Author Topic: What is going with Sheldon Skate Plaza?  (Read 7789 times)

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
What is going with Sheldon Skate Plaza?
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »
The city just dumped sand across the entire park ahead of GSD...

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: What is going with Sheldon Skate Plaza?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Beach party!!!

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »
if the city did indeed leave the sand there you should be courteous and bring it back it back to city hall. they are probably looking for it.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

BMCsteve

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »

i like they specify hot cheeto bags.  i bet that is directed a single kid.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i like they specify hot cheeto bags.  i bet that is directed a single kid.

yeah!  GARY!

BMCsteve

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i like they specify hot cheeto bags.� i bet that is directed a single kid.

He should have said "....hot cheeto bags (I know it's you Trevor you orange fingered son of a bitch), etc."

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i like they specify hot cheeto bags.� i bet that is directed a single kid.
[close]

He should have said "....hot cheeto bags (I know it's you Trevor you orange fingered son of a bitch), etc."

..getting hot cheeto dust all over the coping everytime you do a layback! #trevorsux #orangefingeredkook

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »
LOL "Keep your skatepark clean"  "Hey fuck those skaters, lets go pour a bunch of dirt all over the skatepark, that will show them to clean up"

Imagine this happening at a basketball or tennis court after a competition or something.  Oh yeah, that would NEVER happen.  I would be fucking heated.  Hire someone to pick that shit up, my park gets dirty too you don't see park people putting sand everywhere and talking down to preteens who don't know any better.  That guy on insta is SUS and it sounds like it was his idea.

Also, why does the city care about people spray painting a concrete play area?  Let some people commission some nice pieces or have a big art day where everyone can come paint the park and never worry about "Vandalism" again...

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
#youskateityoupoliceit? That guy calls himself a skater too, total cunt. Dude from city hall was complaining about graffiti and pizza boxes, great excuse to close down your new world class skatepark....maybe hire a skater to do maintenance??? a lot easier than closing it and covering it in sand

the world we live in

BMCsteve

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
#youskateityoupoliceit? That guy calls himself a skater too, total cunt. Dude from city hall was complaining about graffiti and pizza boxes, great excuse to close down your new world class skatepark....maybe hire a skater to do maintenance??? a lot easier than closing it and covering it in sand

the world we live in

I think it was a long time coming.  it's not the first time they put sand in the park.  I agree, you can't do anything about the graffiti if it's happening at night but everyone should contribute to keeping the park clean and policing shit during the day.

I can't count how many times I've showed up at the park at 7:30 am and spent the first 20 minutes cleaning up other peoples trash

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 03:33:21 PM »
Watched the videos on the IG account. When I heard the guy mention pizza boxes, I almost had a heart attack. Whenever skaters are blamed for this stuff you need to remind politicians, authorities, etc. that they don't have a skater problem, they have a youth problem. Kids will be kids.

Kids litter. Kids do graffiti. Get rid of the skatepark and you disperse the problem around the city.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote

the world we live in
[close]

I think it was a long time coming.  it's not the first time they put sand in the park.  I agree, you can't do anything about the graffiti if it's happening at night but everyone should contribute to keeping the park clean and policing shit during the day.

I can't count how many times I've showed up at the park at 7:30 am and spent the first 20 minutes cleaning up other peoples trash
I literally hate people that litter, and I don't use the word hate lightly.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

the world we live in
[close]

I think it was a long time coming.� it's not the first time they put sand in the park.� I agree, you can't do anything about the graffiti if it's happening at night but everyone should contribute to keeping the park clean and policing shit during the day.

[close]

No shit. I see it all the time at pretty much every local spot. I'm not sure where it got lost but teaching people (kids and teenagers especially) to clean up after themselves should still be an important thing. I've seen multiple local DIY spots get shut down specifically because of trash and graffiti. It's an eye sore to the community and therefore they don't last.

I've seen concrete parks get the gates locked for months because of graffiti too. I understand its about being creative and some of the stuff I see can look awesome, but just because skaters are a creative and outcast bunch does not mean its always welcomed. Even if its not skaters doing it, its usually just one degree of separation.

Skaters need to be calling kids out on their shit for trashing spots and ruining it for everyone. That would be a great use of social media.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

the world we live in
[close]

[close]

I had a friend from New York that was super proud of littering..like actually enjoyed it. The first time i saw it happen I was all 'wtf man?' He explained to me, how littering is awesome, especially in Texas, where people freak the fuck out. I told him he sucked. 25 years later..we are still friends.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

the world we live in
[close]

[close]
[close]

I had a friend from New York that was super proud of littering..like actually enjoyed it. The first time i saw it happen I was all 'wtf man?' He explained to me, how littering is awesome, especially in Texas, where people freak the fuck out. I told him he sucked. 25 years later..we are still friends.

Fuck your friend. What a piece of fucking shit. He's a reason why this world is so god damned fucked.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 05:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

the world we live in
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Fuck your friend. What a piece of fucking shit. He's a reason why this world is so god damned fucked.

nah, he's done a ton of good stuff over the years. ..pretty sure his big gulp cups aren't the reason we are fucked.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Show them by flooding the streets with skateboarders, I'm sure they will clean the mess pronto when they get sick of the excuse 'well we have no where else to skate since the skatepark has made unskateable by the city...'

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »
Push broom.
you never know about pre-cum 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 05:49:03 PM »
What did the sand and subsequent cleanup cost? How much for grey paint to cover the graffiti?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
From now on instead of saying "rain on my parade" or "grinds my gears" I'm gunna use "sand in my skatepark"

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 07:39:29 PM »
Sounds like my local park. It's always the scooters and bikers that trash everything, too. This year the park district cops officially stopped enforcing the no bikes rule so you either have to turn into a "skaterz only beat it kook!" kinda guy and skate really angry or just leave and go somewhere else while you sob the whole way there.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
If I paid taxes there I'd be pretty fucking pissed that my money was being used by city hall to scold kids for not keeping a skatepark clean.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
Sounds like my local park. It's always the scooters and bikers that trash everything, too. This year the park district cops officially stopped enforcing the no bikes rule so you either have to turn into a "skaterz only beat it kook!" kinda guy and skate really angry or just leave and go somewhere else while you sob the whole way there.

Same thing happened here. Nothing like getting bodied by 200 lbs of obese teenager on a bike with metal pegs and no brakes because he doesn't look and drops in on you.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
my home towns first skatepark was at a beach, i don't see the issue here.

also clean up your shit.

Tracer

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
Planners spend months deciding on location, and LAPD suggests shutting it down for good. vinniebanh said it was an ex gangster pad and he's lived there forever. This will be a huge loss for the community skateparks like this cost hundreds of thousands and they're ready to close it based on graffiti and garbage. Welcome to the real world, every skatepark on earth encounters this... 80K on vandalism huh? I would feel totally weird if a huge park had no graffiti or garbage lying around

Sign the petition, make some calls

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 03:47:58 AM »
We lost a nice little park in DC due to idiots littering.  It was just an unused basketball court with a quarter pipe, a box, and a flatbar.  Somehow it became the local high school's hang out spot.  There was a 7-11 a block away, so kids would throw red bull/Monster cans and chicken wings, pizza crusts everywhere.  I went over one Sunday AM for a quick session and three city employees were tearing the spot down.  They told me it was because of the littering.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 04:17:27 AM »
So go skate street...
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
I feel like this is just another example of the lag in society to accept skateboarders. Every town has basketball, volleyball and tennis courts of all kinds readily accessible, lights included, despite them remaining empty 90% of the time. However we have to fight for even the most basic skateboarding facility even when the city outlaws the activity on their own sidewalks.

Graffiti is rampant all over Los Angeles. Do they honestly think that just because it's at a skatepark, we are all spraying on the ramps instead of skating? How about you dump sand on all the businesses in LA and see if that fixes the graffiti problem. Same goes with garbage. These are kids. Teach them not to litter. This sand thing would never happen at a basketball court. These facilities are heavily used (which is a good thing). Skateboarders are not dispropotionately worse at picking up their trash, it's just that the park gets used by hundreds of people every day, all day, as opposed to your average basketball court's 10 people for the day. If kids were always hanging out at the other recreational areas there would be just as much graffiti and trash if not more. Would they dump sand in the basketball court too? Or threaten to bulldoze it? Probably not. Skateboarders are judged way more harshly than anyone else.

Bullshit.