Author Topic: Skate 4 Hype  (Read 46126 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Skate 4 Hype
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2022, 11:44:57 AM »
I didn’t know the lead dev left session? Any more info on that?

I think sessions controls are the best of the lot but the flow of the game is too stilted and the weight distribution isn’t there. Hopefully V1 pulls it all together.

This new update looks super goofy but some of the grinds looked slick. I’m keen for it either way. XL is dogshit, which is a shame as it was easy and fun and if they kept developing it it could have been good but it’s super boring.

I just want weight distribution and momentum to be the core of one skate game. It would fill in all the gaps where these games fall flat. Slappies, wallies, turning inertia, landing from different heights, balancing on grinds etc.

That publisher Nacon or whatever got involved some time ago. They added some producers onto the game. Main guy announced a few weeks ago that he's no longer involved.

Not a ton of known. If I had to guess

1) burnout... They've been working hard on this one game for almost a decade

2) creative control being taken away from him by punisher/producers

3) general issues with publisher, monetization, post-release plan

Never sell your baby folks. You'll regret it.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2022, 11:50:20 AM »
Expand Quote

I think sessions controls are the best of the lot but the flow of the game is too stilted and the weight distribution isn’t there. Hopefully V1 pulls it all together.

This new update looks super goofy but some of the grinds looked slick. I’m keen for it either way. XL is dogshit, which is a shame as it was easy and fun and if they kept developing it it could have been good but it’s super boring.

I just want weight distribution and momentum to be the core of one skate game. It would fill in all the gaps where these games fall flat. Slappies, wallies, turning inertia, landing from different heights, balancing on grinds etc.
[close]

That publisher Nacon or whatever got involved some time ago. They added some producers onto the game. Main guy announced a few weeks ago that he's no longer involved.

huh?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

huh?

Was originally conceived in 2015, think the first demo came out two years later

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2022, 12:34:21 PM »
Will a Release in 2022 be possible? I doubt that

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #274 on: July 01, 2022, 12:35:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

huh?
[close]

Was originally conceived in 2015, think the first demo came out two years later

oh I just reread the original post and thought y'all were talking about Skate 4 lol.

My mistake

FuzzGNU

« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »

Slate 4? Closed beta testing sign-up came with that trailer release, but from how they are framing it in the trailer, its probably not ready for a 2022 release.

2023 seems pretty much guaranteed though. I don't think I've ever seen a major publishers' game have a publicly accessible closed beta more than 6 months out from release.

If they are making a $60 game, they might try to push it out for Christmas... but if they are going with some sort of Free2Play multiplayer monetization, they might just release it for free whenever it is ready in early 2023.

I guess we will see what this closed beta looks like.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2022, 11:11:26 PM »
I signed up to be a tester after a 2 hour wait. Ill bet anyone here i get in because im on pc and not on console. its kinda looking like hardcore parkour.

Jebediah

• Rep: 111
« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2022, 08:01:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I only hope they allow us to turn pedestrians off, like in the first game. They drive me crazy whenever I fire up skate 3 on the xbox. I finally have a good PC so I'm looking forward to messing around with mods.
[close]

Pretty sure You can turn off traffic and pedestrians in free play in 3 just not in career mode. Quick switch and you can play as yourself or pros (might be mis remembering I only really play career)

Thanks Champion

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2022, 08:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Slate 4? Closed beta testing sign-up came with that trailer release, but from how they are framing it in the trailer, its probably not ready for a 2022 release.

2023 seems pretty much guaranteed though. I don't think I've ever seen a major publishers' game have a publicly accessible closed beta more than 6 months out from release.

If they are making a $60 game, they might try to push it out for Christmas... but if they are going with some sort of Free2Play multiplayer monetization, they might just release it for free whenever it is ready in early 2023.

I guess we will see what this closed beta looks like.

If they're smart they won't do this. EA already has such a negative reputation and this is a beloved franchise that's only coming back because fans demanded it. They really need to take their time with this and do it right.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2022, 03:22:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shit aye.  Thanks.  Yeah, it seems like they're being pushed now to get it out, and I just dont think they got the core of it right.  I love the control scheme, but its not super fun.  The way they handle switch is rad though, and their rotations are looking good.  Its always a worry when someone else pours money into a passion project, as they're just wanting money and finding the easiest path to it. 

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2022, 09:57:00 AM »
feel like the same thing is happening with Shredders. still no nose/tailpresses is ridiculous. it was in their previous game TSG..
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectsession/comments/v6mpln/marcandre_houde_person_behind_the_vision_of/

I was able to find this on Reddit.
Bummer but that never really seemed like it was gonna be more than it is now to me.
Making a skating game in unreal engine seems like a real tricky deal to me. I dunno why every skate game has people rag doll from hitting a rock. It's the most frustrating unrealistic thing ever.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2022, 10:50:18 AM »
some playtest info just leaked on reddit. everything seems pretty promising
https://www.reddit.com/r/Skate4/comments/vsvhyg/skate_4_playtest_info_leak_map_leak/
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2022, 06:58:28 AM »
I'm worried that there will be too much of an emphasis on arcade-style general audience styles of play.

Looking at the leaked footage it seems that they are heavily pushing the online multiplayer, park creation, and everything in the game but the actual act of skateboarding.

Just keep hardcore mode, let me skate around a semi-realistic environment with cool terrain/obstacles, and I will be happy as a clam.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
Some good info leaked here
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/vsv7ka/skate_4_playtest_leak/

Playtest was still untextured as in the recent trailer and the leak some months ago
runs on Frostbite Engine
Map: Test map was called "Fun City". Seems to be only a small test section of the full map
Test map was a mixture of new areas and old untextured areas from the original games. Community Center from Skate 1 was included even with details like the mini-ramp where we all learned pumping. So maybe "San Vansterdam" could be the third redesign of San Vanelona. But it could also be a completely new city with some of the original map pieces which were only included for the playtest.
One spot "The Space Store" had a giant sculpture of Saturn
Bus stops are fast travel points. Yes, literally bus stops. You can see their icons on the map image above
Three different controls presets: Classic, Streamlined, Experienced.Could maybe replace the difficulty settings and be more suitable for different playstyles ranging from ultra-realistic to arcade insane Skate 3 like tricklines. There were also controls dedicated to PC players.
Two camera options: high and low camera angle. Could be switched instantly by pressing the right stick
First time in the Skate series where you can choose to push with the sticks. Can be turned off.
Character customization: In the playtest there were some different shirts and cap colors which could be equipped and in the final game it's crucial to progress in the game and improve your skills in order to unlock new clothes and items. For example you need a certain skill level to purchase clothes from Dime.
You can have coloured griptapes
Career: Tester compared the career to Tony Hawks Proving Ground. It's all about Skating, sharing & creativity. Followers mean something.
Playtester thinks he played the "online career" and that a seperate but similar experience is being underwraps.
Emotes will return. No big surprise, since Skate 2 already had emotes long before it became a trend to implement emotes in every game.
Players are not mute. They have voices but in the playtest they only said "cheers" and basic stuff related to the emotes. We don't know if we will have a fully voiced character with own dialogue in cutscenes.
there will be a home skate park. Your "home" or private skate park is essentially the training park you build in the tutorial and from there on you have to actually fully build it.
there are crafting material and blueprints for skate park items
There is an in-game currency that you earn by completing challenges, objectives and collectibles. You can use this currency to buy clothes and other items like crafting material
Video editing confirmed. You can buy frames and stickers for your skate videos.
The most liked pics and videos will show up on billboards.
There is a level system which goes up to level 100. It's tied to different aspects like creating, having fun (skating) and sharing videos and pictues
No miracle whips, dark catches, finger flips for now at least. Will most probably be in the final game.
No sign of Hall Of Meat mode yet. We don't know if it will be added later.
Ragdoll physics are more ragdolly compared to Skate 3 where the ragdoll physics were really stiff
Instead of being respawned out of thin air, you will actually see an animation how your player get's back up on their feet
You can roll and slide when you are on foot
There is some kind of spectator mode where you get teleported to a neat location or other players will be teleported to you. I guess it's what we see in the trailer at 00:39 where we see the crowd cheering. (Hopefully they spectators will be in a kind of passive mode, so that the game will not become a griefer festival of ruining other players lines by throwing their boards at them or blocking them in any other way)
There were around 60 people on the server. The laggyness smoothed once the player count was reached.
There was no player collision in the playtest
"Owning" and "Killing" spots returns and is extended by "Shut it down"
The game feels slightly faster than Skate 3 in terms of push speed and and overall speed. But we should not worry about the realism, it's only SLIGHTLY faster.
If you go REALLY fast it will be incredibly hard to control your board
Realistic audio like traffic noises and birds chirping were already implemented

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2022, 09:44:47 PM »
Watching that guy in the playtest mongo pushing down transitions was fuckin' classic skate and really ground my gears.  The
Flick-it controls are back too, hope there's a dual stick option, because fuck that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 09:51:38 PM by radcunt »

FuzzGNU

« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2022, 12:36:30 AM »
Watching that guy in the playtest mongo pushing down transitions was fuckin' classic skate and really ground my gears.  The
Flick-it controls are back too, hope there's a dual stick option, because fuck that.

You nailed my most relevant thoughts in a short reply.

bugtown

• Rep: 47
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2022, 12:37:10 AM »
There's mods for SkaterXL where you can adjust your flip speed, pop height, foot tweak etc...

Whereas the big brains at EA spent their time perfecting swinging physics for while you're parkouring around a concrete mega ramp plaza. Seriously, how difficult would it be to add a simple stats/physics slider? That feature alone would add so much longevity. I guess anyone who wants a decent skate sim on console will be waiting til their grave.

It seems the selection criteria for playtesters is mongo pushers who enjoy laserflips. It really takes me back to before Skate 1 came out; all I wanted to see was a simple back tail or flip nose manny. These leakers must be direct descendants from the original batch of mongo pushing 360 hardflippers.

In the teaser video you can see a nice new 180 no comply animation. Not one person is attempting it in all this gameplay footage.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2022, 05:22:07 AM »
If anyones on PC, you can play it.  Some maniac has ripped the alpha lol.  Link is in the comments, but do so at your own risk etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb5ETDDfq_s&t=71s

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2022, 07:45:24 AM »
yea i get a strong feeling that this game is gonna be hot garbage for us expecting a real skateboarding sim. looks like EA only cares about the parkour/megaramp people which is very unfortunate
- Crailtap

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2022, 04:40:13 PM »
yea i get a strong feeling that this game is gonna be hot garbage for us expecting a real skateboarding sim. looks like EA only cares about the parkour/megaramp people which is very unfortunate

Yeah It’s just skate 3 updated. It’s not gonna go the sim route and frankly I’m happy with that as long as Session gets better and this new skate game that dude is making actually nails the sim / fun balance. Just bummed about the old controls but surely they’ll add double stick..

newguy

« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2022, 02:24:02 AM »
Are you seriously able to buy clothes from Dime in game? Lmao that’s wild

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2022, 10:10:45 AM »
They’ve finally replaced the 3 shuv with an impossible. Very happy. :)
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2022, 12:21:30 PM »
they may have changed the name but the motion still looks like a 3 shuv, there's no foot wrapping motion. hoping they also work on the motions for bigspins
- Crailtap

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they may have changed the name but the motion still looks like a 3 shuv, there's no foot wrapping motion. hoping they also work on the motions for bigspins

Rather it doesn’t look too perfect like THPS

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »
a full pres conference is happening tomorrow. maybe we will get a release announcement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMgtFyrQLk
- Crailtap

internetname

• Rep: 14
« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMgtFyrQLk

The game is gonna be a free to play live service with microtransactions for cosmetics and stuff. As long as you can free skate alone or in private lobbies I don't really mind but a lot of people seem bummed on it.

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2022, 10:34:00 AM »
Maybe f2p helps to build a strrong community for years to come?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2022, 10:58:06 AM »
Anything much for takeaways other than free 2 play, micro transactions and cross platform online play?  Not watching the full thing but I assume thats all that really matters lol

Also will have to get used to calling it just Skate. Instead of skate 4... whack