Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328839 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3630 on: September 07, 2023, 03:36:38 AM »
Tempted for some creamy white Joslins
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Kfresh

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3631 on: September 07, 2023, 04:20:23 AM »
Well, thats a bit discouraging. Im on a 8.25 palace and I love how it feels,  not really looking for a soggy piece of shit. Lol.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3632 on: September 07, 2023, 05:44:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone here ever ridden a Glue deck? I love the look of the 8.38 fly, but I've never seen one in a shop before. Curious of opinions before making an online order.
[close]

They’re from PS Stix. It could be the best deck you’ve ever had. Could also be a soggy piece of shit.

Same, it's a Love-Hate thing with PS Stix.

I love the WKND team but hate that they use PS Stix.

Pft, talk to me when you get some Space Man Silver Maranas

Almost got these on clearance a while back but logic pulled me away.

I'm a sucker for all things tech and contemplated getting these Marana Fiberlite shoes. Wouldn't surprise me if the Marana (and Joslin) if their best selling shoe, the Joslin was heavily inspired by the Marana.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 05:54:54 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3633 on: September 07, 2023, 06:30:22 AM »
Well, thats a bit discouraging. Im on a 8.25 palace and I love how it feels,  not really looking for a soggy piece of shit. Lol.

Palace is DSM so same wood shop as former dwindle brands. Maybe check out the woodshop page for other brands using the wood.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Kfresh

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3634 on: September 07, 2023, 06:56:04 AM »
 Thanks for the heads up DSM. Im just getting back into skating after like a 20 year hiatus. I remember dwindle being kind of crap. Im kind of shocked to learn that Im digging this board.made by the same woodshop. Always liked Louie though, so I may look into Jacuzzi when they release. The 8.25 feels a little small, Im really just looking to size up a little.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3635 on: September 07, 2023, 08:07:30 AM »
Thanks for the heads up DSM. Im just getting back into skating after like a 20 year hiatus. I remember dwindle being kind of crap. Im kind of shocked to learn that Im digging this board.made by the same woodshop. Always liked Louie though, so I may look into Jacuzzi when they release. The 8.25 feels a little small, Im really just looking to size up a little.

DSM decks from Thank You Supply have 8.5s in a couple of wheelbases which is nice depending on the brand or rider, usually a 14.25 or 14.5. Nice to have that option since most deck dimensions scale up with width.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3636 on: September 07, 2023, 07:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone here ever ridden a Glue deck? I love the look of the 8.38 fly, but I've never seen one in a shop before. Curious of opinions before making an online order.
[close]

They’re from PS Stix. It could be the best deck you’ve ever had. Could also be a soggy piece of shit.
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I'm a sucker for all things tech and contemplated getting these Marana Fiberlite shoes. Wouldn't surprise me if the Marana (and Joslin) if their best selling shoe, the Joslin was heavily inspired by the Marana.

Marana is definitely their best selling shoe (been around much longer - Michelin and non-Michelin versions). From interviews back in 2018 when they launched Chris's pro model, he talks about how the Marana was direct inspiration but wanted something slightly simpler and reliable. Rubber Toecap on the inside and not the outside.

I could see the Joslin eventually inching out Marana since it's seeing a noticeable uptick in people buying and skating them finally. The current version is their 2rd (technically 3rd) iteration of his model.

First 4 colorways had significantly more padding/puff than the rest of the colors until they updated the Joslin to the Josl1n. I personally think the latest version is the worst. But it's not bad, just not as ideal for my preferences. Fewer hidden lace protection options, less collar padding, but they do breathe better and still fit/skate well. Examples of the slight differences below:

L to R: 2018 / 2022 / 2023

Super Champion Fun Zone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3637 on: September 08, 2023, 01:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Marana is definitely their best selling shoe (been around much longer - Michelin and non-Michelin versions). From interviews back in 2018 when they launched Chris's pro model, he talks about how the Marana was direct inspiration but wanted something slightly simpler and reliable. Rubber Toecap on the inside and not the outside.

I could see the Joslin eventually inching out Marana since it's seeing a noticeable uptick in people buying and skating them finally. The current version is their 2rd (technically 3rd) iteration of his model.

First 4 colorways had significantly more padding/puff than the rest of the colors until they updated the Joslin to the Josl1n. I personally think the latest version is the worst. But it's not bad, just not as ideal for my preferences. Fewer hidden lace protection options, less collar padding, but they do breathe better and still fit/skate well. Examples of the slight differences below:

That Josl1n with the small claw thing Etnies logo on the sides is the newest version of the shoe, right?

I tried them yesterday with my cruiser board. 4 weeks without skating and my body still feels weird due to some medical issues. The first 5 minutes of pushing felt a bit unusual with these shoes. Then I popped the first Ollie and was like "holy shit, that felt good". Cruised a bit more and after like 20 minutes and a few more Ollies, I tried some flips. The first flick felt a bit strange, but then I figured it out. 3 tries for a Kickflip. 3 tries for a Fs Shuv. 6 tries for a Heelflip. I usually can't do any flips with new shoes and not without my ankle braces, but these all worked super fast. I had to do a few of them all until I got one of each that felt good. I don't know when I will be able to skate again.

That was the best one hour "session" I had in the last 2 months and I think I found my shoe.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk pals.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3638 on: September 08, 2023, 08:03:18 AM »

Dwindle wood is pretty good, now. I find it to be a little too stiff for me, but that's a preference thing and they're nothing like they were in ~2005.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3639 on: September 08, 2023, 11:07:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That Josl1n with the small claw thing Etnies logo on the sides is the newest version of the shoe, right?

I tried them yesterday with my cruiser board. 4 weeks without skating and my body still feels weird due to some medical issues. The first 5 minutes of pushing felt a bit unusual with these shoes. Then I popped the first Ollie and was like "holy shit, that felt good". Cruised a bit more and after like 20 minutes and a few more Ollies, I tried some flips. The first flick felt a bit strange, but then I figured it out. 3 tries for a Kickflip. 3 tries for a Fs Shuv. 6 tries for a Heelflip. I usually can't do any flips with new shoes and not without my ankle braces, but these all worked super fast. I had to do a few of them all until I got one of each that felt good. I don't know when I will be able to skate again.

That was the best one hour "session" I had in the last 2 months and I think I found my shoe.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk pals.

Stoked they're working for ya a bit in that intro session and hope any shoe madness goes away with more time in these.  The flick definitely takes some getting used to since it's grippy and feels a certain way compared to other cups with less firm rubber. They're a solid cupsole so they do take some time to mold to your foot, but they're gold once they're broken in.

The Josl1n that has the sideways E (my photo above) or the small claw E are the current version. They sometimes will swap the logo on the side: (ex: Bones collab or for a random colorway) so look for that model and it will have a mesh tongue. The mesh tongue also has a small tab on it for its "breathability tech" or something. Hard to see on my photo posted but is easier to see in person or from some stock photos.

I skate these and the Maranas often. I thoroughly enjoy both and find they still give adequate board feel once broken in
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3640 on: September 10, 2023, 03:29:04 AM »
Active Cash Chinos - anyone know how they fit length and inseam wise? They are straight leg which I prefer, some but not too much fabric around the shoes is what I'm looking for.

I started wearing the CCS Straight Fit Chino Pants and they are just right.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bill Salt

« Reply #3641 on: September 11, 2023, 01:47:47 AM »
I feel like trying those Last Resort shoes shoes but am really doubtful about the look and quality...I kinda liked the VM model but I find the latest cupsole model ugly lookin.

dj nipslip

« Reply #3642 on: September 11, 2023, 07:22:08 AM »
I feel like trying those Last Resort shoes shoes but am really doubtful about the look and quality...I kinda liked the VM model but I find the latest cupsole model ugly lookin.

I had the vm002, the board feel was alright but the materials didn't hold up to time. Worst part is the leather insole they glue in there, I swapped it out with vans pop cush. But if I'm paying 90 dollars for a shoe, I'd like to not dismantle it right away. If you can get them on sale I'd say check them out.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #3643 on: September 11, 2023, 07:31:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got the Telfords off Union a while back as chillers, they do run narrow and take forever to break in even with shoe stretchers. Haven't skated in Lakais in years but I'd recommend you try them on in store before pulling the trigger.
[close]
I could skate mine straight away and felt broken in. Which sole you have on yours?
[close]

The older, non-XLK ones. I got wide feet with bunions so most shoes with a narrow toe box (Nike / Adidas) need a 1/2 size up.

[close]

I had the black and gold ones with the same cup on it. Can confirm, tight toe box. But they broke in after session or two. Boardfeel, grip, and flick are all there. But lakais rubber doesn't last. Even with the vulc shoes. I had perez's shoes and they were shite. If you are flipping the board regularly. Try something else. 2 weeks and my kickflip area is gone. Compared to the 440's i've been skating. I think I got more than a month out of them. And that month is consistent skating almost everyday. Picked up some labor day sale and got some atlantics on the cheap. They have the xlk cup underneath and curious to try it. Expecting the same feel.
A friend gave me a couple of pairs of lightly used lakai telfords (this blue colorway from the pic, the welsh colorway and one other). All of them are super pointy and i am happy that the shoes are half size bigger so i can use them. My toes don't like this pointyness but i gotta say that the flips come super easy. The first two are with the thinnest sole (same as the pictured model) and i need to put 2 insoles in them, otherwise my feet hurts. The material also doesn't last very long. The third pair is with a thicker soles (the one that first came with the Alvarez model) and feels way better.

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3644 on: September 11, 2023, 08:27:03 AM »
My current trucks (Thunder Hollows) are about to die and I’ve stepped on a few friends boards who ride Aces and i really like them. Feel solid turn great, etc. Part of me wants to just go for classic Ace or AF1 and just get used to the heavier truck, but coming from a comparably pretty light truck to Aces which are def on the heavier side, should I get some AF1 Hollows to soften the blow? I ride an 8.5 with some sort of full shaped spitfire so I’m conscious of keeping the weight at least manageable (and I’m a baby)
(Cool Trick GIF)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3645 on: September 27, 2023, 05:54:23 PM »
sapient skateboards “guano” shape
9/32/14.5wb twin tail

gonna fuck with the wheelbase on this one
nose and tail are both 6.625
not a fan of twin tails and thats comically small for the nose
with a 7” nose and a 14.125wb id be set

graphic definitely has to go
anyone got links to a giant sticker? anywhere from 14” - 33”
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3646 on: September 27, 2023, 06:02:54 PM »
My current trucks (Thunder Hollows) are about to die and I’ve stepped on a few friends boards who ride Aces and i really like them. Feel solid turn great, etc. Part of me wants to just go for classic Ace or AF1 and just get used to the heavier truck, but coming from a comparably pretty light truck to Aces which are def on the heavier side, should I get some AF1 Hollows to soften the blow? I ride an 8.5 with some sort of full shaped spitfire so I’m conscious of keeping the weight at least manageable (and I’m a baby)

If you go Ace I'd go AF1 Hollow with the harder bushings and it'll still pop nothing like Thunders but be a bit more stable.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3647 on: September 27, 2023, 11:34:21 PM »
9/32/14.5wb twin tail

i dunno about this one

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3648 on: September 28, 2023, 12:37:45 AM »
Guano is definitely not a good name for a board or anything for that matter
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3649 on: September 28, 2023, 02:11:39 AM »
Expand Quote
9/32/14.5wb twin tail

[close]

i dunno about this one
may be great or suck completely
seen a cat out of the supreme van rip on a supreme uncut blank
flip tricks and all the good stuff, looked unbothered
from that point on i wanted to try something similar

fwiw i progressed a lot skating square fa/quasi noses
worse case scenario i go back to a blunter popsicle

just looked it up right now
sounds exactly like the name “sapient skateboards” would use
everything outside the shape itself could induce projectile vomit
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3650 on: September 28, 2023, 07:20:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
9/32/14.5wb twin tail

[close]

i dunno about this one
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

matt rodriquez had a similarly rectangular shape going.

oh the name and graphics are definitely cohesive.

trying wildly different products is fun

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3651 on: September 28, 2023, 07:39:00 AM »
Eeying a 8.38 Primitive + some X99 V6 54
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #3652 on: October 15, 2023, 03:35:59 PM »
Thinking about skating the Crail GO26 shape but I'm a bit hesitant. Reason being is that I'm in this mindset of trying to buy pro boards of pros I've admired for a long time but haven't supported with my money, and Jesus Fernandez is one of those pros. He's got a few boards out with nice colourways, but they're all G026 and I'm seeing mainly tepid reviews of that shape here on Slap. Might be wrong though but it seems like the majority of the G026 reviews are from around 2018 so maybe things have changed.

Apparently the G026 shape has a flat rail/concave - I've skated a flat crail board before and it felt weird, although it wasn't awful. I need some wing, so I'm on the fence.

srixon1006

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3653 on: November 01, 2023, 07:33:40 PM »
Thinking about skating the Crail GO26 shape but I'm a bit hesitant. Reason being is that I'm in this mindset of trying to buy pro boards of pros I've admired for a long time but haven't supported with my money, and Jesus Fernandez is one of those pros. He's got a few boards out with nice colourways, but they're all G026 and I'm seeing mainly tepid reviews of that shape here on Slap. Might be wrong though but it seems like the majority of the G026 reviews are from around 2018 so maybe things have changed.

Apparently the G026 shape has a flat rail/concave - I've skated a flat crail board before and it felt weird, although it wasn't awful. I need some wing, so I'm on the fence.
I have to set ups in g052 and g026. for some reason I tend to skate the g026 more. overall set up feels lighter, and since skating the g026, the g052's feels like a boat now.

srixon1006

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3654 on: November 01, 2023, 07:35:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have to set ups in g052 and g026. for some reason I tend to skate the g026 more. overall set up feels lighter, and since skating the g026, the g052's feels like a boat now.
always thought I was a blunt nose guy like the g052's. but since skating the g026, I prefer taper nose now.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3655 on: November 03, 2023, 05:15:44 PM »
polar 9.0
hopefully this is the shape i stick with

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3656 on: November 03, 2023, 05:26:05 PM »
polar 9.0

this looks really sick

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #3657 on: November 03, 2023, 07:31:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
9/32/14.5wb twin tail

[close]

i dunno about this one
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Did you watch the promo video? The guy is pressing these boards in his basement. Hope he has good ventilation.

https://sapientskateboards.com/about/

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3658 on: November 03, 2023, 08:27:08 PM »
Expand Quote
polar 9.0

[close]

this looks really sick
wrong thread, technically skate shit i bought recently

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
9/32/14.5wb twin tail

[close]

i dunno about this one
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Did you watch the promo video? The guy is pressing these boards in his basement. Hope he has good ventilation.

https://sapientskateboards.com/about/
bless his lungs and name picking capacities

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #3659 on: November 04, 2023, 08:30:07 AM »
no homo....