Author Topic: Kalis facebook post  (Read 56049 times)

fongool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Kalis facebook post
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
I await the full-length Vice-funded documentary/expose on this subject.

m477

• Rep: 9
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
Funny how sucui keeps popping up in these 'contrived' scenarios. I get where kalis is coming from, it's not just a 'who did x trick at y spot first' or a parody Natas board graphic... It's the fact that the new sucui ad is unoriginal and poser-ish. Copycatting is not a tribute and it's not a Powell skull holding a banana either. This is Adidas copying the DC advertising style like everyone forgot about it. And kalis helped build the DC empire so it's not like he's not gonna notice

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:44 AM »
Actually Facebook posts on Slap are fucking stupid. Whoever started this thread is fucking dumb. Kalis has been with DC forever, look from his perspective...this is blatantly ripping off a DC ad layout, actually a poster layout. It's Josh Kalis's perspective, his post...You should recognize that starting a thread on this shit is fucking stupid not what his opinion is. You're taking everything way out of context. Seriously Adidas can just do an ad of the shoe and their logo, it's Adidas. Some of you need to keep scrolling and not take still frames of everything and make threads about it.

this is SLAP bitch! and you're a fucking moron for telling me what to post on here and what not to post on here. also he posted it on facebook where people can share their thoughts on this topic as well so why not bring it to SLAP= where Kalis posts. again its been said here there a number of factors that make it different from Kalis's DC ad.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

shit_for_brains

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »
If this shit goes any farther than 5 pages I'll go burn Love to the ground I swear to god

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2015, 01:36:54 AM »
Sides?really?

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
brown is an awful shoe colour
[close]
Nothin wrong with brown shoes, blue jeans and a red flannel.
[close]
red flannel yeah but nah to the pants and shoes
[close]
Red fllannel and blue jeans is like peanut butter and jelly son. You think the lumberjakcs who started that shit were wearing khakis?

wouldn't know, i eat vegimite

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 02:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
brown is an awful shoe colour
[close]
Nothin wrong with brown shoes, blue jeans and a red flannel.
[close]
red flannel yeah but nah to the pants and shoes
[close]
Red fllannel and blue jeans is like peanut butter and jelly son. You think the lumberjakcs who started that shit were wearing khakis?
[close]

wouldn't know, i eat vegimite
ha alright but here in the land of pb n j we wear jeans

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 03:52:41 AM »
If this shit goes any farther than 5 pages I'll go burn Love to the ground I swear to god
and then send kalis and suciu video of you at the junkyard crushing orange love park barriers into little cubes and then when its done grab it and say "SKATE THIS SHIT!" then throw it into a burning pile of kalis ads.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm under the impression that Kalis, especially after watching his Epicly Later'd, gets pretty butt-hurt fairly easily. Like if I was him, I wouldn't give a single fuck about some off-handed comment Jason Dill made...but dude gets so offended, he has to get Patrick to make him his own episode so he can "prove" to Dill that he was wrong. The fact that Kalis has been on Slap so much over the past tow days to know that this topic has been on the top of Useless Wooden Toy Banter for those two days is incriminatingly pathetic.
[close]

I forget exactly what you're talking about, is it the "up river" debacle? Either way, Dill is full of shit. If you're taking his side over Kalis on anything, you are off your fucking tits.

They're both kooks, but Dill was right. Kalis' episode begins by him and Patrick going to his pretty big and nice house. Compare that expensive house in Cali to the little efficiency apartment Jason Dill lives in in his episode, there's a notable upriver and downriver dynamic there.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm under the impression that Kalis, especially after watching his Epicly Later'd, gets pretty butt-hurt fairly easily. Like if I was him, I wouldn't give a single fuck about some off-handed comment Jason Dill made...but dude gets so offended, he has to get Patrick to make him his own episode so he can "prove" to Dill that he was wrong. The fact that Kalis has been on Slap so much over the past tow days to know that this topic has been on the top of Useless Wooden Toy Banter for those two days is incriminatingly pathetic.
[close]

I forget exactly what you're talking about, is it the "up river" debacle? Either way, Dill is full of shit. If you're taking his side over Kalis on anything, you are off your fucking tits.
[close]

They're both kooks, but Dill was right. Kalis' episode begins by him and Patrick going to his pretty big and nice house. Compare that expensive house in Cali to the little efficiency apartment Jason Dill lives in in his episode, there's a notable upriver and downriver dynamic there.

Nah, that was just him spitting blood on the walls and being arty. A decent apartment in NY probably costs a bomb.I can't really be fucked to get into it. Just the fact Dill is calling people out for being 'Up river' says it all really.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2015, 07:09:54 AM »
What do you expect from someone that was crying about Grant Taylor not acknowledging him "properly".......  Kalis is becoming the Koston, rips on the board, but everytime he opens his mouth you just cringe and wish it never happened.  Ricky is the king; you shook socal yuppie hoe.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »
It be different if Kalis did that DC ad last month versus 10 plus years ago. If some random new riper would have done this same trick 20 years from now would you still be butt hurt Kalis? didn't think it ever come to this but.......

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
Kalis's right, on Internet everyone turns hater.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
Kalis's right, on Internet everyone turns hater.

Yeah Including Kalis....

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
Kalis explains the story of this orange barrier on Weekend Buzz @18:20
ableSkateMag.com

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2015, 08:21:35 AM »
Kalis explains the story of this orange barrier on Weekend Buzz @18:20

Oh I see now, DGKALIS did say he blew it out therefore no other tricks can be done on that barrier. End of Thread. Case Closed. Suciu is in the wrong for sure.

OldmanEpic

« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
Haha this is mental.

I see where Kalis is coming from but im surprised he said(posted) anything about it.

Suicu is a beast

I actually think the ad idea is funny as fuck

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:34 AM »
 I understand kalis. Its like a corpo non skate company "stealing" a certain skate vibe created by skate rats and tries to capitalise on it without being part of this in the first place. However I hate corpos as much as I hate intellectual property. Coming to my mind corporations try to capitalize in things that are far more damaging for us, like monopolizing water and food so skate vibes are not exactly something I would bother with for now. Finally, this is the part where I say thats capitalism there is nothing sacred except profit, so suck it.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »
Skateboarding would be so boring if you could never do tricks at the same spot other people have done tricks. Were they suppose to put a disclaimer that Josh Kalis has done a trick here before? Even after Kalis's explanation I still don't see why anyone should hate it. If anything he should be hyped that someone remembered his idea after 15 years. It's not like Adidas or Susci are making it seem like they were the first to skate it like that.

Think if someone nabbed an iconic trick from Macba or Rincon and then got an ad with it? The most recent example I can think of is Ryan Gallants kick flip nose blunt down clipper. What if a mag gave Cole a cover with a bluntside down clipper? I'm with Kalis, it's a dope pic but it's a already been done. Different trick yeah, is it a tribute sure, but can they come up with something different? Yes. It's easy to claim homage. It's also possible the Adidas art director doesn't know about the original. Another point is LOVE is so big with so many things to hit, it's kinda weird that he wouldn't try get something different. Does anyone else think a layout pic of a bs noseslide on the fountain ledge at the bottom would look sick? Much better than this to be honest.

He turned the noseblunt f/s to backside

15 years of progression

LOVE 4EVER

You ever been to LOVE?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1501
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
From a photography standpoint, I like the Suciu ad better. In photography, the brightest parts of the photo and the biggest thing in the photo naturally and instantly draw your eyes.

The Kalis ad with LOVE sculpture being in color as opposed to all black and white screams photoshop and is a tired gimmick used in wedding/amateur photography so sadly that detracts from the timelessness of this image and naturally draws the eye to it instead of the skateboarding happening next to it and is almost equal in size or even larger than Kalis is in the photo so the skating carries less weight visually.

I'm sure everyone has seen countless images photoshopped like this by now:

The Adidas layout is similar in some ways so the biggest crime the graphic design department at Adidas committed is plagiarizing that lower white space for text.  I feel that incorporating a triangle for the text would have been more effective.  Triangles also naturally draw the eye so a triangle below Suciu skating would draw you to his name/trick name and actually also act as an arrow to direct your gaze to the skateboarding above it. 

Instead of saying "Introducing", the logo with the circles inside a triangle below the shoe they are trying to sell would again draw your eyes to it and direct your eyes like an arrow to the shoe above it.

abudabi

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
i cant be the only one who thinks including the love sign in a photo is a really fucking obvious idea...
or was skating a barrier off a ledge the Eureka! moment?

fuck. i say dumb shit too, and id be dumb not to respect kalis, but this is... dumb.

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »

Think if someone nabbed an iconic trick from Macba or Rincon and then got an ad with it? The most recent example I can think of is Ryan Gallants kick flip nose blunt down clipper. What if a mag gave Cole a cover with a bluntside down clipper? I'm with Kalis, it's a dope pic but it's a already been done. Different trick yeah, is it a tribute sure, but can they come up with something different? Yes. It's easy to claim homage. It's also possible the Adidas art director doesn't know about the original. Another point is LOVE is so big with so many things to hit, it's kinda weird that he wouldn't try get something different. Does anyone else think a layout pic of a bs noseslide on the fountain ledge at the bottom would look sick? Much better than this to be honest.

Nah. If someone did a proper kickflip b/s noseblunt down Clipper that was actually tweaked all the way, not that half-ass'd noseblunt Gallant did, then I think it's worthy of an ad or mag cover.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah, that was just him spitting blood on the walls and being arty. A decent apartment in NY probably costs a bomb.I can't really be fucked to get into it. Just the fact Dill is calling people out for being 'Up river' says it all really.

For what he had, he probably wasn't paying even 2 grand. New York isn't cheap, but its not to the point wear what he had cost 7 grand a month. Dill can say whatever he wants, so can Kalis. Too bad Kalis tends to say a lot about how butt hurt he is about people not giving a shit about his irrelevant skate career in 2015. DGK sucks.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
i can see both sides. i think it's sick that the vibe that kalis, stevie and dc put down is being carried forward for another generation but at the same time adidas could probably try distance it's marketing a little more or add something to it. getting called out doesn't seem that over the top and i don't see why it's so hard for people to get why kalis did it.

but if you look at something like zero's image and how much it's been recycled over the years, if your going to have a big impact your also gonna inspire others and get bit from time to time.

wattscain

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
i cant be the only one who thinks including the love sign in a photo is a really fucking obvious idea...
or was skating a barrier off a ledge the Eureka! moment?

fuck. i say dumb shit too, and id be dumb not to respect kalis, but this is... dumb.

I like the above statement.

It's not like the original DC ad broke any new ground advertising-wise. It was a big photo of a good trick with a picture of the shoe in the ad. I'm certain it was an idea destined to be repeated by another ad campaign because it wasn't that deep to begin with. DC has a history of great skaters and shoe innovations, but let's not think they were on the forefront of ad layouts.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:59:32 AM by Lizzie Borden »

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Haha why are people trying to make it sound like Adidas set this whole thing up? Some of you are acting like some marketing dude told Suciu to do this. Pretty sure he just skates there a lot and decided to do this as an ad. I doubt it was some scheme to target the skaters who'd remember the original ad. Some people are reading way too much into this shit, unless there's something Kalis knows that we don't then I still find all of this hate on Suciu/Adidas pretty stupid.
[close]

this. he was probably just skating at love and there happened to be a barrier. Maybe thought, "oh damn remember when people used to skate it like this back in the day?" then just shot a photo on it with the photographer. He has a mean bs noseblunt. Can't think of a better trick for that thing, and obviously the photo was gonna turn out amazing. It did, and they turned it in for an ad. That's probably pretty close to what actually happened, give or take a few details. Wasn't a diss to Kalis, probably wasn't a tribute. I bet it was just more of a nostalgia thing.

God. Who fucking cares. I just typed way too much.
[close]

The photographer (assuming he has seen some skate photos from the last 15 years) clearly based this composition on old photos which framed the Robert Indiana sculpture on one side and barrier on the other. Too bad he didn't hold the shutter open to illuminate more of the background.

The ad itself, like DC's pre-corporate standard layout, features an enlarged photo of the tilted shoe one one side, with a 3/4 page photo on the other. Also, the film edge is visible with the Fuji "RDP" code showing. DC ads always printed the film code, sometimes with the sprocket holes (35mm). This ad may have been shot with a digital camera with the film code added later--typically 120/220 rolls have numbered frames as well.

I think Chavo hit the nail on the head. It's more the image that Kalis is talking about. The main image is composed by the photographer and ultimately by the marketing person who does the edit for the add. Kalis added trick, barrier, and spot location, but it was the photographer (probably Blabac) who composed how the trick would be shown ultimately. I, personally like the DC add better, although Sucio's trick is fucking sick, I don't think the wide angle shot with the giant Adidas shoe on the side is a good look. Shit just seemed rushed and mediocre to me (and this is my preferred sweat-shop label when it comes to soccer related products). Therefore, if the marketing editor is going for the early DC look he sure is blowing it.

Props to Kalis for coming on slap and addressing some of this. Hopefully he doesn't get pulled in further to where we have to hear an extensive rant.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For what he had, he probably wasn't paying even 2 grand. New York isn't cheap, but its not to the point wear what he had cost 7 grand a month. Dill can say whatever he wants, so can Kalis. Too bad Kalis tends to say a lot about how butt hurt he is about people not giving a shit about his irrelevant skate career in 2015. DGK sucks.

Dude was living pretty lavish in his DITL episode. I am sure NY wasn't as expensive then but still, it's not like he didn't get hooked up.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3421
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
This thread is so up river.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude was living pretty lavish in his DITL episode. I am sure NY wasn't as expensive then but still, it's not like he didn't get hooked up.

Yeah but by the time he said the shit about Kalis, he had blown all his money. Shit, even back when he was on The Osbournes, he was on the show because he had no place to stay and had no money. In that Crailtap profile about Strobeck, he makes the point that Dill is doing good because he has an apartment now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
cant wait to see the footage where he grabs his crotch at the end of his line.....