Author Topic: RIP Dylan Reider  (Read 123891 times)

Dirtymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
Re: RIP Dylan Reider
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2016, 04:48:51 AM »
Really sad news to hear this morning. We lost a great one. RIP youngblood...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2016, 05:01:34 AM »
Barely learned of this via ride channel, sad to hear. Surreal and incredulous. I was feeling shitty all day yesterday thinking about regrets and missed opportunities in my own life... now this happens. I never really took the time to become a huge fan and appreciate him, but his influence was so palpable everywhere I'd look, that I almost didn't really need to. It's tough to hear this, knowing that what he brought to the table was so revered by so many people. It doesn't feel like he was meant to die so soon. Truly an icon. I remember in one of the last few street leagues he was a part of, maybe 2012-13ish, he went on a roll for a few runs, landing everything. People were so psyched. 

My mom (and most of the Latin music world) was mourning the death of an old famous Mexican singer last month & I didn't really understand it that much, but now I do.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:06:34 AM by franquietits »

Bag_Of_Farts

• Rep: -19
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:20 AM »
Dear Mods,

if someone named "Bag of Farts" starts a thread on my death, which was announced on social media, can you please please delete it.

the internet is the worst sometimes.

I hope that when you die that you have made an impact enough on anyone outside of your immediate family, so much so that they want to share your passing with the world.  A way of saying thanks, and announcing how much of a footprint you actually left while enjoying your short stay on this spinning rock.

Good luck with that, complete stranger.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think that Menikmati could be ruined for me, but somehow that asshole (Koston) did it.
Even all the beautiful dorking around in Chomp on This, all I can think is "this adult man tells children to die on Instagram".
Seriously, fuck Koston forever. -Mattchew

shit_for_brains

« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2016, 05:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Dear Mods,

if someone named "Bag of Farts" starts a thread on my death, which was announced on social media, can you please please delete it.

the internet is the worst sometimes.

[close]

I hope that when you die that you have made an impact enough on anyone outside of your immediate family, so much so that they want to share your passing with the world.  A way of saying thanks, and announcing how much of a footprint you actually left while enjoying your short stay on this spinning rock.

Good luck with that, complete stranger.

Don't start this shit in here.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2016, 05:33:58 AM »
RIP. Dylan's presence in skateboarding is tied to a lot of indelible memories of mine. I remember exactly when and where I watched his Gravis part for the first time, and I knew it was gonna fuck the game up the moment it ended. Skateboarding is better for having had Dylan Rieder, and we'll miss him.

I also think Dollin is a piece of shit for his comments towards Nyjah... using another human's passing as an excuse to attack someone else is pretty low.

EDIT: Wanted to throw some pictures up.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:50:51 AM by heckler »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2016, 05:48:27 AM »
keeping my pants cuffed for him today. Rip in peace

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2016, 05:56:45 AM »
Damn, still in a state of shock. Today is going to be a long day, tell your family and friends you love them.

Big Sweatpants

• Rep: -66
  • KOOKIN' IT SO FUCKING HARD
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2016, 05:56:53 AM »
keeping my pants cuffed for him today. Rip in peace

In fact, you are all pathetic. Kill yourselves.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2016, 06:24:17 AM »
fuck off with your trolling in this thread.

Condolences to his family, friends and those close to him.
I was lucky to watch him skate live once. At the Huf demo in Cologne in 2013. Dude ripped so hard with grace whilst remaining approachable, humble and genuinely nice. Truely, a great loss not only to skateboarding.
RIP.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:48:58 AM by dolphinstyle. »
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
was always a fan, never got the hate on his style. even liked the video with the naked girls. my son is 5 and his name is dylan. i didn't name my son after my "favorite skater" or anything like that dylan definitely got that name on my wife and my radar by being such a stylish character.

was this just a genetic thing or did the smoking get him? no disrespect intended it just seems so fucked and random if genetic.

RIP to one of the best. it's weird how the really unique stylish guys from that era have all seemed to pass young.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
I very much wanted to dismiss all of this as some shitty rumor, but I'm heartbroken to hear this news. Was always a fan, but after dealing with the issues addressed in his Epicly Later'd he seemed untouchable. But unfortunately cancer doesn't discriminate. </3

yungapplejuice

« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2016, 08:00:30 AM »
this dudes trick selection/style will always be golden . his fits were emulated by young+grown folk worldwide . RIP

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »
this O'dell pic always put a smile on my face

R.I.P Dylan

jomeara1

« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2016, 08:20:40 AM »
RIP  :'(

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 910
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »
was always a fan, never got the hate on his style. even liked the video with the naked girls. my son is 5 and his name is dylan. i didn't name my son after my "favorite skater" or anything like that dylan definitely got that name on my wife and my radar by being such a stylish character.

was this just a genetic thing or did the smoking get him? no disrespect intended it just seems so fucked and random if genetic.

RIP to one of the best. it's weird how the really unique stylish guys from that era have all seemed to pass young.

I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure you don't get leukemia from smoking at such a young age. I had a friend who was diagnosed shortly after turning 30 and he never smoked, it's just shit luck that life throws at you sometimes. He has survived, but it's an ongoing process in his life.

This really is a sad day. I always thought he was just in his prime and even as he got older he'd start skating tranny more again and it would be a treat to watch.

There really is no other skater like him. I want to watch his epicly later'd again but I know I'd start crying again.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2016, 08:45:49 AM »
Spooky and apropos at 2:07 in this clip:

"Rain today is Dylan's final day."

sluggers

« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure you don't get leukemia from smoking at such a young age. I had a friend who was diagnosed shortly after turning 30 and he never smoked, it's just shit luck that life throws at you sometimes. He has survived, but it's an ongoing process in his life.

This really is a sad day. I always thought he was just in his prime and even as he got older he'd start skating tranny more again and it would be a treat to watch.

There really is no other skater like him. I want to watch his epicly later'd again but I know I'd start crying again.

Leukemia is cancer of the blood or bone marrow (which produces blood cells). A person who has leukemia suffers from an abnormal production of blood cells, generally leukocytes (white blood cells).

The bad cells crowd out the good cells in the blood.

So yea, rare and random.

Rick Dagger

• Rep: 0
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
Rest in power, legend!!!

BMCsteve

« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Leukemia is cancer of the blood or bone marrow (which produces blood cells). A person who has leukemia suffers from an abnormal production of blood cells, generally leukocytes (white blood cells).

So yea, rare and random.

If you have a genetic susceptibility to leukemia, smoking cigarettes will increase the chances of developing it

Not trying to take anything away from the horrible loss of Dylan or saying that was a factor for him but it certainly didn't help.  

90% of the tributes I've seen of him since his passing have a cigarette in his hand or his mouth.  Every interview he's chain smoking.  All we can do is wonder if he hadn't smoked if the disease would have shown so early or at all
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:09:39 AM by BMCsteve »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So yea, rare and random.
[close]

If you have a genetic susceptibility to leukemia, smoking cigarettes will increase the chances of developing it

Not trying to take anything away from the horrible loss of Dylan or saying that was a factor for him but it certainly didn't help.  

90% of the tributes I've seen of him since his passing have a cigarette in his hand or his mouth.  Every interview he's chain smoking.  All we can do is wonder if he hadn't smoked if the disease would have shown so early or at all

I think we can not do that at all and let him rest in peace without saying "well he should have/should not have done these things"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:21:29 AM by shit_for_brains »

sluggers

« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So yea, rare and random.
[close]

[close]

I think we can not do that at all and let him rest in peace without saying "well he should have/should not have done these things"

I don't think BMCSteve was saying that, only that for acute myeloid leukemia (not sure that was the type of Leukemia Dylan had) the only proven lifestyle-related risk factor for it is smoking.

BMCsteve

« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So yea, rare and random.
[close]

Not trying to take anything away from the horrible loss of Dylan or saying that was a factor for him but it certainly didn't help. �

90% of the tributes I've seen of him since his passing have a cigarette in his hand or his mouth. �Every interview he's chain smoking. �All we can do is wonder if he hadn't smoked if the disease would have shown so early or at all
[close]

I didnt say he should or should have not done anything.  it was his life, he lived it how he wanted and he fought the disease how he wanted.  I'm not judging him or his decisions

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
I smoked probably as hard and as long as Dylan did (I just quit, not important really) and don't have cancer. One of my best friends, who also skated, died at age 18 from Leukemia. He never smoked, he never did any drugs at all. He also was expected to pull through, then had a hard relapse that ended his life. So let's not do the "he had it coming" thing.  Leukemia is a fucking horrific disease that can get anybody, and has a terrible way of killing children and young people.
I'm not going to lie and claim Dylan was ever my favorite skater, but its impossible to deny the impact he had on skateboarding as a culture. His spirit moves on, but his impact and legacy will continue on.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

shit_for_brains

« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So yea, rare and random.
[close]

Not trying to take anything away from the horrible loss of Dylan or saying that was a factor for him but it certainly didn't help. �

90% of the tributes I've seen of him since his passing have a cigarette in his hand or his mouth. �Every interview he's chain smoking. �All we can do is wonder if he hadn't smoked if the disease would have shown so early or at all
[close]

[close]

I didnt say he should or should have not done anything.  it was his life, he lived it how he wanted and he fought the disease how he wanted.  I'm not judging him or his decisions

I know you didn't say that and aren't judging him, I'm saying that "all we can do is wonder..." is way off base and probably the opposite of what people should do.

Can of Soup

« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »
Gutted. A massive loss for skateboarding. Thank you for everything you did, Dylan.

sluggers

« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
"You just figure it out, that is the cool thing about being a skateboarder, or being a musician, or being an artist, you figure it out your own way, and you do it your way. It is never good enough, but, that is the good part about it though, you continue on the next project. Keep, keep it going." - Dylan Rieder (1988-2016)

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »
I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I highly encourage everyone to sign up to be in the bone marrow donor registry. Chances are they'll never match you with anyone, but if they do, you could easily save someone's life. All you need to do is send in a cheek swab and they'll keep you in a database in case there is someone in need who can accept your donation. If you do match, they can get a marrow donation the same way they would take a plasma donation (none of the drilling into your hip business anymore).

https://bethematch.org/

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I highly encourage everyone to sign up to be in the bone marrow donor registry. Chances are they'll never match you with anyone, but if they do, you could easily save someone's life. All you need to do is send in a cheek swab and they'll keep you in a database in case there is someone in need who can accept your donation. If you do match, they can get a marrow donation the same way they would take a plasma donation (none of the drilling into your hip business anymore).

https://bethematch.org/
I did not know this. Thank you for teaching me something new today.

swag nollies

« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2016, 10:05:09 AM »
At least he made an impact on people and got his name out beore he died.