Author Topic: What has skateboarding done for you?  (Read 1924 times)

MyUserName

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
What has skateboarding done for you?
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »
Well?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: What has skateboarding done for you?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
*to you

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:47:18 PM »
skateboarding got me laid and made it so my bones make funny noises when i stretch

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »
  I feel that skating is an 'in the now' type of thing but it also gives renewal.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Skateboarding owes me nothing.
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
whatever it's done FOR me, it's also done TO me (and I'm completely cool with that)

got me laid/got chicks to break up with me.
got me exercise/got me 12 screws, 2 plates in my leg
got me a job/got me fired from a job
got me new friends/made me lose friends

etc, etc.

"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 04:38:54 PM »
whatever it's done FOR me, it's also done TO me (and I'm completely cool with that)

got me laid/got chicks to break up with me.
got me exercise/got me 12 screws, 2 plates in my leg
got me a job/got me fired from a job
got me new friends/made me lose friends

etc, etc.

Summed up a lot of what I was going to say. Gnar gnar.

Apart from what you said, skateboarding taught me perseverance. It taught me the value of determination and trial and error. Nothing else I enjoi / enjoid has come close in this respect.
I mean, since I was 13/14 I was okay with the idea of going out to do something I enjoy while knowing full well I would for sure get hurt, spend a lot of time "failing" and probably not even land a trick or progress. Nothing else teaches you that. This has translated into me being resilient to getting rejection letters from potential employers, girls or whatever. Without getting too up skateboardings' ass, I value it tremendously for making me a determined and dedicated individual. Even in the face of seemingly constant failures, I known how to think about the problem in a different way and keep trying and trying to achieve what I want.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Bullshit, that's life / science / skateboarding / progressing as a human.

Also it's given me a torn MCL, broken foot and toes, prolapsed and damaged nerve tissue in my back and neck issues. Though I'm still here and I still love it.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

swag nollies

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
Skateboarding has let me choose my individual path

... I dunno I just smoked im high

doublesteveburger

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
You're full of shit if you said that you've never written about this topic in English class at some point in grade school.

Skateboarding has taught me how to fucking suck at something and be completely okay with it.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 05:32:55 PM »
You're full of shit if you said that you've never written about this topic in English class at some point in grade school.

haha fuck yea.. I wrote about skating a backyard pool and got a C-

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
Have a lot of fun thru my youth and totally fuck my body up

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »
Shit, I had a razor scooter before my first skateboard. If be a total fucking loser if it wasn't for skating.

Dave Fuck

• Rep: -6
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 06:54:25 PM »
Skateboarding definitely shaped my taste in music because of watching skate videos when I was a kid. Eastern Exposure 3, Video Days, Fulfill The Dream, Welcome To Hell/Jump Off A Building and Rolling Thunder all had really good soundtracks, same with the 411's. I'd sit in my room and read thru the video credits just so I could find out the song/band name and go buy the cassette tape from this record store in my town.

such

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
made me pee crooked. thanks a lot.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Skateboarding definitely shaped my taste in music because of watching skate videos when I was a kid. Eastern Exposure 3, Video Days, Fulfill The Dream, Welcome To Hell/Jump Off A Building and Rolling Thunder all had really good soundtracks, same with the 411's. I'd sit in my room and read thru the video credits just so I could find out the song/band name and go buy the cassette tape from this record store in my town.

hahah YES! When we'd go and skate Sydney CBD in the mid 90s it was actually part of our day to visit record stores like red eye and waterfront just so we could pick up some new stuff. I don't think I'd listen to half the stuff I do these days if it wasn't for skating

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »
made me a little bit less boring, and a tad bit more relatable to some people

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
Now my joints always let me know when a storm front is coming.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 08:17:12 PM »
I think life sucks for the most part and since I'm not the type of person that turns to hard drugs and alcoholism, skateboarding is a huge factor in keeping me alive and feeling alright. Once I get old and can't skate I'll probably go out like Hunter S. Thompson.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »
Falling down is a good thing
Cops will ticket you for destruction of property beside their earth destroying SUVs
Coordination, way better on my feet
Ends boredom
Keeps me thin without properly "working out"
It's a real community, anywhere on earth you can meet skaters and they got your back. Slept on peoples couches I met an hour ago etc etc

straight

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »
I think life sucks for the most part and since I'm not the type of person that turns to hard drugs and alcoholism, skateboarding is a huge factor in keeping me alive and feeling alright. Once I get old and can't skate I'll probably go out like Hunter S. Thompson.

in a cannon?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:58:01 PM by straight »

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 09:09:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

in a cannon?

Ha, nah that was his ashes they shot from the cannon. I was talking about the slug.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
Gave me a great, ongoing childhood and lots of friends.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »
skateboarding got me laid and made it so my bones make funny noises when i stretch

Dave Fuck

• Rep: -6
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 01:38:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahah YES! When we'd go and skate Sydney CBD in the mid 90s it was actually part of our day to visit record stores like red eye and waterfront just so we could pick up some new stuff. I don't think I'd listen to half the stuff I do these days if it wasn't for skating

Same here dude! I found most of my favorite bands from videos. I'll never forget the first time I watched Rudy Johnson's part in Video Days, I was obsessed with song and knew it was a cover of The Cure, but my dubbed vhs copy was messed up and the credits part of the tape was scrambled and glitchy so I couldn't find out who covered the song. Luckily this older skater kid worked at the record store and I asked him if he knew who it was and he told me Dinosaur Jr then handed me a copy of Fossils. Fuck, I miss those days man.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 01:50:16 AM »

Skateboarding has taught me how to fucking suck at something and be completely okay with it.

Haha both of these. Any open writing prompt I would write about skating because it was so easy.  Before skating I competed at a pretty high level in skiing and eventually quit because of how time consuming it became. Now its something I do purely for the fun of it, theres no schedule, no competing and no training 6 days a week. All in all I do it to stay sane.

Also whoever mentioned the music aspect I still listen to all the artists I first heard from skate videos 8 years ago.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -271
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 02:27:25 AM »
My right elbow does this thing when I try to straighten it I feel a strong resistance, if I push through the pain it makes a loud crack and goes loose so I can straighten my arm as normal.. Thanks skating! I can't be mad though, skating was my first love.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
Skateboarding have given me 2 bum legs and bad back.

Fuck skateboarding.

Koozin

• Rep: -19
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 03:11:33 AM »
Gave me the belief of feeling forever young & energetic. Also a better understanding of the corporate world. Fuck you Steve Berra

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 04:08:13 AM »

I'm stealing this. You suck if you can't play football/soccer, you suck if you can't play basketball, you suck if you can't do any sport. But if you suck at skating it's completely OK. My friends always used to laugh when i was rolling like a panda when i felt of the board and i enjoyed it.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 05:40:42 AM »
countless good times and happy hours.