Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233580 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2550 on: April 09, 2024, 07:06:04 AM »
It would be nice if dlx had a consistent option for all around mellower decks. Hoping the shop gets a stamp IV in a shape/graphic I prefer is a stretch. I do think over everyone else in the industry they are doing the most with offering all kinds of shapes and concaves.
And yes I get the easy rider is specifically about concave but the customers I talk with seem more concerned with kicks than concave.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2551 on: April 09, 2024, 07:42:25 AM »
It would be nice if dlx had a consistent option for all around mellower decks. Hoping the shop gets a stamp IV in a shape/graphic I prefer is a stretch. I do think over everyone else in the industry they are doing the most with offering all kinds of shapes and concaves.
And yes I get the easy rider is specifically about concave but the customers I talk with seem more concerned with kicks than concave.

Spot on. Every word.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2552 on: April 09, 2024, 09:40:50 AM »

Totally agree. This is as close as your are gonna get out of BBS unless you hunt for your preferred stamp; I switched to PStix for a few boards and coming back to any BBS they are all stiff and steep (and heavy) whereas PS is flex/mellow (and light); this easy rider is no different. I'd ride again tho I was always partial to the dwindle steep kicks/mellow concave...if the kicks are too flat my pop will vanish.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2553 on: April 09, 2024, 11:50:01 AM »
IMHO, DLX makes way, way, way too much stuff.* Worse, they are not consistent enough with the stuff they do make. Over the last...10 years(?)...they have made Low-Pros decks, the 8-Ply decks, the Fulls, the SE fulls, Slicks, the Tru-Fits, the Twin-Tails, Wheel-Wells, and now these Easy Riders. And that's not even getting into their regular decks, their shaped decks, or the I-IV stamp options.

And then there is the ever-changing Spitfire options/cancellations.

It sucks if you find something you like, only have to have it later yanked away. It sucks if you find some thing you like, but can't find it, because there is no way any shop could stock all those options.

Like, sometimes you just need to know when to pull-out/stop. Thankfully my favorite DLX decks are common staples (8.25 and the 8.75), and all I have to worry about is the stamp number (and that alone is a pain in the ass, too).

*Would be cool if they made more options with their trucks design, and not just weight fixation (standard, hollow, Ti)...like offering Thunder with a normal baseplate option. Seems like that is way more of an obvious thing to produce than a Lock-In Full, or this Easy Rider thing...which seems to be designed for the whims of one guy (Ben D.), who likes steep kicks with flat boards (were most people take issue with kicks being too steep, and not the concave).

It's cool that DLX is trying new stuff, and I respect them for that...but it comes at a cost.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 12:00:31 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2554 on: April 09, 2024, 12:20:28 PM »
Wheel-welled Huffer. It is game over. Stamp it IV and I'll spend a pay check on as many as I can get.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2555 on: April 09, 2024, 12:56:36 PM »
at the risk of just agreeing with everyone here….i agree!

well, mostly: this is mostly a ‘me’ problem, but the large humps/swoops, in the concave, are what i dislike about bbs. these bends give bbs the durability that we all seemed to like. i remember kayo boards in the early 2000s being sought after. for me, bbs has lost much of their magic, and like @Xen noted, the boards are heavy, and for me, less ‘fun’.
i’m with whomever else wants the flatter boards, and i’m glad to sacrifice durability. but that means in the nose and tail kick as well. i want flat AND mellow.

i buy the 4 press dlx boards, if im going to get one. whenever i do not (usually a krooked board that just looks cool, i decide i have to have it), i regret it.

dlx makes cool stuff, glad they make a lot of stuff. it is too much.
(time to lose the crowd) i’m fine with them ditching radial slims (a wheel that i would actually skate), i just get the classics instead. fuck it. but, it does seem a little too clogged at the other end of the product line: lock in fulls, radial fulls, conical fulls etc etc.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2556 on: April 09, 2024, 02:55:34 PM »
I have a huffer IV stamp at home, looks like I'm gonna set it up tonight now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2557 on: April 09, 2024, 04:14:14 PM »
Slicks sell, or they just keep making cuz ya'know, Ishod...but yeah all the 'innovation' isn't if it doesn't stay around. Take flights or VX, sure they're pricier, but for board breakers, they're money saved in the long run; no 'deck tech' DLX brings out sticks around save slicks...same goes for boneite, helium, featherlight..hell I'm surprised NHSs P2s lasted as long as they did.

I'd bet money these will be phased out and skating one, it isn't by any means revolutionary, if you want mellow (and I prefer mellow kicks and 'cave these days) you are better off with Primitives (but you need to check where they are pressed...)since that is just what this board is but with steeper kicks - don't forget, this thing has a loooong tail as well. Highly doubtful I'll skate another one as you can just grab an alien/primitive or disorder and get the same thing (but lighter, cripser and more flex).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 05:27:45 PM by Xen »

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2558 on: April 09, 2024, 05:57:21 PM »
The easy rider is very very niche, but I feel DLX see's the youtube market that powell is tapped into and Ben is on a short list of them that doesn't turn most people off. They've tried a dozen or so concave options with Real over the years, the Mellow the fuck out boards were great but not on trend in 2012.
Every person I've talked to about the easy rider concave assumed it was mellow all around, not just concave.
I know Kyle Walker was skating a special mold that is super flat, so I know people are interested in an all around flatter deck.

freidnly guy

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2559 on: April 09, 2024, 07:39:00 PM »
I like Ben Degros, I like PS concave, I'll take an 8.38 Easy Rider and add it to the stack

JimmyFive

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2560 on: April 09, 2024, 08:13:13 PM »
Wheel-welled Huffer. It is game over. Stamp it IV and I'll spend a pay check on as many as I can get.

Lol yes me too. I make aftermarket wheel wells on my Huffers, be nice to not have to do that.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2561 on: April 09, 2024, 08:35:02 PM »
I heard them called a 'youtuber board' out in the wild - that's only from (guessing here) a core skater that uhhh, watch Ben/follow real on insta :P most people will just assume it's real 8.25 and off they go.

Straight via DLX:

"New Easy Rider Concave decks coming soon. A new relaxed, concave from DLX. Designed for full board feel - quick, responsive pop - and more control."

They said nothing about mellow kicks. Caveat emptor!

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2562 on: April 10, 2024, 06:31:07 AM »
The easy rider is very very niche, but I feel DLX see's the youtube market that powell is tapped into and Ben is on a short list of them that doesn't turn most people off. They've tried a dozen or so concave options with Real over the years, the Mellow the fuck out boards were great but not on trend in 2012.
Every person I've talked to about the easy rider concave assumed it was mellow all around, not just concave.
I know Kyle Walker was skating a special mold that is super flat, so I know people are interested in an all around flatter deck.

Are that many people really buying powell boards though? I think maybe 2-3 people at my local skate powell boards and they are def && and dan corrigan youtube pilled. But other than that I never see them

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2563 on: April 10, 2024, 07:01:30 AM »
Around here they are visible.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2564 on: April 10, 2024, 11:18:32 AM »
Around here they are visible.
A tragic.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2565 on: April 10, 2024, 01:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are that many people really buying powell boards though? I think maybe 2-3 people at my local skate powell boards and they are def && and dan corrigan youtube pilled. But other than that I never see them

I was at Harbor City Skatepark and there was a significant amount of dudes on Powell flight decks. I know the Powell team hits that park a lot so maybe they drop boards or something but it was the most I've seen in the wild.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2566 on: April 10, 2024, 01:59:50 PM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2567 on: April 10, 2024, 04:25:25 PM »
The only person I see skating powell boards is literally just 9C Rog when I see him at the Ocean Park Curbs (or Andy if he's there)...the only good shape they have is the 242 - 246 (243/244 being the best) the 247/8/9 are abominations. I'm on Dan Stan but I'd bet good money the shape he's working on is going to be 'normal' by industry standards, at  least nose shape.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2568 on: April 10, 2024, 04:34:32 PM »

CarcassToss

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2569 on: April 11, 2024, 07:12:52 AM »
I was really excited for these decks and checked each shape out against its "normal" concave.

First and foremost Ben did state the kick angles are the same. In practice they're a degree less steep on the shop decks I saw. Interestingly every single Easy Rider my 2 shops got were I and II.

The decks are mellower than the kick angle simply because the rise is shorter. The fingers of flat aren't 100% flat, but that extra bit of room will place your foot slightly towards the kicks on tricks where you'd be in the pocket. That's going to make for a lighter/easier feeling pop.

I laid them over a bunch of Dwindle and PS decks and the closest they get is to some of the flatter WKND and Jacuzzi decks. The DLX end up a bit shorter (8.5 and 8.25 even) due to slightly shorter tails, but are super close. Honestly the only one that makes much sense to me is the 8.25 because they created a completely new shape. The 8.5 has slightly more room than the old, but I hated the old one and can't imagine myself benefitting from the Easy Rider since it's still a bit short overall. I still bought it to try out.

So far it does as intended if you listen closely to Ben- your feet have more room before the rise really increases and it feels slightly more spacious. It does skate like a mellower deck despite the kick angle. Kick angle is only 1 factor of things. If you take a ruler and put it tip to the outer bolts it ends up a mellower angle than the normal equivalents.

its cool that DLX has so many shapes, but can kinda be tough for shops with ordering and for customers who want an uncommon shape. The shop gambled and ordered 4 of each shape and so far only the 8.25 have sold and the single 8.5 I bought. I can't see the 8.38 really being something tons of people are clamoring for. It felt realllllly long in the middle and while I can ride the normal one I won't ride this one.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2570 on: April 11, 2024, 12:20:54 PM »
I was really excited for these decks and checked each shape out against its "normal" concave.

First and foremost Ben did state the kick angles are the same. In practice they're a degree less steep on the shop decks I saw. Interestingly every single Easy Rider my 2 shops got were I and II.

The decks are mellower than the kick angle simply because the rise is shorter. The fingers of flat aren't 100% flat, but that extra bit of room will place your foot slightly towards the kicks on tricks where you'd be in the pocket. That's going to make for a lighter/easier feeling pop.

I laid them over a bunch of Dwindle and PS decks and the closest they get is to some of the flatter WKND and Jacuzzi decks. The DLX end up a bit shorter (8.5 and 8.25 even) due to slightly shorter tails, but are super close. Honestly the only one that makes much sense to me is the 8.25 because they created a completely new shape. The 8.5 has slightly more room than the old, but I hated the old one and can't imagine myself benefitting from the Easy Rider since it's still a bit short overall. I still bought it to try out.

So far it does as intended if you listen closely to Ben- your feet have more room before the rise really increases and it feels slightly more spacious. It does skate like a mellower deck despite the kick angle. Kick angle is only 1 factor of things. If you take a ruler and put it tip to the outer bolts it ends up a mellower angle than the normal equivalents.

its cool that DLX has so many shapes, but can kinda be tough for shops with ordering and for customers who want an uncommon shape. The shop gambled and ordered 4 of each shape and so far only the 8.25 have sold and the single 8.5 I bought. I can't see the 8.38 really being something tons of people are clamoring for. It felt realllllly long in the middle and while I can ride the normal one I won't ride this one.
Really wanted the 8.3 but the length and WB were nonstarters for me. Got the 8.5 which is a little bigger than I normally ride but not out of the realm

CarcassToss

« Reply #2571 on: April 11, 2024, 02:33:51 PM »
I don't know any details about release dates. He let me stand on his board and that was it. IIRC he has the Easy Rider 8.5 eagle with them. He thinks they're taller and his plates had slide marks. I shoulda tried to measure them, but afterwards he took his board and put it in the back. It was sitting next to the register and I happened to notice the trucks and don't think that I was supposed to. He said he hopes they're here for Summer but aren't in his catalog so who knows? Seeing them in person the hanger is a bit thicker top to bottom and now in retrospect you can kinda spot them on a lot of pro's boards over the last year. There is a Chris Athans ad in a Thrasher that they have where you can definitely see them.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2572 on: April 11, 2024, 04:55:24 PM »
I don't know any details about release dates. He let me stand on his board and that was it. IIRC he has the Easy Rider 8.5 eagle with them. He thinks they're taller and his plates had slide marks. I shoulda tried to measure them, but afterwards he took his board and put it in the back. It was sitting next to the register and I happened to notice the trucks and don't think that I was supposed to. He said he hopes they're here for Summer but aren't in his catalog so who knows? Seeing them in person the hanger is a bit thicker top to bottom and now in retrospect you can kinda spot them on a lot of pro's boards over the last year. There is a Chris Athans ad in a Thrasher that they have where you can definitely see them.

presume you are referring to the new Thunders?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2573 on: April 12, 2024, 12:59:44 PM »
Just got my 8.5 easy rider in and thankfully it’s a IV

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2574 on: April 12, 2024, 01:38:06 PM »
Ah, yes... Also known as the easiest rider.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2575 on: April 12, 2024, 04:16:16 PM »

Really wanted the 8.3 but the length and WB were nonstarters for me. Got the 8.5 which is a little bigger than I normally ride but not out of the realm

At least the usual blue eagle 8.5 is really only 8.3 something anyway, so it should work well for what you want.

Almost 8.5 at the shoulder but tapers down towards the back.  The rest of the dimensions are as usual, 31.8 long with 14.25 wb, but all up this is what makes this board so appealing for a lot of people, because it is a little more nimble all round.

Check and see if this sparkle eagle is the same in width, but I think others have already said it is the same.

As others have said, of the three shapes of the Easy Riders, the 8.25 with 14 wb is very different, then the other two 8.38 and 8.5 are the normal shapes and dimensions.

Expand Quote
[close]

Ha for sure.

Does it get passed around for everyone to have a go?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2576 on: April 12, 2024, 07:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

At least the usual blue eagle 8.5 is really only 8.3 something anyway, so it should work well for what you want.

Almost 8.5 at the shoulder but tapers down towards the back.  The rest of the dimensions are as usual, 31.8 long with 14.25 wb, but all up this is what makes this board so appealing for a lot of people, because it is a little more nimble all round.

Check and see if this sparkle eagle is the same in width, but I think others have already said it is the same.

As others have said, of the three shapes of the Easy Riders, the 8.25 with 14 wb is very different, then the other two 8.38 and 8.5 are the normal shapes and dimensions.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ha for sure.

Does it get passed around for everyone to have a go?

That’s actually a good point. Never had a blue eagle but when gripped it I felt like the shape didn’t feel like a true 8.5. I’ll take some measurements tomorrow. Set it up and did an Ollie and then went to the orioles game

CarcassToss

« Reply #2577 on: April 12, 2024, 10:08:12 PM »
I got the 8.5 easy rider and despite having more flat before the kicks I'm still not into the DLX 8.5. I don't think these will transform something you don't like, just make it more likable if you do.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2578 on: April 14, 2024, 12:52:31 PM »
Jest a quick personal anecdote as a follow up, re: these Easy Rider decks… the tips being the same angle (taking Ben at his word here, I haven’t measured them w/ a protractor or anything) while still maintaining differing lengths in the two tips, feels really extra nice to me as far as popping tricks of the nose.  Nollie tricks, such as I am able to execute they, be bonus popping on this deck.
Caveat: tha’s jus’ me though.

EDIT: follow up to the above follow up… Also noticed that repositioning my front hoof mid-manual is easier for me with the mellower ‘cave.  Would be great for flip-out variations (if only I had any such tricks in my repertoire.)
That is all.
Carry on.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 01:54:19 PM by Lou Strux »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2579 on: April 14, 2024, 03:23:09 PM »
Jest a quick personal anecdote as a follow up, re: these Easy Rider decks… the tips being the same angle (taking Ben at his word here, I haven’t measured them w/ a protractor or anything) while still maintaining differing lengths in the two tips, feels really extra nice to me as far as popping tricks of the nose.  Nollie tricks, such as I am able to execute they, be bonus popping on this deck.
Caveat: tha’s jus’ me though.

EDIT: follow up to the above follow up… Also noticed that repositioning my front hoof mid-manual is easier for me with the mellower ‘cave.  Would be great for flip-out variations (if only I had any such tricks in my repertoire.)
That is all.
Carry on.

So it also makes it easier to get your feet off the board if you need to bail?

Sounds good to me - perpetual bail master here.

I was riding a new board the other day and concave plus fresh Jessup meant I almost ate it a few times trying to get my feet off when they tended to stay stuck to the board, so this is a plus for me too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.