Author Topic: New Volcom video coming: Holy Stokes  (Read 55584 times)

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: New Volcom video coming: Holy Stokes
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2016, 07:25:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Just got back from the premiere. Daan had an amazing part. Trahan had a sizeable chunk of footage (maybe 1:30?) Mostly NYC shit, all pretty cool. Busenitz might be slowing down -- all throwaway NYC shit (sans two table tricks), and he had one line at the Bronx courthouse that was super weak. No Thrasher cover, either).
[close]

C'mon man, his last full part was like a week ago.
Yeah, and that one was pretty weak too.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »
I went to the Jakarta premiere and it was highly lame. Free entry, but the venue doubled their regular drink prices, so it was the opposite of pretty much every premiere I've been to. The sound was shit and seemed like it was edited with a fuckin MS Paint equivalent sound board. Every trick sounded the same, every snap, every land. Happy to write this off until I see it on DVD though.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
srsly who got a link <3

bo bice

• Rep: 91
« Reply #213 on: June 04, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
I hate to be another anonymous shit-talker on slap but goddamn.  this one is not great. or even good.  and I love Russell Houghton so that's saying something.  basically the whole video plays like it's supposed to be on in the background at PacSun.  the music isn't terrible.  its just sooooo forgettable.  like shit no one would possibly listen to before skating.  secondly, it's a hour long.  there's so many artsy angle/drone shots/establishing shots/scenery type stuff, if you removed it the video would be 40 minutes.  everybody kills it, it's just aggressively boring.  there is at least 10-15 super slow-mo shots of people boardsliding or lipsliding massive double kink rails that are insane but by the 9th one I'm like ok how bout some regular-mo.  the south america section was cool. louie was great. dennis and jordan's stuff felt like throwaway but what do you expect from a volcom video.  daan van der linden really stood out. grant taylor/collin's part is last, impressive stuff for sure but really nothing unexpected.  the part and the video end so abruptly some people at the premiere were like "that's it?"  and my god Dollin.  holy fuck Dollin.  the slam section he has is fun to watch, I was actually laughing out loud at some of his bails, never done that before. you already know there's no landed tricks. but after the "part", there's this crazy confusing cheesey little skit where Dustin is hit by a car, then beat up by scooter kids (really?), then he's in Hell and is slowly lowered into a thing of lava.  fades to black.  skate video starts again.  no explanation for this 3 minute long nightmare sketch.  it was such a jarring intermission and then it's back to super slow-mo artsy montages again. this shit is audiovisual melatonin.

Dave Fuck

• Rep: -6
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2016, 12:03:06 AM »
I can't wait to see Daan and GT's parts.

roscoemoore1

« Reply #215 on: June 06, 2016, 03:43:46 AM »
Seemed like GTs part was over before it started. That best of Bru Ray was miles better

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
I hate to be another anonymous shit-talker on slap but goddamn.  this one is not great. or even good.  and I love Russell Houghton so that's saying something.  basically the whole video plays like it's supposed to be on in the background at PacSun.  the music isn't terrible.  its just sooooo forgettable.  like shit no one would possibly listen to before skating.  secondly, it's a hour long.  there's so many artsy angle/drone shots/establishing shots/scenery type stuff, if you removed it the video would be 40 minutes.  everybody kills it, it's just aggressively boring.  there is at least 10-15 super slow-mo shots of people boardsliding or lipsliding massive double kink rails that are insane but by the 9th one I'm like ok how bout some regular-mo.  the south america section was cool. louie was great. dennis and jordan's stuff felt like throwaway but what do you expect from a volcom video.  daan van der linden really stood out. grant taylor/collin's part is last, impressive stuff for sure but really nothing unexpected.  the part and the video end so abruptly some people at the premiere were like "that's it?"  and my god Dollin.  holy fuck Dollin.  the slam section he has is fun to watch, I was actually laughing out loud at some of his bails, never done that before. you already know there's no landed tricks. but after the "part", there's this crazy confusing cheesey little skit where Dustin is hit by a car, then beat up by scooter kids (really?), then he's in Hell and is slowly lowered into a thing of lava.  fades to black.  skate video starts again.  no explanation for this 3 minute long nightmare sketch.  it was such a jarring intermission and then it's back to super slow-mo artsy montages again. this shit is audiovisual melatonin.

bo, if they used your music from season 4 of american idol this video would have been fuego. if carrie underwood wasn't such a babe i would have totally voted for you. sorry b.

good come sausage

VolcomStoned

• Rep: 7
    • volcom.com avatar image
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
Will we get a YouTube 24h premier like with Away Days and a bunch of other videos, for the unfortunate of us, who don't live anywhere near any of the premiers?

We decided not to go this route, too easy to download the file off youtube. We'll be rolling it out in sections on Thrasher soon for everyone who's attention span has been ruined by instagram.

Also have got visuals on DVD's they'll be hitting select shops but are SUPER limited.

For Jordan and Busenitz part, Jordan has been hurt pretty much the entire time he's been on the team so it was hard to get alot of footage with him. And with Busenitz, adidas seriously put him on EVERY SINGLE trip so getting footage of him was also super difficult, we basically had maybe a week in NYC with him to film.

In regards to the indo premieres or any of the others, we apologize for any mishaps, things like drink prices, board checks, capacity issues, security... that's more or less all because of our contractual agreements with the venues. I was also at the NYC and Austin premieres and the aspect ratio was off so if heads were cut off and what not that was also the fault of the theater.

Music is also expensive so we had to work with what we could afford, we don't have that adidas money where we can afford James Brown, Bowie and Snoop.

As far as Dustin's part goes, he seriously tried and coming off filming for Propeller, his body was fucked and he kept getting hurt. the peewee herman nightmare skit was actually Dustin's idea.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Will we get a YouTube 24h premier like with Away Days and a bunch of other videos, for the unfortunate of us, who don't live anywhere near any of the premiers?
[close]

We decided not to go this route, too easy to download the file off youtube. We'll be rolling it out in sections on Thrasher soon for everyone who's attention span has been ruined by instagram.

Also have got visuals on DVD's they'll be hitting select shops but are SUPER limited.

For Jordan and Busenitz part, Jordan has been hurt pretty much the entire time he's been on the team so it was hard to get alot of footage with him. And with Busenitz, adidas seriously put him on EVERY SINGLE trip so getting footage of him was also super difficult, we basically had maybe a week in NYC with him to film.

In regards to the indo premieres or any of the others, we apologize for any mishaps, things like drink prices, board checks, capacity issues, security... that's more or less all because of our contractual agreements with the venues. I was also at the NYC and Austin premieres and the aspect ratio was off so if heads were cut off and what not that was also the fault of the theater.

Music is also expensive so we had to work with what we could afford, we don't have that adidas money where we can afford James Brown, Bowie and Snoop.

As far as Dustin's part goes, he seriously tried and coming off filming for Propeller, his body was fucked and he kept getting hurt. the peewee herman nightmare skit was actually Dustin's idea.

WHY DIDNT YOU USE BO BICE'S MUSIC
good come sausage

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude can you send me a copy? I'll pay for the shipping and everything! PM me!
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
For the points you decided to respond to, that was pretty transparent Mr. Volcom man. Cheers.

Let me just say, in the grand scheme of industry peeps that have attempted to interact here, you aren't kooking it as hard as others have in the past.

So please get mad at someone so we can gang up on you and crucify you.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
^^ agreed. Volcom dude is a good sport.

As for iTunes, why not just put out a video for free? I think it will have much more effect in marketing terms. The costs for people lurking forums, Youtube and websites for illegal copies and hiring lawyers will probably be higher than the production budget.

VolcomStoned

« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
^^ agreed. Volcom dude is a good sport.

As for iTunes, why not just put out a video for free? I think it will have much more effect in marketing terms. The costs for people lurking forums, Youtube and websites for illegal copies and hiring lawyers will probably be higher than the production budget.

haha thanks dudes, really just a skateboarder like all of y'all, been lurkin in these forums for a while as a fan. I figured I happen to be in the position to set things straight as much i can so why not. Going to stay away from the subjective comments because everyone is entitled to their own opinions (shit, even i thought they had 1 too many boardslides and slo-mo's in there but that's just me) and am not going to try and defend every aspect of the video.

As far as giving the video away for free, we'll probably be doing that later on, I mean we put Lets Live on youtube and I remember getting that on DVD before I even left college. From a marketing standpoint, we know the video will get pirated, we know if you want to see it you will by any means. We have lawyers in house to take it down if it did leak but it's not like we will be chasing anyone who gets it illegally.

In the grand scheme of things I think the format and model of a skate video isn't necessarily dead but it has definitely changed from what it used to be and for the people who are used to that model it's hard to let it go or even understand. We know we're not going to make back the insane amount of money we put into the video solely on video sales, those days are long gone, but for the higher up suits in our company, putting that much money into a video and not even trying to sell it would be even more insane from a business standpoint. To them if you're going to spend $40-$50 on a Supreme t shirt, then why all the fuss over an hour long video showcasing some of the best skateboarders for $10?? It's also part of a larger conversation within the skate community, there so much content out there daily that to even put the time, money and effort into making a skate video these days seems pointless, but we still did. I remember waiting for videos to come out, the anticipation and appreciation for when it actually did, but now it seems every video put out is forgotten months after. We're not giving it away for free just yet just to attach some form of value to it and gauge excitement. eventually the entire video will be free, it will be on thrasher in sections and a 24 hour live stream is slated for the coming months but as of right now find 5 homies, all pitch in $2 and enjoy.

Speaking for the skate dept here, we didn't make this video for the ROI, we made it to make a statement. This is our team, we're on the road just as much, if not more then any other skate team, we're skateboarders just like everyone else and this is a proper representation of our team. We know we have the orange county/socal surf company stigma and trust me the skate dudes in the company hate it cause it's really not who we are.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
...so can I get a copy off you?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #224 on: June 06, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
We know we have the orange county/socal surf company stigma and trust me the skate dudes in the company hate it cause it's really not who we are.
Haha this made me laugh. Yeah I live in a surf town and and every wannabe "surf/skate" kid rocks Volcom shit. None of the skaters I know wear any Volcom stuff besides the shorts and pants, which I have heard are very good.

I don't want to put you at risk of losing your job, so choose to respond or not to this, but what is the company culture like over there? Is there a divide between the skate guys and other divisions of the company?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »
speaking of jeans where can i cop some for cheap? $70? nah nah

VolcomStoned

« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »
Expand Quote
We know we have the orange county/socal surf company stigma and trust me the skate dudes in the company hate it cause it's really not who we are.
[close]
Haha this made me laugh. Yeah I live in a surf town and and every wannabe "surf/skate" kid rocks Volcom shit. None of the skaters I know wear any Volcom stuff besides the shorts and pants, which I have heard are very good.

I don't want to put you at risk of losing your job, so choose to respond or not to this, but what is the company culture like over there? Is there a divide between the skate guys and other divisions of the company?

hahahaha the company culture over here is actually pretty rad, we give the surf dudes alot of shit all the time but we all have respect for each other. I feel like everyone finds the skate dudes a little intimidating and a little gnarlier but we all manage to get along. we'll watch the surf turkeys pump around the park and do rock and rolls but we'll focus a longboard if we ever see one around the office

ha this is another thing we're also trying to push from the skate side. All of our denim is the best product possible, it's made by the same factory as levi's in most cases, but that quality also comes with the cost. we've been trying for years to make a high quality jean for cheap but nothing has come up that meets our standard. We have some here that are solid and cheap: http://www.volcom.com/mens/mens-clothing/mens-clothing-jeans.html
But I get it, it's hard to communicate that the $30 krew/forstar/whatever jean may look and feel the same but ours will last longer in the long run, especially when they're put side by side in the shop

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hahahaha the company culture over here is actually pretty rad, we give the surf dudes alot of shit all the time but we all have respect for each other. I feel like everyone finds the skate dudes a little intimidating and a little gnarlier but we all manage to get along. we'll watch the surf turkeys pump around the park and do rock and rolls but we'll focus a longboard if we ever see one around the office

Expand Quote
[close]

ha this is another thing we're also trying to push from the skate side. All of our denim is the best product possible, it's made by the same factory as levi's in most cases, but that quality also comes with the cost. we've been trying for years to make a high quality jean for cheap but nothing has come up that meets our standard. We have some here that are solid and cheap: http://www.volcom.com/mens/mens-clothing/mens-clothing-jeans.html
But I get it, it's hard to communicate that the $30 krew/forstar/whatever jean may look and feel the same but ours will last longer in the long run, especially when they're put side by side in the shop

i feel it, and i'm just busting ya chops, for the most part the big problem i have is finding my size (34-36 inseam) so i usually go levis but there colors/fades are regular 90% of the time so i'm going to try some of ya'lls jeans as soon as i have money and they get some more 36x34 vorta jeans in

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2016, 10:43:28 PM »
I remember going to the ASR tradeshows in the late 90s to mid 2000s and the Volcom booth was always this weird cliquey surfer/frat party. One year there was a Flintstones style theme and they had over 20 people working their booth complete with a keg and DJ. It felt like a bad 80s movie.

asakusa75

« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2016, 01:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I remember going to the ASR tradeshows in the late 90s to mid 2000s and the Volcom booth was always this weird cliquey surfer/frat party. One year there was a Flintstones style theme and they had over 20 people working their booth complete with a keg and DJ. It felt like a bad 80s movie.

I went to one ASR and the Fit booth was set up like a casino. The owners were all wearing black leather gloves and funny hats... and people were really gambling. There were also rumours going around that all the owners of Fit were coke dealers. Not long after that Fit vanished of the face of the earth.
Aaah, the good old days.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #230 on: June 07, 2016, 02:34:38 AM »
VolcomStoned: Is there any reason why there are only like 3 or 4 lines in this entire video (bowl/pool not included)? Is it the camera you use? The filmer who is unable? Biggest deal breaker for me. Well that and the drones. And the music.

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2016, 04:59:01 AM »
should have let dollin edit the whole thing.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #232 on: June 07, 2016, 05:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I went to one ASR and the Fit booth was set up like a casino. The owners were all wearing black leather gloves and funny hats... and people were really gambling. There were also rumours going around that all the owners of Fit were coke dealers. Not long after that Fit vanished of the face of the earth.
Aaah, the good old days.
you guys were at the wrong booths. it was all about the reef girls.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #233 on: June 07, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
Just watched the video, favourite parts go to Gt & provost, milton martinez, louie lopez and daan, one part that sucked was that kid alex midler, i can't believe he shared a part with david gonzalez, midler just did handrail after handrail, no fun to watch, also the fact that people are considering dustin's part a "video part" is sad, all these young guys filming great parts and dustins just drinking, smoking and bailing
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:04:06 AM by expired »

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #234 on: June 07, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2016, 09:35:40 AM »
Curious to see it, but really had no intention of buying it though.  Honestly might go ahead and do so now because this Volcom dude actually seems pretty solid.  And Volcom does sponsor some pretty rad guys.

Has anybody mentioned Caswell?  Does he have much in the video?  Probably my favorite dude on the team.
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2016, 10:06:06 AM »
Curious to see it, but really had no intention of buying it though.  Honestly might go ahead and do so now because this Volcom dude actually seems pretty solid.  And Volcom does sponsor some pretty rad guys.

Has anybody mentioned Caswell?  Does he have much in the video?  Probably my favorite dude on the team.

Caswell has some pretty sick tricks actually, not too much footage, but the stuff he does have is solid.

It was hard for me to watch this video, I feel like HD is meant for slow scenic filming, you can see the most minute details of the scenery, from the scratches on rails to the brown leaf falling off the tree in the background - which is awesome - but when there is sooo much detail happening in a single shot, when my eyes try to focus primarily on the fast moving skater it creates a pretty heavy strain on my eyes, and ends up giving me a heavy eye ache. One shot that stood out as a perfect use of HD was Louie Lopez's bs tail on that ditch bump to bar, it was filmed at sunset, the camera was a still shot, and the clip was in slow mo, it had the perfect contrast for my eyes to fully grasp the actual skating, I think HD is good for that kind of clip, maybe one or two shots here and there, but other then that its just too much for my poor little eyes to process.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
I'm about to buy it right now. I'm just surprised the lack of talk about Dane, did he not have a decent part?

Edit: Its only 10 dollars and all this talk about Daan seems like just his part would be worth it
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:52:20 AM by tobey »

VolcomStoned

« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:20 AM »
VolcomStoned: Is there any reason why there are only like 3 or 4 lines in this entire video (bowl/pool not included)? Is it the camera you use? The filmer who is unable? Biggest deal breaker for me. Well that and the drones. And the music.

I personally thought there should have been more lines too, Those RED cameras are like 30 lbs so it made it kind of difficult but it was mainly because of the spots we hit too. we were traveling around the country following the Wild In The Parks crew for the bulk of it and alot of the spots were one trick spots. there will be raw edits too that will probably have more lines.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2016, 02:26:53 PM »
Volcom videos have always sucked.  This is nothing new.