Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328917 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3780 on: April 16, 2024, 01:04:29 AM »
Considering some Thunders but I shouldn't but you know how it goes
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

lulz

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3781 on: April 16, 2024, 11:02:21 AM »
I'm in the market for the best skate tool. This might be it.

It could be, if you don’t have a bearing press and you don’t want to be able to carry it in you pocket.

This is my favorite, for having on me:

vietnamese characters

It keeps me from damaging the seals, when there’s only an hour to skate and I need to change out to different wheels, really fast.

Please let us know which one you get and how you like it….

:) lol

Edited in actual tool, it looks so much better slightly used….
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 06:45:37 PM by lulz »

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3782 on: April 17, 2024, 05:08:40 PM »

I have one and I can't recommend it.

The plastic body of the tool is larger in diameter than the sockets and prevents the tool from fitting onto the kingpin nut on many trucks. Ironically it's especially bad on some indys.

I have an Ace tool specifically because the Indy wouldn't fit my trucks.

I asked Indy to refund my money and they wouldn't.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3783 on: April 17, 2024, 08:46:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The plastic body of the tool is larger in diameter than the sockets and prevents the tool from fitting onto the kingpin nut on many trucks. Ironically it's especially bad on some indys.

I have had a few, only ever broken the deck bolt / kingpin hex head attachment part, but yeah they are chunky and often not so good with kingpins, but the rethreader alone is the main thing I have it for, with other smaller / thinner tools similar to Ace, Spitfire, Modus and others for doing up / taking off deck bolts and kingpin nuts.

Being the original Reflex design patent, they are maybe one of the most expensive skate tools on the market too, as far as a simple enough tool with no moving parts, but the tool itself is solid and the main body in all of mine has held up really well over the many years I have had them - one in each place I work / skate / car, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 786
« Reply #3784 on: April 18, 2024, 02:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indy tool won't fit indy trucks? Jesus...

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
hardly art, hardly starving

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3786 on: April 18, 2024, 05:06:03 PM »
Considering buying aces, been on Thunder lights the past few years. Also thinking about the Samba adv for some reason.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3787 on: April 21, 2024, 07:18:28 AM »
Really wanna support shanahan and get some JS1’s

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3788 on: April 21, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »
Giving serious thought to picking up a Generator G86 deck from skatesamples.com of late.
God help me; I certainly have no need of more wood and yet, here I find myself, rationalizing another bloard.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3789 on: April 21, 2024, 04:45:00 PM »
Anyone ever ridden a Palace 8.2 or 8.3? I usually ride Thunders (usually forged plates) or Ventures and I can't find a good measurement of the kicks. A friend told me they have tiny tails, but there's a Lucas Puig deck on sale I'm tempted by.

LeDave

• Rep: -14
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #3790 on: April 21, 2024, 04:51:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I am going to get the Silver tool.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3791 on: April 21, 2024, 05:51:12 PM »
Anyone ever ridden a Palace 8.2 or 8.3? I usually ride Thunders (usually forged plates) or Ventures and I can't find a good measurement of the kicks. A friend told me they have tiny tails, but there's a Lucas Puig deck on sale I'm tempted by.

i’d also like to hear about palace decks. first one last one was in the olly todd era. no local shops carry.
i’ve thought about mail ordering one from uprise

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #3792 on: April 21, 2024, 06:08:29 PM »
will indy 144 works well with april boards? currently using 8.375 mariano deck with 148 thunder standards. thinking to get indy 144 hollow/forged hollow, i wonder how much off my timings will be. wheels now F4 53mm CF.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #3793 on: April 21, 2024, 08:20:10 PM »

i’d also like to hear about palace decks. first one last one was in the olly todd era. no local shops carry.
i’ve thought about mail ordering one from uprise

Palace is DSM wood (like anything from Dwindle) so for the most part they are the same, but the 8.3 shape is a weird one with a super long 14.8 wheelbase and also people have said it measures longer than listed, about 32.2 or so, whereas all other shapes are way more normal in dimensions.

If you have had any other epoxy resin pressed deck, you would know how stiff and snappy they are, way stiffer than the normal boards from major suppliers from Mexico, like BBS or PS Stix.  Too stiff for me personally, but other people love them and skate well on them.

What else are you coming from in terms of previous wood / brands or whatever sizes of board?

Woodshop thread here to compare boards:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3794 on: April 21, 2024, 08:42:12 PM »
Giving serious thought to picking up a Generator G86 deck from skatesamples.com of late.
God help me; I certainly have no need of more wood and yet, here I find myself, rationalizing another bloard.

Same, on the twin egg shape (GFB), even though I've never skated an egg or anything above 8.5 in my entire life. The G85S looks interesting too.

Are you allowed to mix boards sizes in the 5 or 10 pack? Would make it easier to share the load among friends.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3795 on: April 21, 2024, 08:57:52 PM »
will indy 144 works well with april boards? currently using 8.375 mariano deck with 148 thunder standards. thinking to get indy 144 hollow/forged hollow, i wonder how much off my timings will be. wheels now F4 53mm CF.

That is the generic Generator 8.375 that probably works fine with anything. I hate forged Indys, but I had that shape a few times on forged Thunders and liked it fine. If you don't dislike it now there's likely nothing to be gained by switching trucks.

I mostly rode Thunders for years but then tried Aces and Indys for a while. Totally gaslighted about the baseplate and turn by lurking this sub. Rode those brands for 5 years before switching back and it was often a waste of time at best.

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #3796 on: April 21, 2024, 09:33:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is the generic Generator 8.375 that probably works fine with anything. I hate forged Indys, but I had that shape a few times on forged Thunders and liked it fine. If you don't dislike it now there's likely nothing to be gained by switching trucks.

I mostly rode Thunders for years but then tried Aces and Indys for a while. Totally gaslighted about the baseplate and turn by lurking this sub. Rode those brands for 5 years before switching back and it was often a waste of time at best.

thanks for the insights. coming into my 40s soon i am still far from settling down on constant shape vs suitable trucks but for sizes  gonna ride with 8.25-8.3 for a while. i might getting the indys just to alternating between setups a-la Ben D.G....also this year is the first time ever i felt very good on board after few years of slight pain and full year last year twisted my knee. had the indys last time but it was in my pain era so not really felt good on anything that time.