Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324507 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2730 on: January 09, 2021, 02:46:35 PM »
Romero laced or Spanky g6. I want the Romero because I can go no laces and use as a slip . But I want to try  the Spanky g6 sole. I’m also worried the Romero’s will  hurt my Achilles because I had some years ago that hurt but to be honest never gave them a chance to break in

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2731 on: January 09, 2021, 02:55:54 PM »
Romero laced or Spanky g6. I want the Romero because I can go no laces and use as a slip . But I want to try  the Spanky g6 sole. I’m also worried the Romero’s will  hurt my Achilles because I had some years ago that hurt but to be honest never gave them a chance to break in

I also had the same achilles problem with the Romeros. Wore them for literally an hour and had blisters on both feet.  One of the few shoes I couldn't wait to get off my feet.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2732 on: January 09, 2021, 03:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I also had the same achilles problem with the Romeros. Wore them for literally an hour and had blisters on both feet.  One of the few shoes I couldn't wait to get off my feet.

Did they ever get better and break in?

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #2733 on: January 09, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did they ever get better and break in?

fwiw I had a pair of the Romero Laced a couple years ago and had no achilles issues (whereas the Lakai Proto tore my shit up prior to break-in). Was nice to take the laces out and use em as slip-ons for dog cruising once I retired em from skating.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2734 on: January 09, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »
I'll echo the Romero Laced digging into my foot. Terrible blisters. The opening of the foot was also huge so it would be snug up front but my heel would slide around. They were unwearable.

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2735 on: January 09, 2021, 11:43:06 PM »
new deck cuz i fucked the nose up pretty bad on this curb and everytime i skate it another piece fall off
https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/decks/standard/sk8mafia/house-logo-checker-deck-81-pid-57800

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2736 on: January 10, 2021, 12:18:08 AM »
Laced has awesome flick and was really durable, but never had a shoe that would have that much heel slip. Couldn't even consider rocking them without laces.

Spanky on the other hand is great shoe all around. Fully recommend them.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2737 on: January 10, 2021, 01:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Laced has awesome flick and was really durable, but never had a shoe that would have that much heel slip. Couldn't even consider rocking them without laces.

Spanky on the other hand is great shoe all around. Fully recommend them.

If you have a wider foot it helps with the Laced. I walked in the Romero Laced for a few months. The Spanky looks like there’s more to it.
Also, the Romero’s centering straps stretch out. The Figgy has more of a sock thing instead of the centering straps.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2738 on: January 10, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »
Romero Laced look great and are minimal but that thin heel collar isn't for everyone. I didn't like it, and felt I couldn't get my ankle secure enough in the pair I had as I continued to wear them. I don't have slim ankles (nor do I have cankles), either. However, they were pretty comfy aside from that. I never got the blisters or discomfort on my Achilles but I wear thicker socks so maybe that's why?

The Figgy 1 or Spanky G6 do the minimal dressy skate shoe with a little more ankle padding a bit better, imo.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Considering a Black Label! Haven't skated one since late 2008, which was a used hand me down from a homie and the only Label I've ever had. Enjoyed the fuck out of it (because it was good and  because I had nothing else)! First 8.25 as I was used to 8 before that.

Anyone skated the Label lately? I'm interested in popsicles, not classic shapes, by the way.
[close]

Yes and they are awesome!

BBS wood, good shapes and although I don't care a bit about graphics compared to the feel of the board, there are some cool graphics out as well.

From the Black Label thread I posted some info which is relevant here too (sizes and wb in info on the shop site):

Maybe if anyone is trying to track some down, ask John or email him for local places that might order them, if you cannot order from the website.

http://blacklabelskates.com/

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/
[close]

Thank you!! I browsed the website earlier and the dims on the 8.5" and 8.38" (what I'm interested in) seem to match up to what I like. I thought they were BBS but hadn't checked yet. I actually enjoy most of their graphics but haven't been paying attention to them lately until I saw some recent Hassan footage and reminded me of that deck I had in late 2008. Lol

I'll go hit that thread up. Didn't see it when I looked for black label stuff on here earlier, so I'll check again.

If I want a deck, I'll probably hit up SoCal Skate or Tactics since they have some in stock that I like. Glad I can do that before going direct! John is a stand up guy, though so I wouldn't mind direct if I had to!
[close]

Do it! Riding an 8.68 Black Label Crutch deck right now and it's a great shape. I might pick up the 8.38 Hassan as well.

I did!! Waiting patiently for the 8.5 Troy (felt like supporting a pro over a team deck) and Pfanner 8.5 Antihero that was calling my name!
If I like the Troy I may try out the Hassan and/or the 8.68 Crutch shape down the road since I rotate between 8.38" and 8.7" with my main on 8.5". Thanks for feedback on Label quality also!  8)
Super Champion Fun Zone

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2739 on: January 10, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »
I had a super fun session today on my Label. Great deck, you’ll dig it.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2740 on: January 10, 2021, 01:30:49 PM »
Working my way back from a pulled hamstring.  Even before that, I thought of getting Thunders for my popsicle set up.  Any recs?

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #2741 on: January 10, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »
Working my way back from a pulled hamstring.  Even before that, I thought of getting Thunders for my popsicle set up.  Any recs?

Team hollows are pretty great choice

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2742 on: January 10, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Team hollows are a great middle ground. Cast baseplate but hollow axle and kingpin. If your getting thunders those are the ones to get

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2743 on: January 10, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Team hollows are a great middle ground. Cast baseplate but hollow axle and kingpin. If your getting thunders those are the ones to get

Out attempting to skate today. Some ligaments issues in both knees make popping very painful. Can mitigate this somewhat with a lower truck. Lighter also helps the ligaments in my opinion.
Hope the thunders work for you!

sleepyguy824

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2744 on: January 13, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »
Scooped up a pair of these in olive green from a thrift store for $15 over the weekend:

https://www.tactics.com/a/7zte/e/lynxpost.jpg

Sole still felt intact.

I'm heading to Perth next week and thought about picking up a local board:

https://folklore.com.au/product/ricky-glaser-pro-fibre-tech-lite/

I usually buy and keep a board from every country I visit but i'm really keen to actually skate this one.

@Rocklobster Did you get the fibre tech lite deck? If so how was it? A small run is available in the US but with shipping the cost of the deck will be over $80 USD to me. Wondering if it is worth it. The carbon fibre top layer seems similar to the P2 deck from Flip and NHS.

Here is the deck I was looking at.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2745 on: January 13, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »

Sorry, jumping the thread, but Folklore fibre tops (or any of those type of boards) do hold up really well if you break boards more by snapping the tail / nose off, and even hold up with heavy lipslides or tricks to deck, but do not do anything if you land in the middle of the board or put a foot through it, as one of the guys I know found out within the first hour of the first session when he went to skate big drops.

Concave is on par with Santa Cruz / Creature, so if you like that sort of thing, it is good.

There are a few other options for having boards last a whole lot longer, including the VX decks also from Santa Cruz / Creature and other Dwindle versions in the US.

I have seen a whole lot of Folklore decks last well and in pieces here in Australia, but for the cost, it might be cheaper to get something more local if you are not here.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2746 on: January 13, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry, jumping the thread, but Folklore fibre tops (or any of those type of boards) do hold up really well if you break boards more by snapping the tail / nose off, and even hold up with heavy lipslides or tricks to deck, but do not do anything if you land in the middle of the board or put a foot through it, as one of the guys I know found out within the first hour of the first session when he went to skate big drops.

Concave is on par with Santa Cruz / Creature, so if you like that sort of thing, it is good.

There are a few other options for having boards last a whole lot longer, including the VX decks also from Santa Cruz / Creature and other Dwindle versions in the US.

I have seen a whole lot of Folklore decks last well and in pieces here in Australia, but for the cost, it might be cheaper to get something more local if you are not here.

@sleepyguy824 - got and rode one back in Dec 2019 - Feb 2020. Medium steep kicks medium concave. I really enjoyed the board but the dims are not to everyone's liking. I rode the 8.0 x 32 x 14 which paired well with Venture V-Hollow. The board stayed fresh despite some razor tail which took a long to set in. At the $80 price point the VX decks will offer better value IMO.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2747 on: January 14, 2021, 07:59:48 AM »
got a couple things i want to check out, can't buy all of it tho. runners up are:

shoes: last resort vs state vs proper

trucks: film vs polster vs 215 indys made smaller

wheels: nfg mfg 95a vs f4 97a for rougher surfaces; nfg mfg/loophole 101a vs prize fighter(whenever those come out again) vs haze wheels to find a f4 99a alternative for whenever a drought hits again

decks: new craigwood vs some new dwindle stuff vs the dude from denmark who presses bloards

but maybe i'll just buy more baker decks, another pair of 1010s and stick with my trucks, because they are fine.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2748 on: January 14, 2021, 03:33:30 PM »
Don’t think, just buy loopholes... especially in 56mm conical shape!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
« Reply #2749 on: January 14, 2021, 05:34:02 PM »
A few items in old duder’s brain ATM:

GT blazer in green/yellow

This reissued Lance/BA gem:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Anti_Hero_Brian_Anderson_Lance_Art_Deck/descpage-AHBALXDK.html

Bones 6-balls

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #2750 on: January 16, 2021, 02:10:05 PM »
Anybody tried Dialtone wheels? I am in love with this Trahan graphic (second slide)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKHEq5SnLC7/?igshid=14li2pqmvsrvj
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #2751 on: January 16, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »
A few items in old duder’s brain ATM:

GT blazer in green/yellow

This reissued Lance/BA gem:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Anti_Hero_Brian_Anderson_Lance_Art_Deck/descpage-AHBALXDK.html

Bones 6-balls
I’m skating the bones 6-balls on my new setup and really like them. Seem to keep my speed for longer for sure.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2752 on: January 16, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »
Anybody tried Dialtone wheels? I am in love with this Trahan graphic (second slide)

Before the Wheel thread went off on fake wheel rant for the last page or two (my fault too I guess) I posted the Dialtone wheels from Uprise Instagram post and one dude said good things about them.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3478227#msg3478227

Not 100% sure, but they seem like the same formula (from Creative Urethane) as a few other fairly well known smaller brands, also including the relaunch of Satori, some of the SML wheels and a few others.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2753 on: January 16, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Before the Wheel thread went off on fake wheel rant for the last page or two (my fault too I guess) I posted the Dialtone wheels from Uprise Instagram post and one dude said good things about them.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3478227#msg3478227

Not 100% sure, but they seem like the same formula (from Creative Urethane) as a few other fairly well known smaller brands, also including the relaunch of Satori, some of the SML wheels and a few others.

Good looks, I am hesitant because I've been on f4's for years now and nervous I'll be let down by something new

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2754 on: January 17, 2021, 05:16:07 AM »

Good looks, I am hesitant because I've been on f4's for years now and nervous I'll be let down by something new

I would not ever say anything specifically against any wheel company (or any company for that matter) but I know I ride Formula Fours for a reason, same as I ride other specific brands of truck, bearing, grip, wood, shoe, etc.  They are what I find the best for what I like, but everyone is different and how would you ever know if you like it or not, if you only listened to others and didn't try them for yourself.

Maybe in my position I am lucky because I have access to a lot more stuff I can try if I want to, then pass it on to others or have used product come back to me so I can try it out after someone else is done with it.

Weigh up the options, cost and availability first, before you just madly jump in.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2755 on: January 17, 2021, 05:43:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would not ever say anything specifically against any wheel company (or any company for that matter) but I know I ride Formula Fours for a reason, same as I ride other specific brands of truck, bearing, grip, wood, shoe, etc.  They are what I find the best for what I like, but everyone is different and how would you ever know if you like it or not, if you only listened to others and didn't try them for yourself.

Maybe in my position I am lucky because I have access to a lot more stuff I can try if I want to, then pass it on to others or have used product come back to me so I can try it out after someone else is done with it.

Weigh up the options, cost and availability first, before you just madly jump in.

Haha I know what I like too, and as far as wheels go I am just at a point where I can't imagine finding anything better than f4's. But that's not to say there aren't good alternatives out there, and fortunately wheels are a justifiable expense.

Mostly just curious since it's a newish company and I don't know anyone personally who has ridden them. I remember trying some Prizefighter wheels on a whim years back and loving them though!

I might just cop to keep em, I love the little jazz crawdad.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2756 on: January 17, 2021, 08:54:18 AM »
got a couple things i want to check out, can't buy all of it tho. runners up are:

shoes: last resort vs state vs proper

trucks: film vs polster vs 215 indys made smaller

wheels: nfg mfg 95a vs f4 97a for rougher surfaces; nfg mfg/loophole 101a vs prize fighter(whenever those come out again) vs haze wheels to find a f4 99a alternative for whenever a drought hits again

decks: new craigwood vs some new dwindle stuff vs the dude from denmark who presses bloards

but maybe i'll just buy more baker decks, another pair of 1010s and stick with my trucks, because they are fine.

I just started following polster on the gram. The look cool. I don’t know anything else about them

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #2757 on: January 17, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »
Lakai Staple
Globe Mahalo
Diamond bearings

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2758 on: January 17, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »
Lakai Staple
Globe Mahalo
Diamond bearings
interesting list

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #2759 on: January 17, 2021, 09:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Lakai Staple
Globe Mahalo
Diamond bearings
[close]
interesting list

Only because these items are discounted and the shoes are available in my size.

I dont how good any of these items are. I got till monday to pull the trigger.