Author Topic: Another alternative(?) board construction with $80 US price tag, Powell Flight  (Read 7199 times)

JAesop

Supposed to be 25% thinner, 200% stronger, 10% lighter and blah blah blah. 79.95 on So Cal site. Anybody know anything about these? From the pics it just looks like carbon fiber over wood kind of like the Tum Yeto / fiber lam decks. I' ll post a pic here in a minute.

Does look thin.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:45:06 AM by JAesop »

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I stood on one and it was trippy.....felt like wood....5 plies...not sure if there's anything else in there.....

Surprised how normal it felt but obviously lighter....concave felt really good and it felt stiff and snappy too.....

Unless it lasts twice as long might be a tough sell....good to see Powell trying though for sure....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
looks like some libtech junk.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
I'm bummed they didn't call it Boneite 2.0!

Could be fun to try but the price tag is going to limit sales and it's longevity in the market. Not sure whom they are targeting.

P2s and Impacts are already $60+ and offer the same thing (well P2s do).

This deck, some Thunder TIs....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
I'm bummed they didn't call it Boneite 2.0!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -1
Doubt it last much longer than normal decks. Skateboard manufacturers realized long ago it's bad for business to make durable skateboards.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
my buddy is trying one out and I took a lil spin, felt extremely stiff. The shape was a lot better than any powell popsicle I've seen but still not what I like to skate. He's backin it so far and likes to get his huck on so we'll see how it holds up
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Main

• Rep: -208
I'd try one if they made blanks. The graphic sucks.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
Doubt it last much longer than normal decks. Skateboard manufacturers realized long ago it's bad for business to make durable skateboards.

Maybe it does, but with tech boards razor tail is never really accounted for.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -1
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe it does, but with tech boards razor tail is never really accounted for.

Yeah... using good wood pushes the profit margins too low.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
woah looks cool, but idk i feel like as long as your doing things like deluxe using good wood, good glue and good shapes theres no need for tech construction like p2 or impact plus but thats just me

i know these things are good for those jumpers

i was watching that nigel alexander/nka interview tj rogers while setting up a board and tj said that the impact boards are so good certain brands or pros come to the dwindle office to screen theyre stuff on the impact boards, i wonder who :o ;D

whos mainstream and pro for powell anymore though? didnt they drop theyre street team cause of financial issues and thats why hoff went to stereo
yes

JAesop

woah looks cool, but idk i feel like as long as your doing things like deluxe using good wood, good glue and good shapes theres no need for tech construction like p2 or impact plus but thats just me

i was watching that nigel alexander/nka interview tj rogers while setting up a board and tj said that the impact boards are so good certain brands or pros come to the dwindle office to screen theyre stuff on the impact boards, i wonder who :o ;D

whos mainstream and pro for powell anymore though? didnt they drop theyre street team cause of financial issues and thats why hoff went to stereo

I don't know how mainstream but Brad McClain and Ben Hatchell decks due any minute now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
Yeah, I do think if all the pros started to ride better decks....skaters would follow.....Id definitely have a better chance of nollie flipping this board versus some soggy dead board....

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305

Xen

• SLAP Pal
Setup an 8.5", it actually measures 8.38 across the front and in typical PP fashion, 8.25 across the rear (it has the wheelbase I've been chasing ;)

It's thin but feels dense (like the opposite of some brands that are thick but have that hollow feel to them, like NHS)
It's stiff, yet has flex
It's light, yet heavier than an 8.375 Creature P2 (both with mob-m80) - yes, on a scale...
Medium kick/concave

It has a football shape (not the 90s kind), the nose and tail tapers seem to start right at the kick - kind reminds of a Kayo but slightly less pointy.

First skate was fucking weird, man. You think it's going to break...

Ollies are snappy as hell
flips feel great/easier .seriously.
bowls feel a bit odd at first - it just feels thin standing on it
landing ollies or jumping off stuff...it feels fragile (mentally) but I'm not hucking my shit off 20 sets.

Tried it with indy ti and thunder ti / big wheels and small thin wheels; the thunder ti with slim wheels is a crazy ride.

Highly doubt anyone with a manual game would want to own this as I can only imagine razor tailing in a matter of days; hell impossibles and tre-flip practice are already showing pretty hardcore and I've only put a few hours on it.

Neat, if anything.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433

FLIGHT decks are:

Thinner - as thin as your phone
Lighter than a similar sized 7-ply
Stronger - more than twice as strong in our tail break tests
Longer lasting - The epoxy infused, fiber reinforced structure of the Flight deck is extremely resistant to breaking, and this structure gives Flight decks "everlasting pop" that doesn't fade as your Flight deck slowly wears.
Ollies higher because of greater rebound and snap.
Team testing suggests that Flight decks will last several times as long as a 7-ply, making them a great value as well as a superior performing skateboard.

sounds too good to be true.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Another dumb gimmick

Land bolts and your problems are solved

Might buy one

Tyson

• Rep: 1
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Charlie Blair and Eddie "Mighty" Moreno are Powell's only pros at the moment.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
Another dumb gimmick

Land bolts and your problems are solved

Might buy one

Lemme guess.....you still play with a wooden stick too....

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
Setup an 8.5", it actually measures 8.38 across the front and in typical PP fashion, 8.25 across the rear (it has the wheelbase I've been chasing ;)

It's thin but feels dense (like the opposite of some brands that are thick but have that hollow feel to them, like NHS)
It's stiff, yet has flex
It's light, yet heavier than an 8.375 Creature P2 (both with mob-m80) - yes, on a scale...
Medium kick/concave

It has a football shape (not the 90s kind), the nose and tail tapers seem to start right at the kick - kind reminds of a Kayo but slightly less pointy.

First skate was fucking weird, man. You think it's going to break...

Ollies are snappy as hell
flips feel great/easier .seriously.
bowls feel a bit odd at first - it just feels thin standing on it
landing ollies or jumping off stuff...it feels fragile (mentally) but I'm not hucking my shit off 20 sets.

Tried it with indy ti and thunder ti / big wheels and small thin wheels; the thunder ti with slim wheels is a crazy ride.

Highly doubt anyone with a manual game would want to own this as I can only imagine razor tailing in a matter of days; hell impossibles and tre-flip practice are already showing pretty hardcore and I've only put a few hours on it.

Neat, if anything.
I appreciate the review. The claims Powell made sounded pretty cool but I was wondering about the "razor tail factor" considering that the board is so thin. For a guy who usually skates a board until the tail gets sharp, the idea of that razor tailing happening faster is a bummer. I'm still infatuated with how light the boards are though. I've wasted $80 on more frivolous things in my life, so who knows...
ableSkateMag.com

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122

those mini logo trucks not breaking under pressure

Xen

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]
those mini logo trucks not breaking under pressure

Right? When the rear wheel rolled over it I thought for sure that kingpin would pop.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Another dumb gimmick

Land bolts and your problems are

solved. Might buy one

Nice haiku, tracer.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
Skate Warehouse has em, plus a 20% off sale if you wanna try one out.

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Powell_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKPOWELL.html
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Xen

• SLAP Pal
Put some more hours on it and the more I skate it the more I like everything about it but the shape.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
What about it do you like?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
What about it do you like?

It's light
It''s rigid
It's REALLY poppy
Great WB @14.375

Tail is fine, it's the nose. It's hard to describe but right as the curve starts near the nose tip it makes an abrupt curve to finish off, there is also a funky thing going on right at the kick; bunch of us were talking about this very thing today, nobody liked the shape past the front truck.

I can't post images anymore from google for some reason..

https://goo.gl/photos/

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:15:03 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
Yeah the one I tried felt really springy....

How's it wearing?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
Woah! saw this thread and just got a flash back to a dream from last night where i saw someone talking about how they broke one of these on their first trick.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
I wouldn't ride one.
you never know about pre-cum