Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 784865 times)

Chimppimpin and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4740 on: October 31, 2022, 12:06:38 PM »
Wow those white 808s are perfect.

(Remind me of my Converee Chany’s that I loved way more than I should have)

MikeX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #4741 on: November 01, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »
It's been a decade since I last felt real pangs of sadness about athletic shoe brands destroying the skater-owned/founded brands. The "market has spoken"; you can't cry over spilled milk; that's how it is on this bitch of an earth; and 10,000 more clishes about accepting the awfulness of reality.

At any rate, I think the new balance "N" is at least as cool looking and/or dorky as the three stripes and the swoosh - and it sits closer to the sideways "E"s of Etnies and Emerica, making them look more like classic skate shoes to me. I understand that NB's reputational whiplash from retirement home clunkers in the 90s/00s to their hypebeast turn in the last decade -combined with the fact that they were the last athletic brand to decide to pilfer the sk8 industry and thus signalled the nail in the coffin for core brands - will turn people off from them, perhaps rightfully. But they make good shoes, for sk8 and otherwise... I just think they're neat.

Also from a design stand point the letter "N" has a lot less flow to it than the nike swoosh or adidas stripes or vans jazz stripe, so it stands out rather than being part of the shoe. Making it somewhat of an eyesore to some. Personally I'm ok with it, it just throws me off when I look at them in the mirror because its backwards.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4742 on: November 01, 2022, 08:47:04 AM »
I can't really tell you why but NB is the only brand among the corpo skate take over that I can wear. (Aside from VF of course)

Might be bc the internet has convinced me they have a way better enviro/ labor record than the others.

I'm OK with the N but have razor bladed a few off some 212s here and there.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #4743 on: November 01, 2022, 11:32:30 AM »
I can't really tell you why but NB is the only brand among the corpo skate take over that I can wear. (Aside from VF of course)

Might be bc the internet has convinced me they have a way better enviro/ labor record than the others.

I worked for NB 13 years ago. It’s a really solid/ethical company. We would give away shoes to the unfortunate folks during Xmas. We would sell mismatched shoes for a regular price (for people with different sized feet). We would sell just one shoe to people missing feet and etc). The company would take a loss in both these scenarios. There was so much we did just based on goodwill. I don’t see anything like that at Nike or Adidas. In fact, living in portland I have a ton of friends at adidas and Nike. Pretty much all of them are contract employees and don’t get health insurance and etc. I used to get NB at massive discounts, now I pay full price like a normie because I believe in the company so much.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4744 on: November 01, 2022, 11:42:11 AM »
Thanks for that take. Things like this do play into my consumer choices and I really like the shoes.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #4745 on: November 01, 2022, 03:06:18 PM »

It would be so sick is NB made a skateable 850. Tiago, make em do it.
my man, i made this same post some pages back, let's just keep pressing these fools

rothdigga

• Rep: 574
« Reply #4746 on: November 01, 2022, 04:59:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
my man, i made this same post some pages back, let's just keep pressing these fools
you guys realize the first run of NM1010's was this colorway exactly above and they bit our style on this 850 right?  It came out for Numeric back in July 2020 or so.  Search NM1010WT online and you might find a pair or 2 floating out there.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4747 on: November 02, 2022, 06:30:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
you guys realize the first run of NM1010's was this colorway exactly above and they bit our style on this 850 right?  It came out for Numeric back in July 2020 or so.  Search NM1010WT online and you might find a pair or 2 floating out there.

Kinda sick that y’all did such a good job that they bit it

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • RIP
« Reply #4748 on: November 02, 2022, 10:58:49 AM »
Wait, I thought that850 was from Summer '19? Supposedly it's a re-release of its original colorway from 1998

https://sneakernews.com/2019/06/27/new-balance-850-aime-leon-dore/

I thought that first 1010 was a standby NB scheme - it definitely looks classic!

Anyhow, it's not just the colorway that I like! It seems likely that the 1010 was inspired by the 850, in more than just its coloring. And I wanna skate it!

IpathCats

« Reply #4749 on: November 02, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »
It's been a decade since I last felt real pangs of sadness about athletic shoe brands destroying the skater-owned/founded brands. The "market has spoken"; you can't cry over spilled milk; that's how it is on this bitch of an earth; and 10,000 more clishes about accepting the awfulness of reality.

At any rate, I think the new balance "N" is at least as cool looking and/or dorky as the three stripes and the swoosh - and it sits closer to the sideways "E"s of Etnies and Emerica, making them look more like classic skate shoes to me. I understand that NB's reputational whiplash from retirement home clunkers in the 90s/00s to their hypebeast turn in the last decade -combined with the fact that they were the last athletic brand to decide to pilfer the sk8 industry and thus signalled the nail in the coffin for core brands - will turn people off from them, perhaps rightfully. But they make good shoes, for sk8 and otherwise... I just think they're neat.

I'm a huge NB fan, I have 4 pairs on my shoe rack currently. But you're fucking fried if you think the "N" looks anywhere near as good as the swoosh or stripes in MOST applications.

That big ass etnies "E" was horrible too.

The N looks best on their most retro looking shoes, i think its cool on the 1010, and I just got a pair of the 650 highs that look pretty sick IMO.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4750 on: November 02, 2022, 06:56:54 PM »
I think it's all the same to me. You think a swoosh looked great on shoes at the time? Prob not, but we're all just used to it. I think it's placement on lots of Nikes is egregious. I don't love the N always- I remove it sometimes if it makes the shoe look better. But in reviews I see it is always called out specifically and I don't see other stuff called out. I see tons of pairs of Adidas with ripped stripes at the park and it makes me think like "wow adding something that just rips, but we are used to looking at, is OK, but something outside of the wear area that goes with another brand's aesthetics and is often pretty inoffensive isn't?" Kinda selective bias.

Hearing all that other good stuff makes me even more happy that the shoes fit my feet and work for me.

JoeChrome

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4751 on: November 02, 2022, 10:27:20 PM »
I Do NOT Skateboard

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4752 on: November 03, 2022, 07:48:36 AM »
As far as soulless big company logos go, the swoosh and the stripes at least attempt to use graphic design as iconography. NB is literally a bold N. Not that I have anything against wearing NB but I can see why some would have a problem with NB's logo and not think twice about nike or adidas.

Dolphinpony

• Rep: -8
  • i do not agree for slap magazine to selll my info
« Reply #4753 on: November 03, 2022, 10:01:38 AM »

What is vf? I'm drawing a blank
i do not agree for slap magazine to sell my person information to facebook or mark zuccerberg this is legally binding

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4754 on: November 03, 2022, 10:05:37 AM »
VF corps. The parent company for Vans.

We all associate Vans as a 'core' company bc of how long they have been in skateboarding but....

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #4755 on: November 03, 2022, 11:01:31 AM »

Anyone know when these are going to drop in the US? Also any other insight of upcoming future colorways? Seeing if I should buy the beef & broccoli colorway now or wait, love the 1010!

rothdigga

« Reply #4756 on: November 03, 2022, 12:13:48 PM »

Anyone know when these are going to drop in the US? Also any other insight of upcoming future colorways? Seeing if I should buy the beef & broccoli colorway now or wait, love the 1010!

Those are Holiday 1010's that are going to hit any day now.  Our warehouse is super overwhelmed so they're being checked in and I'm hoping to push those out to shops any day now.  There's also a phantom/orange pop 1010 color for Holiday as well coming at the same time but that white/navy one is very crispy. 

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #4757 on: November 03, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are Holiday 1010's that are going to hit any day now.  Our warehouse is super overwhelmed so they're being checked in and I'm hoping to push those out to shops any day now.  There's also a phantom/orange pop 1010 color for Holiday as well coming at the same time but that white/navy one is very crispy.

PICS!!
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4758 on: November 03, 2022, 12:56:37 PM »
Classic question: how's the sizing on 808?
I wear size 8 (US) in Nike and almost all the NB# I skated were 8.5 with the exception of 420 which felt huge. Should I go for the classic half size up?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rothdigga

« Reply #4759 on: November 03, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
I wear size 8 (US) in Nike and almost all the NB# I skated were 8.5 with the exception of 420 which felt huge. Should I go for the classic half size up?
I would.  Maybe someone else has info but the 808 is a bit snug over the top so if you've already gone .5 up on NB#, roll with that. 

rothdigga

« Reply #4760 on: November 03, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

PICS!!

They're out in Europe and Canada already.  NM1010PW if you search but here's a link to a site that has them up in Montreal.
https://lopezmtl.com/en-us/products/nm1010pw-phantom-orange

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4761 on: November 03, 2022, 01:22:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would.  Maybe someone else has info but the 808 is a bit snug over the top so if you've already gone .5 up on NB#, roll with that.
As usual you da MVP
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • RIP
« Reply #4762 on: November 03, 2022, 02:31:58 PM »
Da NBVP

rothdigga

« Reply #4763 on: November 03, 2022, 03:46:40 PM »
Anyone has any idea on why NewBalance.com would take down the Brown/green 1010's off their website after being available for purchase for a week or so? lol I missed out and didnt buy them quick enough :(

These are back up on the site...FYI.  But please find a shop to snag them at first if you're gonna get some.  We had a good amount of shops get them from our reps. 

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #4764 on: November 03, 2022, 05:45:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone has any idea on why NewBalance.com would take down the Brown/green 1010's off their website after being available for purchase for a week or so? lol I missed out and didnt buy them quick enough :(
[close]

These are back up on the site...FYI.  But please find a shop to snag them at first if you're gonna get some.  We had a good amount of shops get them from our reps.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies, another reason why I support NB, we got a strong community in here!

eSK3

« Reply #4765 on: November 03, 2022, 06:35:24 PM »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4766 on: November 04, 2022, 06:01:08 AM »
I just wanted to say, that this thread alone made me consider to get some NB# shoes. Breaking some 440s in right now and so far I like them. More companies should have a communication person like @rothdigga
IG: @flowterspace

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #4767 on: November 04, 2022, 08:40:11 AM »
I just wanted to say, that this thread alone made me consider to get some NB# shoes. Breaking some 440s in right now and so far I like them. More companies should have a communication person like @rothdigga

I agree, surprise we dont see other companies doing it, I know we got an active Emerica guy on slap as well, i like knowing I can ask a question and get a response pretty quickly, keeps me loyal to NB, its pretty sick

rothdigga

« Reply #4768 on: November 04, 2022, 10:13:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree, surprise we dont see other companies doing it, I know we got an active Emerica guy on slap as well, i like knowing I can ask a question and get a response pretty quickly, keeps me loyal to NB, its pretty sick
I'm one of you!  It's like that Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror episode..."one of us!" with the Island Of Dr Moreau spoof

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4769 on: November 04, 2022, 09:42:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'm one of you!  It's like that Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror episode..."one of us!" with the Island Of Dr Moreau spoof

That’s a Freaks/Ramones reference!  I’m a little disappointed