Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233482 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2460 on: February 19, 2024, 09:06:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody tried the DLX 8.28 shape on Indy's? I looked at it in person recently and it's really nice. If it just had a 14.25" wheelbase it'd be dead perfect for me, but it might be close enough.
[close]

Did. Not a fan. But I am not a fan of sub-14.25 WB, so no surprises here.
[close]
ive skated that shape on aces, and thunders. works for both but the aces made it twitchy, i would assume indys would be better. i think the idea of that shape was for mason when he came over since he rode a 13.75 wb on element and hes on indy.

That is an old shape Julian designed for AH a long time ago.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2461 on: February 19, 2024, 09:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody tried the DLX 8.28 shape on Indy's? I looked at it in person recently and it's really nice. If it just had a 14.25" wheelbase it'd be dead perfect for me, but it might be close enough.
[close]

Did. Not a fan. But I am not a fan of sub-14.25 WB, so no surprises here.
[close]
ive skated that shape on aces, and thunders. works for both but the aces made it twitchy, i would assume indys would be better. i think the idea of that shape was for mason when he came over since he rode a 13.75 wb on element and hes on indy.

that may have been the same shape as this doomsayers board that i had and loved.
skated it on 144s and it was great. coulda shoulda just stuck with it

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2462 on: February 19, 2024, 07:58:48 PM »
DLX shots fired at professor schmitt?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2463 on: February 20, 2024, 02:44:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Damn that sucks then.

No thought of drilling it down in the nose?
[close]

(1) I would never redrill a deck.
(2) If I did redrill 8.62 to a WB I liked, then the nose would be absurd.
(3) Finally trying the 8.62 confirms my previous idea that I just do not like "in-between truck sized" decks.

Yeah I get it on all points, but I am a tinkerer at heart, especially with things I am not going to actually skate or use as intended, so I would find a fun change up to make a cruiser or something.

Longer wheelbase boards make really good pump track setups too, so I would put some 149 or 159 trucks on maybe with some risers and big soft wheels to do laps.  The mellow concave would be perfect for that for me, as per other setups I have just like that.

DLX shots fired at professor schmitt?

Honestly I don't think they operate like that, so it is more likely just a fun take on a different board shape with a graphic to go with it, as is their thing, especially given they have been messing round with different shapes like Beach Bum, Beach Bummer, Grosso style shapes, but then hit a winner with a shorter wb and shorter and wider options for fun cruisers.

Yeah they feel like a Genius with that shape.

That is my take on it anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2464 on: February 20, 2024, 08:30:58 AM »
Genius is my fav cruiser shape. Actually have one set up for curbs at the moment.  I never liked the tiny micro cruisers...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2465 on: February 20, 2024, 12:35:39 PM »
Genius is my fav cruiser shape. Actually have one set up for curbs at the moment.  I never liked the tiny micro cruisers...

i got a zip zinger and hated ollies.
i like to cruise, but an ollie is needed

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2466 on: February 20, 2024, 03:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Liking the specs. Wish it was a tad shorter but looks promising

[close]

6.75 tail. Don’t see many of those.

Primitive/April territory - he's on this Venture love affair these days so it makes sense.

Speaking of Venture...looks like he's off the lows as well...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2467 on: February 20, 2024, 04:03:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Liking the specs. Wish it was a tad shorter but looks promising

[close]

6.75 tail. Don’t see many of those.
[close]

Primitive/April territory - he's on this Venture love affair these days so it makes sense.

Speaking of Venture...looks like he's off the lows as well...

Very close to the Ishod Comix deck, which was 8.25 x 31.9 with 14 wb.

And yeah I seem to recall him talking about Venture lows were fun for a bit on very specific boards, but the normal ones work better for him for everything and he can skate the 5.6 width better on 8.25 boards.

Makes sense.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2468 on: February 24, 2024, 07:12:54 PM »
Anyone step on the 8.5 x 32.18 x 14.38wb? It's it's just the regular dlx 8.5 but stretched to accommodate the wb, I might have winner.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2469 on: February 25, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »
Anyone step on the 8.5 x 32.18 x 14.38wb? It's it's just the regular dlx 8.5 but stretched to accommodate the wb, I might have winner.
I’ve been really tempted… but I have three 8.38’s on ice so I’m kind of set for a long while.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2470 on: February 25, 2024, 04:15:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’ve been really tempted… but I have three 8.38’s on ice so I’m kind of set for a long while.

I have had quite a few, still do actually.

They are a good go to for longer tails with slightly shorter wb, compared to the 8.38 shape I am on mostly, which has a longer wb and shorter tail.

For a board that is actually 8.5 across the middle and doesn't taper from front to back bolts like some of the other 8.5 boards do, it is a good one, but some people get weird about how it does very much taper into the kicks and others don't like the slightly longer tail on it either.

Can't keep everyone happy, but it is a good all rounder and a standard shape, even if it was a bit scarce for a while.

Just one at random, but I like the teal / blue top colour:

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/daan-no-regerts-85-skateboard-deck/teal

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2471 on: February 25, 2024, 04:20:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They are a good go to for longer tails with slightly shorter wb, compared to the 8.38 shape I am on mostly, which has a longer wb and shorter tail.

For a board that is actually 8.5 across the middle and doesn't taper from front to back bolts, it is a good one, but some people get weird about how it does very much taper into the kicks and others don't like the slightly longer tail on it either.

Can't keep everyone happy, but it is a good all rounder and a standard shape, even if it was a bit scarce for a while.

Maybe that’s why i cant manual anymore: shorter tails. :/

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2472 on: February 25, 2024, 04:55:02 PM »

I'm interested since it's closer to the BBS standard 8.5 dims I usually run at 32.3 (or .23?) x 14.5.
Super Champion Fun Zone

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2473 on: February 25, 2024, 05:35:02 PM »
8.38 is the shit. No getting used to. Damn near perfect. None of that ugly shovel nose/tail BS. Nice and pointy kicks.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2474 on: February 25, 2024, 05:49:49 PM »
8.38 is the shit. No getting used to. Damn near perfect. None of that ugly shovel nose/tail BS. Nice and pointy kicks.
Damn straight.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2475 on: February 25, 2024, 05:50:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn straight.

i have one i’m stoked to try, most likely going to put some 149 thunders on there

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2476 on: February 25, 2024, 05:56:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn straight.
[close]

i have one i’m stoked to try, most likely going to put some 149 thunders on there
I LOVED the 149 thunders with the 8.38”dreamer”14.5wb.

It’s like trucks and decks from the same company go well together, or something. ;D

boofactory

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2477 on: February 25, 2024, 06:34:39 PM »
I redrilled the 8.38 shape with the 14.5 wheelbase down to 13.5 with venture 5.8s and I’m loving the longer kicks and the tighter wheelbase with the ventures adds a little more carve. Would do it again. Standing on slides and grinds better now too because of it as well

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2478 on: February 25, 2024, 06:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

For a board that is actually 8.5 across the middle and doesn't taper from front to back bolts like some of the other 8.5 boards do, it is a good one, but some people get weird about how it does very much taper into the kicks and others don't like the slightly longer tail on it either.

Just one at random, but I like the teal / blue top colour:

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/daan-no-regerts-85-skateboard-deck/teal

sounds wonderful 7" Nose is something I tend to feel I don't need + I hate the way long noses look on squareish boards (FA), looks ridonkulous.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2479 on: March 01, 2024, 12:54:37 PM »
New Easy Riders Concave:

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2480 on: March 01, 2024, 12:58:03 PM »
New Easy Riders Concave:

Where’s the Ben Degros shout out? I must find.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2481 on: March 01, 2024, 04:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote
New Easy Riders Concave:

[close]

I thought Ben was riding one of the 8.38 white oval boards in his clips, but way more likely it was this one, still a white oval graphic but a different shape.

Interesting to see, but I do wonder what specific dimensions and shapes they will have.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2482 on: March 02, 2024, 08:18:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Easy Riders Concave:

[close]
[close]

I thought Ben was riding one of the 8.38 white oval boards in his clips, but way more likely it was this one, still a white oval graphic but a different shape.

Interesting to see, but I do wonder what specific dimensions and shapes they will have.
That insta post said 8.25 and 8.5’s. If it does well, surely they’ll expand. Or just flood the market anyway with all the shapes.

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2483 on: March 02, 2024, 09:15:30 AM »
Got the 8.75 long WB deck today for cheap (I stamp). Might try with Ace 55 Classics.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2484 on: March 02, 2024, 03:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Easy Riders Concave:

[close]
[close]

[close]
That insta post said 8.25 and 8.5’s. If it does well, surely they’ll expand. Or just flood the market anyway with all the shapes.

For sure!

He is on the 8.25 size, so that would work well in the mellow shape boards for him, as well as anyone else who likes that size.

Was more just that graphic that looked like the white oval 8.38 shape graphic, but now I know it is the mellow mold new one with a more metallic inside oval area, different to the usual one I have had before, so all good there.

Reminds me of a few of my other mellow boards, so much more than the usual molds that most DLX boards are on, so I guess it is just one of those things, luckily being able to stand on a lot of boards and see which ones work best and go from there, rather than order, get whatever and was hoping for something more mellow, as is more often the way with ordering from shops online.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2485 on: March 03, 2024, 06:37:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Easy Riders Concave:

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

For sure!

He is on the 8.25 size, so that would work well in the mellow shape boards for him, as well as anyone else who likes that size.

Was more just that graphic that looked like the white oval 8.38 shape graphic, but now I know it is the mellow mold new one with a more metallic inside oval area, different to the usual one I have had before, so all good there.

Reminds me of a few of my other mellow boards, so much more than the usual molds that most DLX boards are on, so I guess it is just one of those things, luckily being able to stand on a lot of boards and see which ones work best and go from there, rather than order, get whatever and was hoping for something more mellow, as is more often the way with ordering from shops online.
I can see a board with not much side concave being helpful for flip tricks and tech skating (of which Ben does a lot of).

When I was younger I really hated a lot of side concave digging into my feet (8” boards).

But now I like side concave because it’s easier to feel where my feet are at when riding transition, and want to know exactly where I’m at on the board when going fast (did not skate much transition when younger).

And whenever the I’s or II’s that I skate mush out, and I start to lose my feet placement, it’s time for a new deck.

It’s pretty awesome that Real is so flexible and responsive to the trends though, and giving Ben a shot to help design a “better” deck for tech skating.

I never understood why a dude back in the day had a Real tattoo, but I get it now: they’re a good company. (DLX)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2486 on: March 03, 2024, 12:39:27 PM »
Funny, isn't Heroin's 'Razor Edge' the opposite but for the same purpose? Not sanded rounded so it's better for flip tricks (so they say?).

Bring back the lowpro II

If Ben is riding these for testing they could be screened with anything, white oval included (when I tested the Full SE waaay back it was a white and blue oval but reversed).

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2487 on: March 09, 2024, 06:20:35 PM »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2488 on: March 09, 2024, 07:18:11 PM »
just waiting to see what widths they put out
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2489 on: March 09, 2024, 08:03:04 PM »
just waiting to see what widths they put out

Looks like an 8.25" Twin is the first one to drop later in Summer...