Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67412 times)

yatallfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #330 on: April 14, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
What's this about Mike Sinclair working for Nike? That's fucked. That guy touts like he's core to the bone.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #331 on: April 14, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
 Everyone loves capitalism and free market until the big boys come and your buisiness blows in your face. Well I dont feel sorry for Thomas I can live without Fallen and I dont like Thomas's opinions either. I remember how he played the good ol' nice buisinessman here about having factories in Mexico where he assured us that his employees are happy with their job, and he personally checks good conditions in his factories (i hope no employee was hurt during that fire that was mentioned in the interview and I hope that fire is not a result of the nice conditions in Mexican factories). Not that the rest of companies are saints, they all do the same bullshit outsourcing in countries that there are no labour legislations. It's capitalism wether it is a core or non-core shoe company.

Personally I buy whatever shoe I find durable > affordable > looks nice. I am really happy with my latest 2 nike pairs as I found them at 45 euros (when the cheapest I can find is 40 euros) and they were more durable than my last Lakais or DVS. Big company, small company its all bullshit all i see is monopoly and monopoly wannabes, so cut the crap. If jamie could be nike, he would be nike or else he would lose to nike as it happened, that is buisiness its not up to Thomas.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:24:58 PM by Tufty »

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #332 on: April 14, 2016, 08:34:20 PM »
Nike will defintitely find a way to bend the rules so they can turn people Pro.... Wait I think they're doing that with Prods company.... which is essentially NIKE skateboards

Anyways,

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: April 14, 2016, 08:59:16 PM »
Just came to say that Eric Ricks sounds like an asshole.
I need a coffee

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #334 on: April 14, 2016, 11:20:40 PM »
Cmon jame.....

Fallen of footwear.....

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so nike has put a lot of money in skating and has hired pretty much everyone in the business and has thus made the industry dependent? it has now come to the point that if in an ideal world nike shut their skate program down all these people would go broke? well, it was their choice to ride for nike so personally i don't care at all about these guys' future (especially about ducebag definitions like AO) as they don't care for mine. its very simple: i can't skate if i look down on my feet and see the gay nike logo and i can't enjoy a skate vid if the riders are wearing nikes. and for someone who said that we should start calling nike skaters out - dude, its already happening. face to face
the bitches defending nike here are probably nike employees.
[close]

So now it's not only skaters against nike, it's skaters against skaters... Nice theory douche.
[close]

one of my good friends is antonio dureo. his family doesn't come from money to send him to skate in contests and go on skate trips across the US. nike has gone above and beyond for him as a flow rider paying for his trips to skate all over.  he busts his ass at a pool job all summer to make money and skates whenever he can.  according to you this makes him a bad person because of the shoes he wears?

so according to you: "i don't care about this person's financials" = "this person is bad"
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #336 on: April 15, 2016, 02:46:36 AM »
Nike has some shady aspects to it, 100%. If you really want to see how fucked up the shoe industry is Read Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrman, its follows an AAU basketball team/coach for 8 years. In many ways what Addidas and Nike did in that industry is replicated in skateboarding, but in many ways is much worse in regard to the human cost.

But...... The skate industry was fucking itself over long before Nike fully got back into the picture in the early 2000's, Nike is just representative of how bad it got. Skater owned companies (and Shoe brands) danced with the devil by starting to allocate so much of their product to huge mall brands or online stores, fucking over local shops. A decent amount of companies were also terribly managed with terrible logistics hurting the people trying to sell their product (Crailtap). When Sole Tech, DC and Podium are selling so much product to the competitors of local stores, this obviously expanded to certain hardgoods brands in a massive way (Dwindle.....) why should the individual store owners be loyal to these brands? That is why those local stores started to carry so many blanks or shop "decks." Finally when Nike comes into the picture in the early 2000's offering exclusivity to these local stores it was music to their ears, after the core brands had been fucking them over for years by selling heavily to places like Zumiez, Active or West 49. Flat out greed fuelled by the boom of skating in the mid to late 90's, create this mess. If everyone had stayed partners, the wood shops to the hardgood companies-the hardgood companies to the local stores, it never would have gotten this bad. But the hardgood brands sold to corporations and large chain stores in the name of profit, stores started going to woodshops to press their own decks, and now no one is getting paid, they killed the golden goose.

I'm far from a supporter of marxism and fully believe in the free market, but as shitty as it is to see brands owned by legends starting to fail or look to be in trouble, much of this was started by their own greed. I remember hearing awhile back that a large reason a lot of these brands we like got into trouble was partially due to the collapse of certain chain stores, which owed them a lot of money (remember hearing Active), a similar thing happened with Karmaloops collapse. Nike does what they fucking do, same with Adidas they are just as bad or worse, but it was the initial greed of owners of some of these now failing companies cashing in 15 years ago. 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #337 on: April 15, 2016, 04:00:16 AM »
Wow. Good write DannyDee. Very insightful. Hadn't thought of it like that at all personally.  :-[

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #338 on: April 15, 2016, 05:51:17 AM »
Everyone loves capitalism and free market blah blah blah

it never gets old, tufty.

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2016, 06:06:45 AM »
Nike is kiling local shops and your decisions of wearing them proves you know nothing about self-respect or kuth. no wonder skateboarding is where it is right now, people have to type their justification for their decisions. NIKE is raping your life and you have to tell yourself it is ok. the worst part is your a skateboarder. it used to mean instant good friend, now it means a fashion statement. i hope emerica rises up and beats the shit out of this initiative. we have kicked nike out 3 times now itll happen again but now we have to be stronger and depper and more perseverent. if any group of people can beat nike its us. its the skateboarders. if you had any idea what they think of us you would never wear their products. i feel bad for the kid at my park, he never knew how bad ass it was to do whatever you want and steal the football player's girl. now the football player has a board.

yeah im old and lost, but i know who i am and i am never going to be a statistic on a max revenue curve. Consolidated is releasing BS Dunk 3's i suggest we all buy them.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #340 on: April 15, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
Yes, Nike is totally raping your life. Because people buy shoes from them. Total life rape. Jesus Christ ogcoors you claim you're old and lost, but it sounds more like a moody teenage girl. You don't sound like somebody who knows who you are. Continue to bring up the "skateboarders used to be friends, now they're fashion statements" bullshit that is totally meritless and irrelevant to the situation, because that's what makes you feel better about your precious little niche hobby becoming globally popular.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #341 on: April 15, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »
Nike is kiling local shops and your decisions of wearing them proves you know nothing about self-respect or kuth. no wonder skateboarding is where it is right now, people have to type their justification for their decisions. NIKE is raping your life and you have to tell yourself it is ok. the worst part is your a skateboarder. it used to mean instant good friend, now it means a fashion statement. i hope emerica rises up and beats the shit out of this initiative. we have kicked nike out 3 times now itll happen again but now we have to be stronger and depper and more perseverent. if any group of people can beat nike its us. its the skateboarders. if you had any idea what they think of us you would never wear their products. i feel bad for the kid at my park, he never knew how bad ass it was to do whatever you want and steal the football player's girl. now the football player has a board.

yeah im old and lost, but i know who i am and i am never going to be a statistic on a max revenue curve. Consolidated is releasing BS Dunk 3's i suggest we all buy them.

And take away business from core shoe companies? No thank you.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
« Reply #342 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:28 AM »
Nike has some shady aspects to it, 100%. If you really want to see how fucked up the shoe industry is Read Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrman, its follows an AAU basketball team/coach for 8 years. In many ways what Addidas and Nike did in that industry is replicated in skateboarding, but in many ways is much worse in regard to the human cost.

But...... The skate industry was fucking itself over long before Nike fully got back into the picture in the early 2000's, Nike is just representative of how bad it got. Skater owned companies (and Shoe brands) danced with the devil by starting to allocate so much of their product to huge mall brands or online stores, fucking over local shops. A decent amount of companies were also terribly managed with terrible logistics hurting the people trying to sell their product (Crailtap). When Sole Tech, DC and Podium are selling so much product to the competitors of local stores, this obviously expanded to certain hardgoods brands in a massive way (Dwindle.....) why should the individual store owners be loyal to these brands? That is why those local stores started to carry so many blanks or shop "decks." Finally when Nike comes into the picture in the early 2000's offering exclusivity to these local stores it was music to their ears, after the core brands had been fucking them over for years by selling heavily to places like Zumiez, Active or West 49. Flat out greed fuelled by the boom of skating in the mid to late 90's, create this mess. If everyone had stayed partners, the wood shops to the hardgood companies-the hardgood companies to the local stores, it never would have gotten this bad. But the hardgood brands sold to corporations and large chain stores in the name of profit, stores started going to woodshops to press their own decks, and now no one is getting paid, they killed the golden goose.

I'm far from a supporter of marxism and fully believe in the free market, but as shitty as it is to see brands owned by legends starting to fail or look to be in trouble, much of this was started by their own greed. I remember hearing awhile back that a large reason a lot of these brands we like got into trouble was partially due to the collapse of certain chain stores, which owed them a lot of money (remember hearing Active), a similar thing happened with Karmaloops collapse. Nike does what they fucking do, same with Adidas they are just as bad or worse, but it was the initial greed of owners of some of these now failing companies cashing in 15 years ago. 

^ all of this ^

hardly art, hardly starving

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #343 on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
DannyDee makes some great points. OGCoors sounds delusional.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »

It's spelled couth, if any group of people can beat Nike it's certainly not us since governments have tried and failed (that's how they got to own humans for so long) and certainly especially not you because you're a dipshit, and your life is already nothing more than a statistic on a revenue curve and I doubt it's a curve anybody cares about.

Nothing matters and we're all going to die.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2016, 07:32:55 AM »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2016, 07:57:54 AM »
NIKE is raping your life and you have to tell yourself it is ok. Consolidated is releasing BS Dunk 3's i suggest we all buy them.

Nothing matters and we're all going to die.

Jesus Christ, this thread has escalated.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
What do you guys think would happen if you went and tried to skate a set or wax up a ledge at the Nike (or adidas, or new balance or converse) campus? What do you think would happen if you ended up slappying a curb outside of, say, the crailtap or sole tech headquarters? That reason alone is why I do my best to not buy shoes from those big sports chains. They might make shoes for skateboarding in but they do not back skateboarding or skateboarders, 100%. The dudes at sole tech or crailtap might not necessarily come out and skate the curb with you but I doubt they'd kick you out. Do you think you'd be allowed to skate potential spots at, say, the Nike campus even if you're in some Blazers? I highly doubt it.

(Although Nike possibly has security to keep people out regardless idk)
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2016, 08:37:38 AM »
isn't the spot at 6:07 behind Nike in Portland?

hardly art, hardly starving

shit_for_brains

« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »
What do you guys think would happen if you went and tried to skate a set or wax up a ledge at the Nike (or adidas, or new balance or converse) campus? What do you think would happen if you ended up slappying a curb outside of, say, the crailtap or sole tech headquarters? That reason alone is why I do my best to not buy shoes from those big sports chains. They might make shoes for skateboarding in but they do not back skateboarding or skateboarders, 100%. The dudes at sole tech or crailtap might not necessarily come out and skate the curb with you but I doubt they'd kick you out. Do you think you'd be allowed to skate potential spots at, say, the Nike campus even if you're in some Blazers? I highly doubt it.

(Although Nike possibly has security to keep people out regardless idk)

I skated in a business park where a popular skateboarding company used to be headquartered for 15 minutes before security and the owner of the place came and kicked me out for fucking up their curbs. And like Art said, that Adidas video has them skating at Nike. What else do you have?

baravettski

• Rep: 41
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »
Well said, this has been on my mind a lot lately, and I agree, the skate industry has been fucking itself over for a long time. When the Sole/DC/Podiums started getting big it got popular to get some ex Nike guys to figure out growth on a bigger scale. This is right in that early 2000's that you mentioned. While the skate companies were trying to figure out how to keep up with demand due to skateboarding and it's influence on fashion, SB was acting like a small company. That's how they got in; they made shops money by giving them something no one else could find and in doing that, brought a whole new group of customers to those skate shops. Did some of them get greedy? I guess you could say so, but if you've ever worked in a small ass shop, and overnight you got money coming in from not necessarily skaters, you can now afford to give the real kids a discount here and there, free grip, etc. That allowed the skate community to thrive in a lot of places. But at the same time, shops learned how to run their businesses in a different way, which was great for a lot of them, and it's not really a new thing. Some decided to try and ride that success and expand locations, some new shops opened because of business opportunities and some just kept on doing what they had been but with a different money maker (Nike, in this case.)

There's a long version of this, I can list out my work history if anyone cares, but I just came off almost 10 years at SB, the relevant thing to this thread I'll mention is one of our reps coming out for a meeting, him and I going over some goals and him saying "Man, can't we just be happy with where we are?" Any publicly owned company is almost always going to say no. They want more growth. They don't get in business to be flat or down. But small companies can.

I'm out now. I got let go, and while it was a shock I couldn't be happier. Skateboarding in it's pure form and the community of it isn't going anywhere, but it's not in it's best form. I'm gonna do my best to give back to it and make a community again. I started my own shoe company, and it's about as small and skater owned as it could be. But in the spirit of this thread, keep fucking skating, support those companies you care about, and we can take our part of skateboarding back.

dkn

• Rep: -27
  • to be all ways to be all ways to be all ways to be
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
yep that spot, the savier bump, is at a nike warehouse

they let people come in and skate it and give them free shoes and gatorade on set dates. great park

actually that is the company in skateboarding i've felt the most personal with because of that, oddly

except local companies of course

i would like to learn more about how nike treats local skate shops though.  i hear it's sad

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
Yes, Nike is totally raping your life. Because people buy shoes from them. Total life rape. Jesus Christ ogcoors you claim you're old and lost, but it sounds more like a moody teenage girl. You don't sound like somebody who knows who you are. Continue to bring up the "skateboarders used to be friends, now they're fashion statements" bullshit that is totally meritless and irrelevant to the situation, because that's what makes you feel better about your precious little niche hobby becoming globally popular.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Well, shit. You sure showed me. I definitely didn't know about that spot or something that happened in your life, shit_for_brains. I'm very sorry, should I focus my account because I didn't know that people can skate at a Nike warehouse or that you got kicked out of a business park?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
So if I own a business, as a skateboarder I'm supposed to let skateboarders wax and skate my front steps? Allen, no offense, but I'm concerned you might be regular.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »
Well, shit. You sure showed me. I definitely didn't know about that spot or something that happened in your life, shit_for_brains. I'm very sorry, should I focus my account because I didn't know that people can skate at a Nike warehouse or that you got kicked out of a business park?

Yes.
you never know about pre-cum 

shit_for_brains

« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:34 PM »

Hell fucking yeah you should

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
RIP Allen :(

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2016, 02:07:05 PM »
Your evidence does not align with my conjecture. I'm gonna pout about it now.   :'(

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3374
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
#rapedbyNike