Fuck this thing looks fun. Tail is a smidge longer (as listed), and a bit more "full" than the nose.

If a board is hanging on the wall, how long would it be before I should get concerned about warping? Not above any heaters or cold spots, interior wall of my living room
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2432 on: February 01, 2024, 08:45:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Praise Jah
[close]

I'm getting mine from the shop today! Board is going on the wall until the weather stops being shite
[close]

Careful. Hanging a board can cause warpage. Best stored flat in a consistent temp room.

In saying that I once hung a Krooked board for a few years before skating it and it rode and lasted really well.
[close]

Just got it, mold III. Fuck this thing looks fun. Tail is a smidge longer (as listed), and a bit more "full" than the nose.

If a board is hanging on the wall, how long would it be before I should get concerned about warping? Not above any heaters or cold spots, interior wall of my living room

I have had multiple boards on walls for years and they are still fine, then one or two for a few months on the same walls and I noticed it was warping.  No issues with the location, no different conditions or any factors contributing to it that I could see.

More than anything I would say it is not so much the location or the hanging, just the board itself - some more prone to warping than others.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2433 on: February 01, 2024, 08:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Blue eagle shorter 8.5
TAIL (IN):   6.5

8.4 shape
TAIL (IN):   6.625

Longer 8.5 shape
TAIL (IN):   6.625
[close]

Not had an 8.4 in a while, but my recollection was that it had exact same tail length as the 8.5/14.25, so Tactics specs might be off. The 8.4 certainly has a longer nose than the 8.5/14.25, and that longer nose (if I recall) is what accounted for the length difference between the two decks.

I forgot to reply, but yes there is so little in it - less than 2 mm between those first two boards, definitely more between the 8.5 sized boards (3.5 or so mm) so I guess that measuring in inches is sort of clumsy sometimes, 6.5 (1/2) and 6.625 (5/8) but the 8.4 might be more like 9/16 which is 6.5625 so either way, it is not something I would think is a huge difference.

To choose if I had only those three, I would go the longer 8.5, then the 8.4, then the shorter 8.5, going by the three boards sitting in front of me here, but I can also see why so many people enjoy the shorter 8.5 for what it is, especially if they have skated other true 8.5 boards and find them too big.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2434 on: February 02, 2024, 10:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Praise Jah
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have had multiple boards on walls for years and they are still fine, then one or two for a few months on the same walls and I noticed it was warping.  No issues with the location, no different conditions or any factors contributing to it that I could see.

More than anything I would say it is not so much the location or the hanging, just the board itself - some more prone to warping than others.

thx for the insight

i took it down to grip it, but i probably won't hang it up again just to be safe. having a warp through a board that big might be irredeemable, rather not chance it
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

flamincheney

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2435 on: February 14, 2024, 02:15:57 PM »
Just set up a Nicole Hause 8.5 true fit and loving it so far. Took a second to get used to the narrower stance but love how responsive it is.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2436 on: February 14, 2024, 02:32:10 PM »
Does DLX have any more mellow tailed/nosed boards? My local has eagles for sale, but ive not went there and checked them out. I bought a krooked 8.38 truefit, 14"wb, I got a hate/love relationship with it. The tail is way too steep... Its also a 1, so the steepest.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2437 on: February 14, 2024, 05:05:54 PM »
Does DLX have any more mellow tailed/nosed boards? My local has eagles for sale, but ive not went there and checked them out. I bought a krooked 8.38 truefit, 14"wb, I got a hate/love relationship with it. The tail is way too steep... Its also a 1, so the steepest.

Finding any of the IV marked boards is usually my happy place, way more mellow (usually) than some others, especially in the 8.38 size I like to ride, but I have noticed some inconsistencies with concave and board molds in general, some molds might be more mellow than others, so just going in and either looking at or standing on a few different boards, I can really get a better feel for what I want.

Example, a run of boards that had pale teal tops were all way more mellow, even in I or any stamp number, so I hoarded those when I could find any more from that run, but that is the exception, not the norm, I am thinking.

I could also say I probably have said it too often, but even any stamped I or II board that is too steep for me, just driving slowly over it or parking on it for a short period mellows out the kicks nicely, but as others have found, they park too long, or have other things happen and then don't like the board at all afterwards, eg still steep side to side, but mellow kicks. 

That I can deal with, but a board with kicks that are too steep I just cannot do at all.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2438 on: February 14, 2024, 07:23:00 PM »
Damn Calskate. You for real?

(Heh. Pun.)

These are going to be sick. I am sad I have spent all my Christmas money already 😩

Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2439 on: February 15, 2024, 02:26:13 PM »
I have two set-ups. The 8.25/14.38 and the 8.75/14.62. The 8.25 is my main jam. That said, for the last week or so I’ve been on the 8.75 a lot. Today I was at a shop and they had a IV stamped 8.62/14.75. It’s like the only standard issue DLX shape I’ve never owned. Since I’ve been liking the 8.75 recently, I decided, on a whim, to get it (because I’ve been liking a bigger board). Initial thoughts are that it seems to be a bit long in relation to its width, but we’ll see what happens once I skate it.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2440 on: February 15, 2024, 03:00:28 PM »
I have two set-ups. The 8.25/14.38 and the 8.75/14.62. The 8.25 is my main jam. That said, for the last week or so I’ve been on the 8.75 a lot. Today I was at a shop and they had a IV stamped 8.62/14.75. It’s like the only standard issue DLX shape I’ve never owned. Since I’ve been liking the 8.75 recently, I decided, on a whim, to get it (because I’ve been liking a bigger board). Initial thoughts are that it seems to be a bit long in relation to its width, but we’ll see what happens once I skate it.

I just set up the 8.75 x 14.25 short WB deluxe board, really looking forward to trying it. I think ultimately it could end up feeling too short, but I’ve been super curious

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2441 on: February 15, 2024, 03:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just set up the 8.75 x 14.25 short WB deluxe board, really looking forward to trying it. I think ultimately it could end up feeling too short, but I’ve been super curious

Still yet to even see one of those shorter wider boards, but I got a lot of the usual 8.75 and 8.62 shape boards around.  I just took the 3mm risers off the current 8.62 the other day as it felt too tall, putting in just a super thin bike tube type thing instead and it feels way better.  Silly how something like that can make such a difference.

The 8.62 I have set up is on Indy standard 159s with Spitfire F4 58mm Classic 99 duro wheels, which was pretty much what the vert / big bowl guys ride, as I was curious to see how it skated for that combo, hence the risers too.  Overall super smooth and such a fun ride for such a big (long) board with the 14.75 wb, which works really well for going fast and would be really stable in bigger transition.

The kicks are long on it too, which makes it feel more comfortable for me (taller with longer legs) but I still think that the 8.75 is the better all rounder, seeing as I really don't skate big bowls or vert at all any more (not that I could even really do much when I did skate the over 7 foot kind of ramps anyway.

One of the guys who got one and didn't like it being so long wb drilled down the nose so it was more on about the 14.38 - 14.4 or so wb and he doesn't use the nose anyway, but he said it was way more comfortable for him after that modification.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2442 on: February 16, 2024, 02:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is the length actually 31.75?
always been curious about that one
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

your mom

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2443 on: February 16, 2024, 05:44:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've had several of these. Length is 31.75. WB is a 1/16 hair shorter than advertised at 14.1875

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2444 on: February 16, 2024, 03:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I've had several of these. Length is 31.75. WB is a 1/16 hair shorter than advertised at 14.1875

Some others had said the tail is a bit short, but if you have had more than one, I am guessing you like it well enough and it works for you?

I guess I am more used to a little longer in kicks / tail with some of the other bigger / wider DLX boards, eg regular 8.62 and 8.75 shapes.

your mom

« Reply #2445 on: February 17, 2024, 06:08:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Some others had said the tail is a bit short, but if you have had more than one, I am guessing you like it well enough and it works for you?

I guess I am more used to a little longer in kicks / tail with some of the other bigger / wider DLX boards, eg regular 8.62 and 8.75 shapes.

I wouldn't say the tail is necessarily short. It's 6.5- 6.625 depending on your method of measurement. I wouldn't mind a bit more

I've never skated the 8.62 shape but have had several white eagles and do prefer the nose and tail on those over this 14.25wb shape, but not the longer wb.

The white eagle tail is only 1/8 longer than this shape, but the nose is more noticeable at 5/16 longer. I think the nose has a better shape to it as well.

If they would take the nose and tail off the white eagle and put it on this 14.25 shape I would like it much more

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2446 on: February 17, 2024, 09:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Can’t speak to the actual measurements, but the board feels great. Had a great first street session out on it

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2447 on: February 17, 2024, 09:24:45 AM »
Follow-Up: Rode the 8.62 for a bit. Hated it. But now I know to avoid that thing, and that alone was worth the efforts/cost.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2448 on: February 17, 2024, 02:00:02 PM »
Follow-Up: Rode the 8.62 for a bit. Hated it. But now I know to avoid that thing, and that alone was worth the efforts/cost.

i love the way it looks, pointy. it’s big big tho. i’d need to be feeing extra juiced

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #2449 on: February 17, 2024, 02:08:14 PM »
Liking the specs. Wish it was a tad shorter but looks promising

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2450 on: February 17, 2024, 03:16:23 PM »

6.75 tail. Don’t see many of those.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2451 on: February 17, 2024, 03:23:42 PM »

Damn that sucks then.

No thought of drilling it down in the nose?

Either way, I guess there are the big, wide and long type boards, or what are now the wide but stubby options, with maybe the only other one being the Cardiel Hella Concave shape being a bit more normal.  Still yet to see or get one of those, but there have been a few around from time to time.

General warning about shop specs, but these were accurate from what someone else said who had one, most recently the Selector graphic:

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/cardiel-selectors-862-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.62
LENGTH (IN):   32.3
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.6
NOSE (IN):   7.06
TAIL (IN):   6.56

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2452 on: February 17, 2024, 03:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wouldn't say the tail is necessarily short. It's 6.5- 6.625 depending on your method of measurement. I wouldn't mind a bit more

I've never skated the 8.62 shape but have had several white eagles and do prefer the nose and tail on those over this 14.25wb shape, but not the longer wb.

The white eagle tail is only 1/8 longer than this shape, but the nose is more noticeable at 5/16 longer. I think the nose has a better shape to it as well.

If they would take the nose and tail off the white eagle and put it on this 14.25 shape I would like it much more

Did you see the specs of the new Real 8.75 Tru Fit board?

Not sure if that might work for you, but this was the post here with more info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg4149830#msg4149830

Real true fit 8.75 x 32 14.12 wb

your mom

« Reply #2453 on: February 17, 2024, 05:46:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Did you see the specs of the new Real 8.75 Tru Fit board?

Not sure if that might work for you, but this was the post here with more info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg4149830#msg4149830

Real true fit 8.75 x 32 14.12 wb

That looks good. I'll have to pick one up

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #2454 on: February 18, 2024, 02:06:27 AM »
Expand Quote

6.75 tail. Don’t see many of those.
[close]

For sure, especially dlx.
I have a very loose theory that 6.875-6.9 tails were designed for Ventures and 6.5-6.625 for thunders.

Edited: fixed the html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:58:31 AM by Fooj »

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2455 on: February 18, 2024, 09:00:08 AM »
Anybody tried the DLX 8.28 shape on Indy's? I looked at it in person recently and it's really nice. If it just had a 14.25" wheelbase it'd be dead perfect for me, but it might be close enough.

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #2456 on: February 18, 2024, 09:31:20 AM »
Anybody tried the DLX 8.28 shape on Indy's? I looked at it in person recently and it's really nice. If it just had a 14.25" wheelbase it'd be dead perfect for me, but it might be close enough.

I haven't but damn those dims look good. Would love to try one on my Ventures.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: February 19, 2024, 08:07:03 AM »

Did. Not a fan. But I am not a fan of sub-14.25 WB, so no surprises here.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2458 on: February 19, 2024, 08:11:54 AM »

Damn that sucks then.

No thought of drilling it down in the nose?

(1) I would never redrill a deck.
(2) If I did redrill 8.62 to a WB I liked, then the nose would be absurd.
(3) Finally trying the 8.62 confirms my previous idea that I just do not like "in-between truck sized" decks.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2459 on: February 19, 2024, 08:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did. Not a fan. But I am not a fan of sub-14.25 WB, so no surprises here.
ive skated that shape on aces, and thunders. works for both but the aces made it twitchy, i would assume indys would be better. i think the idea of that shape was for mason when he came over since he rode a 13.75 wb on element and hes on indy.