Author Topic: Kalis facebook post  (Read 56125 times)

ChrisLambe94

Re: Kalis facebook post
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »
I had a few 6 ply 7.25 or smaller if they had em  haha Kalis AWS boards , they were too dope .

ill_Murray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2015, 09:28:17 PM »
If this shit goes any farther than 5 pages I'll go burn Love to the ground I swear to god
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2015, 10:04:21 PM »

These are from last year, but this is the ad format I feel Adidas is best at/known for. I just saw one of the Adidas X Spitfire ads in this months Thrasher and it was similar to these.
off note but holy shit busenitz kills it so hard, i still pissed i missed seeing him in person at soma.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm backing Kalis on this one.

It's not the trick, it's the . It raises the question - does Adidas have art dudes who would know they're biting a classic ad? Or was it an accident? Either way, not really cool of Adidas.

It's not like Kalis put everyone on blast, he just pointed out that Adidas should step their game up. A totally reasonable call I think.
[close]

This ^

[close]

I think it's great that Adidas ran the ad and I'm sure their art guys are well aware of the Love park history. BUT, this is not a rip off in "art-direction". Congrats to Josh for coming up with the genius idea but dragging a barrier to Love is not art direction. If anything, give the Adidas team some credit. They got Josh Kalis from DC to post their Adidas ad on his Facebook and share it with everyone. Now THAT is smart.

To say that it's a blatant rip off you would have to do the same trick, shoot it from the same angle and apply the same color treatment if you really want to take it all the way. Everyone knows this is not the first time Suciu skates love park. Even the barrier looks slanted. Not similar at all.

One does not need to emulate every aspect of something in order to be a "rip off". This, however, does not seem to be the issue. Beyond creating a parody or tribute or fraud, Adidas's staff just seems to be lazy and creatively uninspiring. Every month the same magazines need to fill an issue with new advertisements (for years and years). This was another one of those months.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2015, 10:34:15 PM »
the fuck did this thread make it past 2 pages? NBD, ABD, who cares.

shark tits

« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
the fuck did this thread make it past 2 pages? NBD, ABD, who cares.
we all want to see shit for brains burn love to the ground especially kalis. josh has it in his will 'when i die break all my toys so nobody else can play w/ them' including his granite from LOVE. every post even if ostensibly 'anti kalis' serves his agenda of destroying the landmark spot so nobody can go bs where he went fs. never again like the hall of cost.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2015, 03:37:55 AM »

I think it's great that Adidas ran the ad and I'm sure their art guys are well aware of the Love park history. BUT, this is not a rip off in "art-direction". Congrats to Josh for coming up with the genius idea but dragging a barrier to Love is not art direction. If anything, give the Adidas team some credit. They got Josh Kalis from DC to post their Adidas ad on his Facebook and share it with everyone. Now THAT is smart.

Adidas is winning here - competitor giving some free advertising.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2015, 05:51:38 AM »
If we all know it's a homage, yet Kalis isn't feeling it...and he said his piece about it on here.  How the fuck is this thread seven pages?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »
Saw this on Brian Panebianco IG, now there's two of them... Kalis needs to take this fuckers down!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2015, 06:27:45 AM »
Suciu definitetely  wore it better

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »
Quote from: TOAST-FACE KILLA  link=topic=86766.msg2361459#msg2361459 date=1438146261
Expand Quote

These are from last year, but this is the ad format I feel Adidas is best at/known for. I just saw one of the Adidas X Spitfire ads in this months Thrasher and it was similar to these.
[close]
off note but holy shit busenitz kills it so hard, i still pissed i missed seeing him in person at soma.

Busenitz can do no wrong. Speaking of Kalis, I wish he had been invited to the Dime MTL Glory Challenge, that would've been sick just on principle.

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2015, 08:13:43 AM »
Isn't the upriver thing more about how you spend your money, than about how much money you have? Kalis likes jock shit, whereas Dill splurges semi-ironically on high fashion. Or am I totally off?

Thanks to social media we at least now know that Kalis is looking for admiration and approval as much as Dill is. I just wish Kalis had never signed on here. He always seems so petty, even if he is right. Which I don't think he is in this case. You dragged the barrier, did you? Who gives a fuck man. You have a great legacy, don't undermine it by overestimating it.

Can someone elaborate on the Love Park shut down conspiracy? IF there is anything to that then Kalis really is a monumental kook.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Isn't the upriver thing more about how you spend your money, than about how much money you have? Kalis likes jock shit, whereas Dill splurges semi-ironically on high fashion. Or am I totally off?

Thanks to social media we at least now know that Kalis is looking for admiration and approval as much as Dill is. I just wish Kalis had never signed on here. He always seems so petty, even if he is right. Which I don't think he is in this case. You dragged the barrier, did you? Who gives a fuck man. You have a great legacy, don't undermine it by overestimating it.

Can someone elaborate on the Love Park shut down conspiracy? IF there is anything to that then Kalis really is a monumental kook.

I always took it as Dill referring to the differences in their lifestyles using Michigan terminology...upriver being more affluent suburbs past Detroit, downriver being the grittier lower class Michigan.

Cairo Foster and Kenny Reed were here for a little bit and wanted to move here. They were asked not to blow up the spot by doing so, so they left. It's a known thing certain undercover cops were wearing DC's. It was a pay-to-play scenario, plus to regulate the large numbers of out of towners and weekend warriors that would come skate.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

pcponearth

« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2015, 09:29:45 AM »
I was skating love the other day and Kalis happened to be there.  When i was warming up i did a couple of tre flips and Kalis happened to see one of them and came over to me, picked me up and throw me out of love park and in to the street yelling "i am Kalis and only I can tre flip in love park" then he skated away crying with his cell phone in hand going to social media to let everyone no if his contribution to skateboarding many years back.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 534
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
I was skating love the other day and Kalis happened to be there.  When i was warming up i did a couple of tre flips and Kalis happened to see one of them and came over to me, picked me up and throw me out of love park and in to the street yelling "i am Kalis and only I can tre flip in love park" then he skated away crying with his cell phone in hand going to social media to let everyone no if his contribution to skateboarding many years back.

^^^^ Lol.

excitableboy

« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »

I always took it as Dill referring to the differences in their lifestyles using Michigan terminology...upriver being more affluent suburbs past Detroit, downriver being the grittier lower class Michigan.

Cairo Foster and Kenny Reed were here for a little bit and wanted to move here. They were asked not to blow up the spot by doing so, so they left. It's a known thing certain undercover cops were wearing DC's. It was a pay-to-play scenario, plus to regulate the large numbers of out of towners and weekend warriors that would come skate.
Smart move. Cairo might well have beat him to that front noseblunt  ;D
So Kalis actually gave undercover cops shoes so locals could skate there?

DGKALIS

« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:37 AM »

Actually it doesn't have anything to do with money, but more about who you surround yourself with.
Im not sure what you mean by "jock shit". That's funny to me.
Conspiracy to shut down Love?? Haha. Please. We tried to save that shit for years.... In return for that... 9 years later... The city sued me for 160thousand fucking dollars and denied all my attorney appeals... And straight extorted me. As soon as the city council  man Nutter became mayor... He was on a mission to fuck me. And he did. It costs me 20k in attorneys for them to tell me... "Hey... This dudes got a hard on for you. It's gonna cost you way more to keep fighting them and they won't stop".
And yes... Paying off the skate task force was a way that we... We as in Stevie, KT, and all the locals could get a bit of a heads up before they came in and gripped people up.
This was when skaters where getting their ass beat and guns pulled on them. It was a bit more serious then. Nothing like getting hemmed up taken down to the concourse getting robbed and smacked up by the cops.
When the head cops accepted shoes as payment... It was on. That was for weekdays. I always went to nyc for the weekends.

FYI.... I wasn't there when Cairo and Kenny where there. But I remember hearing something about something. Had nothing to do with me. That may have been before I moved back.
When I lived there the second time... There were 15 or so pros that lived there... So it makes no sense someone would tell those dudes not to move there. Lol.

bo golden

« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:32 AM »
Sued you for what???

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
Quote from: DGKALIS
Actually it doesn't have anything to do with money, but more about who you surround yourself with.
Conspiracy to shut down Love?? Haha. Please. We tried to save that shit for years.... In return for that... 9 years later... The city sued me for 160thousand fucking dollars and denied all my attorney appeals... And straight extorted me. As soon as the city council  man Nutter became mayor... He was on a mission to fuck me. And he did. It costs me 20k in attorneys for them to tell me... "Hey... This dudes got a hard on for you. It's gonna cost you way more to keep fighting them and they won't stop".
And yes... Paying off the skate task force was a way that we... We as in Stevie, KT, and all the locals could get a bit of a heads up before they came in and gripped people up.
This was when skaters where getting their ass beat and guns pulled on them. It was a bit more serious then. Nothing like getting hemmed up taken down to the concourse getting robbed and smacked up by the cops.
When the head cops accepted shoes as payment... It was on. That was for weekdays. I always went to nyc for the weekends.

FYI.... I wasn't there when Cairo and Kenny where there. But I remember hearing something about something. Had nothing to do with me. That may have been before I moved back.
When I lived there the second time... There were 15 or so pros that lived there... So it makes no sense someone would tell those dudes not to move there. Lol.

Alright DGKALIS you covered like 4 different topics here^^^ TL;DR

I'm lost now

DGKALIS

« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
They claimed I paid no "city wage tax". It's a tax you have to pay when you live in Philly.
It was way past the 3 year statute... But my tax attorney I used in those days passed away a couple years before they came after me. So since I didn't have the original copies... I couldn't get them from him... And the city is the only entity that would have them... Thy said they didn't have them. Even though my fed and state were perfect.
Principal balance of 40k+penalties and interest=156k.
In the appeal... The judge was agreeing to re-paying the 40k as he saw no sign of malicious non pay... But the lady siting next to the Mayer was there and stood up and made a big fuss. They agreed (the judge and this lady) hat they would drop a percentage of the penalty. 117k owed. 3,100 a month for 3 years.
Fuckin sucked. I have 2 more payments.
He government there is so corrupt. Everything from dealing with them back in the day with DC offering the million after they said we could skate love if they got 100k a year, the. Denying... To the cops beating up skaters, to the way Mayer Street scandal on where he got the money to reduce Love with the planters and shit... To finally the bullshit in fight able case against me.

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I warned you about being sucked into a rant. This is not a full blown rant, but it looks like you are headed down that path. Don't know if this shit is river rafting but you better have a paddle homie because this Slap river is filled with piranhas all heading down river.

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wonder if cops would be more inclined to be bribed with Adidas shoes and gear instead of DC since Adidas has more of a universal appeal.

excitableboy

« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Conspiracy to shut down Love?? Haha. Please. We tried to save that shit for years.... In return for that... 9 years later... The city sued me for 160thousand fucking dollars and denied all my attorney appeals... And straight extorted me. As soon as the city council �man Nutter became mayor... He was on a mission to fuck me. And he did. It costs me 20k in attorneys for them to tell me... "Hey... This dudes got a hard on for you. It's gonna cost you way more to keep fighting them and they won't stop".

Hey I wasn't pretending to know what I'm talking about. I guess by jock I mean well-groomed, in a fast expensive car, mentioning how expensive his attorneys are.  

That's cool you found a way with the cops. I had a pair of white leather DC's during that time. They fell apart within weeks but I loved those shoes. I can see why they would rob you for them.

P Casanova

• Rep: -124
    • Eastern Exposure avatar image
« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »

DGKALIS

« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I warned you about being sucked into a rant. This is not a full blown rant, but it looks like you are headed down that path. Don't know if this shit is river rafting but you better have a paddle homie because this Slap river is filled with piranhas all heading down river.

Your reading this as a rant??
Nah. Just conversating.

bo golden

« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »
That really sucks man!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »
They claimed I paid no "city wage tax". It's a tax you have to pay when you live in Philly.
It was way past the 3 year statute... But my tax attorney I used in those days passed away a couple years before they came after me. So since I didn't have the original copies... I couldn't get them from him... And the city is the only entity that would have them... Thy said they didn't have them. Even though my fed and state were perfect.
Principal balance of 40k+penalties and interest=156k.
In the appeal... The judge was agreeing to re-paying the 40k as he saw no sign of malicious non pay... But the lady siting next to the Mayer was there and stood up and made a big fuss. They agreed (the judge and this lady) hat they would drop a percentage of the penalty. 117k owed. 3,100 a month for 3 years.
Fuckin sucked. I have 2 more payments.
He government there is so corrupt. Everything from dealing with them back in the day with DC offering the million after they said we could skate love if they got 100k a year, the. Denying... To the cops beating up skaters, to the way Mayer Street scandal on where he got the money to reduce Love with the planters and shit... To finally the bullshit in fight able case against me.
Damn, thats bullshit considering you were probably paying a sizable amount in basic property taxes at the time or inflated rent prices. Suck how cities can't see that places like love, pulaski, pier 7 and emb were culturally important because of skating, hopefully realizing this like with the Courthouse is a step in the right direction

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »
holy shit, kalis still making payments on that bs? that's the real tragedy of this thread. philly corrupt as fuck
:) I must have been tripping last night

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
Kalis....come on guy! you want us to feel sympathy? 3k a month for the last 3 years yet you can afford a lambo and a pristine z28 1969 camaro. Yeah a doubt 3k was killing your pockets. Love was big part of your prime and is where I who live in the west coast first heard about you. For what the city is making you pay I'm sure you made more while blowing up love. My problem isn't with you its with the mentally that you want to call dibs on a certain obstacle and image on Love specially something that happened 15 years ago. If your hate isn't with Adidas ( which you rode for) or Suciu (who i think was just paying tribute) then its that you in some way feel disrespected in something that seems like more of dab versus a diss. I like that you tried to change the subject by saying Philly made me pay money that i forgot to pay so i own it. If Suciu hadn't done it somebody else would have done it in years to come and I'm sure somebody will eventually do it switch, but in no way is that disrespect its progression. So get out of the way and enjoy it instead.