Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 765955 times)

dunc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4770 on: November 04, 2022, 10:51:52 PM »
The challenger 440 has a slippery stuck down inner sole. Why? I loved that colour combo but the inner is like grease.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #4771 on: November 05, 2022, 06:47:03 PM »
The challenger 440 has a slippery stuck down inner sole. Why? I loved that colour combo but the inner is like grease.

I think it’s how they print the graphic on there. I saw the same problem with the Foy #306 X Deathwish collab. They should really stop making the insoles like that

DanRar009

• Rep: 38
« Reply #4772 on: November 06, 2022, 06:52:11 AM »
When exactly do the phantom/orange 1010s come out in the U.S?

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4773 on: November 06, 2022, 07:38:21 AM »
For the 440 lovers, do both the lows and highs run true to size? In case it helps, the last 6-7 pairs of shoes I've had are a mix of Crockett lows and highs.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #4774 on: November 06, 2022, 09:46:06 AM »
For the 440 lovers, do both the lows and highs run true to size? In case it helps, the last 6-7 pairs of shoes I've had are a mix of Crockett lows and highs.
both 440's run true to size, i find the crocket his to be much wider though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4775 on: November 06, 2022, 11:18:59 AM »
I have wide feet and so far 440 always TTS. The highs feel a bit less stiff. 1010 I'm between sizes but mostly cuz I have low volume feet. 272 I was definitely a half size down when I tried them on.

The 272 woulda been great if not for the fact that the heel goes straight up vertically. Not very good heel lock but the rest was perfect.

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4776 on: November 06, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
Do the 808s feel better once broke in? I just tried a pair on and they felt so stiff, and the board feel was very numb feeling.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4777 on: November 06, 2022, 03:14:00 PM »
My buddy that has them said it's been rough. He wore them around on a long walk a few times before but the first week was terrible. He likes really thick cups (not sure about stiff) and never give up on stuff so he will skate them through their life but he's had a tough time.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 30
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #4778 on: November 06, 2022, 03:17:57 PM »
Do the 808s feel better once broke in? I just tried a pair on and they felt so stiff, and the board feel was very numb feeling.
I tried them on and instantly knew they would take forever to break in. Super comfy but wayyy stiff

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4779 on: November 06, 2022, 06:25:02 PM »
Skated the 808 today for the first time and I love them so much

hayduke lives

• Rep: 35
« Reply #4780 on: November 06, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »
@rothdigga just curious if there was a timeline you could divulge on any vegan options in the pipeline? maybe more 420s or i think it was 440s that were mentioned back in september?

eSK3

« Reply #4781 on: November 06, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »

I’ve skated the first color to the point they are broken in and they feel really good. The foam around the mid foot packed out to my arch shape. Took about a week of casual walking then about 3 sessions. The fit improves as it packs out a bit. Don’t give up on them too quickly.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4782 on: November 07, 2022, 05:56:30 AM »
Expand Quote
I just wanted to say, that this thread alone made me consider to get some NB# shoes. Breaking some 440s in right now and so far I like them. More companies should have a communication person like @rothdigga
[close]

I agree, surprise we dont see other companies doing it, I know we got an active Emerica guy on slap as well, i like knowing I can ask a question and get a response pretty quickly, keeps me loyal to NB, its pretty sick
Same here, before moving back to South America I was only skating NB#, once ai moved couldn't find them there, now back in Europe and I've been trying a bunch of stuff just to remember about NB# great support + the shoes always worked great for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #4783 on: November 07, 2022, 06:29:45 AM »
@rothdigga just curious if there was a timeline you could divulge on any vegan options in the pipeline? maybe more 420s or i think it was 440s that were mentioned back in september?
Echoing this request

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4784 on: November 07, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Echoing this request

heard from a friend of a friend vegan 440s are on the way

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #4785 on: November 07, 2022, 09:41:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Echoing this request
[close]

heard from a friend of a friend vegan 440s are on the way
really hoping for lows, but if they're a Ryan Lay thing I imagine they will be highs

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
« Reply #4786 on: November 07, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
MORE POINTLESS REISSUE REQUESTS:

That CT535 and CT660 would be soooo damn nice. My recent interest in NB largely stems from seeing Tiago skate some 550s in that MACBA line in Define. It seems that NB doesn't want to cross streams with the skate line and their mainstream/lifestyle/athletic lines... but it would be very dope if they did.

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #4787 on: November 07, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »

Next batch won't sadly be until Summer 2023 for us.  Vegan 440 (it's a low) will be out around the same time as the next 420 colorway. 

hayduke lives

« Reply #4788 on: November 07, 2022, 02:07:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Next batch won't sadly be until Summer 2023 for us.  Vegan 440 (it's a low) will be out around the same time as the next 420 colorway.

thanks, appreciate the response.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4789 on: November 07, 2022, 04:38:22 PM »

That CT535 and CT660 would be soooo damn nice. My recent interest in NB largely stems from seeing Tiago skate some 550s in that MACBA line in Define. It seems that NB doesn't want to cross streams with the skate line and their mainstream/lifestyle/athletic lines... but it would be very dope if they did.

Yesssssssssss

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #4790 on: November 08, 2022, 03:53:26 AM »

Would be great to get some of these options but they’d end up turning into dunks and only non skaters would be getting their hands on them.

Was a little surprised how shitty the materials are on the 550s when I saw a deconstruction video on them. Super thin, plastic coated leather.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #4791 on: November 08, 2022, 07:03:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Would be great to get some of these options but they’d end up turning into dunks and only non skaters would be getting their hands on them.

Was a little surprised how shitty the materials are on the 550s when I saw a deconstruction video on them. Super thin, plastic coated leather.
hate to do a nb defense post but -

to be fair, it seems to be most fashion/casual sneakers at this point have leather like that. especially the ones that one dude does teardowns of. dunks really didn't fare much better iirc. regardless, the 550 is still a good shoe i m o, dunno if i'd skate them though if only because of their lack of boardfeel and they are pretty weighty all things considered

and speaking of dunks, nb has done better (lately) than nike about getting 550's out with enough stock & keeping the bots away. taking a look on their site, they have almost all of their 550 models in stock in most sizes, the only ones sold out being kids models. so here's hoping if any of those CT series make it to reality, we'd be able to get them

actionhack

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4792 on: November 09, 2022, 04:16:01 AM »
I’m curious when those New Balance x Primitive 1010’s will be dropping.

IpathCats

« Reply #4793 on: November 09, 2022, 06:02:48 AM »

Yea most of these fuck. Especially if they did some more modern colorways, these could basically all be sick.

Also coming here to plug my 3 pairs of 1010's (size 10) for sale in the classified section. will post pics soon

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124145.0

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #4794 on: November 09, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

to be fair, it seems to be most fashion/casual sneakers at this point have leather like that. especially the ones that one dude does teardowns of. dunks really didn't fare much better iirc.

He said the 550s leather is definitely worse than Nike. The leather doesn't even have grain pattern, its cheap suede with a thick plastic layering. It’s also ~1mm thick, Dunks ~1.5mm and SB Dunks ~1.8mm

Leather quality aside, the 550s are well built and a great looking shoe imo.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
« Reply #4795 on: November 09, 2022, 12:38:03 PM »
Well, 550s are NOT a skate shoe. It shouldn't be surprising that they use materials that don't have durability in mind.

These new suede ones look much more skateable tho: https://www.newbalance.com/pd/bb550/BB550V1-40557.html

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #4796 on: November 09, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

to be fair, it seems to be most fashion/casual sneakers at this point have leather like that. especially the ones that one dude does teardowns of. dunks really didn't fare much better iirc.
[close]

He said the 550s leather is definitely worse than Nike. The leather doesn't even have grain pattern, its cheap suede with a thick plastic layering. It’s also ~1mm thick, Dunks ~1.5mm and SB Dunks ~1.8mm

Leather quality aside, the 550s are well built and a great looking shoe imo.

yeah honestly i didn't clock the difference only that they were both meh leather and i might be recalling the non-sb dunk vs sb dunk video more than the 550 re: comparison, so ty for the clarification on that

and definitely agree that they are well built and look great

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4797 on: November 09, 2022, 01:36:43 PM »
Would there ever be a comfort or performance related reason for using a thinner leather? Like getting a shoe that flexes and molds to the foot better? I had a pair of leather dunks one that were stiff as hell until weeks and weeks in and then they looked like a wrinkly albino ballsack.

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #4798 on: November 09, 2022, 04:42:40 PM »
I have heard that the 440 high is wider than the low.  Is this the whole shoe, or a certain section?

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #4799 on: November 10, 2022, 08:03:37 AM »
I'm not one to break away from "core" brands besides Vans, but something about NB# is intriguing since they do seem to have really supportive shoes. So far I've tried on the 440 and 1010. 440 felt meh and not really cupsole-ey for being one, and the 1010 is way too agressive of an arch and feels like I'm walking with my heels raised too much, they hurt my feet just walking around the shop in them. But I really want to like them at the same time. Dumb rant over, cheers frens.