Author Topic: Kalis facebook post  (Read 56135 times)

iwishilivedinfinla

Re: Kalis facebook post
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »
i love you josh, but i don't get it

too much

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Actually Facebook posts on Slap are fucking stupid. Whoever started this thread is fucking dumb. Kalis has been with DC forever, look from his perspective...this is blatantly ripping off a DC ad layout, actually a poster layout. It's Josh Kalis's perspective, his post...You should recognize that starting a thread on this shit is fucking stupid not what his opinion is. You're taking everything way out of context. Seriously Adidas can just do an ad of the shoe and their logo, it's Adidas. Some of you need to keep scrolling and not take still frames of everything and make threads about it.

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
Gimme a fucking break.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Haha why are people trying to make it sound like Adidas set this whole thing up? Some of you are acting like some marketing dude told Suciu to do this. Pretty sure he just skates there a lot and decided to do this as an ad. I doubt it was some scheme to target the skaters who'd remember the original ad. Some people are reading way too much into this shit, unless there's something Kalis knows that we don't then I still find all of this hate on Suciu/Adidas pretty stupid.
[close]

this. he was probably just skating at love and there happened to be a barrier. Maybe thought, "oh damn remember when people used to skate it like this back in the day?" then just shot a photo on it with the photographer. He has a mean bs noseblunt. Can't think of a better trick for that thing, and obviously the photo was gonna turn out amazing. It did, and they turned it in for an ad. That's probably pretty close to what actually happened, give or take a few details. Wasn't a diss to Kalis, probably wasn't a tribute. I bet it was just more of a nostalgia thing.

God. Who fucking cares. I just typed way too much.

The photographer (assuming he has seen some skate photos from the last 15 years) clearly based this composition on old photos which framed the Robert Indiana sculpture on one side and barrier on the other. Too bad he didn't hold the shutter open to illuminate more of the background.

The ad itself, like DC's pre-corporate standard layout, features an enlarged photo of the tilted shoe one one side, with a 3/4 page photo on the other. Also, the film edge is visible with the Fuji "RDP" code showing. DC ads always printed the film code, sometimes with the sprocket holes (35mm). This ad may have been shot with a digital camera with the film code added later--typically 120/220 rolls have numbered frames as well.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »
First thing i thought about :

We get it Kalis the barrier was your thing and you made it into a whole ad campaign, got it on Xgames and even got mad when Pops took it then hid it from you after he had a photo in it. You ruled philly in the early 2000's and besides Stevie you were the first name that popped up whenever someone talked about Love. Its a new era bro, let it go! Suciu/Ishod are the new Kalis/Stevie so let them enjoy their prime. Shits gonna get repeated just like how when you revamped Love after Ricky's movement died. Don't be a salty Ray J and start chanting "I hit it first".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:26:02 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1114
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
While there are points on both sides to be made, I feel like in the social media age where things can be misconstrued and over analyzed, not really much to gain by calling anyone out. The people who agree still agree and the ones who don't or are oblivious will just have a negative opinion now.
 While I agree that at times calling something out is warranted and exciting when both parties are involved, not sure anything was gained in this instance.
Anyone who knows is aware of all you did at the spot and the similar aesthetic of the ad layouts, and those guys know it's borderline ripoff.
Everyone else is admiring a well done trick at a classic spot by a current talented skater that most people think favorably about.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
wow, people are really having a serious discussion regarding the malicious plagiarization of a skateboard trick.  and it's not even the same trick. 

some of these analyses are feeling a little like this:

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

dillanharp

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2015, 05:07:01 PM »
Dumb.

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Guess Kalis is the only person allowed to shoot photos at landmarks.. What about when you propped up a tile to skate over a can? Did you get permission from Ricky? I'm dumbfounded on how anyone could be bummed on this.
[close]

You see.... Some people just don't get it. No disrespect to you.... But again.... Your looking at it at face value. I'm done. If you get you get it... If not hopefully you will someday.
yeah it's pretty lame they did it as a shoe ad, but i was surprised he even did the trick though, isn't love park a complete bust now? and weren't they going to put in grass instead of concrete?

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
^^nigga have u been living in a ditch for the past 10-15 years?
try to remember, forget

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »
^^nigga have u been living in a ditch for the past 10-15 years?
nah, i don't know what the fuck is happening in this thread, i'm just throwing some bullshit into the crock pot.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »
I don't even know what's happening in this thread :'(
Next thing we know, Karl is gunna be hating on other skaters cuz they pretzel-ed out of a ledge trick
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:38:41 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »

is that berra in the middle? lol.

Melanoma

• Rep: 3
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
at least it was suciu and not some other chump

4wheels

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
Suciu knew exactly what he was doing with the trick/spot/photo. He is all about acknowlaging his favorite skaters.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
backside is harder and looks better
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:29:31 PM by sharkin »

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »
I'm backing Kalis on this one.

It's not the trick, it's the pretty blatant art-direction rip off. It raises the question - does Adidas have art dudes who would know they're biting a classic ad? Or was it an accident? Either way, not really cool of Adidas.

It's not like Kalis put everyone on blast, he just pointed out that Adidas should step their game up. A totally reasonable call I think.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
Haha, give me a break Kalis.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
It's not the trick, it's the pretty blatant art-direction rip off. It raises the question - does Adidas have art dudes who would know they're biting a classic ad? Or was it an accident?

I doubt it ... Either way it seems kinda petty to me, I guess I don't "get" it :'(

Remember when Kalis rode for adidas?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
It's not the trick, it's the pretty blatant art-direction rip off. It raises the question - does Adidas have art dudes who would know they're biting a classic ad? Or was it an accident?
[close]

I doubt it ... Either way it seems kinda petty to me, I guess I don't "get" it :'(

Remember when Kalis rode for adidas?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
Speaking of rip-offs, who's vision was it to prop up a tile and go over a can at Love?

It's the first skate photo that pops up on a Google image search... come up with your own ideas, indeed.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -148
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »
yeah, this is pretty petty and stupid, but the only thing i want to say is if Kalis doesn't have any Love footage in Sabotage 4, imma be so freakin mad

>:(

rideflannel

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
I'm backing Kalis on this one.

It's not the trick, it's the pretty blatant art-direction rip off. It raises the question - does Adidas have art dudes who would know they're biting a classic ad? Or was it an accident? Either way, not really cool of Adidas.

It's not like Kalis put everyone on blast, he just pointed out that Adidas should step their game up. A totally reasonable call I think.

I wouldn't even call it a rip off. For starters, Suciu's trick is at night, shot in color and is fisheye. Kalis's was long lens, black and white and during the day. It's completely a nod to him and nothing else. Imagine Frank Gerwer posting on Instagram or Facebook photos of Forrest switch flipping Wallenberg and say the same thing. It would be like WTF?! I'm sure everyone would have been way more hyped to see a Kalis post setting positive, like "damn, it's sick to see new cats ripping love, etc etc.." Instead he shows his ass.

Regardless, hyped for Suciu and his first shoe. It looks like a winner and he seems very humble.

Kalis is still an OG and hopefully he drops atleast one more memorable part.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 534
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
Awesome. Been at the top of Slap's Useless Wooden Toy Banter 2 days now. Stoked!!
Love the grumpy old Men pic. Lol.

Love this shit.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »
I think we should all kook Kalis until he focuses or he should give himself a ban and wear his pink I LOVE HATERS cap for a week.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2015, 09:09:22 PM »
I'm under the impression that Kalis, especially after watching his Epicly Later'd, gets pretty butt-hurt fairly easily. Like if I was him, I wouldn't give a single fuck about some off-handed comment Jason Dill made...but dude gets so offended, he has to get Patrick to make him his own episode so he can "prove" to Dill that he was wrong. The fact that Kalis has been on Slap so much over the past tow days to know that this topic has been on the top of Useless Wooden Toy Banter for those two days is incriminatingly pathetic.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »
I'm sure everyone would have been way more hyped to see a Kalis post setting positive, like "damn, it's sick to see new cats ripping love, etc etc.."

[/thread]

[/case]

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
 Kooking Kalis. Trend watch 2016.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »
I'm under the impression that Kalis, especially after watching his Epicly Later'd, gets pretty butt-hurt fairly easily. Like if I was him, I wouldn't give a single fuck about some off-handed comment Jason Dill made...but dude gets so offended, he has to get Patrick to make him his own episode so he can "prove" to Dill that he was wrong. The fact that Kalis has been on Slap so much over the past tow days to know that this topic has been on the top of Useless Wooden Toy Banter for those two days is incriminatingly pathetic.

I forget exactly what you're talking about, is it the "up river" debacle? Either way, Dill is full of shit. If you're taking his side over Kalis on anything, you are off your fucking tits.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE