Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 765592 times)

Acky Jacky

Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #2640 on: December 03, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My girlfriend passed by my computer screen and saw the 440 Hi's... all she said was 'wrestling shoes' and I took them out of my shopping cart.
[close]

We'd have a LOT more shoes (and less money) if it weren't for our better halves. God bless 'em.

I always get bummed when it happens but then a few weeks down the line I always see she was right
[close]

I make my fashion decisions independent of my girlfriend, but I can’t cast stones in this glass house of mine.
[close]
I'm very happy to have my girlfriend check me and tell me when I'm gonna look like a fool and be $100 out.
She's got my back and knows me better than I know me, dog.   

Are you assuming she's telling me to wear Ugg boots or something?
I can’t gauge it over the internet. I have friends that don’t realize they’re being manipulated by their significant others into dressing or behaving a certain way, but it’s super noticeable to everyone else. I basically have just had to clean up my act and stop blackout drinking and picking fights with strangers.

However, I don’t need a second opinion on what shoes or clothes I like. I like what I like.

Edit: also, how dare you imply your girlfriend is saving you from making bad footwear decisions while you’re in the upcoming shoe release thread asking if you should size up in some éS Quattro’s.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:30:07 PM by Count Jackula »

IanBZHD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2641 on: December 03, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My girlfriend passed by my computer screen and saw the 440 Hi's... all she said was 'wrestling shoes' and I took them out of my shopping cart.
[close]

We'd have a LOT more shoes (and less money) if it weren't for our better halves. God bless 'em.

I always get bummed when it happens but then a few weeks down the line I always see she was right
[close]

I make my fashion decisions independent of my girlfriend, but I can’t cast stones in this glass house of mine.
[close]
I'm very happy to have my girlfriend check me and tell me when I'm gonna look like a fool and be $100 out.
She's got my back and knows me better than I know me, dog.   

Are you assuming she's telling me to wear Ugg boots or something?
[close]
I can’t gauge it over the internet. I have friends that don’t realize they’re being manipulated by their significant others into dressing or behaving a certain way, but it’s super noticeable to everyone else. I basically have just had to clean up my act and stop blackout drinking and picking fights with strangers.

However, I don’t need a second opinion on what shoes or clothes I like. I like what I like.

Edit: also, how dare you imply your girlfriend is saving you from making bad footwear decisions while you’re in the upcoming shoe release thread asking if you should size up in some éS Quattro’s.
I'm feeding trolls at this point

I understand what you're saying I just don't have that problem with my girlfriend trying to dress me, she offered her opinion and I took it into consideration. Not all girlfriends are evil life suckers like your friends seem to have.
Just because I didn't buy the New Balances doesn't mean I don't need shoes at all, so yeah I asked about sizing info for a pair of shoes that were on sale. For the record I love NB's and the 400Hi's are still cool man, I just didn't buy em.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2642 on: December 03, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
I’m projecting the loss of my friends autonomy onto other people, dick move on my part. My tone was supposed to be more jocular about the Quattro’s. To each their own, I hope everyone here has supportive partners who only want the best for their other halves.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2643 on: December 03, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »
These?  @Murge
New Balance Numeric 440 Shoes - Black / White

Summer 2018 @rothdigga

Yes! I loved them. I put white laces on them and they looked aces with the white tongue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:14:19 AM by Murge »

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2644 on: December 04, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »
These?  @Murge
New Balance Numeric 440 Shoes - Black / White

Summer 2018 @rothdigga

Yeah man, I had to dig deep in our digital catalogs to find those bad boys.  Summer 2018 is right so it's going to be awful hard to find those again.  I'll throw those into the mix when we're discussing bringing back OG colorways next time. 

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2645 on: December 04, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
@rothdigga I appreciate it!

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2646 on: December 04, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
I've come to be a pretty diehard NB fan when it comes to skate shoes. I need a replacement insole though, the stock ones in the 306s are murdering my feet. Anyone have a rec for insoles that fit well specifically in New Balances? I'm thinking about FP Gamechangers but idk how they fit and I don't wanna be out that much cash if they're a bust in the New Balances

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #2647 on: December 04, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
I've come to be a pretty diehard NB fan when it comes to skate shoes. I need a replacement insole though, the stock ones in the 306s are murdering my feet. Anyone have a rec for insoles that fit well specifically in New Balances? I'm thinking about FP Gamechangers but idk how they fit and I don't wanna be out that much cash if they're a bust in the New Balances

not specificly skate insoles, but i have a pair of dr scholl's heavy duty support in some 440s that i have 0 issue with. ymmv though

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2648 on: December 04, 2020, 02:55:39 PM »
I put game changers in my 420s, bets decision ever

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #2649 on: December 05, 2020, 02:24:45 AM »

I been wearing the low profile game changers in everything from adidas lucas adv to blazer mids and had them in my nb 440s also- they fit quite good, meaning, that they feel just as high as the stock insole or do not take up too much extra space in the shoes. since you warm them up for molding to your foot i feel like they fit really well, at least for me!

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #2650 on: December 05, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
dumb question, do you replace the regular insole or just lay it on top
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2651 on: December 05, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »
dumb question, do you replace the regular insole or just lay it on top

Take it out. It’ll be too thick if you put two insoles and for sure no will be no board feel.

Expand Quote
[close]

I been wearing the low profile game changers in everything from adidas lucas adv to blazer mids and had them in my nb 440s also- they fit quite good, meaning, that they feel just as high as the stock insole or do not take up too much extra space in the shoes. since you warm them up for molding to your foot i feel like they fit really well, at least for me!

That’s the only insole I have ever skated since they came out. NB# or not.  I don’t think I have ever skated a stock insole of a shoe since I’ve been using the game changers. They fit true to size. You have to get the insoles that are obviously the shoes of your shoes. I’m a 9 so I use the size 9/9.5 insoles. Then they have 10/10.5, 11/11.5, etc....

Pricey but well worth the investment. The ones I’m skating now I’ve used for 4 years or so.

https://footprintinsoletechnology.com/product/gamechangers-2/
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

mini greek

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2652 on: December 06, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »
@rothdigga I appreciate it!
We have another basic black/white color way in the pipeline but not till the back half of '21.
That shoe does so well in colors and in whites that it was tough to squeeze in a basic black, but finally found a spot for one then. We have a black suede coming sooner, but black/white will be a minute unfortunately...
@rothdigga
Get litty.....

Kevve

« Reply #2653 on: December 08, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »
I've skated my 1010s for a month ish now and wow are they comfy! I love how soft and padded up they feel. It's like night and day compared to my old vans. Different types of shoes sure, but I think I prefer a cupsole for now.

What other shoes feels like a 1010? Brand doesn't matter as long as they're a cupsole with a lil padding. My knees get so sore fromwalking around too much in vans etc.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2654 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:29 PM »
I've skated my 1010s for a month ish now and wow are they comfy! I love how soft and padded up they feel. It's like night and day compared to my old vans. Different types of shoes sure, but I think I prefer a cupsole for now.

What other shoes feels like a 1010? Brand doesn't matter as long as they're a cupsole with a lil padding. My knees get so sore fromwalking around too much in vans etc.

Some recommendations that could be similar are:
- Busenitz (thinner toe though)
- SB Dunks
- DC Maswell (harder sole and not as cushiony of an insole though)
- Reynolds G6 (RIP)
- NB 533 (V1 and V2) if you can still find them.
- Lakai Atlantic/Proto/Carrol XLK are in the vein of tech cupsole like 1010 but less padded and more board freely.

My personal recommendations are:
- Marana, Joslin 1, and Joslin 2. They are all padded cupsoles with a comfy insole. They are somewhat similar to the Tiago in padding, shape, and comfort in my opinion. Just got Tiagos and boy are they nice!!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2655 on: December 09, 2020, 05:08:19 AM »
I find the Tyshawn and 1010 feel very similar, aside from the Tyshawn being cut a little higher at the ankle. Both have a bit of a stiff/hard sole out of the box, but break in nicely. Similar level of padding to the upper. Both felt a little tight on my forefoot/toes, but I imagine if one fits you well, the other would too.

SteveStuart

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2656 on: December 10, 2020, 09:07:58 PM »

The 306 is just not a supportive, cushioned or comfortable shoe. I'm not sure how much an insole will help.

306 is barebones for boardfeel I guess, wasn't worth it to me... back to cupsoles
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:34:25 PM by SteveStuart »

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2657 on: December 11, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 306 is just not a supportive, cushioned or comfortable shoe. I'm not sure how much an insole will help.

306 is barebones for boardfeel I guess, wasn't worth it to me... back to cupsoles

Funny cause I just started skating the 306s and support feels great, only because I just had the eS Accel Slim before they put those Energy insoles in them and they were thin as shit.

topfrog10

« Reply #2658 on: December 15, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hey coming back to this, how long did it take to really break your gamechangers in? Put mine in my shoes yesterday and my feet have been sore all day today from them. Not sure what the break-in period is expected to be.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2659 on: December 15, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
Put mine in my shoes yesterday and my feet have been sore all day today from them. Not sure what the break-in period is expected to be.
Just curious, do you have medium/high arches?

topfrog10

« Reply #2660 on: December 15, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Put mine in my shoes yesterday and my feet have been sore all day today from them. Not sure what the break-in period is expected to be.
[close]
They're on the lower side of medium arch, i'm not sure i would call them flat arches though. does that affect the break in period?

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2661 on: December 16, 2020, 05:28:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
They're on the lower side of medium arch, i'm not sure i would call them flat arches though. does that affect the break in period?

If you're not used to wearing shoes or insoles with arch support, you'll probably have to wear them for a bit to get used to it. You're breaking your feet in more than you're breaking the insoles in. Your arches have probably fallen somewhat due to lack of support, and the insoles are helping put it back where it belongs. Hard to say how long it will take you personally to get used to them, but I would say to just wear them daily just to walk around, and stop when your feet start hurting. You'll adjust a little more each time you wear them (i.e. you'll be able to wear them say an hour one day, hour and a half the next day, etc.). Kind of annoying, but it's good for your feet in the long run. They'll get a little more comfortable each time you wear them until they eventually feel right.

arnold schwarzenegger

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2662 on: December 16, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

+

So you just trim away the stitching on the sides of the Gamechanger insoles? They are hella wide and don't fit in my 440's at all. I've trimmed all the way down to 1mm safespace next to the stitching and the sides still curl up in the shoes. Incredibly uncomfortable to wear shoes where my flat foot is resting on the side of the insole
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:53:48 AM by arnold schwarzenegger »

topfrog10

« Reply #2663 on: December 17, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

If you're not used to wearing shoes or insoles with arch support, you'll probably have to wear them for a bit to get used to it. You're breaking your feet in more than you're breaking the insoles in. Your arches have probably fallen somewhat due to lack of support, and the insoles are helping put it back where it belongs. Hard to say how long it will take you personally to get used to them, but I would say to just wear them daily just to walk around, and stop when your feet start hurting. You'll adjust a little more each time you wear them (i.e. you'll be able to wear them say an hour one day, hour and a half the next day, etc.). Kind of annoying, but it's good for your feet in the long run. They'll get a little more comfortable each time you wear them until they eventually feel right.
I've been wearing them for three days and they finally started to feel comfy when i loosened my 306s because i was getting pain on the top of my foot. they felt great until i sprained my ankle because of how loose they were. gonna have to find some roomier skate shoe to work with the insoles i think.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2664 on: December 18, 2020, 09:36:16 AM »
There's a separate topic about insoles, but if you have a medium arch, you should have a flat insole. Your arch doesn't fall due to lack of support. IF you have arches, the arch is the spring that absorbs the impact, IF you have flat feet, then get gamechangers to absorb that impact that isn't absorbed in the foot.

It is a common misconception that we should match the insoles to the shape of a high arch, because you will roll your ankle instead of absorb the impact throughout the foot.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2665 on: December 18, 2020, 06:57:49 PM »
Decided to break out the PJ1s for some Sick(h) inspiration after seeing a LOT of PJ footy lately  :D

Debating on skating these soon! I keep going back and forth on skating them because they FEEL amazing and I don't want to create a void since these are no longer made. xD I have a pair of the 2s also, but I know they are being phased out. I'll just wear em casually and admire them lol
Super Champion Fun Zone

topfrog10

« Reply #2666 on: December 18, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
There's a separate topic about insoles, but if you have a medium arch, you should have a flat insole. Your arch doesn't fall due to lack of support. IF you have arches, the arch is the spring that absorbs the impact, IF you have flat feet, then get gamechangers to absorb that impact that isn't absorbed in the foot.

It is a common misconception that we should match the insoles to the shape of a high arch, because you will roll your ankle instead of absorb the impact throughout the foot.

it appears i've learned this the hard way. sorry for messing with this thread, do you have any sources for this info where i can read more about it? i didn't know any of this because everything seems to say if i have a medium arch get medium arched insoles.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2667 on: December 19, 2020, 06:57:27 AM »
When approximately is the next color-way of the 440hi slated to drop? I don’t know what spring means in fashion retail vernacular, February? March?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2668 on: December 19, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it appears i've learned this the hard way. sorry for messing with this thread, do you have any sources for this info where i can read more about it? i didn't know any of this because everything seems to say if i have a medium arch get medium arched insoles.

Didn't expect to walk into this information but I'm happy I did. I always wondered if the relationship to the type of your arch was inverse to the type of insole. As in, the flatter your feet, the more arch support you need/more arch you have, the flatter the insole needs to be OR no arch, flat insole/more arch, arched insole.

The established belief is inverse, right? I have medium arches I believe and I noticed that some shoes (notably Busenitz pro, matchcourt, and 3st.004) have this weird bump (probably for support  ::)) in the arch area of the shoe and it was so uncomfortable on my feet. Now I know why! I needed the insole to be flatter than it was since I have medium arches. That being said, I enjoy insoles that are contoured to the foot but aren't overbearing on arch support (Es STI energy, g6, Etnies pro foam 1, ultracush/pop (when I still liked Vans), lunarlon, zoom air, etc.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me