Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324553 times)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2520 on: November 19, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
C’mon man, you know that Toy is going to feel like shit and/or break after a week. You know what the right thing to do is.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2521 on: November 19, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »
Go ahead and call me a kook but I'm thinking hard about rubber grip tape. I was at the park a few months ago and a local was absolutely ripping on it. Prior to that, I had only ever seen it on the decks of guys trying pressure flips on the gimmicky Powell helmet kid deck and magnesium Tensors or whatever - so seeing someone blast a frontside air off the vert wall made me realize that this stuff was probably better than I expect

The reality is, I hate what skating does to shoes. I hate that I take a pair of shoes and skate in them for ~1-2 months, then they go to sit in a landfill (or get "recycled") for the rest of time. Every ollie dumps microplastic everywhere that get washed into the ocean or some other place where we don't want them

So yeah, has anyone tried the DKL griptape? Does it work?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2522 on: November 19, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »
C’mon man, you know that Toy is going to feel like shit and/or break after a week. You know what the right thing to do is.

Truth, get the Quasi, your skating will thank you for it.

Go ahead and call me a kook but I'm thinking hard about rubber grip tape. I was at the park a few months ago and a local was absolutely ripping on it. Prior to that, I had only ever seen it on the decks of guys trying pressure flips on the gimmicky Powell helmet kid deck and magnesium Tensors or whatever - so seeing someone blast a frontside air off the vert wall made me realize that this stuff was probably better than I expect

The reality is, I hate what skating does to shoes. I hate that I take a pair of shoes and skate in them for ~1-2 months, then they go to sit in a landfill (or get "recycled") for the rest of time. Every ollie dumps microplastic everywhere that get washed into the ocean or some other place where we don't want them

So yeah, has anyone tried the DKL griptape? Does it work?

Tried it on someones board at the park and it did not work for me. The grip was strange but managable, something I could get used to given enough time. The pop was weird, having a layer of rubber over the deck dampened the pop, making the deck feel bouncy instead of snappy, the thing I hate the most.

You make a good point about micro-plastics. Vegan leather may be a good alternative if you want to reduce microplastics. It may not look good but I still use shoegoo on my shoes to extend their lifespan, will keep goo-ing up the sides until the soles have holes in them before I toss them out. Also, I try to correct how I skate, less of the scraping my soles against the grip when setting up for tricks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2523 on: November 19, 2020, 06:20:20 PM »
Tried it on someones board at the park and it did not work for me. The grip was strange but managable, something I could get used to given enough time. The pop was weird, having a layer of rubber over the deck dampened the pop, making the deck feel bouncy instead of snappy, the thing I hate the most.

You make a good point about micro-plastics. Vegan leather may be a good alternative if you want to reduce microplastics. It may not look good but I still use shoegoo on my shoes to extend their lifespan, will keep goo-ing up the sides until the soles have holes in them before I toss them out. Also, I try to correct how I skate, less of the scraping my soles against the grip when setting up for tricks.

Yeah, I tried it too. The board was pretty beat up, but I was able to ollie without issue. It definitely felt different, but something I could get used to. I take your point about the softness though, and I'm not picky, but this is *the* thing that bothers me. I want to know if anyone here has bought it, skated it for the length of a deck, and can tell me about it. I guess I want Ben Degros to review it

As for "vegan leather", you are just describing plastics. It's all a petrochemical of one kind or another. The best option there would be actual leather or canvas, and yeah, once you have Shoe Goo on, you're back to square one. This issue, for me, applies more to the sole than to the side of the shoe, and that's always going to be synthetic rubber (again, another type of plastic), which accounts for more microplastic than any other single source
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2524 on: November 19, 2020, 06:22:39 PM »
Lance's blazer from a friend tomorrow. New in box for a low price nothing can best that
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #2525 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »
Shout out to @chris. And @rocklobster. Pretty much what I needed to read
The chillest1

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #2526 on: November 19, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »
Thinking of either a Toy Machine knuckles board or a Quasi Al Davis board.

The Toy is cheaper, and I can pick it up tomorrow, but I like Quasi as a company more but will take probably a week in the mail.

Don't need a board right away and the quasi is like 6 more with a first time customer code.

the toy machine Knuckles board i had a few months ago was easily the biggest piece of shit I've ridden in 20 years.  stay far far away.  Coincidentally, I skated my first Quasi right after and it was awesome. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #2527 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Thinking of either a Toy Machine knuckles board or a Quasi Al Davis board.

The Toy is cheaper, and I can pick it up tomorrow, but I like Quasi as a company more but will take probably a week in the mail.

Don't need a board right away and the quasi is like 6 more with a first time customer code.
[close]

the toy machine Knuckles board i had a few months ago was easily the biggest piece of shit I've ridden in 20 years.  stay far far away.  Coincidentally, I skated my first Quasi right after and it was awesome.

Pulled the trigger and my new Quasi ships out tomorrow. Excited. Always, loved the company, stoked to finally support them
The chillest1

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2528 on: November 19, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »

hey slap, i’m looking for a board, and due to covid and all that supplies at a pretty low place. i’m looking for boards between 8.75 to 9.25 wide. something that’s a more full popsicle shape, ideally with a squarer tail, and a wheelbase between 14.25 and 14.75z anyone know of anything? thanks pals, and many shaloms! i’m in canada btw so anything from canada would be ideal.
niggling

[/quote]

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2529 on: November 20, 2020, 05:49:49 AM »

hey slap, i’m looking for a board, and due to covid and all that supplies at a pretty low place. i’m looking for boards between 8.75 to 9.25 wide. something that’s a more full popsicle shape, ideally with a squarer tail, and a wheelbase between 14.25 and 14.75z anyone know of anything? thanks pals, and many shaloms! i’m in canada btw so anything from canada would be ideal.

I think creature and dark room has some about that size a few doom sayers and I’d assume bacon and anti hero would have a few in those sizes.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2530 on: November 20, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »
Thinking of buying the NB 440s, even though the last thing I need is another pair of shoes. The 440 Slap smorgasbord/black sock convention this year maintained my interest.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2531 on: November 20, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
Contemplating 95a or 97a wheels. Those NFG’s are tempting.

GooseDick69

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2532 on: November 20, 2020, 05:19:07 PM »
Wanting a new board after working all this damn overtime and not skating. Been riding a Dwindle 8.375, but the shit feels kinda heavy and just not very good. Thinking of buying an 8.25 Quasi after seeing such good reviews on them. Just dont know which one to get. My local(ish) shop just got a new shipment and I feel like I should pull the trigger before everything sells out. Anyone got any info on the concave/kicks? I would just ask the shop but they're encouraging curbside pickups cause covids running through our state like a motherfucker, and I have BAD anxiety and dont wanna look like a doofus asking a bunch of damn questions.
Rap, Go to the league, or do a Kickflip.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2533 on: November 20, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
Thinking of conical or conical full 52s. seems like a small size for a wide wheel, but for 8.25 it seems perfect

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #2534 on: November 20, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »
Thinking about this deck:

Would be pairing it with Indy 144s.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2535 on: November 20, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »
Some fucking 148 TEAM TI or HOLLOW Thunders if and when I can fucking find them @#%$@$^@%@!!$@!

Not sure if I want to buy a set of Ace 44 or the Venture 5.8 lights?

That decision would make my brain fry. Trick style and the type terrain you are riding should help you determine what's right.

DO IT

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2536 on: November 21, 2020, 02:39:56 AM »
Some fucking 148 TEAM TI or HOLLOW Thunders if and when I can fucking find them @#%$@$^@%@!!$@!

Expand Quote
Not sure if I want to buy a set of Ace 44 or the Venture 5.8 lights?
[close]

That decision would make my brain fry. Trick style and the type terrain you are riding should help you determine what's right.

Expand Quote

[close]

DO IT
I second this fine motion, go for it
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2537 on: November 21, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »
Have the chance to buy a pair of one stars and a pair of LL pro for under $90. Any one have feedback?

Also not loving the thunder teams I have and really am lost with where to go truck wise. The Polar 8.5 shape I like has a 14.5 WB always and I need to find a truck good for the longer WB. I'm only 5'8" so extending the WB with ventures might not be ideal. Not sure if I need to go back to Indy or try Ace.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2538 on: November 21, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »
Have the chance to buy a pair of one stars and a pair of LL pro for under $90. Any one have feedback?

Also not loving the thunder teams I have and really am lost with where to go truck wise. The Polar 8.5 shape I like has a 14.5 WB always and I need to find a truck good for the longer WB. I'm only 5'8" so extending the WB with ventures might not be ideal. Not sure if I need to go back to Indy or try Ace.

ACE or ATGs

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #2539 on: November 21, 2020, 05:11:58 PM »
I can’t decide between 54mm/56mm Loophole square/V shapes or 54/56mm F4 99a Conical Fulls/Radials.

The V shapes look rad but also maybe a little too wide and the edges a little too sharp.

I use 52mm Conical Fulls now with no complaints. I just want to try something new.

I’ll be pairing my selection with a Polar deck and Ace 44’s. Any input or advice is welcome.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #2540 on: November 21, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »

Currently skating LL's and I'm a fan. The rubber appears to be wearing quite a bit but I haven't had them for a week yet. Not sure if they reach a threshold once the flick groove comes in but I got a nice groove going right now.

Probably gonna get some more next weekend.
The chillest1

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2541 on: November 21, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »
The nostalgia is hitting me hard and has me wanting to grab one of these remixed Blind decks. I'm leaning more towards the Mixmaster or boombox decks.

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2542 on: November 21, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »
bout to get a 7.75 darkroom, anybody tried one?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:52:29 PM by DA BIG BODY BENZ »

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #2543 on: November 22, 2020, 08:18:34 AM »

Not sure about dims but considering it's a bbs you should be good. From what I know about their 8.375, the wheel bases seem to run slightly wrong which COULD, mean a trimmer nose.

I like drkrm and might get that 8.375. They have crazy sizes tho. John Clemmons rips too
The chillest1

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2544 on: November 22, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »

For what it’s worth, i rode 3 polar 8.5s in a row with 44s and it was one of my favorite combos ever. If i were you, i’d definitely go for it! plus 44s are just a nice truck to have. if you don’t like em you can always throw them on a cruiser

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2545 on: November 22, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »
Cardiel 8.62, the slightly shorter one. Yes I frequently extol the virtues of 7.75. In a crisis tho, flippery has been off, want to learn some transition.

97a spitfire from 144p’s recommendation.

Vans authentics, cons, or last resort ab

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2546 on: November 22, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »

Indy forged hollow on that Polar sounds like a good combo to me. I ran Indy 149 forged hollows on three 8.5 Polars in a row and loved each one. No ghost pop from height (the 8.5 shape can be somewhat steep on the kicks sometimes) and definitely felt stable and not like it was too long.
 I'm 5'11" though so maybe Ace may be a better choice? I mostly see people doing Indy and Ace on Polar boards in the wild. Very rarely do i see Venture and Thunder.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2547 on: November 22, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »
While I have a much bigger darkroom, you will be good. BBS so you know it’s quality. As long as the dims work for you I think you will be happy

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2548 on: November 22, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indy forged hollow on that Polar sounds like a good combo to me. I ran Indy 149 forged hollows on three 8.5 Polars in a row and loved each one. No ghost pop from height (the 8.5 shape can be somewhat steep on the kicks sometimes) and definitely felt stable and not like it was too long.
 I'm 5'11" though so maybe Ace may be a better choice? I mostly see people doing Indy and Ace on Polar boards in the wild. Very rarely do i see Venture and Thunder.

Thanks for the feedback. Going to try some Indy's. I like stable trucks and I think aces might be too squirrelly when they break in. Usually 97du bushings in venture/thunder and 94du in Indy.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2549 on: November 22, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
Foundation Ronnie Creager Trix re-issue. Found it on China's Amazon for some reason.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m